Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Went eagle birdie birdie tonight.

Hole out from 108 yards
    birdie on par 3
    2 putt birdie on par 5.

Probably should retire and call it quits.

Fair play, that’s cracking shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

What's the highest handicap you can get? I believe you've to join a club to get an official handicap but for a complete beginner what is the highest possible handicap? I can't afford to join a club right now and I'm only out about once a month, is it ok to use an unofficial handicap for now, just when playing with friends.

I was out last week and a mate marked us with a handicap of 24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

This is it wrote: »
    What's the highest handicap you can get? I believe you've to join a club to get an official handicap but for a complete beginner what is the highest possible handicap? I can't afford to join a club right now and I'm only out about once a month, is it ok to use an unofficial handicap for now, just when playing with friends.

I was out last week and a mate marked us with a handicap of 24
    54 is the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Someone once said that no one ever posts their bad rounds here

So 17 (6/11) points off 19. I really dont know. I actually hit some good shots

But I hit a lot of bad ones. There was no redeeming feature

Lots of work to be done this week before next weeks medal as I am not playing 18 holes strokeplay like that

So my first round back on home course since this disaster. Went to the range beforehand. Was hitting it awful. Just couldnt get a rhythym

Stepped on the first. Awful swing. But in the middle of the fairwayy. Second shot 6 iron out of bounds. Reloaded and settled for a 7.....

Stood on the second tee and decided only half swings for me!! 5 pars and 3 bogies for the rest of the back 9 - 41 strokes

Started back 9 par par and ended up having 3 pars and 6 bogies! 41 in too!

82 shots total minus 19 for a 63 in the medal! Should be in with a shot. Some very tough pin positions

Equal best score on course but this time I get the cut! Had a 78 in a team comp but didnt really count that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pretty bad round today, with 31 points/93 strokes. Annoyed, cause i played so well yesterday during a social round, then messed up the Captains Prize qualifiers. Won't qualify with that score, which is frustrating. Irons were bloody awful today. Don't think i hit a single good shot with any mid-long iron. Putting and wedges were good as usual, and driver was very hit and miss.

Ah well, onto the next round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

First round playing with my reduced handicap of 20. Overall solid round but had 3 poor holes on the back 9. Finished with a net 73, 3 over par which I was happy enough with. I’ll be in the buffer zone so no further cut. I probably would have been hit with a further cut for exceptional play if I had had a level par round today after the win last week. Happy with how I’m striking the ball and putting and enjoying my golf a lot more than I had been before lock down

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Disappointing finish today.

+3 front 9 for 19 points
    +4 through 12. Still one ahead of handicap.

Double bogey scratch on easy par 5 then birdie on low index par 4 for 4 pointer so still ahead of handicap through 14.

Finished the round with 2 x 3 putts and a 4 putt. Only 4 points in last 4 holes.

33 points but played much better than that so a disappointing 0.1 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

37 points today off 14, 17 out and 20 in. 2 scratches into the mix. Small cut hopefully to get the season rolling.

Quiet happy with how the return is going, game starting to come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Played Portmarnock during the week. What a course, second time playing it and loved every minute. Ideal conditions too.

Played the front 9 level par. Birdied the first, bogey on 8 and rest pars.
    Birdie 10, bogey 11, great birdie on 13 after hitting green in 2. Then the wheels fell off with a triple and a double. One more bogey on 17 and finish with a 77.

Played as good as I could for 13 holes really thought a level par round was on. Brilliant course, can't wait to get out again.

3 birdies
    10 pars
    3 bogeys
    1 double
    1 triple

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

frink wrote: »
    Played Portmarnock during the week. What a course, second time playing it and loved every minute. Ideal conditions too.

Played the front 9 level par. Birdied the first, bogey on 8 and rest pars.
    Birdie 10, bogey 11, great birdie on 13 after hitting green in 2. Then the wheels fell off with a triple and a double. One more bogey on 17 and finish with a 77.

Played as good as I could for 13 holes really thought a level par round was on. Brilliant course, can't wait to get out again.

3 birdies
    10 pars
    3 bogeys
    1 double
    1 triple

Old course??
    Great scoring if so, beast of a track that can ruin you on any hole

• Advertisement

Disappointing round today 28 points 8/20 off 23, front 9 was a nightmare two way miss with driver felt like I was over swinging. Back 9 opened with with 2 pars and bogeyed it in from there, 2 putts hit flag and cam out for pars so could have been better. Just need to stop trying to kill the ball and a score and cut will come

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Old course??
    Great scoring if so, beast of a track that can ruin you on any hole

Yeah the old course, played from green tees and it's still 6800 yards! The blue tees are ridiculous. It's tough but you rarely get unfair bounces despite hitting good shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

32 points off 10 from the whites at Old Head.

Very happy with the score, greens are the best I’ve ever played, so fast. Easily lost 6 shots on the greens. Was happy to start and finish with the same ball and no scratches.

What a course! It has to be seen for real to appreciate how good the place is. Condition of the course was unreal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

frink wrote: »
    Yeah the old course, played from green tees and it's still 6800 yards! The blue tees are ridiculous. It's tough but you rarely get unfair bounces despite hitting good shots.

Still excellent shooting.. it’s punishing if you make a mistake out there, have played it a few times and it’s owned me a few..
    fair play, 17 is a beast

• Registered Users Posts: 27,080 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1 front with two birdies
    +4 back with 2 silly bogeys from nowhere and a mental error double

Played late and was very tired on back 9, lost over a club of distance.
    30 putts but felt like nothing dropped.

Two weeks in a row playing to handicap so have to be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Not posted on this for a few weeks but as it was mostly casual golf albeit a few side wagers I've been quite steady. First 3 comps back its been 37 (2nd in class) 36 (2nd in class) and today started with an 8 on first and by the time I got to 9 I'd birdied 9 to go out in 16 pts, by the time I reached the 18th green I'd a 15 ft birdie putt for 38 pts, a 2 putt would have got me 2nd in class again, even a 2 putt par may have got it for me as it would be a 21 B9.. I 4 putted, ground open up and swallow me.. Anyway happy out new swing bedding in well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

Sometimes you just have to take the bad rounds and move on.

Went for a round today with a good friend who I hadn’t seen in ages and spent more time catching up than playing golf so head probably wasn’t fully in it.

Scratched two holes but made my first birdie in ages for 28 points off 22 and 101 strokes.

Had 34 points and 94 strokes yesterday and have been shooting in the mid 90’s so not too concerned with today as I know I wasn’t fully committed.

Goal is to break 90 before the summer is over so think I’m on track. Driver still a bit wild but have to think more about course management. Am liable to a slice of a driver and use it way too much instead of a long iron tee shot and playing it safe so just need to think more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Medal yesterday.
    Putter is finally working, been getting better recently and now once I’m inside 10 feet or so I really feel good over them with probably 7 out of 10 dropping. I did have 2 3putts yesterday, both resulting from weak first putts from distance. Actually I hit a few first putts which weren’t great but was in the zone and the ones back were never in doubt.

Swing was tired though, a few to many duff shots were the only real downsides of my game, wasn’t getting the usual distance with a lot of strikes.

.1 I’m afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Medal this morning

87-16 for net 71, 1 over.

Played a lot better than recently and putted much better highlight being a 30 footer for birdie.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

21 points yesterday in Blainroe 10/11
    First society outing since before lock down, went down full of confidence after alot of practice where iv seen big improvements.

Just could not hit my driver yesterday, I was fighting against a horrible hook all day, 7 scratches and I think 5 of them I was hitting 3 of the tee. Felt like crying with frustration.
    Didn't help I bought a pair of summer/trainer like golf shoes and they where too tight. In agony with them on from about 9th hole on.

It seems to be the same story all the time with me. Can play well on a casual round and crumble when playing competition.

Only positive was I got new 2nd hand irons and hit them quite well.

• Advertisement

Medal this morning

87-16 for net 71, 1 over.

Played a lot better than recently and putted much better highlight being a 30 footer for birdie.

Only at least 10 off winning score!!

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Only at least 10 off winning score!!

Probably. If i can stop the .1s ill be happy.

Probably. If i can stop the .1s ill be happy.
    Thats a fact. I know there was a net 61. I had a net 63

Delighted to get the cut to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Being doing ok last few weeks. In the 33 to 37 points range (off 24). Go right then, get cards in and get HC down at last...feckin 23. 😪🀮

Love this game. Hate this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

46 pts in weekend competition. +3 gross off 13. Everything went my way. Handicap now 11. Came second :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wombatman wrote: »
    46 pts in weekend competition. +3 gross off 13. Everything went my way. Handicap now 11. Came second :(

Jaysis...2nd with 46 points? Was it a big competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

threw my back out badly before a matchplay game at the weekend and stupidly played the game. Back is in an absolute jock since. Have had a herniated disc for the last 10 years or so. Pain now is the worst it has been in that time. Usually flares up every 6 months or so but after a couple of days it would be fine :(

Captains day and first round of the Pierce Purcell is the weekend after next so hopefully I can recover in time for those

Won the matchplay 3 and 2 with a bad back. There is alot to be said for swinging the club easy sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jaysis...2nd with 46 points? Was it a big competition?

No. Bog standard weekend comp. A good few entries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Had a medal on Saturday and shot 97 off a 20 hcap. I had 95 the previous week.
    I cannot putt for the life of me. Counted up after the round and I had 45 putts including a 5 putt that started off as a birdie attempt from around 20 foot. From memory I think I had another 4 or 5 small chips from just off the green that some would have putted.
    It really is very frustrating with playing partners commenting on my ball striking saying I shouldn't be off 20 when I hit the ball as well as I do. I know they mean well and are giving me a compliment but when I cant actually get the ball in the hole it is disheartening.
    Try again next week I suppose

• Advertisement

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Had a medal on Saturday and shot 97 off a 20 hcap. I had 95 the previous week.
    I cannot putt for the life of me. Counted up after the round and I had 45 putts including a 5 putt that started off as a birdie attempt from around 20 foot. From memory I think I had another 4 or 5 small chips from just off the green that some would have putted.
    It really is very frustrating with playing partners commenting on my ball striking saying I shouldn't be off 20 when I hit the ball as well as I do. I know they mean well and are giving me a compliment but when I cant actually get the ball in the hole it is disheartening.
    Try again next week I suppose

What exactly is the problem with putting?

Pace,line or have ya no confidence in your stroke? I was a brutal putter and its probably weakest part of my game.

Advertisement