Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D&D For Dummies: New Player Dungeon Sign Up Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote: »
    Am I allowed to change my stats as Banjo was kind enough to offer me some guidance?

Of course. Beginner game, so it's learning on the fly. Change as much as you like until game starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

jasonb wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for all that info Banjo! I was thinking more along the lines of Terry Pratchett's 'Small Gods', in terms of choosing my religion, but now I'm wondering if being a Cleric is biting off more than I can chew. I might just go for a good old-fashioned fighter...

I wasn't trying to put you off! I loved being a cleric. I just wish I hadn't made up such a stupid god.

Clerics suck at level 1, because you can't fight quite like a fighter and your magic is crap. And if you don't put Cure Light Wounds in as your spell everyone will blame you when the fighter dies, instead of blaming the fighter for not winning the fight. Oh you can talk to animals? How cute! says the magic user as the animal you were talking to is consumed by fire and ice and lightning from his fingers.
    Then you get access to hold person and dispel magic, and you become an alpha strike. That's when I started loving it.

Necrominus wrote: »

Armour Class:

The base rate of Armour Class (AC on your sheets) is 9 to begin with before armour. (Dex modifiers can reduce this)

The game will begin with all characters having no equipment. This means, that everyone's base AC will be 9.

We will be giving players an opportunity to 'gear up' before tackling the dungeon, but basically we won't be using the equipment on the pre-made character sheets.

Does that make sense to everyone?

Just as an addendum to Armour Class,

9 is the base rate with normal clothes/nude.

The armour you choose then becomes your base rate: eg: Leather armour will see you have an AC of 8.
    You then apply any Dexterity mod, and if you have a shield to further reduce your AC.

So a character with leather armour, carrying a shield (reduces AC by 1) and with a +1 mod for Dexterity now has an AC of 6.

The lower your AC score, the harder you are to hit by enemies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Ok I've changed my stats, I have a total of 63pts as I believe that was the number we could use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Wow, thanks for all that info Banjo! I was thinking more along the lines of Terry Pratchett's 'Small Gods', in terms of choosing my religion, but now I'm wondering if being a Cleric is biting off more than I can chew. I might just go for a good old-fashioned fighter...

You can make 90% of it up on the fly and no offense Banjo but a lot of it is overplayed. I also played a Cleric, had my God, his general ethos and how/where we worshipped.

Gods in D&D become that because they're worshipped, so an evil God who's worshipped can have evil followers, you can do whatever you like with it really, don't be swayed because of effort, just put in as much or little as you'd like

.....but a lot of it is overplayed.

Don't you still owe us a dex roll? :P

So Kolido, Molly and jasonb have submitted character sheets thus far. I know it's the weekend but if folks can try and get theirs submitted by Monday evening/Tuesday we can work out a day/evening to kick things off.

As I said try not to be too concerned about it being time consuming. The starting phase will be designed to work out what category a player fits into so we can cater for all types of adventurers and make sure they have (we hope) an enjoyable experience, be it their first, second or even twentieth time playing D&D.

Regarding players backstories, given the lethality of 1E (it is highly likely you might die in the dungeon) it's not a necessary requirement, but if any of the players want part of it included, feel free to PM myself or Banjo.

Also those struggling with character creation, check out Tigger's thread in the D&D forum.

Note also that just because you see a fighter, a magic user and a cleric rolled it doesn't mean you can't play one of those characters either. Go with your preferences and if you need any help you can ask via PM, Tigger's thread or even here.

Ok, so once we have character sheets from duffman and conor we can think about getting this rolling.

Is there a day/evening that would suit most people to begin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭conor222

Just to confirm, should I be rolling my stats or doing manual addition to a specific max number?
    And within that, what version of rolling if so (3d6, 4d6 remove lowest etc)

• Advertisement

conor222 wrote: »
    Just to confirm, should I be rolling my stats or doing manual addition to a specific max number?
    And within that, what version of rolling if so (3d6, 4d6 remove lowest etc)

For this game, to keep people at an even keel for the beginning at least we are giving players 63 points to put into your stats as you see fit.

So when creating your character sheet don't worry about the 3d6/4d6, just use the 'User Specified' option and input them manually.

Toss in your character name, alignment if you wish and most importantly after the stats, the level which will be 1.

Hope that helps. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Ok, so once we have character sheets from duffman and conor we can think about getting this rolling.

Any night this week is fine for me. I'll have family over at the weekend so won't be online at all then.

Cant do Tuesday or Thursday this week but dont let me hold ya back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Guffy

Do we have a rough starting timetable on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

In general I'm not free in the evenings until 8/8:30 (my Daughter's bedtime) and 9ish on Tuesdays/Thursdays. But I'll try my best to make whatever night is picked....

jasonb wrote:
    In general I'm not free in the evenings until 8/8:30 (my Daughter's bedtime) and 9ish on Tuesdays/Thursdays. But I'll try my best to make whatever night is picked....

Well if during the day suits some then what we can do is run it throughout the day? So those who find it easier to play during daytime hours will get a rattle and then others can get a run in the evening.

Once we have the last two character sheets I'll sort out the start date.

If we were to use this method, would Friday suit people? I know Molly said she was busy at the weekend but if we know in advance we can get her started during the day with others.

If not, we can hold off till next Monday and do something similar. These are only suggestions btw, so if anyone else wants to suggest something we can also use that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Was away all weekend but ill spend some time getting mine done tonight, should be home by 8 and done by 9ish

Daytime suits me better as Im at the office and online

Daytime could work for me, especially Fridays. Assuming, of course, it's not a busy day and I actually have to work! ��

Friday could be ok. I'd be completely AWOL though from around 4.30 until Monday.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Friday could be ok. I'd be completely AWOL though from around 4.30 until Monday.

Well we can just start Monday (daytime) of next week if people prefer? We're also awaiting a final little piece of the puzzle so as not to confuse you folks with multiple DMs running this first game... :)

• Advertisement

Heh heh... As it happens, I'm off the air all day Monday. But you're never going to get a day that suits everyone, so whatever suits best, go with that. If I can't make it I can always join later in the game...

Heh heh... As it happens, I'm off the air all day Monday. But you're never going to get a day that suits everyone, so whatever suits best, go with that. If I can't make it I can always join later in the game...

Doesn't have to be Monday, but the introductory phase is designed for folks to get into character a little bit.

So even if we start on Monday, we can introduce you separately and then have you join the main party a little bit later. Without spoiling anything of course ;)

There's clearly only one solution to this:

DO A POLL!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Though day play midweek is my preference, my schedule is so haphazard that I'll never fit into any one eases fixed routine.
    I'll do as I always do, join in when I can and hopefully leave my character in a position that can be auto-piloted if necessary.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

OldGoat wrote: »
    Though day play midweek is my preference, my schedule is so haphazard that I'll never fit into any one eases fixed routine.
    I'll do as I always do, join in when I can and hopefully leave my character in a position that can be auto-piloted if necessary.

Time is simply an illusion play when you can we will work it out

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

Good evening Dungeoneers.

Good evening Dungeoneers.

Hi dingeon master

Dungeon Master.

These whay I said

{shrugs}

• Advertisement

So is everyone ready to play ?

By the way folks, we have been given permission by the mods to set up a D&D account for running the games.

So say hello to The Dungeon Master :D

By the way folks, we have been given permission by the mods to set up a D&D account for running the games.

So say hello to The Dungeon Master :D

Hello Dungeon Master

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Careful not to cause a feedback overload.

sKeith wrote: »
    Careful not to cause a feedback overload.

What’s a feedback overload.

that noise you get when you put the microphone up to the speaker :)

Hello Dungeon NecroMaster

So.... who's available during the day Friday? Let us know and we can organise to start then.

Me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm game for Friday

Awesome...

Stay tuned folks, thread will go up Friday and we can begin.

We can keep this thread for off topic chat once the game starts or for any questions.

Awesome...

Stay tuned folks, thread will go up Friday and we can begin.

We can keep this thread for off topic chat once the game starts or for any questions.

Why do bad things happen to good polme ?

Tigger wrote: »
    Why do bad things happen to good polme ?

Thing is, that good Polmé can be used to encase anything, from a top quality gambas to a nokia 3310, so really batter, like beauty, is only skin deep and it's what's inside that counts.

I feel inspiration for a room coming on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hello Dungeon Master
    I think you'll find that it's Dingeon Master now.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Im about friday

• Advertisement

Yep, I should be online Friday too...

Great! We'll have thread up early enough Friday so everyone can get a feel for it :)

HYPE!

kb2szs8683znxkv5mkjt.gif

Prelude Thread: Consider this a chance to get into character. Game will start tomorrow

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106777762#post106777762
    this should have been here.

Silly Dungeon Master....

:pac:

I just put my first post in the game thread, I hope I'm doing it right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement