Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

thanks man...its not as hard as it seems, my 2 eldest are 16 and 13 so no minding in them...i usually get all my workouts done in the morning or in the gym in work so its manageable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

6 and triathlon training..as well as a full time job...that has to be a record. Respect.

+1 Respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

mdlb wrote: »
    injured since the 5th Jan.....i will have serious catching up to do....slipping steadily down at the minute :( few more days should see me back in action though i hope

3k tester tonight....all signs seem positive at present so hopefully i can get back training properly!! was getting pretty cranky not being able to run!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

6 and triathlon training..as well as a full time job...that has to be a record. Respect.

+2 can fully appreciate the effort with having 4. You have been busy with 6:)

can be hard alright at times, there are times where i have to get up at stupid o clock to get the time but sure has to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Another good weeks training, thanks to SBR. Really keeping me motivated to go swimming which I so suck at and need every metre of practice I can get. Long group cycle Sunday and two really focused runs – hills and track session. Need to try and get a second cycle in during the week but work is just too busy. So gaol this week – two cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Did 2 hours on rollers there at the weekend. 1 hour, 20 minutes, 40 minutes. I'm putting in 25k per hour for these until I get a more accurate figure.

Great fun to be watching telly while doing a bit of exercise. My stance is that it's better to be doing something than nothing. My normal weekly cycling is between 0 and 10 kilometres so getting a couple of hours on the rollers is beneficial for my current low cycling ability.

The rollers I think encourage you to cycle "quietly" whereas on the turbo it's possible to have unnecessary lateral movement. So using rollers probably encourages more efficient cycling.

Although this can also happen:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Never done anything on a Turbo, what kind of price would you be looking at for one of these? Say an entry level one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd be one of the people in the first 90 seconds of that video. I'm lucky to stay on the bike on the turbo half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I think this is how its supposed to be done...

http://gavinnoble.com/roller-hero-peter-croes/

i much rather use the rollers over the turbo, requires more concentration and focus as opposed to what i class as mind numbing time on the turbo...the most time ive managed on the turbo before i got bored is about an hour compared to a 2hr interval session on the rollers

Daz1214 wrote: »
    i much rather use the rollers over the turbo, requires more concentration and focus as opposed to what i class as mind numbing time on the turbo...the most time ive managed on the turbo before i got bored is about an hour compared to a 2hr interval session on the rollers

My otherhalf completely vetoed the idea of getting rollers, unfortunately.

Telling her it'll take up much less space than her clothes do didnt go down well either!

see, me telling mine that they fold small giving her more storgare swung it for me

Daz1214 wrote: »
    see, me telling mine that they fold small giving her more storgare swung it for me

I tried that, but it was turbo or rollers. Not both.

i ended gettin rid of the turbo, wasnt being used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

OK. I want to know where Iozard did his OW 20m and where Mr Cresote did his 2km or so?

Com' on, make us jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Macanri wrote: »
    OK. I want to know where Iozard did his OW 20m and where Mr Cresote did his 2km or so?

My open water swims were at Cummeenole Beach, generally I wait for the windy days for extra spice...

Seriously- in Wellington, NZ. Just back from Christmas back home and it's high summer here. Currently 23deg, sunny and flat calm (very rare!), so I should be doing more really.

Don't worry- I'll be the jealous one come May or June!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Macanri wrote: »

2am New Year's morning in Sandycove with a hardy northern lass...

Izoard wrote: »
    2am New Year's morning in Sandycove with a hardy northern lass...

Skinny dipping?

Skinny dipping?

The hostess of the party was looking for swimming volunteers, so it would have been rude not to (turns out, I was the only fool to join her...).

I was naked at some point, attempting to get into my mate's size XS togs, but the missus was on-site as an independent observer and any touching was ruled as "age-appropriate"...:)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Damn. I NEVER get invited to parties like that!

Swimming volunteers or Swinging volunteers? :D

Oryx wrote: »
    Damn. I NEVER get invited to parties like that!

On mature recollection, I think the touching was confined to hanging onto each other, as we tried to clamber over the stones to get out of the water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Wow, this is where all the hot chicks hang out. Can I join late? Doing ok on the runs but have a LOT of wheelie time to make up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow, this is where all the hot chicks hang out. Can I join late? Doing ok on the runs but have a LOT of wheelie time to make up...

:D Looks like SBR real estate value just went up - dpop is in the house! You'll look smashing in the designer "Challenge" tri suit Shotgun is providing to all of us for participating in this year long contest. I wonder if any of those tractors are still available from your Santa run? I'm thinking photo op!

Welcome aboard D'pop.. yes this is where the cool cats and hot chicks hang out... :D

So you're the reason I dropped down the run rank in the SBR! God damn it!

Forget the turbo. Rollers is where it's at!

an hour on the rollers and an hour on the cross trainer did me today, was a bit too wild to venture out

Who are all these cool chicks and hot people you are on about?

If you have to ask the question....

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    If you have to ask the question....
    ...it means I wasnt fooled by the lies. :p

I have to say, (having never really studied it before), the SBR challenge is an infectious stroke of genius. I had no real intention of logging bikes, but if it will buy a few places... kudos MCOS!

633km on the turbo. Christ Fazz. You must have some boredom threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

633km on the turbo. Christ Fazz. You must have some boredom threshold.

Says herself who's ran the equivalent of 5 marathons in 3 and a half weeks!
    Have you ran all of Dublin at this stage or repeat the same routes ;)
    I am jokin as I like running outdoors too.

Seriously, I don't get the boredom comments at all.
    The turbo is absolutely brilliant and I get some of my best quality workouts on it.
    I absolutely love it.
    I even have 2 at present :) one that measures power (just renting to trial it) and one that's a bit quieter and more user friendly - no warm up/easier set up and better for early am turbo sessions as I'm in an apartment.

Can't beat the turbo for pure quality, efficiency and getting the work done as planned. Music to choice and away I go.
    Or a bit of tv if just an easy zone session.

Tonight's session? Turbo :):D

I'll stick with my outdoor running and cycling. Apparently only wimps cycle inside.

I'll stick with my outdoor running and cycling. Apparently only wimps cycle inside.

Eh hem....did I happen to see a post about a turbo and a video set up at your place today? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I have to say I most definitely look hot after an hour on the turbo:p

Bally8 wrote: »
    I have to say I most definitely look hot after an hour on the turbo:p
    I walked into the kitchen after my treadmill run last night, not in a happy state, and both my oh and my son looked and went 'oh, god....' :D

I'm neck and neck with you Warren with 70 SBR points! Hoping to get a bit of a cycle in this weekend and maybe a swim. Running goes without saying!

I know it's only January but I find this incredibly motivating.

• Advertisement

I'm neck and neck with you Warren with 70 SBR points! Hoping to get a bit of a cycle in this weekend and maybe a swim. Running goes without saying!

Wait until the last week in December, when your only a decent swim session away from moving up a place. You'll find a pool open on new years eve somewhere!

Never mind the points, just win the race to first green and you can coast for a bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Never been as excited to be back in the saddle. And i aint talking about picking your one up in the niteclub after the five to two rush. :D Cycling freely again. Watch that core!

Never mind the points, just win the race to first green and you can coast for a bit ;)

I think I'd have to do a series of 150k weeks to beat Fazz's cycling :eek: Looks like it could be tight between the swimming and cycling...

What happens when you hit green? (newbie challenger here)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What happens when you hit green? (newbie challenger here)

The first green on the board will shoot that person straight to the top of the rankings (I'll have to fiddle with the table then to find a way to make these changes automatic)

The whole challenge is about hitting the Green and Gold Benchmarks primarily
    So a single green will lead, until someone else posts a single green and has fewer SBR points than you. They will then be trumpted by A) you posting a 2nd green or someone else posting a green with lower SBR points or someone posting a gold! 2 greens trumpsa single gold by the way... So got all that :D

Basically (I posted this in detail in one of the initial posts in this thread)
    Your overall rank is based on
    1. How many targets you have achieved
    2. What colour they are
    3. How few SBR point you have

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

The first green on the board will shoot that person straight to the top of the rankings (I'll have to fiddle with the table then to find a way to make these changes automatic)

The whole challenge is about hitting the Green and Gold Benchmarks primarily
    So a single green will lead, until someone else posts a single green and has fewer SBR points than you. They will then be trumpted by A) you posting a 2nd green or someone else posting a green with lower SBR points or someone posting a gold! 2 greens trumpsa single gold by the way... So got all that :D

Basically (I posted this in detail in one of the initial posts in this thread)
    Your overall rank is based on
    1. How many targets you have achieved
    2. What colour they are
    3. How few SBR point you have

Hope that helps

(oops....I'll go back and find your previous explanation....:o)

But basically, what you are saying is....I'm just one unfortunate public health concern away at pools across Ireland (thus closing them until April, which coincidently coincides with my own pool opening) to grabbing the green in swimming. Dammit! So close.....

5 extra lengths of the pool tonight and I would have jumped ya GoHard. Must...do...better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Jack frost was out this morning lads.

You know its slippy when climbing up a hill in the saddle and the rear starts losing grip :)
    good for basic handling skills I guess

Time to take more care on the early weekend morning bikes.
    Of course there's always the turbo.... :p
    But then that's for wuss's... :rolleyes:

A slowly developing headache and sore throat with an accompanying dose of I feel sh*t means Ive lost ground both in my own targets and here. Dammit. And I have a xc race tomorrow that I hoped would go well. :(

Fazz wrote: »
    Jack frost was out this morning lads.

You know its slippy when climbing up a hill in the saddle and the rear starts losing grip :)
    good for basic handling skills I guess

Time to take more care on the early weekend morning bikes.
    Of course there's always the turbo.... :p
    But then that's for wuss's... :rolleyes:

Too right. Man up!
    Only wimps cycle inside when its cold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement