Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

To be fair to be the bishop, he's not wrong to express the view of his church in the matter. I completely disagree with the view myself, but he's entitled to express it. Anyone religious bothered by it should be reconsidering their stance on the church. Hopefully that's what we'll see from all this.

Yeah, what he's saying isn't deviating from the party line so I'm not sure why people are shocked by what he's said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,816 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

To be fair to be the bishop, he's not wrong to express the view of his church in the matter. I completely disagree with the view myself, but he's entitled to express it.

Yeah quit bashing the bishop.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

There are 2 Yes voters in my family who are quite religious. They are furious about what the bishop said yesterday re sin/confession. Furious. Big mistake by Rome. Another nail...

Yeah, my father is a no-voting, practicing Catholic and he was not at all impressed by the bishop's statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

There are 2 Yes voters in my family who are quite religious. They are furious about what the bishop said yesterday re sin/confession. Furious. Big mistake by Rome. Another nail...

That can't be that religious when they voted for something which is completely opposite to Catholic teaching.

To be honest I don't understand what your parents expected him to say. That they were right to vote Yes? That would have been a bigger shock for him to have come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2018/05/ireland-an-obituary

John Waters is proper bonkers, of course we knew this, but sweet Jesus, he really is mad.

Yeah you won't be missing much by not clicking on that link.

Here's a little snippet.
    The Irish people are now the happy ones who dash their own children against the rocks.
    Today, Ireland dances on the graves of little children.
    The Irish of today are more likely to be among the looters and book-burners, the barbarians who value nothing but what is expedient.

I find it strange why John Waters is never asked why he hates Ireland and Irish people so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Trasna1 wrote: »
    That can't be that religious when they voted for something which is completely opposite to Catholic teaching.

To be honest I don't understand what your parents expected him to say. That they were right to vote Yes? That would have been a bigger shock for him to have come out with.

They voted to allow other people to do things that go against catholic teaching. I dont see the sin in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The whichcandidate.ie website was mentioned on breakingnews.ie + mentioned in the Limerick leader prior to the last general election.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/still-not-sure-who-to-vote-for-let-us-help-721978.html

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/202525/Whichcandidate-ie-is-a--one.html[/URL]
    I don't live in Limerick so I so read the Limerick Leader
    An article from the Broadsheet .ie website took note of the whichcandidate.ie online survey " According to the whichcandidate.ie election site, of the 44 elected Fianna Fáil TDs, only two – Lisa Chambers and Jim O’Callaghan – favour expanding access to abortion " .

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/03/09/a-grand-pro-life-coalition/
    I don't read the Broadsheet that often either. Both papers are not main stream. You can list them all and it still wont matter I never heard of the site till now.
    Why are you targeting her in particular? There were plenty of politicians that adopted a pro-life stance. The pro-choice side won and I'm delighted with that but deciding to name and shame politicians that didn't agree with that stance is tacky imo.
    I posted it after someone put up a link to the local radio station with mary on it talking about why the no side lost.

She is my local politician, I had people contact me via pm on facebook trying their level best to get me to vote for her. Not once did her minions tell me she was pro life. She is also the main instigator for getting all the pro life FF TD's together. She first backed the assembly them wanted another citizens assembly because she didn't like the results.
    23/01/2018 She was speaking at a Dail debate on the report of the joint committee This just a sample of what she said and it sounds like the teaching of the YD save the 8th boot camp manual. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-01-23/43/

People always said, "Congratulations, you are expecting a baby". It is my firm belief that the unborn baby must be protected in the Constitution. That is certainly where my vote will be. The committee witnesses spoke about a foetus and terminating the life of the foetus. What lovely language to use when, ultimately, one is aborting a baby. Everything to be found in a fully grown person is formed in a baby at eight weeks in the womb. At 11 weeks, a baby in the womb has fingerprints and its fingernails appear. At 12 weeks in the womb the baby's lips open and close, it turns its head and it can leap around the womb. To be quite clear, I am not a member of the pro-life group or the Iona Institute. I am a person who has formulated my own opinions and I stand proudly to articulate them tonight.

voteno-e1524670768662-600x278.jpg

https://loveboth.ie/loveboth-simon-harris-debate-abortion/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Kind of pathetic of Ruth Coppinger to start whining over Varadkar describing the yes vote as part of a quiet revolution, which of course it was as it didn't involve any violence.

I knew people involved in the campaign were going to to and make sure to milk this for attention for themselves but wouldn't you think that campaigners could be happy the campaign succeeded and move on without trying to turn something like this into a competition., Katherine Zappone seems to be at the same lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ah tbf Ruth Coppinger is perfectly entitled to a whine at the very least she was one of the few getting the ball rolling at an early stage to tackle the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Ah tbf Ruth Coppinger is perfectly entitled to a whine at the very least she was one of the few getting the ball rolling at an early stage to tackle the issue.

But I thought the whole point of this referendum was to change the law, it's supposed to be a much bigger issue than mere politics and taking credit for yourself.Just be happy your side won and get on with you life without needing a clap on the back for it.

Or perhaps because it is an issue that they feel really strongly about?

It doesn't matter how strong they feel about it if you do not have a right to vote to should not cast one. And it doesn't matter how ****tly the register is kept. I feel strongly about lots of issues abroad but I'm not interfering in their elections.

The last controversial referendum on the horizon is Irish unity and it's far from certain that will be passed. How do you feel about northern unionists casting a vote down here using the address of a holiday home, friends and sympathisers? Or how do you feel about returning US emigrants, sympathetic to the unity cause, casting a yes vote, ****ing off back to the States and leaving us that actually live here to suffer with the resulting terrorism.

Home to vote seems to be grand when those who and coming back are likely to be on your side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Who said they were my parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

dav3 wrote: »
    Yeah you won't be missing much by not clicking on that link.

Here's a little snippet.

I find it strange why John Waters is never asked why he hates Ireland and Irish people so much.
    I find it strange that he swore blind that he’d leave the country if the referendum passes and yet.... he’s still here.

It doesn't matter how strong they feel about it if you do not have a right to vote to should not cast one. And it doesn't matter how ****tly the register is kept. I feel strongly about lots of issues abroad but I'm not interfering in their elections.

The last controversial referendum on the horizon is Irish unity and it's far from certain that will be passed. How do you feel about northern unionists casting a vote down here using the address of a holiday home, friends and sympathisers? Or how do you feel about returning US emigrants, sympathetic to the unity cause, casting a yes vote, ****ing off back to the States and leaving us that actually live here to suffer with the resulting terrorism.

Home to vote seems to be grand when those who are coming back are likely to be on your side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would be interesting to see what that translates to figure-wise and why there would seem to be so little engagement by women in the 18-24 age bracket when it comes to the election process.
    Remember that it doesn't actually say that men 18-24 are particularly engaged in the election process, just that women aged 18-24 were inspired to join in this time.

If you look at the data from the point of view of "men thought this was a women's issue to be decided by women", then that data does make a lot of sense; Men on the whole shied away from voting, while women dived in.

It would be interesting to see what the exit poll revealed about the raw number of male -v- female voters and how that differed from usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

spookwoman wrote: »

M. Everything to be found in a fully grown person is formed in a baby at eight weeks in the womb.
    Except, per your next sentence; fingerprints, fingernail, the ability to open and close it’s mouth, and the ability to decide to move.

Incidentally, you can also add ‘the ability to open its eyes, a brain that is connected to its nervous system, nerves capable of transmitting impulses, ears that are on the sides of its head, and any functioning organs at all.’

seamus wrote: »
    Remember that it doesn't actually say that men 18-24 are particularly engaged in the election process, just that women aged 18-24 were inspired to join in this time.

If you look at the data from the point of view of "men thought this was a women's issue to be decided by women", then that data does make a lot of sense; Men on the whole shied away from voting, while women dived in.

It would be interesting to see what the exit poll revealed about the raw number of male -v- female voters and how that differed from usual.

Which is why I'd like to see the actual figures.

Home to vote seems to be grand when those who and coming back are likely to be on your side.

If you’ve been out of the country for 18 months or less you’re entitled to a vote. I don’t see why there’s such a kafuffle about it. For every Home to vote yes page there was a home to vote no page to match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,816 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I find it strange that he swore blind that he’d leave the country if the referendum passes and yet.... he’s still here.

Well he has a sort of form in this regard. All those years eulogising Roscommon and rural Ireland generally in his newspaper columns. While living in Dublin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Joe Dog wrote: »
    But I thought the whole point of this referendum was to change the law, it's supposed to be a much bigger issue than mere politics and taking credit for yourself.Just be happy your side won and get on with you life without needing a clap on the back for it.
    Wouldn't have got to referendum stage if not for the likes whining away. No harm in having an opinion about someone who wouldn't help get it off ground and swapped sides in the later stages.

• Advertisement

Well he has a sort of form in this regard. All those years eulogising Roscommon and rural Ireland generally in his newspaper columns. While living in Dublin...

He has a holiday home in Spain where he’d likely have retired to. A country with where abortion is legal no less.

Home to vote seems to be grand when those who are coming back are likely to be on your side.

except my post wasnt directed at the legality or otherwise of their vote. It was directed at your condescending dismissal of their reasons for doing so.

If you’ve been out of the country for 18 months or less you’re entitled to a vote. I don’t see why there’s such a kafuffle about it. For every Home to vote yes page there was a home to vote no page to match.

Only of they genuinely intended to resettle in Ireland within 18 months. Just because it's hard if not impossible to police the rules doesn't mean that people should take advantage.

Home to vote Yes or no, I couldn't care less. If you were not entitled to vote then they shouldn't. It's that simple.

Whataboutery doesn't cut it.

except my post wasnt directed at the legality or otherwise of their vote. It was directed at your condescending dismissal of their reasons for doing so.

What were the reasons for coming back then? Just a selfish desire to be part of something, regardless of the rules.

Only of they genuinely intended to resettle in Ireland within 18 months. Just because it's hard if not impossible to police the rules doesn't mean that people should take advantage.

Home to vote Yes or no, I couldn't care less. If you were not entitled to vote then they shouldn't. It's that simple.

Whataboutery doesn't cut it.

But they were entitled to vote? I can’t imagine anyone making the journey on the off chance of getting to vote.

I know when I was abroad I didn’t know whether I’d be staying put or moving back to Ireland at the end of my visa, I’m sure lots are of a similar mindset. And I know I’d have come back to vote.

What were the reasons for coming back then? Just a selfish desire to be part of something, regardless of the rules.

I love how you think you know how thousands of other people feel. Perhaps you should use your psychic powers for the betterment of mankind?

I love how you think you know how thousands of other people feel. Perhaps you should use your psychic powers for the betterment of mankind?

Well why did they vote?
    They wanted to be part of it
    They knew it was against the rules

So they were willing to endanger the result (had it been close) for their own gratification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Well why did they vote?

So they were willing to endanger the result (had it been close) for their own gratification

Did they want to be a part of it or did they want the women of their country not be forced onto planes and ferries to have an abortion elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well why did they vote?

If it was against the rules they wouldn't have been on the electoral register and thus would have been ineligible to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

Does anyone wonder if Mary Lou and the Shinners put themselves behind the Yes campaign in order to dangle abortion rights in front of women in the North. They might get more support for a united Ireland if they were offering more than the DUP/Unionists are willing to give.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    If it was against the rules they wouldn't have been on the electoral register and thus would have been ineligible to vote.

Seriously?

They were on the register from a time when they used to live here but their eligibility has lapsed. My brother is still on the register and he emigrated 15 years ago. He is not eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I came back and voted because I have 2 daughters who live in Ireland and I want them to have the freedom to make thier own choices should any misfortune fall upon them.

Seriously?
    No, I'm actually Jimmy Carr.
    Hah-Haaaaah.

I came back and voted because I have 2 daughters who live in Ireland and I want them to have the freedom to make thier own choices should any misfortune fall upon them.

Illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Lots of emigrants received voting cards even though the 18 month time limit had lapsed. Any of those who went ahead and voted, did so illegally.

They were on the register from a time when they used to live here but their eligibility has lapsed. My brother is still on the register and he emigrated 15 years ago. He is not eligible.
    I hope you reported him for electoral fraud so.
    If he is ineligible he should have informed the relevant council

The whack of sour grapes on this thread from some posters is ridiculous.

Illegally.

So sue me.

• Advertisement

I hope you reported him for electoral fraud so.
    If he is ineligible he should have informed the relevant council

How is it electoral fraud if he didn't vote?

The notion from some that anyone who voted No has now got no right to an opinion is ludicrous. We lost this referendum, we didn't lose our right to free speech.

So sue me.

You're not worth the bother.

Well why did they vote?

I already responded to this and you replied quoting it so i dont see how you are confused

How is it electoral fraud if he didn't vote?
    He's still listed as on the register.
    If he's not eligible to vote he should have informed the council.

Zing.

Seriously, put down the phone, your desperation is showing

• Advertisement

He's still listed as on the register.
    If he's not eligible to vote he should have informed the council.

I presume there's lots of people still on the register who don't even know they're still listed. Are they behaving illegally as well?

So why are you so upset then? :pac:

Zing.

Seriously, put down the phone, your desperation is showing

What desperation?

The people posting about the questionable eligibility of some people coming home to vote, no matter how noble their intentions, are correct in what they are saying.

Thankfully, the yes result was empathetic or it could have created a sticky situation if we were looking at a result like the divorce referendum. Between this and the marriage equality referendum, I think we need to reform the electoral process and look at maybe giving a postal vote for ex-pats who want to be involved in voting in the country of their birth.

The notion from some that anyone who voted No has now got no right to an opinion is ludicrous. We lost this referendum, we didn't lose our right to free speech.

nobody is stopping you from saying anything. In the same vein there is nothing stopping us mocking the same nonsense that didnt fool the electorate. Your opinions are not precious. They are open to ridicule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement