Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir urban FTTH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Yes, I believe so. The question would be when. As with all eir announcements this is ridiculously optimistic. 1.4 million premises in five years is not achievable in my opinion.

Here's the list of towns:

Thanks for sharing the list. My town is not on the list, unfortunately. I am in a new estate, that hasn't been cabled, and in a FTTC area. Houses behind me were included in the rural FTTH rollout. I am in a "Blue" DCCAE zone.

Any idea where I would stand since they're unlikely to cable the estate with FTTC at this point, I'm guessing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

limktime wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing the list. My town is not on the list, unfortunately. I am in a new estate, that hasn't been cabled, and in a FTTC area. Houses behind me were included in the rural FTTH rollout. I am in a "Blue" DCCAE zone.

Any idea where I would stand since they're unlikely to cable the estate with FTTC at this point, I'm guessing?

You'll likely get FTTH at some unknown point in the future. When that would be I can't tell you I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's also not like all of those "towns" are equal work.
    There's a HUGE difference in scale when you're talking about the towns "Dublin, Co. Dublin", "Cork Co. Cork" vs say "Donegal, Co. Donegal".

Rolling out FTTH across cities would want to be delineated by exchange/suburb or it's fairly meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This was mentioned over on the rural FTTH thread but relevant here, eir's official press release on the urban FTTH rollout and the awarding of the contract to KN Circet
    6th of May 2019: eir has today announced the next step in its €500m fixed network investment programme, agreeing a deal with KN Circet to build the Optical Distribution Network (ODN) for the rollout of high-speed broadband to 1.4 million premises. KN Circet will be responsible for the end-to-end roll-out of the fibre network, including every town in Ireland with more than 1,000 premises; delivering a network capable of speeds up to 10 Gbps. Together with eir’s team, this major project will support up to 1,000 jobs in design and network construction across Ireland.

CEO of eir, Carolan Lennon, said: "I am delighted to partner with KN Circet on the roll-out of eir’s urban FTTH network, as part of our €1 billion capital investment programme over the next five years. KN Circet has been a major partner to eir for over 12 years and in that time, we have developed a close working relationship. It has been a major contractor on the roll-out of eir’s rural FTTH network which by June of this year will have passed over 335,000 premises. With the signing of this agreement, I’m confident that together, we will successfully deliver Ireland’s best urban FTTH network for the benefit of all our customers".

KN Circet's Deputy CEO, Donagh Kelly, commented: "KN Circet has been a leading provider to the telecommunications, transport infrastructure and power sectors in Ireland, the UK and internationally, since 1975". We have worked closely with eir for many years and I’m delighted that we will now partner with them on the urban FTTH roll-out, especially given our recent merger with Circet, France’s leading telecommunications services company, which gives us even greater scope to provide best-in-class services to the telecoms industry in Ireland".

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-agrees-deal-with-KN-Circet-for-next-stage-in-its-500m-fixed-network-investment-programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Has Eir started the urban rollout yet?
    They were blowing fiber in my estate in Galway city couple of weeks ago couple of days before Siro came in blowing fiber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

boardzz wrote: »
    Has Eir started the urban rollout yet?
    They were blowing fiber in my estate in Galway city couple of weeks ago couple of days before Siro came in blowing fiber.

No. There is not even a notion of who is going to deliver their gear yet.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

We're planning a move to a brand new housing estate in Maynooth shortly. The estate across the road from us is also brand new and many of the houses seem to have FTTH as per the rollout map. Is Eir only putting FTTH into new builds at the moment? Do we stand a good chance of getting FTTH also or will they just eventually drop in a VDSL cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

We're planning a move to a brand new housing estate in Maynooth shortly. The estate across the road from us is also brand new and many of the houses seem to have FTTH as per the rollout map. Is Eir only putting FTTH into new builds at the moment? Do we stand a good chance of getting FTTH also or will they just eventually drop in a VDSL cab?

Where did you see the FTTH rollout map? The only one I’ve seen shows the standard Eir Fibre (100Mbps) service - not FTTH - available across most of Maynooth. Don’t know of anyone who has been able to get Fibre To The Home with Eir in Maynooth.

washburn73 wrote: »
    Where did you see the FTTH rollout map? The only one I’ve seen shows the standard Eir Fibre (100Mbps) service - not FTTH - available across most of Maynooth. Don’t know of anyone who has been able to get Fibre To The Home with Eir in Maynooth.

Castlepark on the Dunboyne Road. Some houses have the little FTTH green icon meaning connected, others have the blue planned logo. Makes it look like suburban fibre.

Castlepark on the Dunboyne Road. Some houses have the little FTTH green icon meaning connected, others have the blue planned logo. Makes it look like suburban fibre.

Definitely FTTH. Have just verified Eircodes on Airwire database. Carton Wood seems to be only VDSL. Hoping that Mariavilla gets FTTH rather than crummy DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In the new place I am buying, EIR ADSL broadband is currently available but Eir Fibre hasn't been connected yet - it is probably there, but just not fully switched on. Seems to be an argument between the MC and the developers as to who is responsbile for getting the wires or whatever connected.

Assuming they will sort it out in the relative short term, would I be best to go with Eir or Sky for ADSL broadband and then up the contract to Fibre (of some description) when it is sorted - anyone know if there are issues upgrading to a better speed/plan mid contract with either?

I should have posted here originally but forgot, anyway ducting for fibre spotted yesterday in urban Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath. Confirmed by Gonzo and babi-hrse. It's unlikely that I've found the only town in Ireland where work has begun so keep an eye out for other areas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the work in Dunshaughlin could easily have been mistaken for work on Siro and Virgin as they are currently also in the build stage for past several months. The real giveaway is in the College Park estate where KN and 2 other contractors are their with the signs 'working on behalf of OpenEir' are in place. I had another look today and they are making progress in that estate, only working on the ducting for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

So,I guess as one programme fades out, the other fades in.

And,@gonzo is also reporting...

It's almost overkill what's going on in the town! For the past 4 months KN have been very busy working for both Virgin Media and Siro, works still going on and now the Eir urban FTTH has started too! That will be 3 separate urban fibre rings and 1 rural fibre network radiating from the town.

Maybe that's going to be the pattern. Head to head competition on new rollout areas.

[Gonzo beat me to it]

Eir crew working at Seapoint in Balbriggan yesterday. Spools of fibre on the poles leading to the Fancourt and Hampton Cove part of the town. SIRO has covered most of the town already but hasn't reached this older part of the town. Eir cabs are already there.

I wonder whether the Dunshaughlin work is throughout the whole town or just targeted at areas not yet covered.

Another EIR crew in Balbriggan town on Drogheda street this time near the Garda station. Spool of fibre now on the telephone pole right between two SIRO DPs. Literally one pole away.

Not sure whether this is heading from the cab in a direction where SIRO is not in place.

I imagine eir will go after SIRO areas just like they will go after Virgin areas.

I imagine eir will go after SIRO areas just like they will go after Virgin areas.
    Do you see them going into apartment blocks?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Do you see them going into apartment blocks?

Good question which I'm not entirely sure of the answer to. I guess it would depend on what ducting individual blocks would have in place and their ability to get fibre through those ducts.

Good question which I'm not entirely sure of the answer to. I guess it would depend on what ducting individual blocks would have in place and their ability to get fibre through those ducts.
    And, they have to get past Management Companies who don't want the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

KN have been working away in Drogheda for the past week, and they've been in our estate for the last couple of days.

Got a letter in the door from KN saying they are "installing a new fibre infrastructure service route on behalf of Openeir"

"The work will be carried out by feeding fiber through existing EIR ducts. No new ducting will need to be laid . . ."

"Work will commence from November 2019"

Is this FTTH? And given they are working in my estate at the moment, should I expect this product to be available soon at my address?

KN have been working away in Drogheda for the past week, and they've been in our estate for the last couple of days.

Got a letter in the door from KN saying they are "installing a new fibre infrastructure service route on behalf of Openeir"

"The work will be carried out by feeding fiber through existing EIR ducts. No new ducting will need to be laid . . ."

Is this FTTH? And given they are working in my estate at the moment, should I expect this product to be available soon at my address?

Yes it is FTTH. I'd expect it would be some time in the new year before you can order. They might even send you another letter when it's available though you should regularly check your Eircode here to see availability

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

Can't be 100% sure, but I would guess yes.

Do you already have FTTC? If so, then it is certainly FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

KOR101 wrote: »
    Can't be 100% sure, but I would guess yes.

Do you already have FTTC? If so, then it is certainly FTTH.

I don't know if I have FTTC - line checker just says up to 30mbs is available.

Virgin did our estate a few years ago so I have 300mbs with them, so I'm not exactly in need of faster broadband, but I'd like to be able to avail of sky / eir bundles, or at least have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I don't know if I have FTTC - line checker just says up to 30mbs is available.

Anything above 24 Mbit/s is FTTC/VDSL. And the Airwire checker will only tell you about VDSL/FTTC and FTTH as they do not do any of the old tech copper products.

/M

Some indicative dates for areas in the first phases of the IFN. Note that the dates given are the earliest proposed dates for the first premises going live in these areas. It does not necessarily mean that all premises will be live on these dates.

20/01/2020|01/04/2020
    Balbriggan|Ballinrobe
    Balgriffin|Ballyshannon
    Ballybunion|Ballymote
    Barna|Castleconnell
    Boyle|Cahir
    Cahir|Castleisland
    Carndonagh|Crosshaven
    Carrick-on-Shannon|Cahirciveen
    Castletroy|Crossagalla
    Claremorris|Drogheda
    Clonakilty|Tullyallen
    Collooney|Drogheda AEH
    Coolock|Drogheda Colpe Cross
    Dunshaughlin|Deepforde
    Galway|Dunmanway
    Kilcock|Kinnegad
    Kilkenny|Lucan Ballydowd
    Kilrush|Quaker Rd
    Letterkenny|Sixmilebridge
    Midelton|Templemore
    Moate|Tuam
    Nenagh|
    Portlaoise|
    Rathkeale|
    Ratoath|
    Rochestown|
    Santry|
    Tallaght|

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Quick question re the IFN list - if an area is listed, will Eir be the only ISP that you can sign up with?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Quick question re the IFN list - if an area is listed, will Eir be the only ISP that you can sign up with?

it would have the same providers that the Eir Rural FTTH areas have. It's the exact same service/network.

No. It's an open access network. Most of these companies would sell on it:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

KN are busily installing in Ballyshannon at the moment, they seem to have vans everywhere.

Advertisement