Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

AidenL wrote: »
    KN are busily installing in Ballyshannon at the moment, they seem to have vans everywhere.

That could still be SIRO. KN has done some of their builds and Ballyshannon is one of the planned areas.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Marlow wrote: »
    That could still be SIRO. KN has done some of their builds and Ballyshannon is one of the planned areas.

/M

I'd be glad to see Siro, and Id switch to them when they arrive. Nicer package, better price also.

I presumed it was Eir who was having the works done when I saw the April live date posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

/M

Eir vans there this evening, so its definitely them it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Will Eir still leave the old copper lines or will the fibre "replace the copper" in terms of physically and also what's on offer from providers?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Will Eir still leave the old copper lines or will the fibre "replace the copper" in terms of physically and also what's on offer from providers?

If you have copper already, they can't remove it.

If you don't have copper, they're not going to install it anymore, where they can avoid it.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If you have copper already, they can't remove it.

If you don't have copper, they're not going to install it anymore, where they can avoid it.

/M

Thanks. So there is copper there, would they stop offering internet over the copper line once the fiber is there?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Thanks. So there is copper there, would they stop offering internet over the copper line once the fiber is there?

Only if there is no capacity. As in all ports allocated.

The copper products are currently cheaper than fibre, so there is still a market for them, if you don't need the speed.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

KN are busily installing in Ballyshannon at the moment, they seem to have vans everywhere.
    Eir vans there this evening, so its definitely them it appears.

I can confirm, that 1800 premises in Ballyshannon will be enabled under the IFN. This is expected to be ready in April 2020 for that area.

It has no impact on premises under the 300k. It's VDSL and ADSL served premises that are being enabled with FTTH now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Eircom seeking approval from Comreg to deploy 10 Gbit/s symmetric-capable XGS-PON FTTH from Jan 2020 on its urban IFN.
    This product offering will mirror the speeds of Eircom’s existing FTTH platform and permit speeds of up to 1 Gb/s. It is planned that this will initially be made available in three “profiles” of 150Mb/s, 300Mb/s and 1Gb/s.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/eircoms-deployment-of-ifn-crd-551-1

IFN Phase 1 launching Jan 2020.

Appendix III of the proposed new NGA Technical Handbook describes the ONT Connection Model for XGS-PON - https://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6309https://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6309

Huawei HN8250Ts XGS-PON bridging type ONT
    10G LAN port 5 is the demarcation point
    Split ratio 1:64 per OLT port
    Existing three GPON “profiles” of 150Mb/s, 300Mb/s and 1Gb/s will be used initially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The Cush wrote: »
    IFN Phase 1 launching Jan 2020.

Appendix III of the proposed new NGA Technical Handbook describes the ONT Connection Model for XGS-PON - https://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6309https://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6309

Huawei HN8250Ts XGS-PON bridging type ONT
    10G LAN port 5 is the demarcation point
    Split ratio 1:64 per OLT port
    Existing three GPON “profiles” of 150Mb/s, 300Mb/s and 1Gb/s will be used initially
    What is the existing system that Eir uses? I think I recall SIRO is 2.5Gb/s split 1:32. Or, have I got that wrong too?

KOR101 wrote: »
    What is the existing system that Eir uses?

GPON 1:32 split

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I take it both the rural FTTH and urban IFN will be the same, both should also be upgradable to beyond 1 gig at the same time too using the same profiles across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gonzo wrote: »
    I take it both the rural FTTH and urban IFN will be the same, both should also be upgradable to beyond 1 gig at the same time too using the same profiles across the board.

Wouldn't say so.

They're going to leave the rural as long as they can after putting it in so relatively recently.

They won't be the same unless they replace existing GPON ONT and OLT card in the exchange, which I assume is highly unlikely based on cost alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I take it that it will be probable it would happen some time in the distant future?

KOR101 wrote: »
    What is the existing system that Eir uses? I think I recall SIRO is 2.5Gb/s split 1:32. Or, have I got that wrong too?

Same for OpenEir and SIRO. And yes: 1:32 split, 2.5Gbit/s down, 1.25Gbit/s up.

SIRO have been testing 10 Gbit/s symmetric on the same infrastructure as their GPON. They can deploy it side by side.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

It does seem messy for EIR to be looking for approval from Jan 2020, unless they have already started that programme with XGS-PON regardsless.

Is the splitting to 1:64 about network distances? Rural distances between OLT and ONU (?) being much greater than urban ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tuxy wrote: »
    I take it that it will be probable it would happen some time in the distant future?

I'd imagine they would. Speeds of more than 1 gig won't be needed for a few more years at least. Hopefully they will upgrade some of the rural routes at the same time as the urban ones, but this is probably a few years away from happening. I've a feeling they would upgrade rural routes beside major towns within 2 or 3km fairly quickly, especially if there is decent uptake and population in the area.

Rural routes far out of town more than 6 or 7km with only a few houses would probably be upgraded at a later date.

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

The update includes approx 21k new lines available in January as part of the IFN

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Showing 21st Jan for me now. Looking at the 300mb offering, what’s the router and install fee and how long to get up and running do you think?

some homes in the Supple Park area of Dunshaughlin also passing for FTTH in time for January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bluehair wrote: »
    Showing 21st Jan for me now. Looking at the 300mb offering, what’s the router and install fee and how long to get up and running do you think?

With no delays you could possible get someone out to you one week from the live date. Prices are different for every provider.

Bluehair wrote: »

Our pricing can be found at http://airwire.ie/ftth

What we typically see, is that once the order is placed and you are past the ready for order date, it takes about 4-5 work days to get an engineer out.

If there are no complications, you will be up and running on that day. I can not speak for other providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anywhere online with a list of place being added, not checking for a particular house/postcode just general areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Varik wrote: »
    Anywhere online with a list of place being added, not checking for a particular house/postcode just general areas.
    be interested in this to see if the home house is on it, as can only get vdsl or virgin. Yet siro is across the road.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    be interested in this to see if the home house is on it, as can only get vdsl or virgin. Yet siro is across the road.

input the homes Eircode into Airwire's online checker and you'll know for sure.

The IFN will replace most of the now VDSL covered premises with FTTH, but it's not going to happen overnight. It will take years.

I doubt OpenEIR will provide a map like with the 300k. So something like the Airwire Eircode checker is probably the nearest you get to checking things. That's updated weekly.

Even the likes of SIRO pulled their maps eventually and only tell you county and city/town/village now + that you can check on eircode.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

input the homes Eircode into Airwire's online checker and you'll know for sure.
    I have been. Be nice to see some sort of a plan. So could advise stick with vm and there annual price changes for x amount then you have some options available.

• Advertisement

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Advertisement