Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Staff stage walkout?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Bambi wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »
    As opposed to?

As opposed to "sexual misconduct"

Clues in the sentence, like.

And sexual misconduct is?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It has a specific meaning in American law. In Google HR speak it could be anything and probably is. In your head it's "sexual harassment of women ".

Funny old world eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...not the same as "sexually harass women".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

For anyone sceptical about these kind of protests, the interview with James Damore ( google engineer who was fired for voicing concerns about gender quotas, from a platform that was supposed to encourage free and open debate ) , on the Rubin report.... is fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NOSD0XK0r8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This isn't about inequality or imbalance though. It's about how women are being treated in the workplace.

Seriously do people not read threads or do they find the first post that can form a narrative for them and go with it.

If you bothered to do your own research, you'd know it's much more than that.
    Answer my question.

How have you formed an opinion on a situation you know nothing about?

If you refuse to answer, I'll take that as an assumption that you can't answer. It's perfectly ok to admit you can't answer it by the way, it won't make you less of a human. In fact, it'll make you human. Just somebody whose a little bit clueless.

I'd be quite surprised if the entire stunt has anything to do with "Inequality,Imbalance OR concern about gender based rights".

It's far simpler I suggest......all about getting a "Union" toehold in a major Tech Sector Player...by hook,crook or rope ladder....

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46054202

It's way down the list on the BBC report and largely ignored elsewhere,but the seed is still there germinating under the Silicon Valley Sunshine..... ;)
    The Tech Workers Coalition, a San Francisco-based advocacy group, said the day’s dispute was just one of several tech companies need to address.

“We stand in solidarity with the Google workers,” a spokesperson for the group said.

“It’s clear the executives won’t do this for us so we’re taking matters into our own hands."

The "Advocacy" business is a growing sector in itself...and there are careers to be made and advanced...but you gotta strike while the iron is hot...the feminist issue may not be around for ever..? :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

It has a specific meaning in American law. In Google HR speak it could be anything and probably is. In your head it's "sexual harassment of women ".

Funny old world eh?

Well considering 48 people, including 13 senior execs, were sacked for sexual harassment then I really don't know why you're trying to knit pick at my posts.

Or is it the whole 'women' element? Have you an issue with the idea that women may have been sexually harassed in Google, leading to nearly 50 people losing their jobs?

As well as this, the head of Alphabet and Googles head of Android services were both accused of sexual harassment.

I don't know why you're trying to state it's misconduct as if it makes the situation better than it's portrayed.

You need to have a look at yourself and wonder why you're arguing over misconduct and harassment and wonder if you feel any better about yourself for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

VinLieger wrote: »
    My opinion is i think its horribly ironic that you are complaining about others being snowflakes while getting so bizzarely worked up and annoyed about something that has zero affect on you.

It actually affects all of us because whether you realise it or not, this silly culture is creeping and changing normal public discourse gradually.
    It is this nonsense that is causing so many countries and societies to move further right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

^, Actually, that makes a lot of sense.

Zulu wrote: »
    ...not the same as "sexually harass women".

Except sexually harass women is inclusive in sexual misconduct, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Did anyone in the Dublin office walk out, I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Whats the reason for this claim,

From the article its
    "women are also becoming fed up with the male-dominated composition of the technology industry’s workforce — an imbalance that critics say fosters unsavoury behaviour."

You live in a male dominated world of IT.

In my software course 32males to 2 females(6 years ago)
    So how would I expect my Software job to have 15 males & 15 females when females arent studying in the Ducking area.
    Yes I said Ducking :P

That highlighted part is actually the journalist/ Indo editor injecting their personal message. It is an attempt to foster a certain discourse that is desirable to either the journalist who wrote it or the Indo editorial policy.

Do not mistake some of their ****e for proper news, a lot of the time it is objective messages slotted in with bit part news pieces. As we see here, a perfect example.

VinLieger wrote: »
    My opinion is i think its horribly ironic that you are complaining about others being snowflakes while getting so bizzarely worked up and annoyed about something that has zero affect on you.

It actually affects all of us because whether you realise it or not, this silly culture is creeping and changing normal public discourse gradually.
    It is this nonsense that is causing so many countries and societies to move further right.

What is wrong with people protesting against a company which has sacked 13 senior execs for sexual harassment and makes their employees sign NDA's when they try to make such a complaint?

Honestly, why on earth do you think people shouldn't be protesting this?

I hope nobody here has a daughter that goes through anything like this if all they're going to get is a 'cop on' or being called feminists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Did anyone in the Dublin office walk out, I wonder?

yes, have a look at RTE.ie

a large amount of workers participated

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Whats the reason for this claim,

From the article its
    "women are also becoming fed up with the male-dominated composition of the technology industry’s workforce — an imbalance that critics say fosters unsavoury behaviour."

