Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

ZX7R wrote: »
    It all ready has started to cool down in eastern europe -7 and snowing the last 48 hours in the part of Poland my my wife is from

I had friends just back from krakow and they said it wasn’t cold really at all. Seemed to be about +6 degrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    It was grey and cloudy alright for the most part in Mayo today. Here are just a couple of snaps that I managed to take just below the cloud line on my way up and down the Reek today. No views at all in the cloud on top but at least it kept dry and days like today are good for getting out and about in.

Were conditions tough? Had coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 into Castlebar hospital both yesterday and today from Croagh Patrick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    It was grey and cloudy alright for the most part in Mayo today. Here are just a couple of snaps that I managed to take just below the cloud line on my way up and down the Reek today. No views at all in the cloud on top but at least it kept dry and days like today are good for getting out and about in.

No snow or ice up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Midnight reports: Dublin airport 3C and Casement 12C.

Biggest difference I've ever seen, extraordinary for such a short distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Midnight reports: Dublin airport 3C and Casement 12C.

Biggest difference I've ever seen, extraordinary for such a short distance.

If that’s a correct reading from Casement Airbase well then that’s astonishing. 8c couple of miles inland here in Naas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Were conditions tough? Had coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 into Castlebar hospital both yesterday and today from Croagh Patrick.

Not overly bad I would say. A dry day makes a difference and I avoid the reek in the rain if possible. Sheltered enough from the southerly wind going up on the Murrisk side but the wind was very strong once you reached the top of the first main ridge before you swing right for the mountain proper. I did feel that the wind moderated after that and it was not overly windy on the summit at all but it was cold in the mist up there.
    I saw that unfortunate walker being airlifted late this afternoon as the evening was drawing in and also unluckily it was only a couple of hundred metres from the statue and and not too far from the bottom. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.
    Mountain was fairly busy with walkers overall today I felt.

No snow or ice up there?

Not even a solitary hailstone Snow Garden! I think that the recent mild weather put pay to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I had friends just back from krakow and they said it wasn’t cold really at all. Seemed to be about +6 degrees

Different part of Poland,2 days before the cold started it was +12.

Currently-4 in Krakow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ZX7R wrote: »
    Different part of Poland,2 days before the cold started it was +12.

Currently-4 in Krakow

Where I live, Currently -13 in southern malapolska (60km south of krakow) with 40-50cm snow. Above 1000m in our village close to 2m snow.
    But yes, run up to Christmas it was +18c.

But looking at models now, weather turns very hot and cold.
    It's quite unusual for there to be such big swings.
    ECM and GFS all seem to say the same. Hot, cold, hot, cold (for central and eastern Europe).

I've just seen that some part of Scotland recorded 16.8c at 3am this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Temp here in Dublin 16 (nearby) was 15.3c around that time.

Cheers, I knew I was in your neck of the woods you might corroborate.

Sky News have a short piece on their website now about a Foehn effect temp of 16.8 in the Scottish highlands at 3am, I imagine this was a similar phenomenon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Very pleasant again in Cork today. After cold this is the next best type of weather in winter. Long may it continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Manky, dull, drizzly day Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Slight few light drizzle drops in cork city, grey skies, mild but everything is damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭pauldry

It was 16.8c in Scotland at 3am last night

The only white Christmases well be getting in the future will be ash from burning forests

7 to 13c looks the temperatures for the next 14 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Horrible dark, cloudy and gloomy day here in Tipp. Utterly depressing weather:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Light drizzle in Limk City now. Very grey and murky. Almost eerie silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Damp and drizzle in easy Galway. I really hope we get a second cold shot in February. Very mild second half of December.

Patches of showery rain sweep across Killala Bay this morning as seen from Inishcrone (Enniscrone) strand in Co.Sligo. This in turn was followed by the hint and half promise of a partial clearance from the northwest.
    Have to say, there is something magical and invigorating about an Irish beach on a winter's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Miserable, mild, mizzle muck all day in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Cloudy, gloomy weather I can tolerate if it is dry, but not when there those constant spits of greasy rain that barely registers anything in the gauge, yet keeps the place absolutely saturated.

Like today :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Dirty aul grey day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In Dun Laoghaire, it has been a day of what I call, no weather. It is 10C, so you don't need the winter woolies much, it isn't raining, it isn't sunny, there is an even veil of mid-grey cloud which looks neither threatening nor promising. The breeze scarcely registers, just a slight movement of the air really.

All in all, weatherless....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In Dun Laoghaire, it has been a day of what I call, no weather. It is 10C, so you don't need the winter woolies much, it isn't raining, it isn't sunny, there is an even veil of mid-grey cloud which looks neither threatening nor promising. The breeze scarcely registers, just a slight movement of the air really.

The type of weather we are getting atm reminds of much of the first half of last winter. Waking up every day to mild cloudy dull muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭appledrop

Larbre34 wrote: »

In other words perfect winter weather for family days out!. Seriously this Christmas has been brilliant for families. Playgrounds + parks packed everyday. You can actually stay out for more than an hour without been frozen. Biggest bonus is lack of rain + wind. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Weather chart showing 850 temps & pressure for this time last year. Wouldn't you swear that this a chart from today?

