Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Pull up and dip frame purchased this morning from facebook marketplace. It's worth putting up a WANTED ad for bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Churches are open but gyms aren't, I facepalmed at the throngs of elderly people all going indoors together yesterday with no masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Churches are open but gyms aren't, I facepalmed at the throngs of elderly people all going indoors together yesterday with no masks.

Religious services aren't permitted. The churches are open for private prayer so throngs of old people in churches won't be a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

obi604 wrote: »
    Are these roughly about 500 Euro - in today’s environment

I paid 500 over a year ago. They’re a little bit bulky but great otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I have never in my life seen a throng of elderly ppl going into a church on a random Friday. With the exemption of a funeral or wedding etc.

• Advertisement

calfmuscle wrote: »
    I have never in my life seen a throng of elderly ppl going into a church on a random Friday. With the exemption of a funeral or wedding etc.

Yeah but you can't say you facepalmed at a handful of elderly people going into a church to say a few prayers

During a pandemic, yes I do think it is wrong. There were at least 30 people inside that I could see when I passed the door. They weren't wearing masks and nobody was cleaning the pews. Unnecessary and dangerous. Hopefully god will protect them this time around though, he's been very good in all this.

Anyone I saw in a gym had way more cop on and everything was kept clean. Also they're less likely to be in the 65+ age cohort which is particularly badly affected.

I just glanced through the door as I was walking by, it was easy to see people without masks because it's rare enough to see people indoors without them so that stands out. And the lack of people cleaning down pews is also a giveaway. My perceptive abilities are clearly second to none.

I just don't understand why it's fine for people to pray to the magic man but not possible for people to use gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I have a good pull-up bar and some dumbbells but not much else because of lack of space. I've just bought a pair of rings & straps so I can hang them from the pull-up bar and do dips, along with a belt & chain for weighted dips and pull-ups. That should keep the chest, back, arms and shoulders in good condition for the next while. I got them both from McSport.ie

I just glanced through the door as I was walking by, it was easy to see people without masks because it's rare enough to see people indoors without them so that stands out. And the lack of people cleaning down pews is also a giveaway. My perceptive abilities are clearly second to none.

I just don't understand why it's fine for people to pray to the magic man but not possible for people to use gyms.

Walking by you glanced in and somehow counted 30 people.

But there isn't going to be 30 people in the church from 8am to 8pm like there would be in a gym.

Apples and oranges.

• Advertisement

Biceps and Bibles....

I’ll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

wVCgyhh.jpg

Some job getting that Atlas stone up there

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Some job getting that Atlas stone up there

Carried it up on the beam on his shoulders, innit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Somewhere you may not have expected to see fitness stuff, and they still open in store

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/home-gym-equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't believe people are still annoyed gyms are closed, the absolute state of the carry on in Westwood, groups training together, people on top of each other in the steam room and jacuzzi and pool, people spotting one another. It was 100% an environment where the virus could easily spread.
    We will all manage in the meantime and appreciate it more when they open again. Until Covid-20 that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I can't believe people are still annoyed gyms are closed, the absolute state of the carry on in Westwood, groups training together, people on top of each other in the steam room and jacuzzi and pool, people spotting one another.

Maybe - just maybe, other gyms weren't the same as Westwood.

No jacuzzi, steamroom or sauna opened in mine since Feb 2020.
    No classes of any kind, all areas of the gym floor marked out as individual training zones. Cleaning stations everywhere. About 50% of all previous equipment removed to allow for more social distancing, mandatory cleaning of all equipment before and after use. Mandatory wearing of masks passing through areas like reception and changing rooms. Coffee shop closed so gym users couldn't congregate before/after gym or have any mixing with non gym members of the public.

No classes of any kind, all areas of the gym floor marked out as individual training zones. Cleaning stations everywhere. About 50% of all previous equipment removed to allow for more social distancing, mandatory cleaning of all equipment before and after use. Mandatory wearing of masks passing through areas like reception and changing rooms. Coffee shop closed so gym users couldn't congregate before/after gym or have any mixing with non gym members of the public.

So you actually think gyms should be open right now given the circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Any gym that had their sauna and steam room open during the pandemic deserves to have their business closed for pure stupidity alone.

Whatever about the behaviour in Westwood being a bit bananas and being nothing like I saw, with things as they are, I don't see how they could stay open.

• Advertisement

Exactly this. Same in my gym too. The glee on some people's faces here that the gyms are closed is sickening.

Exactly this. Same in my gym too. The glee on some people's faces here that the gyms are closed is sickening.

There's no glee, I just find it ridiculous that people think they can be open right now and are throwing the toys out of the pram.

Any gym that had their sauna and steam room open during the pandemic deserves to have their business closed for pure stupidity alone.

They'd probably lose half their members in WW if they closed them as many older people join for these alone, that's my reasoning for why they kept them open anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

There's no glee, I just find it ridiculous that people think they can be open right now and are throwing the toys out of the pram.
    How dare they!!!

Who's throwing their toys out of the pram??

This is the Fitness forum....pretty much everyone here uses gyms. There is no glee about gyms being closed.

No one is happy about them being closed but it's common sense that they are.

Flyefit was a great setup but you still had goons spotting each other and not abiding to individual training only.

With the current covid numbers I'd not chance gyms if they were open.... Decent chance loads of folk in there were doing the restaurant circuits pre Christmas or were in contact with people who were.

No glee in this, just realism

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

So you actually think gyms should be open right now given the circumstances?

I do not.

Not all gyms were as bad as Westwood, and unfortunately not all were as good as mine. And closing them was in line with other measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

No glee here, gutted... just have to accept it. I have zero care for people bejng sick or catching the illness. I simply do what has to be done because the government say so... hopefully we will have our lives back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

My view on individual training in gyms was that when case numbers and the R rate were low enough I had no difficulty with it. I doubt gyms, even large commercial chain gyms, were a significant driver of getting us to where we are now, and I don't think anyone actually even pushes that narrative.

Ordinarily if we got case numbers and R rate down I think we could have seen a re-opening in coming months...

But...

With the UK variant growing in terms of its representation among cases, and in view of its infectiousness, I read that it may be that the measures that sufficed in 2020 will not push the case numbers and R numbers down at the same pace as they would have with the 2020 strain.

In short, if we have to be stricter to get back to a managable level waiting for the vaccines to get us to 80% herd immunity (another % estimate that has risen on the back of the UK variant) then I doubt gyms will be back anytime in the forseeable.

Not gleeful about it, but this is putting home training methods and related equipment squarely centre stage, it is the only show in town.

Which means it is just great that equipment that we would have got shipped in from the UK is now stuck in a warehouse or on a lorry because of Brexit. So 2020... (Chef's kiss)

Advertisement