Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Staff stage walkout?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Saw a picture of them on RTE. There's males in the crowd, can't get my head around that. Surely the only reason they are there is to increase their chances of banging one of the females by pretending to agree with them?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Zulu wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Sexual harassment is a form of sexual misconduct. It's really not that difficult to understand.
    Then why not "sexual misconduct"? ...thats the bit I'm having difficulty understanding.

What difference does it make to your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Lol! None.

What difference does it make to yours?

Lol! None.

What difference does it make to yours?

You tried to knit-pick my post and then said you had difficulty understanding why I said one phrase over another.

Piss off unless you want to actually have a conversation.

Although now you'll come back with something like 'LOL you're triggered'.

Troll.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Floppybits wrote: »
    I was thinking that. Imagine what it would be like for anyone who didn't take part, whether they agreed or not.

About the same as anyone not taking part in union action or a strike in their company, I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

doylefe wrote: »
    Saw a picture of them on RTE. There's males in the crowd, can't get my head around that. Surely the only reason they are there is to increase their chances of banging one of the females by pretending to agree with them?

The males are the ones everyone ignores so they are getting brownie points by staging a walkout with the girlettes. They are probably hoping some of the women will agree to a date but women arent usually interested in these type of men. They prefer the alpha male types who will get to earn big bucks and diamonds are a girls best friend.

You tried to knit-pick my post and then said you had difficulty understanding why I said one phrase over another.

Troll.
    Well now, thats not very nice now, is it?
    You used a far more specific term (sexual harrassment of women) over a less specific term. I questioned why. You clearly see this as "knit-picking" but I'd argue that I'm shining a light on what may in fact be your unconscious bias.

Clearly you don't like having people question you. That's fair enough. And luckily for you there are plenty of echo-chambers where you can fester in your own biases. Indeed, it would appear that there are even companies that encourage that kind of close-mindedness, Google!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think there may be an element of self loathing in Google employees when they realise that they literally work for Skynet

Troll.
    You used a far more specific term (sexual harrassment of women) over a less specific term. I questioned why. You clearly see this as "knit-picking" but I'd argue that I'm shining a light on what may in fact be your unconscious bias.

Clearly you don't like having people question you. That's fair enough. And luckily for you there are plenty of echo-chambers where you can fester in your own biases. Indeed, it would appear that there are even companies that encourage that kind of close-mindedness, Google!

What biases?

You aren't questioning anything to do with the topic at hand. You're questioning my use of sexual harassment of women instead of sexual misconduct. This is what this is about. A number of men have been sacked from Google because of their behaviour (which is namely sexual harassment of women) so that's why I'm using that particular phrase.

Again, I don't know what difference it makes to you, much like the vast amount of people here who think protesting against sexual misconduct is PC gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The interesting thing is that it's often not unconscious bias but rather a conscious tactic, a linguistic trap. You redefine a phrase like "harassment" in a way that it's nearly impossible not to fall foul of it but the consequences of fouling afoul of it remain at the most extreme interpretation of the phrase

Watch Bret Weinstein explain it at around the 15 minute mark in the video. Actually watch the whole video because he's describing the strategy behind what's happening at Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're not coping with adulthood well. It's not college anymore.

I can see it in my own generation. Problems with discipline and maturity from people in their late 20s and early 30s.

The world is a hard place, don't be weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Dangerous the way they lay down the expectation that people walk out. What if you were not sure of the facts of the case and didn't want to take a position? That is the reason that I could never work for one of these organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nope, they're just snowflakes getting offended over nothing.

That's because some people here are stuck in the stone ages and don't believe they should be allowed call for better treatment or equality.

Whats equality though ? 50% men 50% women in the IT workforce ?

When will we learn - women have F all interest in geeky stuff.

Generally this is true, but to acknowledge it in 2018 is a fireable offence.

Google's likely response? Promise to address the issue while they gradually relocate to parts of the world where this is less likely to happen.

Call me a cynic but you don't dare mess with the bottom line of money making entities like Google. They can go where they like and there are probably many places where they will be welcomed and have their needs adequately accommodated.

No no, they will bow down to them and change their hiring policies, even if it means hiring incompetent people for the job - cos they fit the identity politic profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think there may be an element of self loathing in Google employees when they realise that they literally work for Skynet

Surely not as much as in chipper and petrol station workers, right?

Theres not enough transexual black muslim disabled people on the board at Gooogle ..... I demand this change now!!!
    With identity politics it's a total mess, more and more of these new groups will be invented and where do you draw the line ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

tretorn wrote: »
    The males are the ones everyone ignores so they are getting brownie points by staging a walkout with the girlettes. They are probably hoping some of the women will agree to a date but women arent usually interested in these type of men. They prefer the alpha male types who will get to earn big bucks and diamonds are a girls best friend.
    The Google staff look exactly like I imagined. Angry feminists and dweeby low T males. Most of them are foreign as well. Would not want to work there.

I don't think you're in no danger of having that happening to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Why are so many getting offended on the behalf of others surely their own jobs should be more important than mass virtue signalling just a thought to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They are indeed a fairly ordinary looking bunch. It’s nice to see they are fighting oppression for tech workers in Google Inc. because that’s the most pressing issue these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Mutant z wrote: »
    Why are so many getting offended on the behalf of others surely their own jobs should be more important than mass virtue signalling just a thought to consider.

Yep. Those Google workers should get back to their desks.

Nope, they're just snowflakes getting offended over nothing.

That's because some people here are stuck in the stone ages and don't believe they should be allowed call for better treatment or equality.

Whats equality though ? 50% men 50% women in the IT workforce ?

Are women entitled to be able to go to work and not be at the receiving end of sexual misconduct from senior executives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Are women entitled to be able to go to work and not be at the receiving end of sexual misconduct from senior executives?

Definitely. This is a valid enough protest as it happens (though I have taken the mild piss already).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

doylefe wrote: »

Or they're ordinary decent blokes who know something is wrong with the culture in the company they work at, and since they have to spend min 40 hours a week at work, they want to put pressure on their organisation to change....You know just like any bunch of workers who are unhappy with conditions in their workplace

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cordell wrote: »
    Surely not as much as in chipper and petrol station workers, right?
    we got a google employee on our hands? tell me, how does it feel to be this woke?

Well while you may have a point on some women liking more alpha men (all other things being equal) it isn’t the alpha males making the big bucks, if these guys are betas.

We're humans, not wolves. Or, if you prefer, the alpha male humans are the leaders like Serghey Brin, and not the likes of Connor McGregor.

we got a google employee on our hands? tell me, how does it feel to be this woke?

Can you see my location? Is any Google office in Limerick that I don't know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What biases?

You aren't questioning anything to do with the topic at hand. You're questioning my use of sexual harassment of women instead of sexual misconduct. This is what this is about. A number of men have been sacked from Google because of their behaviour (which is namely sexual harassment of women) so that's why I'm using that particular phrase.

Again, I don't know what difference it makes to you, much like the vast amount of people here who think protesting against sexual misconduct is PC gone mad.

But why did you use sexual harassment? The story already had the proper offence, you changed it. Presumably to make it sound worse? There's no reason to change it otherwise.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    The interesting thing is that it's often not unconscious bias but rather a conscious tactic, a linguistic trap.

Ah well, you see, I was trying to be kind with "unconscious" as (s)he already has their knickers in a bunch.

Advertisement