Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jaysus going on about coats now. this is a love buzz. and nobody else watching on boards? mcgregor hype has definitely died down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Never seen Conor like this before... this is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

That was ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Very tame. And honesty from both fighters I would say.

Long hair doesn't suit McGregor at all.

Cowboy's jacket and hat were deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I think the world just turned on its axis. Nice that conos has dropped the show stuff. Doesnt even need it anymore.
    Cowboy is one likeable dude but i think conor will steamroll him.
    Also interesting conor mentioned the boxing world title again...zuffa all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

No bull**** in that presser. Both guy's relaxed and showing respect. Makes for a change for a fight involving Conor. Night and day compared to how he carried himself versus Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Mma journalists really are terrible it's the same questions worded differently asked over and over. Lets not even get started on that Schmo fella ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Schmo is actually pretty good if you look past his gimmick... He asks different questions at least and he knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Very interesting to observe Connor during that presser. Why change ? Mental warfare has arguably been a huge part of his success so why would he give that up especially when he constantly talks about being an entertainer and giving the fans what they want.

Is it that he has quit the alcohol and cocaine and this is just him without those substances?

Is he carrying a guilty conscious over recent allegations and this is him desperate to try and win fans back so he can build up publics support again?

I thought he was very fidgety and looked like he wanted to explode when asked about said allegations. I also felt like he was trying way too hard to compliment Cowboy and it almost came of as fake. It just did not seem right at all but maybe aim over thinking it all.

Very hard to know for sure what we are gonna get from him on fight night.

I also wonder will the old Connor come back once he picks up a win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

baalad wrote: »
    Very interesting to observe Connor during that presser. Why change ? Mental warfare has arguably been a huge part of his success so why would he give that up especially when he constantly talks about being an entertainer and giving the fans what they want.

Is it that he has quit the alcohol and cocaine and this is just him without those substances?

Is he carrying a guilty conscious over recent allegations and this is him desperate to try and win fans back so he can build up publics support again?

I thought he was very fidgety and looked like he wanted to explode when asked about said allegations. I also felt like he was trying way too hard to compliment Cowboy and it almost came of as fake. It just did not seem right at all but maybe aim over thinking it all.

Very hard to know for sure what we are gonna get from him on fight night.

I also wonder will the old Connor come back once he picks up a win?

Khabib destroyed him. It’s a bit of humility I think. Roaring and shouting and acting the gobshíte wouldn’t work in the build up to this fight. I prefer this Conor. As entertaining as the other Conor is this is exactly what his image needs right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Khabib destroyed him. It’s a bit of humility I think. Roaring and shouting and acting the gobshíte wouldn’t work in the build up to this fight. I prefer this Conor. As entertaining as the other Conor is this is exactly what his image needs right now.

Clipping the aul fella may have been a turning point

Im not entirely sure that's it tbh. He was arguably just as humbled by Nate but still couldn't stop talking shyte in the build up to the rematch. Nothing changed.

Something feels off to me. He just did not look himself during that presser in my opinion. I think he is feeling the heat/pressure of everything he has done recently and he knows he is losing fans etc so he is forcing this mr nice guy in an attempt to win people back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Something feels off to me. He just did not look himself during that presser in my opinion. I think he is feeling the heat/pressure of everything he has done recently and he knows he is losing fans etc so he is forcing this mr nice guy in an attempt to win people back

Maybe,just maybe he is focused on the fight and not the bull**** he used to do before to promote himself.
    Hes already box office,Cowboy isa sound bloke so maybe McGregor is just focused on the fight and not the circus that usually surrounds it.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Maybe,just maybe he is focused on the fight and not the bull**** he used to do before to promote himself.
    Hes already box office,Cowboy isa sound bloke so maybe McGregor is just focused on the fight and not the circus that usually surrounds it.

Perhaps but do people really believe that? Huge coincidence surely that he waited until he is being investigated for sexual assault to suddenly become mr nice guy?

Do you believe this is the McGregor we would be getting if it wasn't for recent events outside of the octagon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Perhaps but do people really believe that? Huge coincidence surely that he waited until he is being investigated for sexual assault to suddenly become mr nice guy?

Do you believe this is the McGregor we would be getting if it wasn't for recent events outside of the octagon?

Hes not Mr.Nice Guy in my opinion.
    Seems humbled by his defeat from Khabib and also by the allegations against him.
    If they are true or not makes zero difference to me,just seems that hes saw how it looks and is thinking "cop yourself on" and is focusing on fighting.

If he had of bet Khabib and never had these allegations Id reckon hed still be the same with Cowboy,Cowboy doesnt seem like the type of fella anyone could have any beef with...even full retard Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Allegedly, Sure for over 2 years he had a kid in Liverpool that was his double.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don’t know about the rest of you, but after watching that presser I could devour frozen food.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

Conor needs to shave his head and trim that beard.

I loved Cowboy's performance in Police Academy 6

JKmSM9N.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I liked that presser and that version of Conor. Granted he wouldn't have had the accelerated success he experienced if he was that laid back and relaxed from day 1, but he no longer needs to be the brash outspoken entertainer at these events.

Maybe the illusion of insanity really is over now! Zen Conor can stick around for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Cerrone is such a likeable character. I'm glad hes getting this big pay day he deserves it. I wont be disappointed if he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Well that was an unusual McGregor press conference to say the least. I don't think it's a coincidence we're seeing this McGregor right at the time he possibly has some very sensitive legal issues. His opponents have a trump card in any trash talk and he knows it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads the next one to mention courts, legal issues or anything similar is going to find themselves on a longer break from the forum than McGregor from MMA...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interesting poll by JK, Eddie currently winning.

That conference last night was a breath of fresh air and well needed. The Eddie one was gas but lot of forced cringe in there. Would welcome more of the Cowboy ones but mine Conor said, depends on the opponent and situation.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1217636522079350785?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭xtal191

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Mma journalists really are terrible it's the same questions worded differently asked over and over. Lets not even get started on that Schmo fella ffs.

To be fair they cant ask hard hitting questions if they did the UFC will take away their press credentials, its the reason questions are so bad at pressers/media days imo cause they have full control on who they allow in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fans: Conor needs to be more respectful

Conor is respectful to his opponent.

Fans: Boring

Cant win can he.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

xtal191 wrote: »
    To be fair they cant ask hard hitting questions if they did the UFC will take away their press credentials, its the reason questions are so bad at pressers/media days imo cause they have full control on who they allow in.

Standard practice in all big sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

rob316 wrote: »

Cant win can he.

This by a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

rob316 wrote: »

Cant win can he.
    It's just people whinging about him for the sake of it.

People: Did you see him at the presser, went way overboard, so disrespectful, someone should humble him.
    Also the same people: WTF was that? Where's the antics, the aggressiveness, the showboating. This is ****.

MMA fans and "fans" are a fickle bunch.

Also, I'm glad we got the chill version for a change, seems much more himself.
    Then again, if he's off certain - substances - it can have a remarkable effect on your personality and demeanour.
    Nice to hear his normal accent mostly as well instead of that slowed down accent he uses for the Americans.

Advertisement