Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeleine McCann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Dempo1 wrote: »
    This is beyond bizzare, are we to believe this suspect has just appeared out of nowhere. It either gross incompetence on behalf of those investigating or just clutching at straws. I doubt any investigation ever has had so much resources put into it. It just seems extraordinary that after all this time a new suspect has been found.

This person has been long known about. The UK police are continuing to work the case funded by tax payers and can refuse FOI requests about it as it's still "active". It all seems a bit of a swizz tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭SteM

splinter65 wrote: »
    No. What’s your thinking on this one?

The thinking is that everything has to lead back to the McCanns, some people just can't help themselves.

Sure didn't Gerry McCann have ties with Bin Laden too? There's a podcast about it so it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chook

The news is legit. It was on a German "crime call" type programme last night. They are looking for the public's help. The suspect was twice before flagged in the early years but they had no hard evidence. He is already in jail at present for an unconnected crime and has a history of sexual assault. What the police need is more information on the houses, the cars (they have been confiscated already) and the mobile phone numbers. They are asking people who were in the region in April-May 2007 to check their photos/videos, even things like landscape or beach photos that have cars in the background.
    Moreover, they are asking people to check their phones, notebooks and such for the Portuguese mobile number the suspect called as they have not yet established who he spoke to that night.
    It all sounded like they are pretty sure he did it but can't prove it (yet). And of course they want to locate the body and give the family closure.

ps. The photos of the Jaguar and Westfalia camper van as well as the phone numbers are here: http://news.met.police.uk/latest_media (marked CO317-...).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

banie01 wrote: »
    German Man....
    Or
    Gerry McCann!

That may have been misheard ;)

Ho ho ho what a laugh!

Bewildered by all the sheer malice here. Unless I was 100% positive that they had hurt their own child I would not even suggest the possibility but to be openly accusing these parents who lost their child in the most cruel circumstances on the basis of Portuguese dogs who are never wrong and fanciful malicious speculation takes a cold cold heart.

So proud of you all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

2u2me wrote: »
    No idea! Just reading everything being said, complete speculation. The weird smiling of Gerry at in appropriate times has always left me asking questions.

Yes,the footage of Gerry laughing and joking on a balcony like someone attending a friend's BBQ when he wasn't aware he was being filmed is a little puzzling.Never sat easily with me.But doesn't prove anything either way.
    After all these years I still don't have a Bulls notion what happened to poor Maddie.
    Also,there is a distinct wiff of 'I told you so' in this thread by some.
    In respect of a little girl that is probably long dead can we not turn the discussion into who was right and who was wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Please god her parents finally get answers. I can’t imagine what they have gone through these last thirteen years.

I highly doubt this lead came out nowhere nor do I believe there was any negligence on the part of the police. You can’t just move against a suspect without probable cause.

I’ve never believed Kate and Gerry had anything to do with Madeleine’s disappearance and I hope that those who did might now find it in themselves to admit they were wrong and apologize for the pure malice and hatred they’ve directed towards them unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I can't even begin to imagine what she has been subjected to if she is alive. Honestly I'm not sure that would be preferable to the alternative.

Sadly I believe the poor little thing was gone not long after she was taken. I agree that some ways it would be better for her if this is indeed the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭briany

This new suspect sounds like one serious piece of work. Being a paedophile would be infinitely bad to begin with, but to be a drug dealer and burglar on top of that is just the cherry on the sh*tcake. He even had a van. He was pretty much 'the kidnapper' that we'd speak of in hushed tones as children.

Trouble is, with incentive does he have to talk? What's the carrot and the stick? Could they threaten him with gen pop? Torture? Solitary? He sounds like a total animal, so deranged that no matter what you put to him, it could be met with silence. Hope I'm wrong, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Daily Mail has an emergency meeting of all staff.

Owners want to know why they didn't get an "EXCLUSIVE"

All previously fuloughed staff called back in to dig out and re-hash every story ever printed about the case...

...read more on pages 3,5,6,7,9,11,12,13,14,19,20,21,22 & 36

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Wow so much disappointment in here that events might be pointing towards someone other than the parents as the suspects in Maddies murder...

They do deserve criticism for leaving there kids unattended yes, but they have been labelled murderers by so many keyboard warriors on this site and many others when there has never been any proof whatsoever to this.

I have mainly just lurked at threads like this in the past because honestly I don't know what happened to that little girl. But so many detectives here that were so sure they knew that the mcanns did this are now very dissapointed that news potentially someone else is close to being charged with her murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Two points strike me about this case

1. How on earth does a parent/s leave their children without adult supervision in a hotel room while going out for a meal.
    2. I think the McCann's being doctors have lent them a more favourable coverage than if they had been two unemployed people. Two unemployed people would have been destroyed in the media as the dregs of society for daring to leave their children unsupervised. Doctors are afforded, understandably, respect by society but the basic lack of care is the bottom line.

Irrespective of the negligence of the parents I hope they get a resolution to this tragic case. By their own actions they have sentenced themselves to a lifetime of guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Truthvader wrote: »
    Ho ho ho what a laugh!

Bewildered by all the sheer malice here. Unless I was 100% positive that they had hurt their own child I would not even suggest the possibility but to be openly accusing these parents who lost their child in the most cruel circumstances on the basis of Portuguese dogs who are never wrong and fanciful malicious speculation takes a cold cold heart.

So proud of you all

These are the types of people who pulled the wings off butterflies as children and who don’t really see anything wrong with dogfighting. They love those websites which have lots of film of people suffering endless injuries in accidents,
    The McCanns are fair game to them. Anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So seems like it may be what a lot of people thought had happened initially. Kidnapped by a sicko who then killed her when it became global news within hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Don keebals

Dempo1 wrote: »
    This is beyond bizzare, are we to believe this suspect has just appeared out of nowhere. It either gross incompetence on behalf of those investigating or just clutching at straws. I doubt any investigation ever has had so much resources put into it. It just seems extraordinary that after all this time a new suspect has been found.
    New evidence comes to light often in cold cases , your partner or friend 10 years ago may not be you partner or friend today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭briany

batman75 wrote: »
    Two points strike me about this case

1. How on earth does a parent/s leave their children without adult supervision in a hotel room while going out for a meal.
    2. I think the McCann's being doctors have lent them a more favourable coverage than if they had been two unemployed people. Two unemployed people would have been destroyed in the media as the dregs of society for daring to leave their children unsupervised. Doctors are afforded, understandably, respect by society but the basic lack of care is the bottom line.

Irrespective of the negligence of the parents I hope they get a resolution to this tragic case. By their own actions they have sentenced themselves to a lifetime of guilt.

They left the children alone in the apartment because the restaurant was a mere 55 metres distant from the apartment and they intended to go back and check on them at regular intervals.

It was negligence, but the sort of everyday negligence I suspect most parents practice, and it's grand except for those very rare cases. Parents used to let their kids roam outside all day until some publicised kidnappings, and for those unfortunate parents, they could be perceived as negligent, but really it was an attitude and behaviour that was almost always totally fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

So a known German paedophile was living in close proximity to the hotel. How did they not find this lead at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

armaghlad wrote: »
    So a known German paedophile was living in close proximity to the hotel. How did they not find this lead at the time?

The area didn't seem short of paedophiles

The area didn't seem short of paedophiles
    Seemingly that is true. Surely the first port of call would have been to round them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

briany wrote: »
    They left the children alone in the apartment because the restaurant was a mere 55 metres distant from the apartment and they intended to go back and check on them at regular intervals.

It was negligence, but the sort of everyday negligence I suspect most parents practice, and it's grand except for those very rare cases. Parents used to let their kids roam outside all day until some publicised kidnappings, and for those unfortunate parents, they could be perceived as negligent, but really it was an attitude and behaviour that was almost always totally fine.

