Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir urban FTTH

• 14-01-2019 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I might be jumping the gun here but I'm wondering whether Eir have already started their new urban FTTH rollout.

Drogheda street in Balbriggan has parts of DPs with rolls of fibre attached along it's length. This is definitely the town, not rural .....and new.

I'll post a pic later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

SCRATCH THAT.......it's SIRO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Disqualified for a false start! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

OpenEIR can't start their Urban FTTH project until they have their Rural one completed. So no earlier than July 2019.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIR can't start their Urban FTTH project until they have their Rural one completed. So no earlier than July 2019.

/M

Do we know if this is going to happen, even then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Liamario wrote: »

It has to happen at some stage or else they will lose all customers to SIRO and Virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

KN defusion and Eir were rolling out fibre in ducts Thurles town centre all last week. 8 green eir vans at least parked up throughout the town. Defusion pick ups at the back of Thurles Shopping Centre

KN defusion and Eir were rolling out fibre in ducts Thurles town centre all last week. 8 green eir vans at least parked up throughout the town. Defusion pick ups at the back of Thurles Shopping Centre

Probably connecting up all the rural connection that lead out of the town. Most rural and national roads a few km from the town will be covered and I don't think any are live yet so they have probably fallen behind.

Liamario wrote: »

It has officially been announced. So . if Niel wants it, that is what it is.

Also .. as others said ... Eir are loosing lots of customers due to Virgin expansion and SIRO building. They have to do something.

/M

tuxy wrote: »
    Probably connecting up all the rural connection that lead out of the town. Most rural and national roads a few km from the town will be covered and I don't think any are live yet so they have probably fallen behind.

Rural Thurles went live back in July though the same time as the Borrisoleigh exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

Nothing stopping Eir from reselling SIRO connection

• Advertisement

boardzz wrote: »
    Nothing stopping Eir from reselling SIRO connection

Apart from the fact, that they haven't got the contracts in place to do it. Nor the interest to do it.

Also .. SIRO is not a product, that is resold. SIRO is only last mile. Every providers network behind that is a complete different story.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eir have just gone live on the outskirts of Ballinasloe as part of the rural roll-out.
    I did notice though that as they were running the fibre out to feed the rural, they also came out of the duct and up some poles in a few urban areas and left coils of fibre up on the poles. These are in areas currently served by VDSL.

I'd imagine it's advance work in preparation for the urban roll-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Passing through Cabra in North Dublin this morning and noticed poles marked with D plates which could well be the start of the process there.

Those D plates mean technicians can for H&S reasons only climb by cherrypicker. You see them on poles close to roads/footpaths or in rural places where the poles are old and in poor condition.

Those D plates mean technicians can for H&S reasons only climb by cherrypicker. You see them on poles close to roads/footpaths or in rural places where the poles are old and in poor condition.

It means the pole is Defective and due to be replaced. It is one of the first preparatory steps for the rollout of fibre cable and a large number of D plates in a given area us a good sign that fibre is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Marlow wrote: »

/M

If they don't start their urban rollout soon they'll have lost a hell of a lot of customers to virgin and Siro.

That Cork City rollout of Siro is seriously game changing for Eir.

Also what's stopping from doing both simultaneously? They use contractors for most of their rollouts and would have staff in place in urban areas anyway for FTTC and PSTN.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Also what's stopping from doing both simultaneously? They use contractors for most of their rollouts and would have staff in place in urban areas anyway for FTTC and PSTN.

- Not enough work force ?

They have plenty of problems just keeping the current rural rollout on track.

/M

Kn are still very busy in Thurles blowing fibre throughout the town. On Friar street today. West Gate yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0211/1028809-eir-broadband-investment/
    Eir has announced a further €0.5 billion investment in its fixed broadband network which will see fibre to the home connectivity brought to an additional 1.4 premises around the country.

The move, which will deliver speeds of up to 10Gbps, will take five years to complete.

180 towns and cities will be included in the upgrade, with every town with more than 1,000 premises on the list.

However, while the investment will bring a significant increase in speeds to those who already have Eir based fibre to the cabinet broadband access, it will not deliver fibre connectivity to any premises in rural Ireland that do not have it.

Those homes and businesses will still have to wait for the rollout of the long-awaited government National Broadband Plan (NBP).

The first of the new premises will be connected by Eir around September of this year.

Well, at least it's something. I won't hold my breath though.

I've actually switched to Digiweb to hedge my bets between which comes first to my street, Siro's planned and OpenEir's probably possible too.

• Advertisement

The 10Gbs is a surprise. Do they intend to go for that from the start?

KOR101 wrote: »
    The 10Gbs is a surprise. Do they intend to go for that from the start?

Well, the network would be capable of 10Gbit/s from the start. That's already the case with Siro - trials were done. The technology's very much the same.

To be fair to OpenEir, they've gone for state-of-the-art with FTTC too with good implementation of vectoring and have better speeds than a lot of similar products in countries like the UK and around Europe.

The one thing that's keeping me optimistic about OpenEir's current trajectory is their current CEO is a former head of networks who knows her way around this stuff. It's relatively unusual to have someone who's a techie by background in the driving seat. Usually it's an accountant.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Well, the network would be capable of 10Gbit/s from the start. That's already the case with Siro - trials were done. The technology's very much the same.
    I mean 10Gbs to the consumer. I thought that means a different technoligy at the consumer's house.

GPON supports 10gbit/s and Siro has already trialled it back in 2017 : https://irishtechnews.ie/siro-and-huawei-successfully-trial-10-gigabit-broadband-in-ireland/

At present, there wouldn't be much need for 10gbit/s for domestic users, but when you see the massive increase in bandwidth demands over the past 10-15 years, I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see people looking for it in a few years time.

I mean when you consider not that many years ago a couple of Mbit/s was seen as huge speed.

I mean 10Gbs to the consumer. I thought that means a different technoligy at the consumer's house.

The products of IFN have not been specified yet by OpenEIR.

A couple facts:
    - their current 300k has an upgrade path to 10gig on the same fibre
    - the IFN will be build with 10gig in mind from day one, but that doesn't mean the products are available.
    - the current products on the 300k will also be available on the IFN

Just because the network can deliver up to 10gig doesn't mean it's available to the consumer as a product. It's just, that they are launching with the 10gig platform to start with opposed to the 2.5gig platform.

And .. as you can see, even though GPon does 2.5gig, you can't have a 2.5gig connection now .. can you ?

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

The Cush wrote: »

how do you constitute what's rural?

I am in an amber area of a town in cork, it has over 1,000 premises (I think) but I would be about 2.3km from the central part of the town and just past the coverage area of FTTC.

Am on a road with plenty of houses but not covered by the Eir 300k rollout, do I stand any chance?

BArra wrote: »
    how do you constitute what's rural?

I am in an amber area of a town in cork, it has over 1,000 premises (I think) but I would be about 2.3km from the central part of the town and just past the coverage area of FTTC.

Am on a road with plenty of houses but not covered by the Eir 300k rollout, do I stand any chance?

Yes, I believe so. The question would be when. As with all eir announcements this is ridiculously optimistic. 1.4 million premises in five years is not achievable in my opinion.

Here's the list of towns:

DzHHnneX4AAfVrC.jpg

I imagine that every house that is commercially viable will be reached eventually.
    Although would the fact that they never provided FTTC to that area be a bad sign?

tuxy wrote: »
    I imagine that every house that is commercially viable will be reached eventually.
    Although would the fact that they never provided FTTC to that area be a bad sign?

I don't think so. The poster said they are just outside the FTTC area so with FTTH not having the same distance limitations they should be covered provided they are in one of those towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

I don't think so. The poster said they are just outside the FTTC area so with FTTH not having the same distance limitations they should be covered provided they are in one of those towns.

not a town listed :pac::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭limktime

Yes, I believe so. The question would be when. As with all eir announcements this is ridiculously optimistic. 1.4 million premises in five years is not achievable in my opinion.

Here's the list of towns:

Thanks for sharing the list. My town is not on the list, unfortunately. I am in a new estate, that hasn't been cabled, and in a FTTC area. Houses behind me were included in the rural FTTH rollout. I am in a "Blue" DCCAE zone.

Any idea where I would stand since they're unlikely to cable the estate with FTTC at this point, I'm guessing?

limktime wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing the list. My town is not on the list, unfortunately. I am in a new estate, that hasn't been cabled, and in a FTTC area. Houses behind me were included in the rural FTTH rollout. I am in a "Blue" DCCAE zone.

Any idea where I would stand since they're unlikely to cable the estate with FTTC at this point, I'm guessing?

You'll likely get FTTH at some unknown point in the future. When that would be I can't tell you I'm afraid.

It's also not like all of those "towns" are equal work.
    There's a HUGE difference in scale when you're talking about the towns "Dublin, Co. Dublin", "Cork Co. Cork" vs say "Donegal, Co. Donegal".

Rolling out FTTH across cities would want to be delineated by exchange/suburb or it's fairly meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This was mentioned over on the rural FTTH thread but relevant here, eir's official press release on the urban FTTH rollout and the awarding of the contract to KN Circet
    6th of May 2019: eir has today announced the next step in its €500m fixed network investment programme, agreeing a deal with KN Circet to build the Optical Distribution Network (ODN) for the rollout of high-speed broadband to 1.4 million premises. KN Circet will be responsible for the end-to-end roll-out of the fibre network, including every town in Ireland with more than 1,000 premises; delivering a network capable of speeds up to 10 Gbps. Together with eir’s team, this major project will support up to 1,000 jobs in design and network construction across Ireland.

CEO of eir, Carolan Lennon, said: "I am delighted to partner with KN Circet on the roll-out of eir’s urban FTTH network, as part of our €1 billion capital investment programme over the next five years. KN Circet has been a major partner to eir for over 12 years and in that time, we have developed a close working relationship. It has been a major contractor on the roll-out of eir’s rural FTTH network which by June of this year will have passed over 335,000 premises. With the signing of this agreement, I’m confident that together, we will successfully deliver Ireland’s best urban FTTH network for the benefit of all our customers".

KN Circet's Deputy CEO, Donagh Kelly, commented: "KN Circet has been a leading provider to the telecommunications, transport infrastructure and power sectors in Ireland, the UK and internationally, since 1975". We have worked closely with eir for many years and I’m delighted that we will now partner with them on the urban FTTH roll-out, especially given our recent merger with Circet, France’s leading telecommunications services company, which gives us even greater scope to provide best-in-class services to the telecoms industry in Ireland".

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-agrees-deal-with-KN-Circet-for-next-stage-in-its-500m-fixed-network-investment-programme/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

Has Eir started the urban rollout yet?
    They were blowing fiber in my estate in Galway city couple of weeks ago couple of days before Siro came in blowing fiber.

• Advertisement

boardzz wrote: »
    Has Eir started the urban rollout yet?
    They were blowing fiber in my estate in Galway city couple of weeks ago couple of days before Siro came in blowing fiber.

No. There is not even a notion of who is going to deliver their gear yet.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

We're planning a move to a brand new housing estate in Maynooth shortly. The estate across the road from us is also brand new and many of the houses seem to have FTTH as per the rollout map. Is Eir only putting FTTH into new builds at the moment? Do we stand a good chance of getting FTTH also or will they just eventually drop in a VDSL cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

We're planning a move to a brand new housing estate in Maynooth shortly. The estate across the road from us is also brand new and many of the houses seem to have FTTH as per the rollout map. Is Eir only putting FTTH into new builds at the moment? Do we stand a good chance of getting FTTH also or will they just eventually drop in a VDSL cab?

Where did you see the FTTH rollout map? The only one I’ve seen shows the standard Eir Fibre (100Mbps) service - not FTTH - available across most of Maynooth. Don’t know of anyone who has been able to get Fibre To The Home with Eir in Maynooth.

washburn73 wrote: »
    Where did you see the FTTH rollout map? The only one I’ve seen shows the standard Eir Fibre (100Mbps) service - not FTTH - available across most of Maynooth. Don’t know of anyone who has been able to get Fibre To The Home with Eir in Maynooth.

Castlepark on the Dunboyne Road. Some houses have the little FTTH green icon meaning connected, others have the blue planned logo. Makes it look like suburban fibre.

Castlepark on the Dunboyne Road. Some houses have the little FTTH green icon meaning connected, others have the blue planned logo. Makes it look like suburban fibre.

Definitely FTTH. Have just verified Eircodes on Airwire database. Carton Wood seems to be only VDSL. Hoping that Mariavilla gets FTTH rather than crummy DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In the new place I am buying, EIR ADSL broadband is currently available but Eir Fibre hasn't been connected yet - it is probably there, but just not fully switched on. Seems to be an argument between the MC and the developers as to who is responsbile for getting the wires or whatever connected.

Assuming they will sort it out in the relative short term, would I be best to go with Eir or Sky for ADSL broadband and then up the contract to Fibre (of some description) when it is sorted - anyone know if there are issues upgrading to a better speed/plan mid contract with either?

I should have posted here originally but forgot, anyway ducting for fibre spotted yesterday in urban Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath. Confirmed by Gonzo and babi-hrse. It's unlikely that I've found the only town in Ireland where work has begun so keep an eye out for other areas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the work in Dunshaughlin could easily have been mistaken for work on Siro and Virgin as they are currently also in the build stage for past several months. The real giveaway is in the College Park estate where KN and 2 other contractors are their with the signs 'working on behalf of OpenEir' are in place. I had another look today and they are making progress in that estate, only working on the ducting for now.

So,I guess as one programme fades out, the other fades in.

And,@gonzo is also reporting...

It's almost overkill what's going on in the town! For the past 4 months KN have been very busy working for both Virgin Media and Siro, works still going on and now the Eir urban FTTH has started too! That will be 3 separate urban fibre rings and 1 rural fibre network radiating from the town.

Maybe that's going to be the pattern. Head to head competition on new rollout areas.

[Gonzo beat me to it]

Eir crew working at Seapoint in Balbriggan yesterday. Spools of fibre on the poles leading to the Fancourt and Hampton Cove part of the town. SIRO has covered most of the town already but hasn't reached this older part of the town. Eir cabs are already there.

I wonder whether the Dunshaughlin work is throughout the whole town or just targeted at areas not yet covered.

Another EIR crew in Balbriggan town on Drogheda street this time near the Garda station. Spool of fibre now on the telephone pole right between two SIRO DPs. Literally one pole away.

Not sure whether this is heading from the cab in a direction where SIRO is not in place.

I imagine eir will go after SIRO areas just like they will go after Virgin areas.

I imagine eir will go after SIRO areas just like they will go after Virgin areas.
    Do you see them going into apartment blocks?

Do you see them going into apartment blocks?

Good question which I'm not entirely sure of the answer to. I guess it would depend on what ducting individual blocks would have in place and their ability to get fibre through those ducts.

Good question which I'm not entirely sure of the answer to. I guess it would depend on what ducting individual blocks would have in place and their ability to get fibre through those ducts.
    And, they have to get past Management Companies who don't want the hassle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement