Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So FF attack SF over lack of social distancing, but Cowen breaking the law and putting people's lives at risk isn't an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Strange how this is only emerging now whereas details of Clare Daly's arrest for a similar crime, of which she was fully cleared, were leaked almost immediately.

One rule for the rest of them.

I would suggest they were waiting for this day that he is a Mínister, its a none story when he's in opposition

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So FF attack SF over lack of social distancing, but Cowen breaking the law and putting people's lives at risk isn't an issue?

Of course it's an issue but he was arrested, charged and dealt with at the time.

SF said its grand because it was a friends funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

When you put it like that..however Cowan isn’t head of an executive or govt. if this was Martin he would have to step aside I would have thought. Also the issue of attending a funeral who many would consider a very controversial figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cowan story - 2016 and he was punished accordingly, SF story this week apparently flouting health guidelines in the middle of a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

https://www.thejournal.ie/barry-cowen-taoiseach-gardai-drink-driving-5141386-Jul2020/

4 years ago as many said the media should just jog on the journal has turned into a right rag of late too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

When you put it like that..however Cowan isn’t head of an executive or govt. if this was Martin he would have to step aside I would have thought. Also the issue of attending a funeral who many would consider a very controversial figure.

FF and FG argued over who was a controversial figure for the last century, so much so that traditionally when one swapped power with the other, they took one portrait down from the wall of the Taoiseachs office and replaced it with the other. Less than a week ago, Michaél stood on the news telling us that he would hang both on the wall as a symbol of the change in Irish politics.

Controversial figures in Irish politics is no new thing.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Don't agree with him losing his position, he was obviously on the lower end of the scale hence why he only got banned for 3 months, plus four years ago, so what?

What I cannot understand though is how the press didn't report on it at the time. Jesus, sure you only have to read the local paper to see how they run with any auld shyte to fill the pages from a local yobbo caught peeing on the street, people with no NCT/not wearing seatbelts, speeding etc etc etc.

I'd have thought a serving td having his day in court and losing the license would have been unable to escape print.

Guess it depends on who you know.

I’m pretty sure that it was in the media at the time, because it was known here in the wilds of Tipperary! It didn’t go to court, as the reading was so low.

“ The Fianna Fáil TD was on his way home from the All-Ireland football final. He had two drinks before the game and something to eat after it.

Mr Cowen was breath-tested on the spot, where alcohol was detected. He was again tested at a Garda station.

He was found to be over the limit.

Mr Cowen was punished with a fixed charge penalty notice, a €200 fine and he was disqualified from driving for three months.

The case did not go to court as the amount of alcohol in his system did not reach the level required for a prosecution.”
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/revealed-cabinet-ministers-drink-driving-ban-39338911.html

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Something about this is not sitting quite right with me. He's a public representative, he should be held to a higher standard than the average Joe working a 9-5. He put himself on the road in a condition where he was more likely to kill people and the electorate never had an opportunity at the time to have their say, because it was seemingly brushed under the rug. Personally, someone who has just been done for drink driving isn't fit to be a councillor or a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Are TDs obliged to inform the public/their party of criminal matters they're involved in?

I think it makes good sense to inform their party/party leader most especially it relation to an issue such as drink driving which is largely an anathema to the general public.

It's continues to be such a political hot potato.

The issue I have is Barry Cowen failed to inform headquarters at the time of the incident.Post his disqualification 4 years down the road it is otherwise a non issue.

• Advertisement

Something about this is not sitting quite right with me. He's a public representative, he should be held to a higher standard than the average Joe working a 9-5. He put himself on the road in a condition where he was more likely to kill people and the electorate never had an opportunity at the time to have their say, because it was seemingly brushed under the rug. Personally, someone who has just been done for drink driving isn't fit to be a councillor or a TD.

If he was that unfit to drive, his reading would have been higher and he’d have had to gone to court. As it was, the reading was too low for a court case.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Same old sh1te with these crowd!

It was 4 years ago and dealt with at the time. It wasn't brushed under the rug.

Of the media are sitting on it since then it shows how s**ty the media have gone.

While I am completely against anyone who drink drives I think Barry Cowen and FF in general have given plenty of reasons for the public to have had their say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same old sh1te with these crowd!

The media?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

eviltwin wrote: »
    I think you might has misread my post. I have no desire to see him lose his job and think he’s entitled to move on from this

There's that word "entitled" again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The media?

FF. I'd expect anyone in public office to fully disclose, stocks, shares, investments, property AND convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

It was in the paper at the time. Nobody cared because it doesn't matter.

He was done 4 years ago? How long should someone who did drink driving at the lower end of the scale be barred from serving their country? What if they are good at their job? Does society gain or lose?

What if they are a normal human being who makes mistakes and also are punished equally like the rest of us? Is that not a wonderful example of our society? Being treated equally even when you have power is a good thing, not a bad thing.

If he was that unfit to drive, his reading would have been higher and he’d have had to gone to court. As it was, the reading was too low for a court case.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If you go on the road after drinking, you're increasing the likelihood of killing someone. Suggesting that I'm moralising by having an issue with this is a little bizarre. A lot of drink driving apologists out in force today it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It was 4 years ago. People make mistakes and if he has learnt from it and changed his behaviour then it’s time to move on.

Getting into a car after a few pints after Croke Park is not a mistake, it's intentional.

And it's not like he wasn't aware of the potential political fallout involving alcohol after his brothers infamous Morning Ireland interview.

• Advertisement

manonboard wrote: »

He was done 4 years ago? How long should someone who did drink driving at the lower end of the scale be barred from serving their country? What if they are good at their job? Does society gain or lose?

What if they are a normal human being who makes mistakes and also are punished equally like the rest of us? Is that not a wonderful example of our society? Being treated equally even when you have power is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Any idea what one?

Odd that the Taoiseach - his party leader didn't hear of it until the Indo printed it.:confused:

The three month ban is for what was previously considered only a light trace with no punishment necessary.

Any of you who drove home the day after a wedding, even late afternoon, would prob get three months if you were bagged tbh

If you go on the road after drinking, you're increasing the likelihood of killing someone. Suggesting that I'm moralising by having an issue with this is a little bizarre. A lot of drink driving apologists out in force today it seems.

Don't think anyone has disagreed with the fact he was wrong and it is not the right thing to do.

That's why he was dealt with at the time and dealt with in line with what he had consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

You are on the money and I respect your opinion.

I certainly would not make light of a drink driving conviction irrespective of where it was on the scale.

Our politicians most certainly are held to a higher standard of behaviour due to their role as national legislators.

It wasn't widely reported at the time, hence why it's now become a story. A front bench spokesman being caught drink driving is actually a big story, that people should care about. He should have lost his seat at the following election, that would been the appropriate remedy in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Being treated equally even when you have power is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Was it in the paper though? Are you sure? Clare Daly was treated rather differently and she wasn't even over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

People for years have been saying "treat politicians like the rest of us" and while there's alot to be done in the broader sense, Barry Cowan was treated like the rest of us, yet people still complain.

He was breathalysed like the rest of us, he was arrested like the rest of us, he paid the price the rest of us would have paid. If anything it's a good sign and shows he had no privelege because he was a TD.

Don't forget, there are thousands of people on permanent contracts, who had no convictions when hired, who have been done for drink driving, assault, theft. Are their employers aware? Hell no.

Barry Cowan is entitled to the same rights as Joe Soap, yet doesn't have the benefit of managing to keep it secret from everyone, as a lot of Joe Soaps have. Many people are human and have been convicted of minor offences. It doesn't define them. He's not a repeat criminal.

Was it in the paper though? Are you sure? Clare Daly was treated rather differently and she wasn't even over the limit.

The Gardai leaked that, obviously more ethical Gardai caught and processed Cowen.

Nothing more than that, no conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It was 4 years ago. People make mistakes and if he has learnt from it and changed his behaviour then it’s time to move on.

Don't really agree with this. He was 48 at the time. That's old enough to know better.

It would be a different situation if it happened when he was 18, as we're all idiots at 18.

• Advertisement

Get Real wrote: »
    People for years have been saying "treat politicians like the rest of us" and while there's alot to be done in the broader sense, Barry Cowan was treated like the rest of us, yet people still complain.

He was breathalysed like the rest of us, he was arrested like the rest of us, he paid the price the rest of us would have paid. If anything it's a good sign and shows he had no privelege because he was a TD.

Don't forget, there are thousands of people on permanent contracts, who had no convictions when hired, who have been done for drink driving, assault, theft. Are their employers aware? Hell no.

Barry Cowan is entitled to the same rights as Joe Soap, yet doesn't have the benefit of managing to keep it secret from everyone, as a lot of Joe Soaps have. Many people are human and have been convicted of minor offences. It doesn't define them. He's not a repeat criminal.

He's a public figure, elected to his job by and for the people, who's he answerable to.

Your comparison to Joe Soap is nonsense.

Advertisement