Not one single person among my friends or family would ever have left children in that situation .They were in a vulnerable and risky situation and unfortunetely looks like someone pounced on the opportunity . It would have been easy to spot a pattern and see a 30-45 minute gap and use it to take a child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Maybe they did...police don't always release the information or leads they're following into the public forum for fear of alerting a suspect, we don't get told everything (much as some of the armchair detectives listening to so called "body language" experts and complete hacks, and condemn people they know nothing about, like to think they know it all)

• Advertisement

Babooshka wrote: »
    Maybe they did...police don't always release the information or leads they're following into the public forum for fear of alerting a suspect, we don't get told everything (much as some of the armchair detectives listening to so called "body language" experts and complete hacks, and condemn people they know nothing about, like to think they know it all)
    I mean they say this is the most clear cut lead on a suspect, three police forces investigating him. I’m not questioning their methods just the fact it took this long. Interestingly the Germans are treating it as a murder case.

Seemingly that is true. Surely the first port of call would have been to round them all up.

Here’s the latest on that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8387125/amp/New-Madeleine-McCann-suspect-discussed-online-chatroom-years-later.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

New evidence comes to light often in cold cases , your partner or friend 10 years ago may not be you partner or friend today.

In this case, it appears he made the confession to a friend and showed him a video of himself raping another woman. The rape he's currently in prison for is that of an elderly woman staying at the same Portuguese resort as the McCanns. He has a long history of raping women and children apparantly.

German police have found 'significant' DNA in the vehicle he used at the time and phone records place him in the area at the time of the abduction.

I know it's the Daily Mail, but lots of info in this report:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8387125/New-Madeleine-McCann-suspect-discussed-online-chatroom-years-later.html

briany wrote: »

I appreciate you have a different opinion to me but the reality is their child is missing 13 years, presumed dead, so matter what anybody thinks these are the facts sadly. I'm not saying the McCann's are bad people but definitely their parenting is questionable. Because clearly 55 metres was too far because their child was abducted without them having an inkling.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Not one single person among my friends or family would ever have left children in that situation .They were in a vulnerable and risky situation and unfortunetely looks like someone pounced on the opportunity . It would have been easy to spot a pattern and see a 30-45 minute gap and use it to take a child

Whatever you do make sure you continue to ignore the person who actually stole the child and place the entire blame on her parents.
    Else how will you and your friends continue to feel superior and smug about your perfect parenting skills?

I appreciate you have a different opinion to me but the reality is their child is missing 13 years, presumed dead, so matter what anybody thinks these are the facts sadly. I'm not saying the McCann's are bad people but definitely their parenting is questionable. Because clearly 55 metres was too far because their child was abducted without them having an inkling.
    I’d love to be you and know for sure that my own parenting has never been questionable. It must be great to be able to sit and point my fingers at others never having made any mistakes myself.

Whatever you do make sure you continue to ignore the person who actually stole the child and place the entire blame on her parents.
    Else how will you and your friends continue to feel superior and smug about your perfect parenting skills?

Clearly the parents didn't kidnap their own child but they had a duty of care to ensure that no one else could do so.

Clearly the parents didn't kidnap their own child but they had a duty of care to ensure that no one else could do so.

I’m glad that you’re children are never ever at risk of anything happening to them due to your remarkable parenting skills. I’ll bet you were shocked at the little boy drowning in mayo the other night. I’d love to have heard your opinion on that...

I’d love to be you and know for sure that my own parenting has never been questionable. It must be great to be able to sit and point my fingers at others never having made any mistakes myself.

I remember being in London with my Aunt as a child and we were walking streets and on the tube. She held my hand in an iron grip. I get no pleasure from the fact that the child was kidnapped or that it happened to the McCann's. But in the pantheons it's pretty catastrophic don't you think?

• Advertisement

I remember being in London with my Aunt as a child and we were walking streets and on the tube. She held my hand in an iron grip. I get no pleasure from the fact that the child was kidnapped or that it happened to the McCann's. But in the pantheons it's pretty catastrophic don't you think?

You get no pleasure, just a nice warm fuzzy smug glow.

Advertisement