You live in a male dominated world of IT.

In my software course 32males to 2 females(6 years ago)
    So how would I expect my Software job to have 15 males & 15 females when females arent studying in the Ducking area.
    Yes I said Ducking :P

That highlighted part is actually the journalist/ Indo editor injecting their personal message. It is an attempt to foster a certain discourse that is desirable to either the journalist who wrote it or the Indo editorial policy.

Do not mistake some of their ****e for proper news, a lot of the time it is objective messages slotted in with bit part news pieces. As we see here, a perfect example.

Actually, the piece was written by the Associated Press and supplied to the Indo. RTE had the same piece this morning as well.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a bull**** narrative though, eh?

Actually, the piece was written by the Associated Press and supplied to the Indo. RTE had the same piece this morning as well.

The quote still refers to a wider issue and was likely put into the piece by the original author

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not many Irish people even working in Google in Dublin. Mostly foreigners.

Username checks out.

Riskymove wrote: »

The quote still refers to a wider issue and was likely put into the piece by the original author

'Likely' or it was? Did you read them?

Maybe, just maybe, the people in Google have a point but some of the women-hating fools in here are allowed to spread lies to try and make their point seem more legitimate.

'Likely' or it was? Did you read them?

Well, the section appears in both Indo and RTE which suggest it was in the original AP piece and therefore written by the original author.

The statement by Google workers does not refer to the protest being about what is in that section. Now, that doesn't mean what is in the section isn't factual but the OP suggests it as the reason for the protest - which it is not

NY Times coverage of protests:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/technology/google-walkout-sexual-harassment.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Cordell wrote: »
    Username checks out.

To be fair this is true. It's good though as it brings international people to the country who then spend their wages here, bring their friends over, post instagrams to their friends who then come over - all good things without even touching on the sexy foreign girls aspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

But you get free grub in google and they have games and other things to make work fun.  I can't believe this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ELM327 wrote: »
    Can't find a thread on this here
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/google-employees-to-walk-out-in-protest-at-treatment-of-women-37481348.html

"Google employees to walk out in protest at treatment of women"

This is the latest in the long long line of stupid milennial BS "protests". I hope all of those snowflakes that walk off the job today get subjected to disciplinary process.

Opinions?

Why do you care? it is a privately owned company, them walking off the job has zero effect on you. they'll probably work the time back at the end of the day.

Well, the section appears in both Indo and RTE which suggest it was in the original AP piece and therefore written by the original author.

The statement by Google workers does not refer to the protest being about what is in that section. Now, that doesn't mean what is in the section isn't factual but the OP suggests it as the reason for the protest - which it is not

NY Times coverage of protests:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/technology/google-walkout-sexual-harassment.html

It wasn’t an Indo editorial though, as the OP said it was without any evidence or fact-checking.

I genuinely don’t know why I bother. This place is full of dinosaurs who dismiss concerns raised about sexual harassment as millennial BS or label them as ‘the PC brigade’.

This was a worldwide protest yet some of the clever clogs here think they should be docked pay and think they know everything that’s going on and dismiss the workers concerns as nothing.

All of this, and not one person has given me a reason why Google’s workers shouldn’t be doing this. All I’m getting is people knit picking at posts and diverting the topic way off it’s subject matter.

The reason for this is because nobody has a reason why they shouldn’t be doing this. They just want to be outraged that other people are outraged that sexual harassment takes place in their workplace.

Yet the Google workers are the ones who are snowflakes.

All I’m getting is people knit picking at posts and diverting the topic way off it’s subject matter.

I think you've missed my point about the section completely. Perhaps read my earlier post at #12

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You need to have a look at yourself and wonder why ...
    ...you're conflating the two. Just sayin'

I'd say no one dared not participate

Zulu wrote: »
    You need to have a look at yourself and wonder why ...
    ...you're conflating the two. Just sayin'

How am I conflating them when one falls under the category of the other?

Sexual harassment is a form of sexual misconduct. It's really not that difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'd say no one dared not participate
    I was thinking that. Imagine what it would be like for anyone who didn't take part, whether they agreed or not.

Floppybits wrote: »
    I was thinking that. Imagine what it would be like for anyone who didn't take part, whether they agreed or not.
    diversity of thought is not welcome

• Advertisement

Sexual harassment is a form of sexual misconduct. It's really not that difficult to understand.
    Then why not "sexual misconduct"? ...thats the bit I'm having difficulty understanding.

Advertisement