Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

January has some of the most boring weather sometimes...which is surprising as its the middle of winter:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hooter23 wrote: »
    January has some of the most boring weather sometimes...which is surprising as its the middle of winter:confused:

Most/all months tend to be extremely boring in this country, hence why we get 100+ page threads every time it gets a bit breezy or chilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

highdef wrote: »
    Where in Dublin is it -5c? I highly doubt that anywhere in Dublin is even at or within a degree or two of 0c. I'm about 40km West of Dublin city, in a rural area and in a frost hollow and my temperature is barely below 0c.

With the windchill it is definitely below 0. Has been so for several weeks. Not cold enough in the atmosphere to snow, but on the ground, in the wind, it is absolutely deadly.

2019 has been an astonishingly horrible year weather-wise. Hoping 2020 is a sweltering tropical paradise in order to balance the scales a little but. Which isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Footpaths sparkling in the lights and cars all frosted over in my estate in Cork city this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

0.3c in Arklow currently
    Sw breeze at 8 to 10kmh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Wonder could fog be a problem tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

-1 Kinsale coast ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The roads and footpaths an hour ago had that unsettling shiny look. I went for a walk but didn’t go that far and avoided hills(which is a skill on the north side of cork city)

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

The vast majority of road stations are above zero to well above zero
    Except Arklow, Enniscorthy, and those in Waterford and Cork

-1.4c here in Arklow at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Gritters out Meath CC.
    Got off the bus earlier and very slippy on paths.
    2 ⁰

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Snow on some of the Mountain's today.

fl9mKjI.jpg?1

about -2 in my garden in Cork City. Cars covered in a thick frost. Car drove into the estate a minute ago and made the black ice shine on the road. Dangerous conditions tonight id say. Gritter is going up and down the main roa

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Has been a fairly miserable evening and night in this part of Mayo. A showery band of rain pushed in from the northwest. There was some traces of sleet in it during the earlier heavy pulses but sleet is only the greatest disappointment of them all! Temperature has been hovering just over 4c here.
    After a not too bad November in these parts, the place is sodden again. Would gladly take a dry week be it mild or frosty, but not on the cards in the next number of days.
    I see Moore Park registered -3 at 10 and 11pm and regular posters in the east and south recording below freezing temps. Meanwhile as I type, I hear the rain drumming on the roof again. Would have been fun and games if a couple of degrees colder.

Heavy frost. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

-3 degrees just outside the North side of Cork City right now. Roads will definitely be slippery in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Twas a carefully slow spin home. Recorded -3C as well

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭riggerman

Just back from work, reading minus 3 from cork City to West Cork. The roads are sparkling like diamonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Could be some ninja snow with that band of moisture moving across the country.

Kutebride wrote: »
    Heavy frost. Meath.

This disappeared overnight? Still 2 degrees but not slippy like yesterday morning.
    Calm. Overcast.
    Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

2C and spitting rain in Naas. I was expecting frost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

riggerman wrote: »
    Just back from work, reading minus 3 from cork City to West Cork. The roads are sparkling like diamonds.

Yep, diamonds sparkling under the street lights in Greystones as well. So roads could be quite dangerous this morning for motorists, especially on the back roads.

Lucreto wrote: »
    2C and spitting rain in Naas. I was expecting frost.

-2 in Arklow and very frosty at the moment

Everything white (with frost :p) this morning in cork city. Thick frost and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary and Waterford

Heavy rain will push northeastwards on Wednesday with rainfall accumulations of 30-40mm expected with the risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 04:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019 to 19:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019

Issued: 10:00 Tuesday 17/12/2019

147888-E4-6-C27-43-E1-9-AC2-2-D5785-D3-AA4-F.jpg

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Southeast winds, later veering southerly will gust 90-110km/h on Wednesday, strongest in coastal areas.

Valid: 12:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019 to 23:59 Wednesday 18/12/2019

Issued: 10:00 Tuesday 17/12/2019

Exactly what we need, i thought the garden was looking a bit dry without the puddles alright.

Still cold out there in cork city this morning though, cars still covered in hard frost.

Light snizzle here near Arklow at the moment
    Actual flakes!
    Falling onto frozen ground too
    Wasnt expecting that but not surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cold! Clear skies though so won't complain. Car said -1 at 10 AM but wouldn't trust that.

Yesterday my fingers were numb for a while, luckily today I'm not working.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no frost this morning in Meath but it is cold and slightly foggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cold clear with long spells of December sunshine here in Castlebar. Sunset at 4.16pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fairly dense fog just set in over Galway city, very unexpected, it was sunny 15 minutes ago.

Advertisement