Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oisin you probably won't figure it out by yourself. I didn't and I ended up looking at a faq. You do know that the clock leads to 3 areas. Two open up depending on the time shown on the clocks. One opens every minute and the other one opens every 15 minutes I think, can't be sure.

Anyway if you want to know
    wear the gold and silver ring in the clock tower. You should get the sunglasses that if you wear during the Richter boss fight you can see the priest shaft. Only attack the priest during the battle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Popped in Another World in the Megadrive the other night, man, the button presses are so precise and seemingly unconnected to the onscreen action they might as well just made it a QTE based game.
    Flashback was much better!
    Although I do also have a penchant for Fade To Black.

Other PS titles that are forgotten by most but not me are the fun Assault Rigs, a early misfire on the PS by Psygnosis, they also made the rubbish Krazy Ivan.
    The Jumping Flash games are always worth a look, if only to see how 3D platforming could have gone, had Mario 64 not changed the nature of the game, both literally and figuratively.
    Magic Carpet, a PC port that really rocked on the PS, played it for ages, loved erecting massive castles of my own whilst causing volcanoes to erupt and rifts to form beneath my enemies castle.
    They mistakenly tried for a piece of the Wipeout apple with the terrible Hi-Octane, using the magic carpet engine, really bad idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oisin you probably won't figure it out by yourself. I didn't and I ended up looking at a faq. You do know that the clock leads to 3 areas. Two open up depending on the time shown on the clocks. One opens every minute and the other one opens every 15 minutes I think, can't be sure.

Serious?! Well there's my problem! I had one open, but couldn't figure out what the story was with the other. I doubt i'd ever have figured that out myself alright.

And I thought working out that you have to bomb the glass tube in Miridia was bad!
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Popped in Another World in the Megadrive the other night, man, the button presses are so precise and seemingly unconnected to the onscreen action they might as well just made it a QTE based game.
    Flashback was much better!
    Although I do also have a penchant for Fade To Black.

I loved Another World, but you're right about the controls. Very frustrating at times. Luck for me, the trade in copy I got when I was younger had all the level codes written down in the back by the previous owner. I doubt I would have seen many levels without them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I wish i had one of the Super Famicon wii controllers for Super Metroid

pa.112911.3.jpg

Damn Club Nintendo Japan

Why wouldn't get just get one of these:
    http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/x2wii/index_en.php
    and a SNES controller?

Did a quick search on eBay and found lots of those 'Club Nintendo' Snes Wii controllers for sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I've been playing Gotleib Pinball Hall of Fame, €3 in gamestop what a price! It's very nice indeed. 11 classic tables like Black Hole etc. Worth a look.

Master of the Universe

Was cleaning out the spare room and came across a bundle of ps2 games I'd bought a while ago second hand in Gamestop but forgotten about. One of them was Time Crisis 3. 'Excellent!' Whips out the oul tristy Gcon45 to see if it still works.

So I'm blasting away through the game. Forgotten how much I loved it in the arcades (1 & 2 were fantastic too..just the added weaponry in this make it mind blowing fun). Finish the stage 1 boss..all pumped up for stage 2...nothing loads.

Take the disc out and flip it over. It has been through a resurfacing machine so many times parts of it are transparant. I don't even want to think of the added stresses it had been putting on my ps2 laser.

Damn you Gamestop!!! /Straps on bomber belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Gamestop is a little Alladin's Cave for PS2 games now, nothing is over €12, although I recently bought SOTC for €30 which I thought was steep, but, you don't see that game hanging around like Fifa 09'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

My Gamestop has a few copies of SOTC hanging about, pity the copy of Persona 4 went, damn procrastination :(

Should go in and get 3 while its still there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, they had new copies of Persona 4, but you'll pay for those, plus they have new copies of reissued Konami titles like the Silent Hill series, as well as the Metal Gear Solid games.
    There are a few games I must pick up, I have the last of the WRC games for it, and wonder is it worth my while buying the rest of the series? Or the Colin McCrea titles for that matter, must buy Shox though, I remember that was some fun.
    Also must get the whole Need For Speed series of the PS2, for completists sake, the only one I own is the glorious Hot Pursuit 2, never warmed up to the underground series, but now that it's all so cheap, might be time to plug a few holes, although Need For Speed Prostreet is pretty awful, worst series title since NFS 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Playing Earthworm Jim on Sega CD, I'm on the Heck level. Really like this game, the graphics and animations are brilliant. I just found out today that the game was made first and the cartoon afterward, I thought it was the other way around! : o

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's one of the few instances where the game came before the cartoon.

I take it that means you got that copy of Earthworm Jim finally sent out from the ebay seller who was giving you grief?

Yeah. Took quite awhile to get it, and it was at the stage where I was giving it one more day to arrive, after waiting ages just to pay for it, that I was going to send him a message along the lines of "What the Fack?!" but it turned up eventually.

Was reading up on David Perry, who was head of Shiny Entertainment. Turns out he was from the North! He started making games when he was 16, mad eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Was reading up on David Perry, who was head of Shiny Entertainment. Turns out he was from the North! He started making games when he was 16, mad eh?

Thought that was common knowledge? He started on the good old ZX spectrum and made some absolute crackers for it. He's remaking one of them for a charity and will be released soon I think.

I remember 3 Weeks In Paradise, the last of the Wally games, they made two versions, a standard 48k one and an expanded edition for the new 128k Spectrum, better sounds, more levels and so on.
    Best game he ever made, MDK, man that game was superb, and implemented a sniper rifle before anyone else I think too.

As for the Norn Irn accent, it seems to have vanished 'neath a mid atlantic twang somewhat, although I bet he still can't say situation properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Might get stuck into FFIV this week, I dunno, I'll see.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think MDK is a game I will have to pick it, maybe for the Dreamcast. I remember it being a big deal when it came out and it looked really cool.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, I think MDK is a game I will have to pick it, maybe for the Dreamcast. I remember it being a big deal when it came out and it looked really cool.

I bought it when it came out for the ps1. Didn't think much of it at all!

Thats because the PS1 version was horse ****. The PC was the only way to play it. Looked gorgeous at the time with my High Tech Power VR graphics card :) I think Outlaws got there first with the sniper rifle and some obscure games nobody cared about before that but MDK was very original in how it used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i have Daikatana lying around somewhere :o

Master of the Universe

Thats because the PS1 version was horse ****. The PC was the only way to play it. Looked gorgeous at the time with my High Tech Power VR graphics card :) I think Outlaws got there first with the sniper rifle and some obscure games nobody cared about before that but MDK was very original in how it used it.

Well that's good to know. At the time I thought everyone has just lost their minds.

• Advertisement

I had the PC version and it ran beautifully alright, so many great ideas, and as for the sniper rifle, knocking out those grunts as they danced and did obscene gestures as they thought, unwisely, they were safely out of range, HA, we showed them!
    I do have it on the PS as well, and it's not quite that bad.
    Must pick up the second one at some point..

Giants Citizen Kabuto is another insane videogame, bonkers to an extreme, the soldiers have a british accent, bringing to mind trips to Belfast circa the 1980's and bumping into a squad of Para's on the border!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Thought that was common knowledge? He started on the good old ZX spectrum and made some absolute crackers for it. He's remaking one of them for a charity and will be released soon I think.

I read that the other day, in either retrogamer or gamesTM, can't remember. Part of the OneBigGame project. Though I thought he said he hadn't even decided what game to do yet (mentioned something about a speccy remake though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time, Epic!

Had a Sega CD session, started out with Earthworm Jim, got passed the Heck level. Then stuck on Sol-Feace, got to the 3rd level and couldn't get any further. I know if I sat down for even 20 or 30 minutes on that level I could get past it, bit of a bitch.

Then, the piece de resistance! Road Avenger! I got really far today, further than I did almost 14 years back when I played it as a kid. I really love that game, it's deadly!

avenger was on the saturn aswell if i remb right,japan only release too..

Fred83 wrote: »
    avenger was on the saturn aswell if i remb right,japan only release too..

Just checked it out on YouTube, your right. It was called Road Blaster. It looks a million times better, the animation is bright, clear and smooth. It plays alot quicker too. However, it doesn't have the same music, and that was a big thing with the Sega CD version, especially the opening track...

snatcher was on saturn/psone aswell,it looked really deadly with the color touch ups,shame i dont understand japanese tho :(

Snatcher would make a great DS game I reckon, or would a Wii update suit it better, the risk being they'd put in a whole heap of nasty motion/gesture nonsense.

playing terminator on mega cd,really puts the megadrive version to shame..

Fred83 wrote: »
    playing terminator on mega cd,really puts the megadrive version to shame..

Hoping to get that sometime soon. Had the Mega Drive version, absolute kack.

• Advertisement

The Megadrive version of The Terminator, I remember the pre-release hype going on for months, with magazines of the day packed with nearly an article a month on the animation, the licence, the music, on and on they went, and then when it was finally launched, ahead of any reviews might I add, it turned out to be a pile of donkey droppings.
    I reckon that game was one of my top all time disappointments over my many years of gaming.
    I never fell for the Rise of the Robots hype and PitFighter simply sucked, so no worries there.

The Megadrive version of The Terminator, I remember the pre-release hype going on for months, with magazines of the day packed with nearly an article a month on the animation, the licence, the music, on and on they went, and then when it was finally launched, ahead of any reviews might I add, it turned out to be a pile of donkey droppings.
    I reckon that game was one of my top all time disappointments over my many years of gaming.
    I never fell for the Rise of the Robots hype and PitFighter simply sucked, so no worries there.

+1

As a kid I played it, solely because it was Terminator. Actually what happened was this guy who used to drive around in a Van would rent out videotapes or games to us. I remember getting a good few games from him, but one day he just didn't come back. Wonder what happened, maybe he was caught and doing that kind of stuff was illegal? (Also remember some man would come round with a trailer selling Vegetables..*sigh* the good 'aul days)

Having come back to it years afterwards, I can say it was awful. If they had taken the time to develop a proper shoot 'em up with the brilliant material like the Terminator, the game they could have made would have been class. The last level in particular is ****ing cock and balls. You can't jump over the ****er even though you cleary can make it, and there are no continues....GRRR!

Robocop versus Terminator was so much better.

Master of the Universe

+1

As a kid I played it, solely because it was Terminator. Actually what happened was this guy who used to drive around in a Van would rent out videotapes or games to us. I remember getting a good few games from him, but one day he just didn't come back. Wonder what happened, maybe he was caught and doing that kind of stuff was illegal? (Also remember some man would come round with a trailer selling Vegetables..*sigh* the good 'aul days)

We had a guy out in Bray who did that too. If you were smart you'd get the games on Friday as he wouldn't come back around till Monday.

Dems were the days indeed.
    Having come back to it years afterwards, I can say it was awful. If they had taken the time to develop a proper shoot 'em up with the brilliant material like the Terminator, the game they could have made would have been class. The last level in particular is ****ing cock and balls. You can't jump over the ****er even though you cleary can make it, and there are no continues....GRRR!

Robocop versus Terminator was so much better.

It's a shame they didn't make a proper Terminator game using the Robocop versus Terminator engine. Would have been great!

Just been testing some PS1 games I've gotten over the past few weeks. Mostly playing Tekken 3 though.

brillant game,once again namco pulled out all the stops to give playstation owners value for money,i remember the big hype for it and playing it in the arcades it wowed me..

Yep, super fun. I played it alot as a kid and it brings back some happy memories. Mostly memories of me getting beaten by others but they're still happy memories :)

kinda turblent time wasnt it,i mean the world was waiting for virtua fighter 3 then this came along,the knock out part was tekken 3 was done on the playstation,they coundnt port virtua fighter 3 to the saturn :eek:

It wasn't that they couldn't port Virtua Fighter 3 to the Saturn it's that they didn't bother. Sega cut their losses on the Saturn and cancelled a whole heap of projects. It's a shame because it could have been brilliant considering how much better Virtua Fighter 2 on the saturn was compared to Tekken 2. When VF2 came out though it was already too little too late, Sony already had an arcade perfect port of Tekken 1 and Tekken 2 on the way.

Tekken 3 came out in 1998 when the saturn was officially dead and the last few games like Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon Saga got their release. Hardly turbulent times, the PS1 was the clear winner.

So many of my fave gamer were on the PS, Tekken 3, Metal Gear Solid, Descent, Doom, Colony Wars, F1'97, Colin McCrea, Gran Turismo, Driver, GTA all class.
    Now I know that some were available on other platforms, but the PS was the console to own if you wanted to play all of them.
    Much like the PS2 that followed it, the console was a real "everyman" machine.

• Advertisement

I always thought the PC ports came off poorly. Anything made for the system exclusively was good but coming from playing the games in Hi-def 1024x768 or 1600x1200 and then seeing the 320x240 resolution PS ports was always horrible. That and the controls never translated well. You say you like Descent but it's a whole different game with the mouse.

Master of the Universe

So many of my fave gamer were on the PS, Tekken 3, Metal Gear Solid, Descent, Doom, Colony Wars, F1'97, Colin McCrea, Gran Turismo, Driver, GTA all class.
    Now I know that some were available on other platforms, but the PS was the console to own if you wanted to play all of them.
    Much like the PS2 that followed it, the console was a real "everyman" machine.

I hear ya man. The Playstation really was up there. It's one console I generally go 'meh' when looking for an old game to put on. Have decided to give it proper attention over the last while..and my god. How did I forget some of these games?! I could replay Syndicate Wars alone for years.

It's mad how there was 100000000000000000000's of games for the PS1 and 2, and how there's like 5 for the PS3.

Master of the Universe

It's mad how there was 100000000000000000000's of games for the PS1 and 2, and how there's like 5 for the PS3.

I find it hilarious :pac:

glad i kept my psone games..

Playing a good bit of Earthworm Jim on the SCD. On lvl 6 I think now, it's the underwater one where you are travelling around in a glass sub, ahhh!

• Advertisement

Playing a good bit of Earthworm Jim on the SCD. On lvl 6 I think now, it's the underwater one where you are travelling around in a glass sub, ahhh!

That it's a total ****er of a level. It's impossible unless you know a secret which is just out and out bad level design. Took me weeks to figure it out. I'm pretty sure you are dying at the same submarine section over and over. Well and the section you keep running out of air on there's a long tunnel going diagonally down, when you get to the bottom head backwards into the wall. There's an air refill there. Makes the level a breeze. After that bit I was able to get through the whole game in one go.

Master of the Universe

I'm after heading back out to the folks for Christmas. So dragged a few Neo Geo games I haven't really played on the cab yet out.

Just had my first proper full play through of Blazing Star on an arcade monitor. (Actually managed to wrangle my sister in to a 2 player game...she's pretty damn good at it I must say.)

A CRT television is nice, but my oh my. This is mind blowing. Especially with the close proximity you are to the screen. Couple of levels actually made me dizzy.

Tomorrow is going to be Metal Slug 3 and Sengoku 3. I may be a little anti social this christmas.

Sounds like a nice way to spend Christmas, hoping by this time 2010 I too will have some sort of cab arrangement and can play NeoGeo carts as they should be played.

Played a bit of Luigi's Mansion the other day, testing a piece of software that allows me to play my Jap games again.
    Wow, that game is great and packed full of neat idea's, like Luigi singing the ingame music to himself, making nervous noises in darkened area's, the lovely vacuum effects on cloth covered objects.
    The whole game has a "tangibility", a kind of solid feel that most other titles lack, it doesn't feel like you are controlling a bunch of polygons but that you are guiding a beautiful Luigi figurine about a horror themed dolls house.
    A very nice game indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cough cough splutter. Cough splutter cough cough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Played a bit of Luigi's Mansion the other day, testing a piece of software that allows me to play my Jap games again.
    Wow, that game is great and packed full of neat idea's, like Luigi singing the ingame music to himself, making nervous noises in darkened area's, the lovely vacuum effects on cloth covered objects.
    The whole game has a "tangibility", a kind of solid feel that most other titles lack, it doesn't feel like you are controlling a bunch of polygons but that you are guiding a beautiful Luigi figurine about a horror themed dolls house.
    A very nice game indeed.

I loved it. I think it got slated because people wanted a mario game at launch. It was a really good game despite being a little short.

• Advertisement
Advertisement