Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The interview with Adrian Wreckler is a bit confusing. Lennon does talk about taking on VM, but she repeatedly describes the urban project as urban suburban. The suburbs seem to be where they have started.

The management company AGM is coming up soon, I'll ask whether any of their properties have been approached by SIRO or EIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Lots of apartment blocks such as three story ones are virtually impossible to service. Ducting comes up to a riser in hall then it's cat5 to the apartments. It would be possible to install everyone's gpon in the riser and plug cat5 cable to apartments into gpon but management company would have to leave an array of power sockets in risers and securely lock it.

It's incredible that we didn't put in some kind of legal requirements for neutral ducting for this kind of thing in apartment buildings. It's not like FTTH and other technologies were some kind of unexpected mystery.

Praetorian wrote: »
    I was unsure this rural roll-out was really happening but I was just able to put in an order yesterday for two of our remote workers for upgrades to 300m/bit connections.

Delighted as one of the connections was less than 20m/bit and routinely failed several times a year requiring an engineer call out. The other connection was running at 30m/bit but was admittedly very reliable. What I don't understand is why Eir don't do mail shots or door to door calls to these areas once the roll-out is completed? They would definitely make lots of sales! I only knew because I routinely check the line checkers on the siro site and eir site.

Agreed! Their marketing of this is very sporadic and confusing, which is surprising given they've put so much effort into branding and high profile ads etc.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Xertz wrote: »
    It's incredible that we didn't put in some kind of legal requirements for neutral ducting for this kind of thing in apartment buildings. It's not like FTTH and other technologies were some kind of unexpected mystery.

Part of the blame has to go to the relentless marketing of wireless technologies as "better than fibre". I know otherwise IT-savvy people who built houses with no Ethernet cabling because "wireless is the future" - a future that quickly became a misery of trying to connect wirelessly through hollowcore floors and foil-backed plasterboard.

I have to say the French have the right idea on this. The building and wiring regulations require at least basic ethernet wiring to each major room and there's a lot of use of ducts.

I don't know why we can't just use the same wiring systems as they do on the continent i.e. they put in flexible duct, that looks a bit like washing machine drain hose. That runs to all the fittings and you can just push whatever you like through it. You've flat plates on the wall (which can be papered over or painted to blend in) where there's a tight turn or complicated junction. It makes things like updating network wiring or pushing in fibres extremely easy and you can even rewire your house (the 230V wiring) without any major fuss in most buildings that aren't older than the 1970s.

Ireland and Britain seem to be fixated on burying things in plaster without any thought for how you'd upgrade them further down the line. Cheap to install, with no long term plan at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

Cheap to install

you just hit the nail on the head there...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Lots of apartment blocks such as three story ones are virtually impossible to service. Ducting comes up to a riser in hall then it's cat5 to the apartments. It would be possible to install everyone's gpon in the riser and plug cat5 cable to apartments into gpon but management company would have to leave an array of power sockets in risers and securely lock it.

If the cat5 goes from each apartment back to a central comms room in the basement, any reason why the gpon's can't be installed there? Sounds like it would be very straight forward.

Anyone know if SIRO or Eir are doing this? Asking as my building is like this.
    Marlow wrote: »
    Apartment blocks and connecting them up is often entirely down to the management company or owners and their willingness to let other providers in.

If they cooperate, there is no problem getting the connectivity in. The providers will do it.

Yep, a few years ago, thanks to help from folks here on boards, I managed to get UPC/Virgin into my building. It took a few years of back and forth, but it was well worth it.

Just to say it can be done. Don't leve the managment agency give you the run around. Attend the AGM's, maybe even think of becoming a director of you management company, they can't ignore you then.

In my building we have had residents join the board just to get a particular project done and then leave after again.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bk wrote: »
    If the cat5 goes from each apartment back to a central comms room in the basement, any reason why the gpon's can't be installed there? Sounds like it would be very straight forward.

If you look at it from the retail provider's perspective, an ONT in the basement is far from ideal. Part of troubleshooting FTTH problems involves checking the lights on the ONT.

You also get into a situation where management companies are hard to track down and if you've a cabinet located in a basement you can't get access to it and you've then got issues with regulatory breeches for repair times.

Active equipment really needs to go in cabinets outside. But, I'd suspect you're going to find a lot of apartment buildings get externally wired. It's just a pain in the rear if it's a high insulation building and you've got to get access through walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Have noticed lots of spray paint on eir manholes around the Clondalkin Village area the last week or so, hopefully something to do with FTTH. Would be nice to have a competitor to VM and their annual price hikes. Best we can get is 7mb off eir at the moment, so VM have a captive customer base pretty much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You also get into a situation where management companies are hard to track down and if you've a cabinet located in a basement you can't get access to it and you've then got issues with regulatory breeches for repair times.

Active equipment really needs to go in cabinets outside. But, I'd suspect you're going to find a lot of apartment buildings get externally wired. It's just a pain in the rear if it's a high insulation building and you've got to get access through walls etc.

Already have issues with management companies caretakers tend to work multiple sites and can't be out unless you can give him a couple of hours notice for something your only after finding out about right there and then.
    Thing is gpons connections don't require switching and patching on a regular basis once it's plugged in it should reasonably stay plugged in indefinitely. Unlike copper connections where somebody will take a free line off a pair and redirect to another leaving vacant pairs.
    If management companies left wall space with apartment numbers and a power sockets for each every apartment could have it installed down there with no noticeable change to the apartment building otherwise it's as you said drilling and scaling the external walls and it'll be done by someone different almost every install so there will be no uniformity about the visible external wiring.
    There is a project being trialled for apartment blocks but I don't know enough to know what's involved or how they do it. Maybe the DSLAM approach

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My apartment building already has a DSLAM in the comms room, ADSL2+ Smart Telecom/Digiweb. Been running fine for 10+ years and they never seemed to have any issues getting access etc.

I don’t see why a bunch of gpons would be more complicated then a dslam in the same room.

While it might be very slightly more trouble for maintenance, it would be vastly cheaper and easier then what UPC has to do to get their coax into each apartment. A new node/box outside, multiple splitters in the basement, up the risers and then they needed to drill through the risers into the kitchen of each apartment under the fitted kitchen shelves! Ouch, I’m very grateful that they did it, but definitely lots of hard work for them.

With cat5 and a comms room, it seems mad to me not to just reuse it. How does Iliad do apartment buildings in Paris?

I don't know about Iliad but Orange gets agreement with the building council and then they put in fibre to each unit. Some of it was subsidised by the state. In a lot of older buildings it's just done on the surfaces of stairwells in my experience - similar to the way Telecom Éireann used to clip phone lines to internal walls.

The argument made is that the management council (they're usually not companies in France) allowing them in would greatly enhance the value of the building.

A building without fibre would actually get lower rental uptake / drop the value of the apartments for sale.

A building without fibre would actually get lower rental uptake / drop the value of the apartments for sale.

Absolutely, I made the same argument myself to my management company, when we got UPC in.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Hi All, this is probably a silly question, but is there anyway to find out when particular urban areas are scheduled for urban ftth rollout? Or at least what the next 20 towns referred to are?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hi All, this is probably a silly question, but is there anyway to find out when particular urban areas are scheduled for urban ftth rollout? Or at least what the next 20 towns referred to are?

No.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the only way would be to guess by reports from people in towns where a rollout is taking place, once they confirm that the work is not for Siro or Virgin. Eirs urban rollout here in Dunshaughlin has been very quick, some of the town is already live and lots more areas going live in 3 weeks. I only saw these works start during the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I don't know how long it will be before OpenEir go live with FTTH in my area, but they are currently pulling fibre and moving through the estate fairly quickly.
    On the North side of Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

banie01 wrote: »
    I don't know how long it will be before OpenEir go live with FTTH in my area, but they are currently pulling fibre and moving through the estate fairly quickly.
    On the North side of Limerick City.

based on how they worked in my estate, i would guess 5-6 months... I seen them running cables around August, and the service went "semi live" end of January (they need to add extra cables to get to my house... been told i will get an install date at some stage today...)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

I saw 3 KN guys checking the eircom manholes and making notes on a tablet earlier this week. This was in Castleknock off Auburn AV so I wonder does that mean they are coming this way with FTTH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I saw 3 KN guys checking the eircom manholes and making notes on a tablet earlier this week. This was in Castleknock off Auburn AV so I wonder does that mean they are coming this way with FTTH?

Probably yes. They ran fibre in Clonsilla in December in the estates for Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

On Shanowen Grove, Shanowen Road and Collins Avenue Extention in Santry today I noticed fibre coiled on most eir poles and a few DPs installed. Because I was driving, I was not able to look to see if fibre was connected to any of the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Leaflet in Balbriggan from Eir.

Only offer is 1Gb/s at €55 per month for 24 months. €86 thereafter.

No installation fee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KOR101 wrote: »

No installation fee.

pity that offer wasn't around when I got FTTH, that's a really good price and it's on the website too. https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Waiting for it to be rolled out here in Dublin 3. Any way of knowing a timeframe apart from seeing KN vans in the area with the rolls of fibre?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

KOR101 wrote: »

No installation fee.

That is a tempting price.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Very happy to see Clonakilty urban now available. I am currently with Vodafone but they wouldn't upgrade me, said only offering it to new customers, so I have ordered Eir's 24 month package. Good discount on the 1Gb package and no installation charge. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Is there any update to planned roll out areas of Eirs Urban FTTH? ie. towns listed that are on the map to get it?

I'm in a town-area that was not listed on the provisional schedule they gave, yet i had a KN van outside my house doing survey works which the contractor said was for 'Eirs Urban rollout'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

At last it's available on our new estate in Dublin 18.

Signed up today so serving notice with Virgin who we were getting 220 speed.

Eir's gigabyte broadband is €55 a month for 24 months then €84pm

Add TV for a tenner per month for a year (then €20 a month)

Free home phone
    Free apple TV
    Free amazon prime
    Free kids channels during COVID.

Something about a mobile deal of €9.99 all in too worth eir, will get details once we are connected.

Advertisement