RutDHs9.png

Seems to be an increasing feature of our winters lately for the Azores high to move in over western Europe and lodge itself there for considerable periods of time. The Atlantic just can't seem to power up at all anymore.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Weather chart showing 850 temps & pressure for this time last year. Wouldn't you swear that this a chart from today?

Seems to be an increasing feature of our winters lately for the Azores high to move in over western Europe and lodge itself there for considerable periods of time. The Atlantic just can't seem to power up at all anymore.

That is true at the moment but when it does power up again it will make up for its absence probably with a vengeance.

The wet blankets over on Netweather are writing off winter already. Why does this happen every year?

The facts are:

December is rarely colder than Jan or Feb
    Models are useless beyond 10 days
    Background signals and their impact on our weather is little understood

Let's see what happens over the remaining NINE weeks of meteorological winter.....

Good day to get the grass cut today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Loving this weather. Looks like it will be nice for NYE too. Great for cycling and just walking and everything. I don't know why people would like it to be colder, it just means being outside is unpleasant, and it's not like it ever snows anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Loving this weather. Looks like it will be nice for NYE too. Great for cycling and just walking and everything. I don't know why people would like it to be colder, it just means being outside is unpleasant, and it's not like it ever snows anyway.

It`s all very well having these mild conditions at present but personally I would prefer to have cold weather (be that cold rain, hail, sleet, snow) now rather than having it next spring which in all likelihood is what will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It`s all very well having these mild conditions at present but personally I would prefer to have cold weather (be that cold rain, hail, sleet, snow) now rather than having it next spring which in all likelihood is what will happen.

It doesn't work that way. Its not like there's a certain amount of weather that has to be distributed out over the year.

A nice white frost. Central Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Moscow had its warmest December on record with no snow on the ground at Christmas. That’s when you know it’s a mild winter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Has anyone got a torch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭appledrop

This is Ireland! We could have the crappest, coldest winter possible + it could still rain all summer.

I would have no problem with cold weather if guaranteed lovely spring/summer but never works like that here so take each day as it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry calm quite new years eve here in Castlebar. Clear skies to the east. All in all,nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Everything is all white after a good hard frost. Lovely end to the year. -Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Since the Atlantic is much quieter in recent years maybe summers like we got in 2018 might become more common...I remember hearing a guy on the radio my years ago talking about how the Atlantic goes through cycles around every 15 years or so where storms increase then decrease...maybe we are in a quieter cycle right now

Some blue sky but also some very dark clouds here in West cork this new years eve, no frost down here! City is much the same.i am being told, maybe less windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Beautiful day in Letterkenny, bright, cloudless skies, no wind, a hard frost still on the ground and fog lying in the valleys, as nice as it gets at this time of year :)

• Advertisement

Very calm in West cork. Drove up over the cliff and there was a beautiful sunset over the far ocean with the close ocean being a vrey-blue colour due to the dark clouds. Was lovely, no waves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Car covered in a hard frost already -Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Since the Atlantic is much quieter in recent years maybe summers like we got in 2018 might become more common...I remember hearing a guy on the radio my years ago talking about how the Atlantic goes through cycles around every 15 years or so where storms increase then decrease...maybe we are in a quieter cycle right now

Looks like I spoke too soon...potential for very bad storms next week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Looks like I spoke too soon...potential for very bad storms next week

Will I be able to travel from Roundstone to Wexford via Carrick-on-Shannon leaving at 1:35pm next Thursday or will the worst of it be over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Fairly depressing forecast from M.T for those that want some cold wintry weather in winter....

"For January then, the prediction is for temperatures 1 or even 2 deg above normal, and rainfall possibly staying a bit below the January average, although not a dry month, just less rain than is often the case. I don't think there will be much wintry weather until perhaps near the end of the month, if at all"

Fingers crossed for February then

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Beautiful day out in Kinsealy cold but clean crisp air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

kod87 wrote: »
    Fairly depressing forecast from M.T for those that want some cold wintry weather in winter....

"For January then, the prediction is for temperatures 1 or even 2 deg above normal, and rainfall possibly staying a bit below the January average, although not a dry month, just less rain than is often the case. I don't think there will be much wintry weather until perhaps near the end of the month, if at all"

Fingers crossed for February then

But an utterly fantastic prediction for those of us who had enough snow in 2010 to last a lifetime, bring on mild😀

But an utterly fantastic prediction for those of us who had enough snow in 2010 to last a lifetime, bring on mild��

Mild and wet is utterly fantastic? Each to their own.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Mild and wet is utterly fantastic? Each to their own.....

Well as long as it's not wet every day
    2 or 3 times a week is fine
    Keep things growing

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Well as long as it's not wet every day
    2 or 3 times a week is fine
    Keep things growing

In that case it will be permanently damp, nothing dries out this time of year without a dry spell. No thanks. This week gone has been great, cloudy but not cold and most importantly very dry.

Advertisement