Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

~ Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries ~

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Thanks James74, I'll give that a try. Very poorly worded question :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Been many years since dealt with US preclearance in Dublin Airport. Travelling tomorrow with work for 2 weeks. What is the craic with questions they ask and appropriate responses? Is it "I am attending business meetings" they key one or anything to be careful of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Assuming you have the appropriate visa for business, just answer honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Been many years since dealt with US preclearance in Dublin Airport. Travelling tomorrow with work for 2 weeks. What is the craic with questions they ask and appropriate responses? Is it "I am attending business meetings" they key one or anything to be careful of?

Just answer them truthfully. Any time I go for work normally ask me purpose of travelling I say going over to the meet the US team and work from the us office for a week. Or if there's training on I'll mention that.

It's not like they're trying to catch you out. Fabricating or preplanning responses is just going to draw more attention to yourself and make it look like you have something to hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Assuming you have the appropriate visa for business, just answer honestly.

That poster will not need a visa for a two week business trip, ESTA will be sufficient.

The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an online system that is part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). ESTA is mandatory for all nationals or citizens of VWP countries who plan to travel to the United States for temporary business or pleasure.

https://ie.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Only difference is the visa waiver stamp on your passport will likely show 'WB' as opposed to 'WT' - the former being Business & the later Tourist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Can I pre-clear at Dublin or is it a regular quefull:cool: entry in Nashville.

Maybe I can do both as I'm a big fan of queuing:D

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

dohouch wrote: »
    Can I pre-clear at Dublin or is it a regular quefull:cool: entry in Nashville.

Maybe I can do both as I'm a big fan of queuing:D

You can only pre clear when your next stop is the US so no.

direct flights from Ireland only, so no, you can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're dealing with officials in Nashville, don't forget Sir and Ma'am - lay it on in spades. Southern states are just that bit more formal than the folk up north and rednecks in uniform expect to be addressed in a formal manner from start to finish i.e. don't get 'familiar' as you may cross a line and find yourself suddenly dealing with a difficult person. Keep your Irish charm and informality on hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

coylemj wrote: »
    don't forget Sir and Ma'am - lay it on in spades.
    Keep your Irish charm and informality on hold

I've never laid it on in spades, probably ROFL if I had say "Yeahs mahm. yeahs sur :)

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Flying Norwegian to JFK New York via a 4 hour stop over in Stockholm due to the original flight being cancelled, now 787 Dreamliner.
    Does he go through the US Emigration in Dublin?
    https://www.norwegian.com/ie/ipc/availability/avaday?A_City=NYCALL&AdultCount=1&ChildCount=0&CurrencyCode=EUR&D_City=DUB&D_Day=01&D_Month=201904&D_SelectedDay=01&IncludeTransit=true&InfantCount=0&R_Day=09&R_Month=201904&R_SelectedDay=09&TripType=2&mode=ab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Only go through us immigration in Ireland if you flight direct to the states

Cheers lads.

• Advertisement

2 1/2 hours for pre-immigration at Dublin Airport according to this caller today, staff reckon it will be here to stay for the summer!

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Hey, does anyone know if you can bring a chopped salad all the way through both?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not sure but I think they have salad in America too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Likely no (pre-clearance)... you are not allowed bring meat, dairy or veg AFAIK. They stopped me bringing a sandwich once for sure.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Likely no... you are not allowed bring meat, dairy or veg AFAIK. They stopped me bringing a sandwich once for sure.

I've brought a cheese sandwich no hassle before. Yogurt, cheese etc. Had it on the plane. I'm flying with Norweigan (cheaper fare) so thinking of things I can bring.

• Advertisement

shinny wrote: »
    I've brought a cheese sandwich no hassle before. Yogurt, cheese etc. Had it on the plane. I'm flying with Norweigan (cheaper fare) so thinking of things I can bring.

Maybe depends on who is on the small security area before clearance I guess. Worst case if they take it off you, you can get food in the small cafe after clearance.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Maybe depends on who is on the small security area before clearance I guess. Worst case if they take it off you, you can get food in the small cafe after clearance.

I'm getting conflicting info on it to be fair. I've tweeted Dublin Airport, see what they say. Worst case I'll horse it into me if they try to take it away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,582 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw a sniffer dog going over the passengers baggage in Shannon once.
    He stuck on one woman's bag and the handler checked it for food and found none.
    The woman then explained that she had apples in the bag the previous day and the handler said that was enough to alert the dog.

I am only reporting what I saw and I know no more about the sniffer dog's abilities but I wouldn't chance bringing food.

So I rang Dublin Airport assitance and they said there will be no issue for Salad items. It's only liquid and paste type foods that have to be under 100mls. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

They took bananas off my in-laws last time we went through pre-clearance in Dublin so would've thought salad would be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

shinny wrote:
    So I rang Dublin Airport assitance and they said there will be no issue for Salad items. It's only liquid and paste type foods that have to be under 100mls. Happy days!

shinny wrote:

That answer relates to security in the airport. US Customs in Dublin may have a different opinion.

laotg wrote: »
    That answer relates to security in the airport. US Customs in Dublin may have a different opinion.

I asked about both. They said it referred to both.

RoryMac wrote: »
    They took bananas off my in-laws last time we went through pre-clearance in Dublin so would've thought salad would be an issue

Yeah, I had a banana with me one time and saw the sign specifically for that while I was in the queue in US PC so I ate it as we were there for 40 mins.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items

As clearance in the airport is the same as entering the US, this is the list that applies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

You can bring it through, if a border agent asks just say you’ll be eating it in transit. They do sometimes ask if you’re bringing in meat/nuts/cheese/snacks but you’d want to get a real asshat to confiscate a ready made salad which will obviously be eaten prior to arriving to the US

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    You can bring it through, if a border agent asks just say you’ll be eating it in transit. They do sometimes ask if you’re bringing in meat/nuts/cheese/snacks but you’d want to get a real asshat to confiscate a ready made salad which will obviously be eaten prior to arriving to the US

Cheers, here's hoping I don't get an asshat :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

You can bring salad with you , I bring it every time I fly to the states . You can’t bring fruit or any type of meat though

not quite relevant to the average traveler as he was called for secondary clearance but 3 hours is always recommended.

You can bring salad with you , I bring it every time I fly to the states . You can’t bring fruit or any type of meat though

Great, thanks for that. I’ll avoid meat in the salad so just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are flying to Boston from Dublin on Thurs. Flight is at 11.30am. What time should we be at the Airport to be comfortable?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are flying to Boston from Dublin on Thurs. Flight is at 11.30am. What time should we be at the Airport to be comfortable?

8.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

8.30am

Thank you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Give yourself the three hours . Immigration and customs can be busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi.
    I’m planning on travelling from either Dublin or Shannon to Miami. The flight is via Heathrow. Can I still get the preclearence before I board in whichever airport I end up departing from?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

johnire wrote: »
    Hi.
    I’m planning on travelling from either Dublin or Shannon to Miami. The flight is via Heathrow. Can I still get the preclearence before I board in whichever airport I end up departing from?
    Thanks!

No. Preclearance only works if you travel from Ireland to the USA, travelling via any other country means you queue on arrival

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I thought that all right.
    Just one last question...if there’s a stopover in the U.S.itself with a plane change am I right to say then that preclearence in Ireland is applicable because the flight is directly from Ireland to the U.S. albeit not a direct flight to the final destination?
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,428 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes if you have preclearance in Ireland you will arrive in US as if it were an internal flight in US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Once your flight goes direct from Ireland to the US, you can use preclearance (it is brilliant). Once you landed in the USA you are consider a Domestic passenger in the US (like an person who flew from Dallas to JFK for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Unless there is big saving to be made try and book and flight that goes Ireland to Miami via an American city (Boston, NYC, DC, Philly etc) not the UK.

Last thing you want is to arrive after a 8-10 hour flight and be faced with a 2 hour queue at immigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Last thing you want is to arrive after a 8-10 hour flight and be faced with a 2 hour queue at immigration.

Or more. Once had three hours in LAX and then another hour queuing at customs after collecting the bags.

• Advertisement

Yes folks-thanks for all that. I agree..... I’ll try and source a flight that goes directly to the U.S.and then onwards. I was looking at a flight that goes via Heathrow -the times are good-bit I really don’t think it we’ve worth the hassle.
    Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

hi have a 4 pm flight is 1pm safe to get to airport or should i aim an hour earlier ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Three hours should be fine but if you want to do a bit of shopping, have a coffee or a beer, give yourself another hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

Most of the US flights will have departed by that time so you should get through pre clearance reasonably quickly. Three hours would be plenty of time.

depending on when (week/month) I'd say 3 hours, but some airlines recommend 4 hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement