Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

FFS, what a fudge, if it is true. 35% who will measure that? What is a sensitive location? from the trunk to the premises? from the switch to the premises? A separate set of 'not howareye' gear from some central point?

We'll be grand here, with our gear. The guards have the right to follow you, so be careful, if you see any oriental looking guards in your area.

;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ronoc wrote: »
    Yes it would be. Didn't realize they were doing 10gig ONTs?
    Yes the urban installs are XGS-PON hardware. It's the sensible thing to do and means the hardware will not need an upgrade for a very long time.
    The ONT is gigantic with loads of unneeded ports but as someone else said I think it's all Huawei has in an XGS-PON consumer grade ONT.
    See post #109 for a better picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

BarryM wrote: »
    FFS, what a fudge, if it is true. 35% who will measure that? What is a sensitive location? from the trunk to the premises? from the switch to the premises? A separate set of 'not howareye' gear from some central point?

We'll be grand here, with our gear. The guards have the right to follow you, so be careful, if you see any oriental looking guards in your area.

;);)

from what i can gather, they are no allowed in the core, and sensitive locations is military bases, government buildings and nuclear plants... as for all the "issues" people have with them, is there any proof of any of this? a lot of this came after that orange gobsh**e got elected, and decided to go on the rampage... i mean, if it was cisco, do you think the NSA dont have deals with them?

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes the urban installs are XGS-PON hardware. It's the sensible thing to do and means the hardware will not need an upgrade for a very long time.
    The ONT is gigantic with loads of unneeded ports but as someone else said I think it's all Huawei has in an XGS-PON consumer grade ONT.
    See post #109 for a better picture.

Mine was installed about 9 months ago. I guess this is the new HW.

Mine was installed about 9 months ago. I guess this is the new HW.

Yes this is the urban FTTH, different hardware. The urban roll-out only just started. Phase 1 of the rural FTTH is complete or just about complete and they won't be working on anymore rural roll-outs for the foreseeable future.
    There's another thread for the rural FTTH.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes this is the urban FTTH, different hardware. The urban roll-out only just started. Phase 1 of the rural FTTH is complete or just about complete and they won't be working on anymore rural roll-outs for the foreseeable future.
    There's another thread for the rural FTTH.

TIL Dublin 18 is rural:pac:

TIL Dublin 18 is rural:pac:

Yup I had no idea the so called rural phase covered some of D18.
    I guess open eir consider it rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

lotas wrote: »
    from what i can gather, they are no allowed in the core, and sensitive locations is military bases, government buildings and nuclear plants... as for all the "issues" people have with them, is there any proof of any of this? a lot of this came after that orange gobsh**e got elected, and decided to go on the rampage... i mean, if it was cisco, do you think the NSA dont have deals with them?

The reality is, NO-ONE KNOWS.

Kit can be loaded with all sorts of shyte remotely, after it has been fitted. How do you think all those installations in all those countries know what is going on, apart altogether from what they installed themselves.

OTOH, they all depend on scanning the traffic, one way or another. No matter how powerful your computing you need to know what you are looking for and who might have it. Burn phones (another chinese speciality) allow all sorts of shysters to avoid being watched.

Interesting discussions going on all over the place about face recognition, for example. The brits have announce that the Met will install a new 'safe, legal' apparatus that will only target baddies, and be wiped regularly, oh yea?

Why do you think there is all that stuff about Mossad kit and the Saudis etc., buying it on the sly? Do you think Mossad gives anybody 'clean' kit?

Ah sure, never mind, those howareye fellas throw great parties.

Carry on regardless, aren't Google and Facebook our friends?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: Can we keep the Huawei/spying stuff out of this thread. Start a new thread about that if you like, but this thread is about the Eir Urben FTTH. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Some areas in new builds are still a part of the t300 rural rollout they will be redesignating them in due course to the IFN (urban)
    Only ifn areas get the new gpon maybe they will replace all the original gpons in time maybe not
    Sky have come out with another new modem for the IFN installs don't know if it's any different from the less than 6month old upgraded model as looks the same from the back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully OpenEir will eventually upgrade the rural FTTH Network to XGS-PON. Shouldn't be that hard to do since all the wiring and fibre is already in place. Of course we are several years away from this being needed, but eventually it will be needed. There will come a time over the next 10 years where GPON up to 1 gig will not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

wonder if they will still split it 64/1 vs the current 16/1 if they upgrade... given the split is already there... would be less messing in the ground and just a upgrade at the exchange level...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lotas wrote: »
    wonder if they will still split it 64/1 vs the current 16/1 if they upgrade... given the split is already there... would be less messing in the ground and just a upgrade at the exchange level...

I think when upgrading from GPON to XGS-PON, the black box's on the poles need replacing as well as the ont/olt/modem units in customers premises.

Many of the exchanges will already be ready by the time the gpon needs upgrading as the IFN is XGS-PON e.g. my local exchange of Dunshaughlin already has this equipment with customers going live as part of the IFN last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jasper1965

Why would the black box on the pole need to be replaced. I thought all components in the black box are passive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Sthey will be redesignating them in due course to the IFN (urban)

Definition for IFN requires 1000 premises in a cluster minimum anyhow.

/M

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think when upgrading from GPON to XGS-PON, the black box's on the poles need replacing as well as the ont/olt/modem units in customers premises.

Many of the exchanges will already be ready by the time the gpon needs upgrading as the IFN is XGS-PON e.g. my local exchange of Dunshaughlin already has this equipment with customers going live as part of the IFN last week.
    Jasper1965 wrote: »
    Why would the black box on the pole need to be replaced. I thought all components in the black box are passive.

No .. the DPs are passive. No replacement needed.

Matter of fact: GPON and XGS-PON can be ran side-by-side on the same fibres, if different wavelengths are used. That's how SIRO have tested and envisioned it.

That being said, OpenEIR could use different DPs for the IFN, as they're running a 1:64 split instead. But they don't have to for the technology.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

AW: On broadband, where are you with your fibre-to-the-home rollout?

CL: On our rural build, we finished up with 340,000 homes passed last summer. We immediately turned that network team to look at our national fibre network.

So we have 28 towns across the country available now, including in some urban and suburban areas.

We'll add another 20 towns by the end of April. So the machine that was hitting 30,000 fibre-to-the-home households is now targeting urban and suburban areas, where we can hit 65,000 to 70,000 homes per quarter.

Our ambition is to bring fibre-to-the-home to 1.4 million homes, which is 84pc of the country. If you then add the National Broadband Plan, that puts Ireland right at the top in terms of broadband connectivity.

Our opportunity now is to take on [Virgin Media] cable. Eir has never had the network to take on cable. But the fibre network is better than the cable network because it's not contended. In the big towns and the cities, we're under-represented today. So this is our opportunity to grow that share.

AW: The National Broadband Plan has been signed and work is under way. It's possible that if Eir had been doing what it is doing today five years ago, there may not have been a need for this NBP.

It's also possible that Eir might even have scooped the extra network contract that you claimed it could do for €1bn in the Oireachtas last year when you arguably put a spanner in the NBP works. Did you miss your chance back then? Was it just the wrong time for Eir in those years?

CL: There are a couple of things there. First of all, Eir is different today. We have a long-term telco investor who absolutely believes in decisions for the long term.

They [parent NJJ] fundamentally believe that the company with the best infrastructure of fixed and mobile will win the day.

So making decisions is quicker and easier. Everything we said we were going to do last year, we have done.

At the same time, when Eir started building fibre to the cabinet, it was post-examinership. It had a certain amount of money and the question at the time was whether we go deep and narrow with fibre to the home, or broad with fibre to the cabinet. I don't know whether that was a wrong decision, but if you look at our recovery post-examinership, you'll see that the recovery was on the back of both wholesale and retail customers coming on to that fibre-to-the-cabinet network.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/were-committed-to-huawei-they-have-been-a-good-supplier-eir-boss-carolan-lennon-38908225.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Interesting and hopefully being owned by a telco as opposed to venture capitalists will make a big difference in terms of their strategies. I guess we'll have to wait and see whether it's all marketing and aspirations or if it actually happens.

I'd suspect the examinership probably did allow them to significantly restructure and refocus though.

Does Iliad / Free actually do its own FTTH in France or other markets? I know they've good products but i'm just wondering if they're actually doing any of the build out themselves, or if they just operate over Orange (France Telecom)'s wholesale access infrastructure like the ISPs here over Open Eir.

The only reason I'm asking is if Iliad is engaged in big fibre rollouts, it might mean certain economies of scale with vendors that would be potentially very beneficial to eir.

Marlow wrote: »
    No .. the DPs are passive. No replacement needed.

Matter of fact: GPON and XGS-PON can be ran side-by-side on the same fibres, if different wavelengths are used. That's how SIRO have tested and envisioned it.

That being said, OpenEIR could use different DPs for the IFN, as they're running a 1:64 split instead. But they don't have to for the technology.

/M

so that makes the potential upgrade from GPON to XGS-PON far easier than I imagined, so really all that's needed is the equipment in the exchange which my local exchange already has and then the ONT/OLT + possibly new modem in customers premises replaced and that's it. If that's all that is required, then i'm fairly certain OpenEir will eventually offer an upgrade past 1gig for the rural network when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

The DPs used in the IFN deployment are white instead of black and much smaller, they look similar to the ones used by Siro except white.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Xertz wrote: »
    Does Iliad / Free actually do its own FTTH in France or other markets? I know they've good products but i'm just wondering if they're actually doing any of the build out themselves, or if they just operate over Orange (France Telecom)'s wholesale access infrastructure like the ISPs here over Open Eir.

The only reason I'm asking is if Iliad is engaged in big fibre rollouts, it might mean certain economies of scale with vendors that would be potentially very beneficial to eir.

Yes, they have their own FTTH network starting since about 2006, mostly in Paris. They pass over 11 million homes across France now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    Last week I saw KN installing ducting in the Castletroy area of Limerick city, the area is already served by SIRO.

An eir ad just popped here on boards "Castletroy Gigabit Fibre has Landed"

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I was unsure this rural roll-out was really happening but I was just able to put in an order yesterday for two of our remote workers for upgrades to 300m/bit connections.

Delighted as one of the connections was less than 20m/bit and routinely failed several times a year requiring an engineer call out. The other connection was running at 30m/bit but was admittedly very reliable. What I don't understand is why Eir don't do mail shots or door to door calls to these areas once the roll-out is completed? They would definitely make lots of sales! I only knew because I routinely check the line checkers on the siro site and eir site.

more premises in Dunshaughlin passing for urban FTTH from March 3rd, several friends who are on 60 and 70 VDSL connections can order FTTH from this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Apologies if I've missed something but I can't seem to find much on this. Do you think providers will be bringing FTTH to existing apartment blocks where VM already exist? I'd imagine it would be a lot of work but potentially a lot of customers in a small area. Dublin 8 here, just found out the fastest BB I can get (excluding VM) is 10Mb!!

gerryR wrote: »
    Apologies if I've missed something but I can't seem to find much on this. Do you think providers will be bringing FTTH to existing apartment blocks where VM already exist? I'd imagine it would be a lot of work but potentially a lot of customers in a small area. Dublin 8 here, just found out the fastest BB I can get (excluding VM) is 10Mb!!

Apartment blocks and connecting them up is often entirely down to the management company or owners and their willingness to let other providers in.

If they cooperate, there is no problem getting the connectivity in. The providers will do it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Thanks for the reply and info, I'll ping the management company an email so and see what their thoughts are on it.
    Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Lots of apartment blocks such as three story ones are virtually impossible to service. Ducting comes up to a riser in hall then it's cat5 to the apartments. It would be possible to install everyone's gpon in the riser and plug cat5 cable to apartments into gpon but management company would have to leave an array of power sockets in risers and securely lock it.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Lots of apartment blocks such as three story ones are virtually impossible to service. Ducting comes up to a riser in hall then it's cat5 to the apartments. It would be possible to install everyone's gpon in the riser and plug cat5 cable to apartments into gpon but management company would have to leave an array of power sockets in risers and securely lock it.

A solution I've seen in some countries is to install a DSLAM in the apartment block and run VDSL to the apartments over the copper wiring. This can give speeds of up to 300Mb/s with 35b.

Unlikely to ever happen in this country, mind.

Advertisement