Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Staff stage walkout?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Cordell wrote: »
    We're humans, not wolves. Or, if you prefer, the alpha male humans are the leaders like Serghey Brin, and not the likes of Connor McGregor.

True, I suppose. The idea that human alphas are all muscle bound is nonsense. Those guys make good cannon fodder or gladiators though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Dangerous the way they lay down the expectation that people walk out. What if you were not sure of the facts of the case and didn't want to take a position? That is the reason that I could never work for one of these organisations.

It's a valid point.

I'm curious as to what percentage of the Googlers actually did "walk-out",and more to the point was the action choreographed or otherwise planned to ensure minimal disruption to the days productivity ?

Will the walkers-out have their wages docked ?

Equally,how many Staff remained working normally,cos they did'nt see anything valid enough to protest about ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

Riskymove wrote: »
    Chief Diversity Officer

We need another war, and quickly.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But why did you use sexual harassment? The story already had the proper offence, you changed it. Presumably to make it sound worse? There's no reason to change it otherwise.

What do you mean I changed it? Sexual harassment is the offence, which falls under the broader term of sexual misconduct.

I swear people are just making **** up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Faugheen wrote: »
    What do you mean I changed it? Sexual harassment is the offence, which falls under the broader term of sexual misconduct.

I swear people are just making **** up now.

The article says they were fired for sexual misconduct. Sexual harassment is one thing that it could have been (sexual misconduct covers a good few things, including sexual harassment) but it also could have been things less serious.

So unless they were all fired for sexual harassment, you're wrong to say they were.

Sure why not just go the whole hog and call them rapists if youre using terms interchangeably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It's a valid point.

I'm curious as to what percentage of the Googlers actually did "walk-out",and more to the point was the action choreographed or otherwise planned to ensure minimal disruption to the days productivity ?

Will the walkers-out have their wages docked ?

Equally,how many Staff remained working normally,cos they did'nt see anything valid enough to protest about ?

So, while I'm not working for Google and I never did, I can give you a few pointers about these kind of things. While working for such private organizations that have a carefully crafted public image you are expected to adhere to their values, rules and policies. If you disagree with any of them, it's the "disagree and commit" type of disagreement, unless your're a very senior executive and the disagreement is mild enough. You can have your own opinions, but it's best to leave them at the door when you go in, you can get them back when you go home. I imply here that this protest received the unofficial nod from the senior executives.
    Also, they aren't democratic organizations and I can't understand why people expect them to behave like ones.

On this particular protest, my understanding is that is directed against sexual misconduct, so there is no reason to protest the protest.
    It is very unlikely that they will have any pay docked or be reprimanded in any way. They aren't on hourly contracts, so it will be difficult to say how much pay needs to be docked anyway.

The article says they were fired for sexual misconduct. Sexual harassment is one thing that it could have been (sexual misconduct covers a good few things, including sexual harassment) but it also could have been things less serious.

So unless they were all fired for sexual harassment, you're wrong to say they were.

Sure why not just go the whole hog and call them rapists if youre using terms interchangeably?

Actually, RTÉ has referred to them as sexual harassment, as have Irish Times and CNN in their headlines.

Don’t believe me?

https://www.rte.ie/news/technology/2018/1101/1007962-google/
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/google-staff-stage-walkout-in-dublin-over-sexual-harassment-1.3682812
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/01/tech/google-employee-walkout-andy-rubin/index.html

Actually, even the Indo article in the OP (which I assume you’re referring to) says this:
    Among other things, Mr Pichai and Ms Naughton disclosed that Google had fired 48 employees, including 13 senior managers, for “sexual harassment” in recent years without giving any of them severance packages.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/google-employees-walk-out-in-protest-over-treatment-of-women-37481348.html

Any other lies you want to bring to the table?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Actually, RTÉ has referred to them as sexual harassment, as have Irish Times and CNN in their headlines.

Don’t believe me?

https://www.rte.ie/news/technology/2018/1101/1007962-google/
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/google-staff-stage-walkout-in-dublin-over-sexual-harassment-1.3682812
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/01/tech/google-employee-walkout-andy-rubin/index.html

Actually, even the Indo article in the OP (which I assume you’re referring to) says this:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/google-employees-walk-out-in-protest-over-treatment-of-women-37481348.html

Any other lies you want to bring to the table?

Lies? There was 1 article linked to that people were replying to . Or were you secretly replying to others and just not telling us. You're very prone to getting a bit hysterical aren't you . Throwing around troll and lies. Maybe you need to calm yourself down a bit.

Lies? There was 1 article linked to that people were replying to . Or were you secretly replying to others and just not telling us. You're very prone to getting a bit hysterical aren't you . Throwing around troll and lies. Maybe you need to calm yourself down a bit.

Yes, which is the Indo article which I have linked again in my post.

You came into the thread and accused me of changing the offence. I didn’t change f*ck all as I’ve just proven.

Therefore, you’re a liar - or you got it wrong, in which case you can apologise.

I’ve given you multiple links which uses the word ‘harassment’, since you seemed so keen to pick a fight over it (neither is better than the other, by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Cordell wrote: »
    So, while I'm not working for Google and I never did, I can give you a few pointers about these kind of things. While working for such private organizations that have a carefully crafted public image you are expected to adhere to their values, rules and policies. If you disagree with any of them, it's the "disagree and commit" type of disagreement, unless your're a very senior executive and the disagreement is mild enough. You can have your own opinions, but it's best to leave them at the door when you go in, you can get them back when you go home. I imply here that this protest received the unofficial nod from the senior executives.
    Also, they aren't democratic organizations and I can't understand why people expect them to behave like ones.

On this particular protest, my understanding is that is directed against sexual misconduct, so there is no reason to protest against the protest.
    It is very unlikely that they will have any pay docked or be reprimanded in any way. They aren't on hourly contracts, so it will be difficult to say how much pay needs to be docked anyway.

Well put.

I see it as a well crafted bit of global PR,with little risk of much damage to the Goog itself.

Storm in a T cup really ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well put.

I see it as a well crafted bit of global PR,with little risk of much damage to the Goog itself.

Storm in a T cup really ? ;)

Have a look at the video I posted, its long but it gives an idea of whats going on with companies like Google. Thne look at the list of demands this lot issued. Google are being hoisted on their own petard :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Nermal wrote: »
    We need another war, and quickly.

And women in Afghanistan thought they had it tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How long did they walk out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Sadly this is my issue, Companies are now bending backwards to hire women and promote women up the ranks to have a gender equality.

So now, when I go for a promotion in my multinational company who's committed to 50% female management in 2020. I am instantly at a disadvantage over female who is less qualified and less suitable, because gender equality??

simple really. If someone doesn’t have an interest in certain subjects then they are not going to pursue a career that field, regardless of gender/race/creed/helicopter. If there is an imbalance of genders in certain professions then it is down to human nature, not inequality. Pushing for gender equality in professions means you don’t always get the best person suited for the job, which leaves me f*eckin perplexed why some companies embrace it.

Regarding the statement of the protesters, 3/4 of it is b*lloxogy. Also people are outraged because they see others doing or participating in something that doesn't concern them or have any impact of their lives. This works bother irregardless of your political view. Whats important is that ever accusation of sexual harassment etc must be taken serious, irregardless of the generation the accuser was born into. It can happen to 'millennials', to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

... You came into the thread and accused me of changing the offence. I didn’t change f*ck all as I’ve just proven.

Therefore, you’re a liar - or you got it wrong, in which case you can apologise.... .
    Sweet baby jesus luv, calm down its only the internet.

Let me be the very first to apologise, unreservedly and wholly, for any slight, misrepresentation, or other perceived injustices you feel you may have suffered from me or any other person(s) in this thread.

I'm double plus sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not all down to human nature, which can't be changed, it's also the culture, which can be. For example, in ex-communist countries it was quite usual to have a woman working in the factory, manning a lathe, for example...also, in the tech equivalent of that age, women were much more represented than they are today.
    So I agree that pushing diversity for the sake of diversity is not the ideal way to go about it, but programmes like WIT are.
    Whats important is that ever accusation of sexual harassment etc must be taken serious
    Even better than dealing with it in the proper way is to prevent it from happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder how many men felt that they had to walk out for fear of reprocusions from female activists in the workplace,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    For anyone sceptical about these kind of protests, the interview with James Damore ( google engineer who was fired for voicing concerns about gender quotas, from a platform that was supposed to encourage free and open debate ) , on the Rubin report.... is fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NOSD0XK0r8

The fact actual abuse was ignored or rewarded with payoffs highlights even more the disgraceful treatment of James Damore, who only did what he was asked and offered his opinions in a well researched INTERNAL memo - that would have improved women's position in Google. Thats not how the media reported it though. That was my wake up call to how biased the media really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

The constant references to equity too is telling. This is code for equality of outcome.. However walking out over the payoffs and ignored sexual harassment is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

How long did they walk out for?

Until it got a bit nippy, then they walked back into their warm offices for a free latte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

319c0b_5649982.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Heres the truth about these dopes protesting yesterday - none of them have been victims of sexual harrasement.
    There is no sexual harassment at Google - it's already an SJW leftist lunatic organization.

They are just angry feminists that hate men and are using the wage gap myth to rant and rave.
    The beta male pussies that protested with them are losers that think they will get laid - they won't , these guys are useful idiots
    to these blue haired man hating loons.
    I mean did you see the document - "There is not enough women of colour that are in positions of power in Google"
    So more ****ing "Women of colour" apply for the jobs then!!!
    Stop labeling people you F-CKING RACISTS!!!!

FACTS baby.

Advertisement