Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

6541 wrote: »
    Meh, the Gardai were hostile enough to Irish people fleeing persecution for years. If this guy is one of those cop-cops then it'll only be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

He is a Presbyterian Ulster Man, who's father was killed by the IRA. Who cut his teeth in the RUC. What can possibly go wrong !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,223 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Those Protestants

Up to no good as usual

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Gardai must think a United Ireland is on the cards in the next while, getting the integration process started early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,539 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What has his religion go to with this?

It should be about his ability.

Be good for the Gardai to have an outside influence.

He is a Presbyterian Ulster Man, who's father was killed by the IRA. Who cut his teeth in the RUC. What can possibly go wrong !

in what way is he hostile to irish culture?

What do you foresee him doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

His dad, an RUC Superintendent, having being killed in an IRA attack would make him a bit of an odd choice to head up AGS alright - but at the same time I wholeheartedly welcome the fact that he's not one of the "old guard". We've seen how well THAT works out!

A complete RUC/PSNI-style reform of AGS is what's needed to restore confidence and integrity to the force at this stage. Maybe he'll be the one to lead it, but it will absolutely depend on support from the Dept and Minister for Justice if he's to achieve antyhing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd take him over a bigot any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, isn't this another step to convincing those of a unionist/presbyterian persuasion of their place in a potential UI? How is he "hostile"?

Or is this now republican types showing their true colours?

His religion should have nothing to do with this, and I don't know why you highlighted it in your post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

For God and Ulster Drew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

seachto7 wrote: »
    Well, isn't this another step to convincing those of a unionist/presbyterian persuasion of their place in a potential UI? How is he "hostile"?

His religion should have nothing to do with this, and I don't know why you highlighted it in your post.

Nothing to do with religion, but perhaps there could be a bit of bitterness or resentment (even unconsciously) that could affect his decisions as head of AGS? I'd think that's more what the poster was getting at?

Of course, it may not be an issue at all and I for one would welcome some badly-needed new blood within the senior ranks of AGS. As I said though, ministerial/departmental support will be key. We've already seen what AGS do when threatened from within (close ranks, intimidation, refusal to cooperate etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Even if he was, how would that in any way affect his ability to do the job?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nothing to do with religion, but perhaps there could be a bit of bitterness or resentment (even unconsciously) that could affect his decisions as head of AGS? I'd think that's more what the poster was getting at?

bitterness and resentment against the IRA possibly. I'm sure there are plenty already in the gardai who dont like them either.

seachto7 wrote: »

Of course, it may not be an issue at all and I for one would welcome some badly-needed new blood within the senior ranks of AGS. As I said though, ministerial/departmental support will be key. We've already seen what AGS do when threatened from within (close ranks, intimidation, refusal to cooperate etc)

Resentment towards who?

Anyone who despises cowardly murderous IRA bastards can't be all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It'll take more than a new face at the top to sort out the mess in AGS, no matter who it is.

Still, a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Anybody that despises people who enabled sectarian state collusion can't be bad either !

Anybody that despises people who enabled sectarian state collusion can be bad either !

Have you evidence that he did? Or is his religion enough for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Delighted he's not from the usual stable. Hopefully its the sign there is going to be a complete overhaul of AGS from the top down.

I suspect a few senior Gardai will now resign early in a huff though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

This guy is possibly hostile to Irish culture.

Some previous commissioners have been too close to their political masters.
    Bit of independence (healthy distance from the prevailing culture) may be no bad thing for the Gardai.

Anybody that despises people who enabled sectarian state collusion can be bad either !

Have you evidence that he did? Or is his religion enough for you?
    Of course he doesn't. Imagine using his religion in the title to question his merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,223 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Headline on the Independent link
    First 'outsider' to head up An Garda Síochána as Drew Harris takes Commissioner role

There is obviously only one appropriate response to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

So he is an anti IRA Gardai Commissioner.

That's fine with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

so after a worldwide search of the worlds police forces this is the best they could appoint?

absolute joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

The RUC were utter scum as well, or had you forgotten that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

….the PSNI, formerly the RUC, notoriously secretive and a law unto themselves. He'll fit right in.

• Advertisement

Gardai must think a United Ireland is on the cards in the next while, getting the integration process started early

My thoughts almost exactly (I'd say the senior civil servants are factoring it in at this stage), and that BBC poll last week is making it clear how things are changing in the North regarding reunification.

42% of people in North want a United Ireland

Fewer NI people feel British than other UK regions

My thoughts almost exactly (I'd say the senior civil servants are factoring it in at this stage), and that BBC poll last week is making it clear how things are changing in the North regarding reunification.

42% of people in North want a United Ireland

Fewer NI people feel British than other UK regions
    It was 21% in another poll who want a United Ireland last month. Maybe he just got appointed because he is highly experienced and great at his job. I do find it funny though how some think it is some grand conspiracy for unification. :cheerful:

wrong way dear chap.

Best dig out those union flags you've been keeping in store for all those years.

God save our gra.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

New broom sweeps clean and all that. He has first hand experience of root and branch reform in a Police force. I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt over another insider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

gandalf wrote:
    I suspect a few senior Gardai will now resign early in a huff though....

With luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I feel sorry for the man when he sees how bad our judicial system he will regret taking the job.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for the man when he sees how bad our judicial system he will regret taking the job.

with a salary of €250,000 a year i'm sure he will put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

with a salary of €250,000 a year i'm sure he will put up with it.

He was making €200k in his former job.

Price of housing and cost of living down here he will be worse off.

He was making €200k in his former job.

Price of housing and cost of living down here he will be worse off.

really? his basic salary as a deputy chief constable was in the region of 163,000. they get allowances on top of that so about 180,000 in total. His basic salary will be 250,000 (about £220,000) plus most like some allowances as well. Its a nice little bump. Not forgetting whatever they put into his pension pot as well. Plus he will still be young enough for a Chief Constable position in the uk at the end of his 5 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

so after a worldwide search of the worlds police forces this is the best they could appoint?

absolute joke

Pay cap of 250k. Heads of top police forces around the world probably unlikely to uproot their family to come to expensive Ireland to take charge of a police force in a jurisdiction they no nothing about for that amount.

No surprise that the appointee is someone with a knowledge of Irish policing. On what basis do you think they're not suitable for the job?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Aegir wrote: »
    wrong way dear chap.

Best dig out those union flags you've been keeping in store for all those years.

I suppose no wonder the west brits are so protective of the monarchy, when theyve got nothing else to believe in, zero chance of Ireland rejoining UK, not even a chance of joining the commonwealth, United Ireland getting more likely, british army about to get hammered in the courts, Brexit tearing apart the union, dark times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

wrong way dear chap.

I suppose no wonder the west brits are so protective of the monarchy, when theyve got nothing else to believe in, zero chance of Ireland rejoining UK, not even a chance of joining the commonwealth, United Ireland getting more likely, british army about to get hammered in the courts, Brexit tearing apart the union, dark times

West brits????

Wtf are you a mod on exactly????? The drunk, crying, tricolour pants wearing republican forum?????.

timthumbni wrote: »
    wrong way dear chap.

I suppose no wonder the west brits are so protective of the monarchy, when theyve got nothing else to believe in, zero chance of Ireland rejoining UK,  not even a chance of joining the commonwealth, United Ireland getting more likely, british army about to get hammered in the courts, Brexit tearing apart the union, dark times

West brits????  

Wtf are you a mod on exactly?????  The drunk, crying, tricolour pants wearing republican forum?????.
    It's because he's a Prod some don't like it. So much for the equality, tolerance and respect agenda. The guy has more than enough qualifications for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

timthumbni wrote: »
    West brits????

Wtf are you a mod on exactly????? The drunk, crying, tricolour pants wearing republican forum?????.

Or *****, as most people refer to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The RUC were utter scum as well, or had you forgotten that.

Generalisation much. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭facehugger99

His dad, an RUC Superintendent, having being killed in an IRA attack would make him a bit of an odd choice to head up AGS alright -.

The IRA murdered members of AGS too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Great move because lets be honest another internal appointment would have been a disaster. I don't think high ranking Gardai will make it easy for him. Hopefully he's a tough nut who starts reform swiftly against a tide of resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Unless they separate Garda policing from national security functions this makes no sense.

Harris' loyalty has always been to a foreign power. It was revealed at the Smithwick Tribunal that as PSNI head of intelligence he was its interface with MI5. Hardly a safe set of hands for matters of national security.

No adverse reflection on Harris' character intended : he appears to be a talented, experienced and principled Police officer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wish him well.

I hope he gets the support he deserves from the rank and file who were thwarted by corruption and ineptitude over many years.

The support for him may just come from those not far up the ranks. I hope he gets a decent budget and support. Could be the best thing ever for this country. Hope so anyway.

Am not one bit worried or even thinking of the fact that he is ex PSNI, they had to go through their own very painful reforms and transition and it has worked reasonably well. So he knows what cleaning out a dodgy organisation is like!

Am very pleased it wasn't another insider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Unless they separate Garda policing from national security functions this makes no sense.

Harris' loyalty has always been to a foreign power. It was revealed at the Smithwick Tribunal that as PSNI head of intelligence he was its interface with MI5. Hardly a safe set of hands for matters of national security.

No adverse reflection on Harris' character intended : he appears to be a talented, experienced and principled Police officer.

What matters of State security do you imagine he will be passing on to MI5 - everybody knows the Nuclear fallout bunker is under the Costume Barracks in Athlone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custume_Barracks Do we have any other secrets that might be useful to a 'foreign' power - the very one we would turn if we were threatened by terrorists/Russia etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement