Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Just to be the awkward one here, he did miss a relatively straight forward free yesterday early on.

Aye but generally speaking when it matters.

His ones of the ground in the AI final are good example. Pressure kicks. They were almost robotic.

I don't worry one jot about it now to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

He's ridiculous, Michael Murphy. Gets to the stage now where if he's given a free etc the umpire may aswell just get the flag up there and then and save himself a bit of time. So reliable it's a joke. Knew in 2007 we had something very special on our hands, never in my wildest dreams did I think he'd be that good. Great role model too for the younger ones.
    I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that Nw, he misses his fair share of frees (that said, those he scores tend to be things of beauty and when the pressure is on he usually delivers). However completely agree with the sentiment. He is an absolute phenomenon of a player, he has it all. Strength, balance, two great feet, vision, attitude, workrate, discipline, desire and as you say, a fantastic role model. We are blessed to have him in our team and it was inspired of Jim to make him captain at just 20 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Looking at these stats; huge room for improvement

See young Clarke from Cavan is away to Boston for the summer. He'll be a massive loss to them. Don't think they are good enough to get to a final anyway but that won't have helped.

SM746 wrote: »
    Looking at these stats; huge room for improvement

Poor from play alright. Colm Anthony had one to forget. McBrearty missed a couple of handy ones too.

Least they know what to practice now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that Nw, he misses his fair share of frees (that said, those he scores tend to be things of beauty and when the pressure is on he usually delivers). However completely agree with the sentiment. He is an absolute phenomenon of a player, he has it all. Strength, balance, two great feet, vision, attitude, workrate, discipline, desire and as you say, a fantastic role model. We are blessed to have him in our team and it was inspired of Jim to make him captain at just 20 years of age.

I remember watching his first full championship start (I know he played against Leitrim, but I missed that one and I think he may have come on that day as a sub) against Westmeath in the qualifiers in Mullingar and coming back to Donegal Town and telling everyone we had just found a lad who had the potential to be better than Tony Boyle, and me being laughed out of it by those who hadn`t seen him. We`re bleesed to have such a talent, and a gentleman to boot.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Fair enough, I agree we weren't really up to the Armagh challenge. I just don't know how good Mickey Harte is tactically any more. If you gave me a choice of facing a fully fit Monaghan or Tyrone I'd pick Tyrone as I just don't think we match up well against Monaghan. Sure, the thought of revenge is great and all, but I'm not wishing for that chance.

I`m not that sure we would be better with Tyrone. I`d imagine the lads would be chomping at the bit to get at Monaghan, and if the Mc Manus injury is as bad as they are making it out to be, (although i wouldn`t trust them to tell me the time) that would help. Beating them might not help with our chances further on with injuries being a problem.
    Not for nothing is a late tackle in Monaghan known as being hit the following day:)

charlie14 wrote: »
    I remember watching his first full championship start (I know he played against Leitrim, but I missed that one and I think he may have come on that day as a sub) against Westmeath in the qualifiers in Mullingar and coming back to Donegal Town and telling everyone we had just found a lad who had the potential to be better than Tony Boyle, and me being laughed out of it by those who hadn`t seen him. We`re bleesed to have such a talent, and a gentleman to boot.

That is word for word what we were saying coming back from Carrick. Were you in our car !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I`m not that sure we would be better with Tyrone.

We'll leave it for if and when it happens, but I'd like to know why people fear Tyrone.

They couldn't beat us last year when were a shadow of our former selves. Mickey Harte's use of Sean Cavanagh and Niall Morgan was very poor. They should have lost to Down at home this year and finished behind Derry in the League. Their defence is crap and their midfield isn't great either. Great players like Dooher, Jordan, Ricey, McGuigan, McGinley, Mulligan, Canavan are gone forever. The McMahon's, O'Neill and Gormley are on the wane. The conveyor belt of talent is over-hyped and the starting 15 is very unsettlled.

Anyway, I'll say no more until the pairings for the Ulster Final are confirmed. Don't want to be getting ahead of ourselves.

That is word for word what we were saying coming back from Carrick. Were you in our car !

I was the quiet wee fella sitting in the middle on the handbrake. That Ford Anglia is older than Chrisy Toye. It`ll never make it to Clones. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

He started against Leitrim. Scored a brilliant goal with his first touch of the ball.

PS Im a little concerned about all the talk about who we "will" play in the Ulster final(which Ive engaged in myself).
    There will be plenty of time for that if and when we win our semi. Lets watch Antrim and Fermanagh this week and stick to our next match.

We'll leave it for if and when it happens, but I'd like to know why people fear Tyrone.

They couldn't beat us last year when were a shadow of our former selves. Mickey Harte's use of Sean Cavanagh and Niall Morgan was very poor. They should have lost to Down at home this year and finished behind Derry in the League. Their defence is crap and their midfield isn't great either. Great players like Dooher, Jordan, Ricey, McGuigan, McGinley, Mulligan, Canavan are gone forever. The McMahon's, O'Neill and Gormley are on the wane. The conveyor belt of talent is over-hyped and the starting 15 is very unsettlled.

Anyway, I'll say no more until the pairings for the Ulster Final are confirmed. Don't want to be getting ahead of ourselves.
    Sorry just read this-agree with you on last part.
    Re tyrone:they have plenty of good footballers albeit nothing like the golden generation and they certainly looked alot better against Monaghan and Mayo last year than us. I just think they can be dangerous against anyone on their day.

Can someone post up the group of teams we would be liable to meet in the back door. We're A aren't we?

Can someone post up the group of teams we would be liable to meet in the back door. We're A aren't we?

It was posted by RSF here

It was posted by RSF here

Good man thanks.

IF we win Ulster we draw from B I think, is that right? In the quarters I mean.

IF we win Ulster we draw from B I think, is that right? In the quarters I mean.

I don't think so, I think the quarter finals are an open draw (except the provincial winner can't meet the team they beat in the final) - I think these groups are only up to (and including) the last qualifier round.

I don't think so, I think the quarter finals are an open draw (except the provincial winner can't meet the team they beat in the final) - I think these groups are only up to (and including) the last qualifier round.

Oh? For some reason I had it in my head that it was Munster/Connacht from the two round 4 'A' qualifiers and then Ulster/Leinster from the two round 4 'B' qualifiers.

Oh? For some reason I had it in my head that it was Munster/Connacht from the two round 4 'A' qualifiers and then Ulster/Leinster from the two round 4 'B' qualifiers.

Actually it looks like you're right Nw - found the fixtures on the GAA site which confirms what you are saying. So it also means the Ulster champions would be out a week later than the usual bank holiday quarter final weekend (along with the Leinster champions) - in case anyone is planning holidays for that weekend! :)

Date TBC - Saturday August 2nd/Monday August 4th, 2014
    GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2014 Quarter Final A
    TBC
    Provincial Winner (Connacht, Munster)vs.Round 4A Winner
    TBC
    More info

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2014 Quarter Final A
    TBC
    Provincial Winner (Connacht, Munster)vs.Round 4A Winner
    TBC
    More info

Saturday August 9th, 2014
    GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2014 Quarter Final B
    TBC
    Provincial Winner (Leinster, Ulster)vs.Round 4B Winner
    TBC
    More info

GAA Football All Ireland Senior Championship 2014 Quarter Final B
    TBC
    Provincial Winner (Leinster, Ulster)vs.Round 4B

Yes, had meant to post all that earlier but never got around to it.My bad:cool:

So if we get to the Ulster Final and lose it we re out on the bank holiday saturday against one of Group B: Tyrone, Down, Armagh, Cavan, Monaghan, Clare, Waterford, Kerry, Leitrim, Roscommon, Mayo, Westmeath, Louth, Kildare, Carlow, Meath. Unlikely to be Kerry or Mayo. Could be whoever loses out of Tyrone/Monaghan. Ironically we might get to play both of them in the end! If we'd lost on Sunday and won 3 qualifiers we would have played Connaught or Munsster beaten finalists. Not sure which is the easiest route to qf(hopefully we ll be there as prov champs;))

harpsman wrote: »
    Lets watch Antrim and Fermanagh this week and stick to our next match.

It's not on TV!
    harpsman wrote:
    Re tyrone:they have plenty of good footballers albeit nothing like the golden generation and they certainly looked alot better against Monaghan and Mayo last year than us.

Please. We weren't at the races last year. And still we beat Tyrone!
    harpsman wrote:
    I just think they can be dangerous against anyone on their day.

Fully agree!

• Advertisement

It's not on TV!

Please. We weren't at the races last year. And still we beat Tyrone!

Fully agree!
    Not on beeb? Ithought they might show all ulster matches(apart from sky one).
    By my reading of the draw we ll be playin em before years out so time will tell.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Calculated it myself for the sake of handicapping matches.
    This conversation over?

Not on beeb? Ithought they might show all ulster matches(apart from sky one).
    No, I think they only cover the same matches RTE cover. I had asked one of their presenters about their coverage on Twitter in the aftermath of the Sky deal announcement.

Sometimes they (BBC) show games deferred. Not even any sign of them doing that for Fermanagh v Antrim on Sunday.

Despite my obvious confidence that we will beat whoever wins on Sunday, I'd still like to see the game so I can at least analyse/discuss our opponents beforehand.

In the meantime, here is a quick piece on the BBC. Fermanagh clear favourites.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/gaelic-games/27614655

It seems like a long time ago now, but we owe Fermanagh....

Jeez-sounds like theyre both in some disarray-mind you so were we a week ago!
    Suppose we had a few run ins w Fermanagh in the noughties although we did win in Brewster in 06.
    The scalp I really want is the "Farney" men-would love to rub Dicks gourmand nose in it,but guess I should be careful what I wish for-me might meet em and get a trimmin again.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/gaelic-games/27614655

It seems like a long time ago now, but we owe Fermanagh....

2000, 2001,(ignoring the qualifiers), 2003, 2004.:rolleyes:

Bloody ridiculous. Think Boyle missed a penalty in the earlier one.

10 years ago now since the round 4 in Clones, that has flown by. They beat Armagh in the quarter final then to rub salt in the wound. God bless Mayo eh!

Have we played them in Championship since 2006? Nasty atmosphere that one.

2000, 2001,(ignoring the qualifiers), 2003, 2004.:rolleyes:

Bloody ridiculous. Think Boyle missed a penalty in the earlier one.

10 years ago now since the round 4 in Clones, that has flown by. They beat Armagh in the quarter final then to rub salt in the wound. God bless Mayo eh!

Have we played them in Championship since 2006? Nasty atmosphere that one.
    Re 04-Wonder will McFadden stand on his own for national anthem this time.
    Remember q hostile atmosphere alright in 06. Think James Gallagher and Leon Thompson were our main scorers that day! Heard Leon was on the bench the other day? That true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This conversation over?

Sorry mate, did I miss a question somewhere?

Sorry mate, did I miss a question somewhere?
    No big deal-had just asked were you only using championship games to work out those h/cs cos league results would skew the figures,ie Im sure a much higher % of league games are home wins than championship.
    anyway, not that important.

No big deal-had just asked were you only using championship games to work out those h/cs cos league results would skew the figures,ie Im sure a much higher % of league games are home wins than championship.
    anyway, not that important.

Yeah there's actually very little difference between the two, although the sample size for Championship is a little smaller due to neutral venues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Remember q hostile atmosphere alright in 06. Think James Gallagher and Leon Thompson were our main scorers that day!
    was that the one in brewster where ciaran bonner nailed a guy with a shoulder?

Heard Leon was on the bench the other day? That true?
    yep, was number 26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

It was indeed. I remember that day well. The traffic coming into Enniskillen was chronic. I didn't get into the ground until 15 mins into the game.

It was a pretty nasty atmosphere, I thought Ciaran Bonner was going to be lynched after the tackle. To this day, I'll still argue that it was a fair shoulder, it was yer mans fault for not realising Bonner was behind him!

Yeah there's actually very little difference between the two, although the sample size for Championship is a little smaller due to neutral venues.
    Ok-surprised by that. Thought league would be bout 80% home wins.

Ok-surprised by that. Thought league would be bout 80% home wins.

I didn't do that particular calculation but I believe Ewan McKenna had an article about it a couple of years ago. Off the top of my head it was something like 70% of games won by home teams.

My calculations, unlike those ones, were focussed entirely on sports betting where what's important is how many points home advantage is worth, so when deciding whether to back a team -3 points for example whether the game is on in Letterkenny or Clones is important.

If the Donegal-Derry game was on in Clones rather than Derry the handicap line would/should have moved a point or so towards Donegal, if it was on in McCumhail Park you'd be looking at a 2.5/3 point shift in Donegal's favour.

Certain home advantages would be worth more than others, but in my case I didn't calculate a figure for each team because there weren't enough historical results easily available and at the time GAA betting was fairly small ball for me and not worth the extra effort since the nationwide average would be very representative in most cases.

Intuitively I'd guess the more isolated your ground the bigger your advantage to playing at home so for Donegal it could well be up around 2 full points.

EDIT: I'll see if I can find that article I mentioned for you.

There's some info here:

http://gaa.eircom.ie/experience-speaks/2012/05/23/off-the-fence-too-much-home-comfort-for-dubs

Not the article I was thinking of, but it has home winner in ~60% of league games for that particular year.

Interesting to hear Jim say that last Sunday's performance "wouldn't be good enough to win Ulster" when talking to Des Cahill on Radio One yesterday. The local and national media have gone a wee bit OTT with their analysis of last week's performance. Aspects of it were good, and there were positive signs, but we were helped by a Derry team that played with no huge intensity. In saying that, for a first day out in this year's Championship, it was good enough. I don't think anyone posting on this thread has lost perspective.

In other news, Antrim looked to be running away with things, but Fermanagh got their act together a wee bit and it's 1-10 to 1-05 at half time.

• Advertisement

Who won the minor?

Antrim won the minor game handy.

Final score in the main event - Antrim 2-18 Fermanagh 3-13

So Antrim next. No idea where they will play that - assume it could be Cavan, but Derry and Clones will be in the mix as well I'm sure.

Cavan or Clones have tended to host Ulster Semi-Finals over the past few years.

Antrim won the minor game handy.

Final score in the main event - Antrim 2-18 Fermanagh 3-13

So Antrim next. No idea where they will play that - assume it could be Cavan, but Derry and Clones will be in the mix as well I'm sure.

Cavan or Clones have tended to host Ulster Semi-Finals over the past few years.

I'd have thought Clones would be easier for Antrim?

Wouldn't mind our boys getting a run out in Clones again before a potential final. Cavan would suit me better.

Derry too small.:confused: although i doubt a huge crowd.

Cavan would suit me grand. I don't think the lads need any run out in Clones!

I guess both Donegal and Antrim might get more support next time out after their recent results, so yeah, Derry might be too small, but I doubt it. Sounds like traffic was an issue for lots of people the last day too, although we were fine.

I suppose Tyrone/Monaghan v Cavan/Armagh would definitely be in Clones.

Cavan would suit me grand. I don't think the lads need any run out in Clones!

I guess both Donegal and Antrim might get more support next time out after their recent results, so yeah, Derry might be too small, but I doubt it. Sounds like traffic was an issue for lots of people the last day too, although we were fine.

I suppose Tyrone/Monaghan v Cavan/Armagh would definitely be in Clones.

A run out to cleanse the effect of the last final I meant.

That's a good point re: The other semi being clones. Last year it was those in Clones and us in Breffni wasn't it.

• Advertisement

A run out to cleanse the effect of the last final I meant.

Meh.

That's a good point re: The other semi being clones. Last year it was those in Clones and us in Breffni wasn't it.

Yes, Monaghan v Cavan was in Clones, we played Down in Cavan.

Meh.

Aye, one of those isn't it alright!

Hopefully now both teams do the job. Be nice to be back in Clones for a final.

There's some info here:

http://gaa.eircom.ie/experience-speaks/2012/05/23/off-the-fence-too-much-home-comfort-for-dubs

Not the article I was thinking of, but it has home winner in ~60% of league games for that particular year.
    Good site-wasnt aware of it. Donegal actually have a better record away than home in championship over 20 odd years. Mind you home advantage seems to have a big effect in Munster and Connaught,to a lesser extent.

Aye, one of those isn't it alright!

Hopefully now both teams do the job. Be nice to be back in Clones for a final.
    good win for Antrim today.2-18 an impressive score-should focus minds for the semi. not to be taken for granted afaiac.

yep, was number 26
    Yes. as you said,fairly nasty atmosphere that day for some reason. Was a good win,and we should have beaten Cork in the qf.

Antrim conceded 3-13 to Fermanagh. That should focus the minds a lot more! Good chance for Colm to get back in the groove.

Anyone watch Kilcar this evening? Moycullen were muck, but some good performances for Kilcar, especially young Ryan. Michael Hegarty rolled back the years with a trademark score off the outside of the right. Mark played and looked fit. Hit a very similar score to Michael. Paddy played water boy and wasn't great to be honest. Was caught on camera taking a selfie at one point. Someone needs to take that phone off him.

good win for Antrim today.2-18 an impressive score-should focus minds for the semi. not to be taken for granted afaiac.

They also conceded 3-13.

Spillane raving about a 'great' game of football. High scoring between two fairly poor teams. He's an arse.

They also conceded 3-13.

Spillane raving about a 'great' game of football. High scoring between two fairly poor teams. He's an arse.

I am actually delighted Sky are coming; sick to the teeth of these guys not analysing most games on their merits. Would love to beat Antrim 0-01 to 0-00 with a 69th minute free by Colm. Their analysis then would give me great pleasure.
    2pm throw in; any word on venue yet?

SM746 wrote: »
    I am actually delighted Sky are coming; sick to the teeth of these guys not analysing most games on their merits. Would love to beat Antrim 0-01 to 0-00 with a 69th minute free by Colm. Their analysis then would give me great pleasure.
    2pm throw in; any word on venue yet?

Not yet. Should be today or tomorrow I'd have thought.

I'm going to guess, Breffni.

Clones confirmed as the venue. Would have thought Cavan myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement