Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

It definitely will. It's a matter of 'when' and not 'if'.
    The femoral head is slowly dying through lack of blood flow to it. There is no way to fix it and loaded impact (running) will hasten the collapse of the dead bone and then it needs to be replaced.

Hip flexion is sore uncomfortable past a certain point, which sucks cos it means no more rowing. I'd have definitely bought a C2 for lockdown otherwise.

So walking is the main source of exercise. But as it gets drier I'll be doing slam ball work again cos I enjoyed that as conditioning work.

That sucks man, really sorry to hear that.

I've read through some of your training logs and you were really progressing nicely.

Was it the training that caused this issue or was it something that was going to happen at some stage regardless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That sucks man, really sorry to hear that.

I've read through some of your training logs and you were really progressing nicely.

Was it the training that caused this issue or was it something that was going to happen at some stage regardless?

Thanks chief. I've likely had it a long time. The cause isn't known - it often isn't - so not a wear and tear thing.

There have been knock on issues with hip flexors that caused pelvic tilt and asymmetry but hopefully I can work on that so that weight training isn't a problem in the not-too-distant future. I'm hopeful of that. Definitely plan to be back on a platform anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Thanks chief. I've likely had it a long time. The cause isn't known - it often isn't - so not a wear and tear thing.

There have been knock on issues with hip flexors that caused pelvic tilt and asymmetry but hopefully I can work on that so that weight training isn't a problem in the not-too-distant future. I'm hopeful of that. Definitely plan to be back on a platform anyway

Fair play Alf. I honestly wish I had your positive optimism. If I have even a tiny niggle after training, it's panic stations and I want to get an MRI.

I'll make a rare post that's on-topic.

C.D.C. Traces Covid Outbreaks in Gyms, Urging Stricter Precautions

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/health/coronavirus-gyms-outbreaks.html

Among the cases were 22 people who had attended on the day, or after, symptoms had started.

Not sure if it says gyms are not safe or that some people are just absolute díckheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

do you not think it's more important to be able to run a bit rather than the size of your muscles?

Hell no!
    Aim to be out of breath after the top step of your staircase then you know your on the gain train! :p

• Advertisement

I used to be about 108kg but as I was able to bench 130kg I thought it OK..... I got down to 79/80kg and was able to bench 125kg and run 5km in under 22 mins which wasn't an option at 108kg.

I'm now 90kg and can't run or lift anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

First time I've brought it up here, I think. I would usually lift pretty heavy without being obsessive about it.

Apologies I appear to have mixed you up with another poster.

I do disagree with the sentiment in that everyone has different priorities and whatever goal they're training for is fine being important to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Augeo wrote: »
    I used to be about 108kg but as I was able to bench 130kg I thought it OK..... I got down to 79/80kg and was able to bench 125kg and run 5km in under 22 mins which wasn't an option at 108kg.

I'm now 90kg and can't run or lift anything :pac:

Are you healthy? Always been my aim in the gym.

I never got the point of singular focus. Extremes tend to create issues later life.

Are you healthy? Always been my aim in the gym.

I never got the point of singular focus. Extremes tend to create issues later life.

I would think I am healthy, blood tests, blood pressure etc all fine. At 100kg + I'd likely be at increased risk of more than a few things though presumably.

Was there something in my post that suggested singular focus and extremes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I would think I am healthy, blood tests, blood pressure etc all fine. At 100kg + I'd likely be at increased risk of more than a few things though presumably.

Was there something in my post that suggested singular focus and extremes?

Not at all - Was supporting the fact you were healthy even if you felt your running and weight lifting had both fallen off.

I was only pointing out as a side note that too much running or lifting will often lead to issues later in life.. Especially where people go to extremes. That was all.

I went daft with the running and knees took a hit that no doubt will cost me later in life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Constantly going on about its the only thing to help peoples mental health is nonsense

Surely personal trainers should be emphasising how important the gyms and sports are for people's physical health as much as, if not more than, their mental health?

Considering obesity is a risk factor for covid, and that covid reduces people's VO2 max, it makes absolute sense to me that having a fit and healthy population is likely to reduce the number of deaths and hopsitalisations in the population.

It may not reduce the number of cases, and could theoretically increase the number of cases (although I'm not sure that there have been many outbreaks from gyms), but even so surely the gyms should be a high priority for reopening for physical health alone?

Surely personal trainers should be emphasising how important the gyms and sports are for people's physical health as much as, if not more than, their mental health?.............

Of course, but the mental health spiel is the bandwagon loads of folk jump on now. 99% of the people sh1tting on about mental health are talking through their hoop IMO. We've gone from never talking about it to everyone being an expert.

The gyms being closed doesn't really make impact to those who are unhealthy, unfit and obese though to be realistic.......... no point doing the gym thing when your diet is the problem.

Considering obesity is a risk factor for covid, and that covid reduces people's VO2 max, it makes absolute sense to me that having a fit and healthy population is likely to reduce the number of deaths and hopsitalisations in the population.

It may not reduce the number of cases, and could theoretically increase the number of cases (although I'm not sure that there have been many outbreaks from gyms), but even so surely the gyms should be a high priority for reopening for physical health alone?

There are ways to exercise outside of the gym. I love the gym and I miss being able to go but there are alternatives.

Nowhere near what I enjoy doing but they're there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's likely to be an unpopular comment, but I agree that there is more to being active than having access to commercial gyms.

For most of human history there was no such thing. Physical culture has always been with us, and always will be. Yes, we don't have the climate for outdoor training all the year around, but crowding into a dedicated commercial setting is just one (admittedly good) answer to that.

The last year has been the time for a shift to home training, small group training with family and friends and training at a different pace and in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The gym does help with depression. It merely offers fleeting escapism and a distraction. It is not a cure. It is a great addition to a good lifestyle and lifts your mood when you're feeling a bit inept or worthless but it is not and nowhere near a replacement for interventioned by a talented mental health professional. However, it's better than nothing and the momentary escapism has value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The last year has been the time for a shift to home training, small group training with family and friends and training at a different pace and in a different way.

Not everyone has the idyllic home situation to facilitate home training.

Not everyone is into training in groups and require a focused, alone, setting that a gym facilitates.

And finally not everyone going at their own pace in an unfocused, obstacle laden, environment like outdoors is going to get the results they require.

Because of the above, the last year has been very tough on a lot of people. Those people should be given the environment they need dearly in order to exercise effectively.

Not everyone is into training in groups and require a focused, alone, setting that a gym facilitates.

And finally not everyone going at their own pace in an unfocused, obstacle laden, environment like outdoors is going to get the results they require.

Because of the above, the last year has been very tough on a lot of people. Those people should be given the environment they need dearly in order to exercise effectively.

Just to clarify, when you talk about the results that people require, what are these results that are required?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I actually don't disagree with any of that, and I appreciate it is a big ask for people to change the way they approach their training if their situation is as you outline above. It may be the case that commercial gym environments are a perfect fit for some people and anything else is sub optimal.

But when commercial gyms are shut for multiple months then it doesn't matter whether someone thinks people "should" have access to them. The reality is that people should be supported to do whatever alternative training they can manage.

Maybe there's more as a society we could have done for people. Some activities like running and sea swimming have seen an upsurge in participation. But I think overall part of the problem is that the fitness community had become partly one and the same as the commercial gym industry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The gyms being closed doesn't really make impact to those who are unhealthy, unfit and obese though to be realistic.......... no point doing the gym thing when your diet is the problem.

I guess for a casual gym goer like me it can often work like this:

Last December when the gyms were back open, I would book in after work for say 7pm. I'd have dinner as I finished work around 5.30/6, go to the gym, be finished around 8.30 and that left a nice window of an hour or two to relax, watch tv etc. I would aim to maximise that time slot so would have the impetus to do as much as I could within that time. If I wanted a snack or the like, I could have a protein rich snack or something, but I generally don't feel much like snacking after a gym session (strangely).

Now, I tend to get my exercise in in mid afternoon if at all (outdoor running, which I hate, followed by a few resistance exercises with my limited home equipment). My motivation is rock bottom and I rarely do more than 20 mins (which is still better than nothing, but still). Then when it comes to the evening time, I'm largely bored from 5.30 onwards, so the temptation to pop down to the shop and buy delicious carb sugar alcohol or fat filled snacks is quite high. Very often, it feels like I can either go down to the shops and buy some beer or bread, or just go to bed early.

Then at weekends, being booked in for a few gym sessions is a great way to add structure to them.

In this way, even if the exercises I was doing was all wrong and I wasn't actually getting fitter as a result, the fact that it keeps me in the health and fitness zone is enough to keep me away from snacking, poor diet etc.

I also disagree that there is no point in going to the gym if your diet isn't good. There are non-weight related benefits to the gym such as improved cardio vascular health etc that are well worth it. Even if you can't or won't change your diet, some regular exercise will be of significant benefit to your health.

Maybe that is straying a bit too much into the murky mental health area, but long story short my physical health has been much better when the gyms are open than when they are not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The gym does help with depression. It merely offers fleeting escapism and a distraction. It is not a cure. It is a great addition to a good lifestyle and lifts your mood when you're feeling a bit inept or worthless but it is not and nowhere near a replacement for interventioned by a talented mental health professional. However, it's better than nothing and the momentary escapism has value.[/QUOT

See right there is the lie that PTs want you to believe,

It's NOT the GYM its the EXERCISE,

• Advertisement

I guess for a casual gym goer like me it can often work like this:

Last December when the gyms were back open, I would book in after work for say 7pm. I'd have dinner as I finished work around 5.30/6, go to the gym, be finished around 8.30 and that left a nice window of an hour or two to relax, watch tv etc. I would aim to maximise that time slot so would have the impetus to do as much as I could within that time. If I wanted a snack or the like, I could have a protein rich snack or something, but I generally don't feel much like snacking after a gym session (strangely).

Now, I tend to get my exercise in in mid afternoon if at all (outdoor running, which I hate, followed by a few resistance exercises with my limited home equipment). My motivation is rock bottom and I rarely do more than 20 mins (which is still better than nothing, but still). Then when it comes to the evening time, I'm largely bored from 5.30 onwards, so the temptation to pop down to the shop and buy delicious carb sugar alcohol or fat filled snacks is quite high. Very often, it feels like I can either go down to the shops and buy some beer or bread, or just go to bed early.

Then at weekends, being booked in for a few gym sessions is a great way to add structure to them.

In this way, even if the exercises I was doing was all wrong and I wasn't actually getting fitter as a result, the fact that it keeps me in the health and fitness zone is enough to keep me away from snacking, poor diet etc.

I also disagree that there is no point in going to the gym if your diet isn't good. There are non-weight related benefits to the gym such as improved cardio vascular health etc that are well worth it. Even if you can't or won't change your diet, some regular exercise will be of significant benefit to your health.

Maybe that is straying a bit too much into the murky mental health area, but long story short my physical health has been much better when the gyms are open than when they are not

I do feel your pain. I don't know if I would consider myself a casual gym-goer but I go 3-4 times a week (maybe a couple of catch-up sessions at lunchtime when I was in the office) so no access to a gym and no space/scope for home gym equipment has left a big hole.

What I do have is a set of resistance bands, push up handles and a 25kg sandbag. I also can't run, which I probably would have been doing, because of an injury. So fairly limited.

First thing I did was decide to train, especially in the evening, the days I always trained. Then I put together a programme of exercises to do with what I have. At least then, when I got myself down to do a workout, I didn't just do whatever and leads me to doing more than a half-hearted 20 minutes. That has really helped.

Build a habit and have something to do when you get yourself to train. They're the same principles that you would suggest to someone who was having problem getting themselves to go to the gym regularly and getting something done.

Then if you can try and do the workouts at the same time you would have done as well. Try and keep a similar structure to your days, with respect to workouts, as you had when you were at the gym.

I do appreciate that if you are a casual gym goer it might be difficult to put together exercises with limited equipment but there are plenty of people here who will help if you wanted to have a list of ideas for your workout that will take the thinking out of it, which would definitely help.

In a general sense, a lot of people do feel lost without the gym to a certain degree. But it is important to focus on what can be done and be proactive and make the most of what you can do rather than focus on what you can't. It definitely does improve your perspective and mindset when you do that.

Keep the structure to your week and have a programme for each workout.

And feel free to ask on the WFH Superthread - or anywhere here - for help in pulling together exercises for a programme to keep you going. As someone who has done most of my training with bands, I can certainly help if you want. And there are other, more knowledgeable people here that would be happy to help.

I guess for a casual gym goer like me it can often work like this:......................
    ..............t

To clarify, my comment were in relation to folk who are unhealthy, unfit and obese........... a walk will do fine for what I've bolded. Again, if folk won't go for a stroll they won't go to the gym in most cases, or when they do they'll do sfa there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I miss the gym but you need to make the most of what you have available. Going for long walks or for a jog or any kind of cardio you can muster will do wonders for your mood.
    Or just try out new things, I mean if gyms were never to open again does that mean you'd never be able to be happy again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I miss the gym but you need to make the most of what you have available. Going for long walks or for a jog or any kind of cardio you can muster will do wonders for your mood.
    Or just try out new things, I mean if gyms were never to open again does that mean you'd never be able to be happy again?

I think peoples frustration is that EVERYTHING is closed. It just happens that for most people posting here that gyms are one of most important things for them

For me it is golf. And my body is slowly falling apart without it. I am in a unique situation health-wise though.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I think peoples frustration is that EVERYTHING is closed. It just happens that for most people posting here that gyms are one of most important things for them

For me it is golf. And my body is slowly falling apart without it. I am in a unique situation health-wise though.

Do you have a park nearby? Take a walk with a couple of clubs, stopping every one or two hundred metres to swing your club a few times. Sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Basil3 wrote: »
    Do you have a park nearby? Take a walk with a couple of clubs, stopping every one or two hundred metres to swing your club a few times. Sorted!

Lots of old dudes do that in my local parks all year round even in normal times.

No doubt.... All the huns & bros can't be wrong :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

What's worked from me in this lockdown was to get an online program from one of the coaches in the gym that I trust. We discussed at the start what my goals were and what bits of equipment I have. So he programs for 3 days and it's done through an app that shows videos of the exercises.

I'm okay to work away on it by myself but the OH jumps in a good bit as otherwise he'd only have the occasional run to do.

I've found I'm motivated to do it because I've paid for it (20 euro a week), I've someone to tell me what to do and to report back to and I definitely feel my fitness and strength has maintained much better compared to previous lockdowns.

Not the same as going to a gym but it has definitely been a good substitute.

You dont know anything about my story you dick and that is complete pointless smart arse comment

I have stage 4 cancer and the goal of getting out on a golf course is one of the few exercises I can do. There is an impact when you hit a golf ball

It also gives me something to focus on when I walk 10km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You dont know anything about my story you dick and that is complete pointless smart arse comment

I have stage 4 cancer and the goal of getting out on a golf course is one of the few exercises I can do. There is an impact when you hit a golf ball

I didn't read that as being smart. You're in a gym forum talking about golf, someone suggests a walk and take practice swings and that's your reply. Sorry to hear you're ill but it's no excuse for rudeness.

Sorry to hear you have cancer. I don't think it excuses your reaction.

From an exercise point of view, golf isn't a necessity for you. The actual physical side of golf is easily replaced. You're confusing the physical benefits with the benefits to your mental state of mind, which I'm sure we can all understand.

Sorry to hear you have cancer. I don't think it excuses your reaction.

From an exercise point of view, golf isn't a necessity for you. The actual physical side of golf is easily replaced. You're confusing the physical benefits with the benefits to your mental state of mind, which I'm sure we can all understand.

I have explained why it helps. You can ignore that. It is also completely risk free. So completely different

The point I was making is that everybody is different and needs different tools to help them succeed in their mental and physical fitness. You think everyone is in your position

I have explained why it helps. You can ignore that. It is also completely risk free. So completely different

The point I was making is that everybody is different and needs different tools to help them succeed in their mental and physical fitness. You think everyone is in your position

No, I don't.

I'm also in a unique position, and the last year has affected me in a way that doesn't affect most people. I'm not going to call you names because you don't know anything about my story, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

What are peoples latest thoughts on when gyms will reopen?

Anyone hold out hope that we will go to level 3 on 5 April and gyms will reopen? or do people think it will be late April (when it seems the next review will occur)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

JTMan wrote: »

Anyone hold out hope that we will go to level 3 on 5 April and gyms will reopen? or do people think it will be late April (when it seems the next review will occur)?

May at the earliest I think but probably June.

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »

I don't think there is a whiff of a chance they move to level 3 on April 5th. Probably open up construction and maybe relax movement to county boundaries but at the current rate of decline it will be mid April before the numbers were where they were hoped to be on 1st of March.

Probably be June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If the vaccine rollout was going according to plan I would have said May.
    But that is hitting bumps every step of the way so I think we'll be lucky to salvage the tail end of the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Varadkar has said they will be watching Israel's "Green Badge" scheme where leisure facilities are allowed to open at similar levels to normal if they require users to have a vaccine certificate. It's hard to know with Varakar if that's really under consideration here. But I do wonder if it is something that we'll see in the future. Maybe gyms and other facilities will be allowed return to their old capacities if everyone is vaccinated. (With allowances made for those who have genuine health conditions that mean they can't be vaccinated. I don't know how it will work for facilities that young teens and children use, as they won't be cleared for vaccination for quite some time.)

I know we will have an obvious reluctance to police people's medical choices to some degree. But at the same time if I owned a business that could normally have 100+ customers on site, I'd be quite tempted to enter such a scheme rather than being closed or only able to have 50 people including staff on site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

If the figures keep going the way they are, we should be at level 4 for April and level 3 in May when gyms can open.

Anything less than that is a massive failure and simply ignoring the stats.

If the figures keep going the way they are, we should be at level 4 for April and level 3 in May when gyms can open.

Anything less than that is a massive failure and simply ignoring the stats.

I doubt it will be that quick. They're terrified of opening too quickly after what happened in December.

But I think the levels are kind of meaningless now. There will be elements of level 4 and 5 after a while before level 4 and then elements of 3 and 4 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I doubt it will be that quick. They're terrified of opening too quickly after what happened in December.

But I think the levels are kind of meaningless now. There will be elements of level 4 and 5 after a while before level 4 and then elements of 3 and 4 etc

We're unlikely to return to a situation like that I think. Between the change in season and the most vulnerable being vaccinated by May we really should be looking to go back to level 3. After a certain number of vaccinations the raw case numbers become less relevant. Cases will go up once we reopen but if it's not resulting in significant strain on HSE then there's no need to lockdown again.

DylanJM wrote: »
    We're unlikely to return to a situation like that I think. Between the change in season and the most vulnerable being vaccinated by May we really should be looking to go back to level 3. After a certain number of vaccinations the raw case numbers become less relevant. Cases will go up once we reopen but if it's not resulting in significant strain on HSE then there's no need to lockdown again.

I don't disagree with that. I just think in the short term they will be very slow to step through to level 4 and then 3 by May.

You could well be right, but it's important to remember it's only 6th March now so if the figures keep going the way they have been, there will (or at least there should) be huge pressure to get open in May.

You could well be right, but it's important to remember it's only 6th March now so if the figures keep going the way they have been, there will (or at least there should) be huge pressure to get open in May.

The numbers are going down slowly and I think the variant card will be played in terms of reopening early. The numbers are well off where they had wanted them to be at on March 1st. If they pull their finger out on the vaccination front, it might speed things up.

Obviously I hope I'm very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The remainder of secondary school students only return to school April 12th. Hopefully by the end of April we should then see a reduction in restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The numbers are going down slowly and I think the variant card will be played in terms of reopening early. The numbers are well off where they had wanted them to be at on March 1st. If they pull their finger out on the vaccination front, it might speed things up.

Obviously I hope I'm very wrong

They're terrified of opening things up after the balls up they made with the October lockdown.

There will be new variants that will raise their heads in the coming months, a few have been touted already but thankfully they've been flashes in the pan so far.

Mid to late summer is the most likely reopening window. I can't see there being any will to be seen to take risks after previous failures. Although there's a reasonable risk of lockdowns occurring again at the end of the year. We'll be living with this for a good while to come unfortunately.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    They're terrified of opening things up after the balls up they made with the October lockdown.

There will be new variants that will raise their heads in the coming months, a few have been touted already but thankfully they've been flashes in the pan so far.

Mid to late summer is the most likely reopening window. I can't see there being any will to be seen to take risks after previous failures. Although there's a reasonable risk of lockdowns occurring again at the end of the year. We'll be living with this for a good while to come unfortunately.

I doubt there would be any compliance if the gov tried to lockdown with a handful of cases in the hospital which would the be the case once the vac programme actually delivers.

The only balls up was folks going to multiple jammed 'restaurants' and a lash of folk over from England after guidance was they didn't come home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The only balls up was folks going to multiple jammed 'restaurants' and a lash of folk over from England after guidance was they didn't come home.

Street pints were the biggest problem.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Street pints were the biggest problem.

Please back that up. There is no evidence of outside transmission of this virus

• Advertisement
Advertisement