Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Would it be normal for an eircode (new build estate) that was down as FTTH to now show as being VDSL only?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Would it be normal for an eircode (new build estate) that was down as FTTH to now show as being VDSL only?

Only if somebody has made a mess of OpenEIRs database for one or maybe a subset of premises .. which unfortunately is not uncommon. Often it's the case that the eircode has become disassociated with the premise, that has the Eircode record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hi Airwire

Have you any information on the rollout in Clonsilla, Dublin?
    KN ran fibre around the estate here (Portersgate) in mid december.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Airwire

Have you any information on the rollout in Clonsilla, Dublin?
    KN ran fibre around the estate here (Portersgate) in mid december.

Thanks

The only specific information, that we get, is when the premises become available. So your best bet is to keep checking our availability checker.

It gets updated every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The only specific information, that we get, is when the premises become available. So your best bet is to keep checking our availability checker.

Hi Martin.

It would be very interesting to see figures and locations for this rollout. It's a 5 year programme, so it would be great to see where they are currently working.

Hi Martin, is there anyway you can follow up with openeir with me seeing as you at least get a weekly update from them? With no dish allowed, no phone lines built and no ftth in my new build estate I am without broadband and providers don't seem bothered about pushing on it - I don't include airwire in that statement by the way, at the very least you do a great job on here helping people out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    Eircom seeking approval from Comreg to deploy 10 Gbit/s symmetric-capable XGS-PON FTTH from Jan 2020 on its urban IFN.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/eircoms-deployment-of-ifn-crd-551-1

ComReg approval of Eircom development CRD 551.1

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/comreg-approval-of-eircom-development-crd-551-1

• Advertisement

The way this is being rolled out is a complete joke. All houses on my street are showing as Ftth available and from speaking to neighbours they actually have it installed. For whatever reason I am showing as not available and cannot speak to openeir as they won't talk to the public and the ISPs send an email and just accept an answer of there will be an update at month end.

Its so typical of the way things are done in such a half arsed manner and nobody is actually accountable for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The way this is being rolled out is a complete joke. All houses on my street are showing as Ftth available and from speaking to neighbours they actually have it installed. For whatever reason I am showing as not available and cannot speak to openeir as they won't talk to the public and the ISPs send an email and just accept an answer of there will be an update at month end.

Its so typical of the way things are done in such a half arsed manner and nobody is actually accountable for anything.
    Try a small ISP like the one below. They are more likely to look into your case.

https://www.airwire.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes the large companies don't care as they have so many customers.
    The smaller ones are willing to take the time to sort out individual problems.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Try a small ISP like the one below. They are more likely to look into your case.

https://www.airwire.ie/

Thanks and while I can see the great level of support they offer particularly here on boards I don't think they service my area!

I don't think they service my area!

We offer OpenEIR NGA based products nationwide. Only SIRO and our fixed wireless coverage are limited geographically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greyhill

My area is listed to get FTTH on Jan 22nd and an Eir rep called to the house last Friday evening to let us know. He estimated that if I signed up by yesterday (Monday) that the installation could take place this Friday or next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

greyhill wrote: »
    My area is listed to get FTTH on Jan 22nd and an Eir rep called to the house last Friday evening to let us know. He estimated that if I signed up by yesterday (Monday) that the installation could take place this Friday or next Monday.

Monday the earliest. Orders placed with OpenEir today are scheduled for Friday. (4 workdays turnaround is minimum)

And providers can only place the order on the 22nd

/M

IFN Phase 1 launching Jan 2020.

Huawei HN8250Ts XGS-PON bridging type ONT
    10G LAN port 5 is the demarcation point
    Split ratio 1:64 per OLT port
    Existing three GPON “profiles” of 150Mb/s, 300Mb/s and 1Gb/s will be used initially

Latest release of open-eir's NGA Technical Handbook v.22, Appendix III - IFN Phase 1 ONT Connection Model, page 79

Huawei HN8250Ts XGS-PON bridging type ONT

Huawei-HN8250-Ts-XGS-PON-bridging-type-ONT.jpg

Huawei-HN8250-Ts-XGS-PON-bridging-type-ONT1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

So, am I getting my following maths correct? Existing FTTH is 16:1 ratio on a 1gb link, so minimum speed is 62.5mb/s. The new setup is 10gb split at 64:1, so, 156.25mb/s... those are minimums, as in everyone subscribed to the servers and going balls to the wall downloading everything, right? Or have I got a decimal place (or speed) wrong somehwere?

• Advertisement

lotas wrote: »
    So, am I getting my following maths correct? Existing FTTH is 16:1 ratio on a 1gb link,
    Existing GPON split is up to 1:32

Existing GPON split is up to 1:32

Ok, so that brings minimum available speed on existing to around 32mb/s... (31.25mb/s to be correct)... is it only 1gb that is split, cause i have seen some GPON gear (Ubiquiti UFiber [https://www.ui.com/ufiber/ufiber-olt/]) are 2.5gb/s down, 1.25gb/s up split between the end points... any idea what open eir split? same with the XSGPON... what is that splitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think I remember someone saying that although 32:1 was possible that Open Eir actually use 31:1.
    I could be completely wrong on that as the post was long ago and I can't really remember the details.

All public GPON services will be split, won't they? A line going from the exchange to every house would be insane.

tuxy wrote: »
    I think I remember someone saying that although 32:1 was possible that Open Eir actually use 31:1.

Ed E mentioned the 1:31 split previously with the 32nd for test purposes. I was browsing thru an open-eir doc yesterday and they mention 1:32.

tuxy wrote: »
    All public GPON services will be split, won't they? A line going from the exchange to every house would be insane.

Insane, not sure... possible... not sure either... but the link between the cab and the exchange could be higher than 1Gb/2.5Gb/10Gb... 25/50/100 and even 400gb optics are in the market, and if you got, say, 100gb to the cab and then split that 64 ways to houses, that would be 125mb/s minimum with 10gb very possible... 400gb to the cab allows 500mb/s minimum and again, 10gb easily possible... with a LOT less possibiliy for congestion. and those numbers dont account for DWDM options either...

Yes, 1gb is not really needed in houses at the moment, and 10gb definatly wont be required for a while, but think of the possibilites that would afford...

Insane, not sure... possible... not sure either... but the link between the cab and the exchange could be higher than 1Gb/2.5Gb/10Gb... 25/50/100 and even 400gb optics are in the market, and if you got, say, 100gb to the cab and then split that 64 ways to houses, that would be 125mb/s minimum with 10gb very possible... 400gb to the cab allows 500mb/s minimum and again, 10gb easily possible... with a LOT less possibiliy for congestion. and those numbers dont account for DWDM options either...

Yes, 1gb is not really needed in houses at the moment, and 10gb definatly wont be required for a while, but think of the possibilites that would afford...

You are mixing and matching here.

- cabinets have nothing to do with FTTH. They are for VDSL (FTTC) only.
    - FTTH is passive and fed from the exchange. All the way.
    - 32 premises per cluster on the rural 300k on GPON with 2.5 Gbit/s down, 1.25 Gbit/s results in approx 80 Mbit/s per premise uncontended.
    - 64 premises per cluster on the urban IFN on XGS-PON with 10 Gbit/s down, 10 Gbit/s up results in approx 160 Mbit/s per premise uncontented.

So in theory, 150 Mbit/s circuits on the IFN (which is what the majority of people order) are uncontended ... but that's only on the last mile. Upstream from the exchange also plays in.

At the end of the day, it is a residential product and with the pricing it is sold at, no provider will give you FTTH speeds uncontended. It would be making them a loss.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    - cabinets have nothing to do with FTTH. They are for VDSL (FTTC) only.

When i said cabnet, i was talking about the underground vault at the top of the road...
    FTTH is passive and fed from the exchange. All the way.
    if the fiber from my house goes all the way to the exchange uncontended, then, in theory, some provider *could* take that link and bring it all the way to a datacenter with no contention and a larger fee, right?

if the fiber from my house goes all the way to the exchange uncontended, then, in theory, some provider *could* take that link and bring it all the way to a datacenter with no contention and a larger fee, right?

Correct. And with SIRO that is possible, for a premium. However with OpenEir that will never happen, because it would compete with their NGN products.

So they won't entertain that, even if a provider asks.

/M

Correct. And with SIRO that is possible, for a premium. However with OpenEir that will never happen, because it would compete with their NGN products.

So they won't entertain that, even if a provider asks.

/M

Wonder what the AirWire lads do... They have a Layer 2 option over FTTH... was asking questions about it, but cant remember off hand what the contention was... need to go digging (also, its not cheap... and there was no transit by default...)

• Advertisement

Wonder what the AirWire lads do... They have a Layer 2 option over FTTH... was asking questions about it, but cant remember off hand what the contention was... need to go digging (also, its not cheap... and there was no transit by default...)

Our layer2 product on FTTH also has contention specified. Due to the nature of how OpenEIR build their network, there is no way we can do this uncontended. On top of that, all FTTH profiles are asymetric on OpenEIR.

On the other hand, the pricing is a lot more affordable than our NGN based layer2 products.

Advertisement