Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'd forgotten you were a Spurs fan.......NOW the Ken Early hate makes sense :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Friday: 7 miles after work - 8.18 pace - legs tired today after Pilates on Thursday - but not as tired as last week.

Saturday: I was in 256 minds if I should do; An Easy run, a hard session, an easy session, a progression, a shorter run with harder stuff...... So I compromised :)

I met AJ (a Cru runner - former MSB, chasing sub3 in Seville) for the 1st part of it.
    We did just over 5m easy and she wanted to do 3m at 6.50 pace - during the run we changed it to 4miles and as the 1st 2 miles were progressively faster - I thought I'd push on a bit to see if we could do the full 4 as a progression. - 6.47 / 6.42 / 6.40 / 6.31

It was harder than I expected - these should be bread and butter at this stage - so I take this as a bit of a wake up call around diet and hydration (pizza and wine the night before).
    We then done 4m easy and we parted company - she was doing another 2m at MP and I went off for a faster few miles.
    I done a 15 min tempo - about 6.15 pace - which is not bad for mile 14-17 in a long run - but I was tiring towards the end - I had thought about extending it to 3 miles but I was fading fast.

3 miles cool down for 18.5 total.

Sunday: I was out Saturday night, so missed the Sunday run with the club - went out later for a few recovery miles on the grass around the Papal cross - lovely underfoot down there.

5.3 at 8.30 pace.

61 miles this week (+ a Treatment on the quad + a Pilates class + a rest day).

11 weeks to Manchester - that's a long time to keep motivated and to ensure I peak at the right time.
    A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking that I was really fit and that I could possibly over train - this week I'm thinking that I'm knackered more and I'm so unfit!! Amazing how things work - no doubt its the cumulative fatigue from the miles, back to work, Pilates class and the treatment this week.
    Next 2 weekends are race weeks.

For Raheny, I plan to only slightly taper - but still run 55 miles or so - still going to do a decent session on Tuesday with a lot of volume.

For John Tracey 10 - I'll use that as a down week - longish run the Monday after Raheny and maybe some short sharp stuff on Wednesday.

Then its 9 weeks to Manchester where I'll follow the Naz Elite plan by Ben Rosario.

So technically, I'm not marathon training yet..........

BTW - was great following Scullion today - absolutely delighted for him. You know your invested when your whole family knows he's running today and they are asking me how he's doing.

Some months back, when he started podcasting, I put up a post here, kinda mocking his slightly arrogant way of speaking - I really regret that now.
    He does put everything out there, he is really honest in an open way and its absolutely brilliant, compulsive listening. My goto podcast when it comes out.
    Top marks to the man today.

Friday:

11 weeks to Manchester - that's a long time to keep motivated and to ensure I peak at the right time.

Yep, that's rattling around my ceann this morning. Scullion was talking about there's nothing more dangerous than a runner who's fit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭jfh

BTW - was great following Scullion today - absolutely delighted for him. You know your invested when your whole family knows he's running today and they are asking me how he's doing.

Some months back, when he started podcasting, I put up a post here, kinda mocking his slightly arrogant way of speaking - I really regret that now.
    He does put everything out there, he is really honest in an open way and its absolutely brilliant, compulsive listening. My goto podcast when it comes out.
    Top marks to the man today.

totally agree, i have been following him since the start & he's compulsive listening, some days he's hard to listen to but one thing that's for sure, he's raw & you find yourself really rooting for him. He's brought a lot a accessibility to a distance running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Will you stick with 'sessions' for the long runs for the whole block? Or will you have stepback weeks where it will be just long runs easy?

I find the longer sessions absolutely fantastic, one that stood out for me last year was a 20 mile but different paces in blocks throughout, similar to the above but a lot slower :pac: It was a real confidence booster coming into the marathon and a great change from the usual LSR pace I was used to.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Will you stick with 'sessions' for the long runs for the whole block? Or will you have stepback weeks where it will be just long runs easy?

I find the longer sessions absolutely fantastic, one that stood out for me last year was a 20 mile but different paces in blocks throughout, similar to the above but a lot slower :pac: It was a real confidence booster coming into the marathon and a great change from the usual LSR pace I was used to.

I was actually scheduled to run a 'vanilla' run last weekend, but as I skipped the midweek session, I threw in a bit of 'stuff'.

The day after Raheny, I'll do an easy 16-18miles (depending on good legs!) and then I think I have 2 'easy' long runs in the plan, the rest will be with 'stuff'.

There's different ways of getting the same result.
    I know that the Crusaders guys have 3 sessions/week and an easy long run.
    Jack Daniels, Tinman Elite and the NAZ Elite team (Ben Rosario) have 'stuff' in most of their long runs - but they do have an easy long run every 3 weeks or so.
    Personally, I love the long runs with Stuff - even the midweek sessions can be 15-16 miles worth of volume!

I was actually scheduled to run a 'vanilla' run last weekend, but as I skipped the midweek session, I threw in a bit of 'stuff'.

The day after Raheny, I'll do an easy 16-18miles (depending on good legs!) and then I think I have 2 'easy' long runs in the plan, the rest will be with 'stuff'.

There's different ways of getting the same result.
    I know that the Crusaders guys have 3 sessions/week and an easy long run.
    Jack Daniels, Tinman Elite and the NAZ Elite team (Ben Rosario) have 'stuff' in most of their long runs - but they do have an easy long run every 3 weeks or so.
    Personally, I love the long runs with Stuff - even the midweek sessions can be 15-16 miles worth of volume!

Yeh, in the same boat as yourself, much prefer the long runs with stuff. I don't know the technicalities (maybe someone can jump in here?) But I'd imagine they are more beneficial than just vanilla runs? Especially for speed endurance that we are looking for, regardless of the actual pace.

Its making the long run more specific to the event by adding faster portions.

There's an old adage attributed to Renato Canova (Kenyan based Italian coach) that if you do all your long runs at a slow pace, then you'll become quite good at running slow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/artc/comments/7vwxq0/renato_canova_on_marathon_preparation_valencia/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Does that apply to someone who's aerobic base is completely lacking though ? For example a first time marthoner who's only been running for a year or so would be better served to run vanilla long runs than runs with stuff (injury risks aside)?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

There's an old adage attributed to Renato Canova (Kenyan based Italian coach) that if you do all your long runs at a slow pace, then you'll become quite good at running slow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/artc/comments/7vwxq0/renato_canova_on_marathon_preparation_valencia/

Careful using Canova.

He has stated numerous times that the idea's he puts forward are based on International athletes (i.e those who have a high aerobic base from years of high mileage) he actually says that amateurs should operate opposite to this (i.e running moderate to low intensity with little modulation) in so far as amateurs need to become efficient at running that slow pace (first atleast)
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Yeh, in the same boat as yourself, much prefer the long runs with stuff. I don't know the technicalities (maybe someone can jump in here?) But I'd imagine they are more beneficial than just vanilla runs? Especially for speed endurance that we are looking for, regardless of the actual pace.

For me standard long runs are essential for most. With many who don't have years of higher mileage under their belt a standard long run is enough of a stimulus in in itself. As we develop long runs get more comfortable and no longer put the same stress stimulus on the body then you need to start looking at other ways to fatigue body and stimulate the right systems.

As a general rule with people I am coaching in terms of stuff in the Long Run (this is only my person views on the matter however)

Beginner/lower aerobic base

- Mostly easy long runs with the odd progression to steady effort
    - light surges (20 sec - 1 min) plenty of recovery just to reset form when fatigued

Moderate Mileage base (experienced runner but lower aerobic base)

- Progression runs and Steady Runs
    - Inclusion of the odd MP paced alteration or reps

High Mileage/ Good base

- Sustained MP runs
    - HM intervals
    - Over Distance Long runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

With reference to the club with 3 sessions and 1 LR - have you dug down to the results? It was always my impression (possibly completely wrong) that many good runners in that club did not observe this schedule (which mainly describes the menu of available club runs). I know of another club where it's possible to do 7 hard runs a week (if you only go out once a day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow A, run well!!

Forgive me father for I have sinned - its been a while since my last confession............

Monday: Went for a run during lunch break at work - down to Corkagh Park and around it - what a lovely place to run. Certainly helped the mojo.
    6.9m @ 7.49 pace

Tuesday: Session - went out with the intention of doing 2x5m at MP'ish - but had not settled on what I'd do even after I started - I just knew I didn't want to run as fast as Tempo pace as Raheny would give me a good 5 mile workout.

Ran down to the zoo as the warm up and then ran up Chesterfield, and back down the North Road - turning in by the triangle and past the Aras.
    Finishing up by Garda HQ/Back side of the Zoo. - a couple of 6.20's in there kept it honest, but a little too fast maybe.

Done the bones of a mile recovery, before starting the next segment - meant to be another 5 mile at MP.
    1st 2 miles were uphill at 6.38 pace, next 2 were at 6.22 pace - again, slightly too fast.

Coming down Chesterfield - I just felt that the effort was too hot for the pace, so I left it at 4 miles for the 2nd rep - still happy enough with the workout, but knowing that I need to more MP longer stuff.

14.5 miles at 7.06 pace - it be interesting to see how Raheny goes after this! Its amazing the number of times you do a shorter workout on race week and wonder if a longer workout would have been just as effective??

Wednesday: 7.8m at 8.10 pace - felt very strong today - one of those runs when you know you are tired, but feel strong enough to get through it. happy with th run.

Thursday: Met KSU today in Corkagh park for a few miles - I was just doing a few to watch the mileage (and I had a meeting to get back to) but truth be knowing, I could have ran with him for 20 miles as the chat was great.

4.7m at 8.09 pace

Friday: from the house down to the park and back - 6.9 miles at 8.18 pace.

Feeling fat, slow and tied all day - really hating race week - the Fridge is my best friend as it keeps calling to me.
    Went out for dinner tonight at 8pm - told 2nd born we'd be home at 9.30 - 10 / met friends in the pub. Ouch.

Saturday: Long Lie in today - brekkie in bed :) too - got up and went for a few miles in the park, put on the new Next % for strides - they are light, but they dont feel as good as the 4% and they slap a lot while running. The min I put on the 4% I felt they were cheat runners - with the next % they feel less so.

4miles with 6x20sec strides.

Sunday: Raheny 5mile

I was a mixed bag over the weekend with this race - part apprehension and part disinterest.
    While this was not the 'main thing' for me - it did offer an opportunity to see how I was v last year (following similar plan) - I do dislike Sunday races butI was distracted enough on Saturday as my MIL is in a Convalescence home recovering from a hip operation, so went to see her on Sat Night. Sunday was a trip to the mother, prior to raheny - but still felt a bit sickly in the tummy thinking about the race.

Got to Raheny, parked illegally on the Church grounds and set about my warm up. As per previous years, went back for my gloves. A chat wiht a few faces from here including Laura - that chat stayed with me during the race and framed my race - done a few strides and lined up about a month behind the starters.

There was a starting gantry this year and mats, so I knew where the start-line was, but I was very far back. There was a lady next to me, who would probably run it in an hour, texting her family, so I knew I wasn't in the right place :(

Gun went off and the first few hundred meters was a $hit show for me - I think the clock was at 17-18 seconds before I crossed it!. A lot of weaving in and out but eventually found a line that offered a good stretch of the legs.
    Found myself running too fast initially, trying to catch up to people who should be behind me. Settled into a groove and felt good. I knew it was going to be a good day.
    Mile 1 clicked by in 5.51

The 2nd mile was more over taking and trying to keep from some of the gusts by hiding behind a couple of big guys.
    I got a bit confused on this mile as my pace increased in certain parts - I was reminded of last years update regarding this being a fast mile - yet it didn't seem that fast. (turned out to be the wrong mile).

Mile 2 beeped at 5.51
    and I got a bit worried that I was slowing down on the fast part of the course.

I then realised that it was mile 3 that was the fast mile and I picked it up slightly - I seen Eddie N ahead and had him in my sights, I came upon him and Jamie at the same time, a quick chat with both and was off in search of the next person - I was racing at this stage - the watch was secondary.

Mile 3 was a quick 5.41.
    The road down to the park is nice - I relaxed a little here, knowing that the 1st bit of the hairpin would be tough, so approached it as such.
    I tucked in behind some lads on th up, but they were going much too slow, so pushed on and felt good.

I turned the hairpin and 4m beeped at 5.47 - I was delighted at that as I felt strong and knew for the 1st time that a PB might be on the cards.
    I kept trying to pass people - pick them out, pass - go again..........make sure time isn't slowing.......& repeat.....

As I got to the end of the park I knew I was in with a good PB chance - DD gave me a shout - quick check of pace on the watch and out of the park we went.

Not long to go now - I felt great, I kept passing people and as we hit the turn I risked another glance at the watch - I could just run it in at this pace and PB or I could push on for a decent PB - I pushed on, passing another 1 or 2 - took the final turn and put on the afterburners - my finish was at 4.5x pace. Last mile was the fastest at 5.37.
    Crossed the line as 29.02 ticked by, but knew I had a lot of seconds in the bag.

Official time of 28.46 for a good 7 second PB from Dunboyne BHAA in 2017.

Delighted with this at this stage. Did the new runners help - well, I was 9 seconds faster this year, but last year, I had ran 4.92m vrs 4.99 this year - so its a bit relative.
    The records will show its a PB as it is a PB!!

Great meeting a lot of Boardsies afterwards - wont name them all for fear of missing some - but a great group of people.

Warm down with Healy having the chats about next weekend and Manchester.

Onwards to John Tracey next week.

54miles or the week.
    Looks like Tuesdays session didn't really have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done A. Sorry I didn't see you to give you a shout as you went by my corner, trying to look for all the faces as well as watching for rogue cars!

Delighted to see the PB - and that feeling is what we were talking about! :)

Good luck at Trim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done A on a brilliant time & race report! I love picking people out & hoping to eventually pass them by, it really helps :)

Best of luck in Trim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good man Alan, great run, and well done on the new PB.

At this stage you should know about placing for the Raheny start, it could be argued that there were a few more second to be had there. Anyway congrats again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I cant keep up! With the reports.. let alone the running.

Super running Sir, nicely executed PB. Of all of them this weekend yours seemed most measured. Nice pacing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Likewise i have a dislike for Sunday races, too much time waiting for it and not even time for post race celebrations either :cool:

Really delighted to see this PB. You always seem to be chugging out big runs day in day out and i know marathons are more your thing for now but great to get a bit of pay out at the shorter stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Congrats on the new PB. That's a super solid run, well done. Maybe Sunday races will grow on you ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done A, great to see you PB!! In nice shape heading to Waterford for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Savage stuff on marathon legs. Congrats on the PB

Just seen something that I thought was worth sharing.

There is a Strava segment on the finishing straight at Raheny 5 - shows as 0.06m on Strava.

Last year I ran it in 21 seconds.
    This year I ran it in 16 seconds.

So in the space of what, 100meters - you can gain/lose 5 seconds.

I recall a race in Bohermeen a few years ago - I was neck and next with a Bros P runner just before the turn for the track and ended up beating him by 7 seconds.

** If you can find the sprint (& you can) - those few seconds can be a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Super running in Raheny A! Congratulations on the PB

Monday: Day after a race - nothing better than a 17 miler.............

With 2 races in 2 weeks, I couldn't let the long run suffer - so done it on very tired legs.
    1st 8.5m downhill - 2nd 8.5m up from the Quays to home.
    Pace was surprisingly good - felt tired but strong.

17m @7.55 pace

Tuesday: Recovery - a proper recovery - with some light strides to freshen up the legs.
    4.5m @8.50 pace

Wednesday: Session - the old reliable - 4x200/2x400/800/2x400/4x200 - aim was to inject some speed into the legs.

I don't think I've ever ran these in the correct way i.e. the 800 needs to be the fastest - with the rest being 'controlled'.

1st set of 200's in 40-41 seconds - so this was ok.
    the 2x400 were 83 / 80
    800 in 2.38 - 5.18 pace
    2x400: 79/80 : too fast
    4x200: 40/36/37/33

On the last 200 I really opened up the legs and pumped the arms - it felt very 'free' - like I was holding something back earlier, my knee lift felt higher too. Must try to replicate this again as I felt my 'form' was the big change.
    During this short rep, I can recall thinking - I must note this on Boards :):)

7m total.

Thursday: 5.7m - 8.33 pace down the PP - very windy, was going to do a few more miles, but thought I had enough done and the breeze was a pain!

Friday: Day off - no running today.

257 miles for the month - Highest mileage month since March last year.

• Advertisement

With 2 races in 2 weeks, I couldn't let the long run suffer - so done it on very tired legs. 1st 8.5m downhill - 2nd 8.5m up from the Quays to home. Pace was surprisingly good - felt tired but strong.

I think structuring the training in a way where you have a long run the day after a race isn't necessarily a bad thing from time to time. I'll certainly be taking that approach with my upcoming 10k assuming the legs can manage it the day after

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

On the last 200 I really opened up the legs and pumped the arms - it felt very 'free' - like I was holding something back earlier, my knee lift felt higher too. Must try to replicate this again as I felt my 'form' was the big change.

That's called sprinting! That lovely free/flying feeling is why we track fairies love it so much.

John Tracey / Dungarvan 10m

Preamble: This race wasn't as built up in my head as last weeks - in fact, it was more of a nuisance. I had zero stress/apprehension about it, probably 'cos the weather would be $hit anyway. And anyway - everyone knew it was a harder course than the easy Trim 10m ;)

A difficult nights sleep with Wifey coming home at 3am and Daughter#1 getting up for work at 5am meant sleep wasn't as good - but I knew that prior - so was ready for it.
    Up at 7'ish - Breakfast was Porridge followed by coffee- followed by toast - followed by coffee - followed by the Bathroon :) Success.

Made it to Dungarvan in about 2hr 20min - inc a pit stop for more coffee and a danish and a loo break.
    Found parking about 0.5m from the HQ and done a 2m warm up with some strides - into the pen about 15 mins to go and done some stretching. A hello to Adrian and a couple of former clubmates (Yes - I'm currently unattached) and we settle in.

Amble: As I was in the start pen, I seen a familiar face FQ - I formally of these parts who was pacing 60 mins - they hadn't advertised this, so it threw my race plan out the window about 1 min from the start!!

My original plan was to run my own race according to the wind - and hope to run a faster 2nd half - when the pacer showed up - I decided to follow him as I was sure he would have a pack with him.

We set off - a lap of the town to start. I recall feeling my lace was opened, but it was just lose, memories of my last time running here 6 years ago (also in prep for manchester) - when my lace opened.
    The impact of having a pacer, meant I hardly looked at my watch - I just followed him. (timings from this race are from my Strava after the fact unless stated)

Mile 1: Lap of the town - felt a bit quick - 5.56

Mile 2: A bit uphill feeling here - the pace was 5.57 but felt harder - my 1st thoughts of not running with the pacer and letting him go - thought about dropping back - but didn't.

Mile 3: was on a dirt road - lots of potholes and dirt - breeze to the side - so pacer FQ upped the pace a tad and kept us going with him - still a great group with him.
    5.51 - I was surprised he ran this quick but some of it was downhill.

Mile 4 & 5: we turned into the wind - this part I was prepared for - I was at the very back of the pack behind the biggest guys I could find.
    Pace was lighter but the effort remained hard - this also had an uphill portion to it. I recall looking at the watch here and seeing a sub 6 time - I wasn't sure how many seconds we were up or down. 2 miles into the headwind had taken its toll as the group had split up terribly.
    5.57 / 6.02

Mile 6. After mile 5 we turned - I expected the wind to cal down as it seemed like it was in our face since the start - but it was still a cross wind and a factor - a dowhnill here was very helpful to recover.
    I recall turning a corner at 6.7m and the wind receding immediately - the conversation behind startedup and everyone felt in great spirits - gave us all a great lift.
    M6: 5.55

Mile 7: I knew mile 7 was a severe downhill - so I used this to recover - relaxing the arms/hands
    I recall as I approached mile 7 there was a lady calling out the time - 41.45 - this confused me slightly as I was thinking of Marathon paced terms 3 miles at 6.30= 19.30 left - so I was way behind - only after a few seconds did I realise I was within target and was 15 seconds up.

Mile 8: keep it going - I found myself right up at the pacer, I didn't look behind to see how many were there, it didn't seem like loads. But we kept going.
    5.52 was a great return here as I was starting to suffer. 2 miles left I was saying. I could run 2 6.10's and still get sub 60 - this was a good relief to me knowing this.

Mile 9: We went uphill for a bit and onto the main road - this was it - keep with it - dont lag I was saying - I was on Franks shoulder at this stage. The breeze was non dis-crept here so I reckon it was behind me - but I didn't feel it. This mile was definitely uphill.
    5.58 and fading

Mile 10: We ventured left and I felt the wind crop up again.
    There was a clock at the 9 mile sign reading 53.30 - so I knew I could run the last mile at 6:30 pace and still get sub 60. I felt a massive relief here - until I noticed the pace drop off substantially as I was going uphill - my left quad was shouting at me at this stage - my Christ - come on - the last mile and I'm suffering - I look at the watch - the pacer has gone behind me to pick up others - its 6.10 for 'current lap' - moving to 6.15......6.17........ $hit - I could F$ck this up in the last mile I was thinking.
    I pushed harder, it felt terrible - my quad was suffering - not screaming at me, but suffering- We seemed to crest a hill and then go down hill - I seen the time come back to me - 6.17 for mile 10..............6.10................6.05...............

before I knew it I was back on the open road about 400m from the finish line - I opened up a little and went for it as we turned the corner - I could see the clock. I could not believe it - I still cant.
    5.50 for mile 10

Crossed the line at 59.27. 99th position and a 100 second PB!!

I NEVER thought I would break sub 60 for 10 miles. Never.
    I thought I could go close, but I thought age would catch up with me and leave me short.

Delighted to earn this time - I texted my family saying that this was my best ever running performance - and I stand by that.

Post Amble: Funny Story:

I jogged back to the Sport Center - HQ - to get my top and a cup of coffee an a sambo - as I approached, a guy asked my was I the first.
    I said yes - not understanding as no one was behind me.

I went to the loo and then went into the hall - to a round of applause from the volunteers there!! They thought I was the winner :):)
    I was a tad embarrassed and said no - I just won the race for the sambo's - jaysus - Morto!!

I had a big smile on my face all the way home - its a long drive but oh so worth it when things go right and when Spurs beat Man City on the radio and I was home for 2nd half. A great weekend.!!

Did I ever mention the day I went sub 60???

Haha great stuff man and well deserved. Great run in very tricky conditions. That watch is a curse for you. If only we could get you to ignore it more often. Haha. Well done. Sub 60 is a massive milestone. Hope you're celebrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats on sub60!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Brilliant race, time & report!

Super well done on the PB - I'm sure you're still beaming today :D

Super run Alan. Going from strength to strength. Interesting about the pace group and the last minute change of plan working in your favour. Similar story with my first sub 3 in Limerick, after blowing up in the uber-planned Rotterdam marathon, I just went out with the pacer and paid no attention to the watch. Do you reckon Manchester will put on a 2:50 pacer for us? ;) Now that you're the Dungarvan 10 Mile champion, you could have a word with the organisers...

Loved reading that A and I'm delighted for you on that massive performance and matching result! Out of interest how much difference do you think running with the pacer/group made?

ariana` wrote: »
    Loved reading that A and I'm delighted for you on that massive performance and matching result! Out of interest how much difference do you think running with the pacer/group made?

I meant to include a bit in the report on this - so thanks for the reminder.

There was a stage in the race I was really struggling in the group, about 4 miles in - it was a bit into the wind and uphill.
    But I was more so struggling with the concept of being in a tight group - normally you'd move from group to group or get a bit isolated from time to time - but being in a group like this was really getting to me - I recall it also from a marathon I done in San Seb when I went with the pace group but left them after a while.

In this case (Dungarvan) - I was trying to re-frame it in my mind - to see it as a positive thing otherwise I'd have felt more comfortable out of the group and would probably have left the group.
    So I began to think about the later miles, possibly struggling on my own vrs the security of the group. I noted the positives of being in the group due to the wind etc........

So once I became comfortable in the pace group - it was a saving grace, and I started to enjoy it - especially in the later stages when we were helping each other - encouraging etc.

Don't think I'd have broken 60 without it - I had my excuses with the breeze already at the start :)

Great report and fantastic race. Delighted you went sub 60 that's a massive milestone for any runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Delighted for you Alan, it's a real landmark time to chalk off. Very well done and deserved, it didnt come for free.

Smashing run man, pushed through when it got tough, and as the rest have said that sub 60 is something that people dream about, yourself included from what I've read. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Super run man fair play.

I know there is a bit of talk of pacers but in this incidence I think the main benefit was that it helped you get out of your own head. Our minds will always take a self preservation angle to everything we do so half the battle is not the physical benefits but just managing to turn off the noggin somewhat.

Even where no pacers going forward it is a great tool to be able to use in a race and just trust the training.

Delighted for you and a great week to reward your good work.

A few meandering thoughts;

Sundays race:
    you know the one where I broke 60 :)
    My 2 5 mile splits were 29.46 & 29:31
    The 1st 10k was 37.03 (theres a Strava segment)
    My Garmin tells me that during the race I ran a 36.47 10k. (PB is 36.09)

Marathon Pace:
    JD Calculator tells me my time equates to a 2.45 marathon!!
    McMillan gives something more conservative.
    Marathon Pace will be 6.25/mile

Bohermeen:
    Not racing it - I'll do it as part of an 18m MP session.

Longest Run prior to Manchester.
    Plan has a 26m easy run in it :o

Max mileage:
    Will touch 80m with the next 7 weeks over 70m.

Cramp Plan:
    * Regular 200's / Hill sprints as per Ritz.
    * Pilates class weekly. - Supplemented with home Yoga.
    * S&C sessions to strengthen the Hammy & hip flexor. (SLD's / Physio ball / Donkey kicks with Hammy activated
    * Will get regular massage in next 9 weeks - supplemented with foam rolling - contemplating buying one of those 'power' massage thingies.
    * Spoke to Sean Hehir on cramping - in the past I've taken 1 or 2 salt tabs prior to a Marathon - he takes at least 4 prior to the race.
    * Bought some Precision Hydration electrolytes - these have a lot of sodium in them - will take these regularly in the build up.
    * I've bought some anti cramp shot that I'll carry with me should I spasm - this shocks the neurological system.

9 weeks training to go inc a 10 day taper this time.

A - I got one of them massage guns and find it great for the hammys/quads and calf's in particular, I bought one on Amazon for about 70 quid (through prime for ease of returns if anything did go wrong) and delivery in two days.

• Advertisement

Marathon Pace:
    JD Calculator tells me my time equates to a 2.45 marathon!!
    McMillan gives something more conservative.
    Marathon Pace will be 6.25/mile
    What about here?

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/10/running_calculator_introducing_slate_s_marathon_time_predictor_a_better.html?via=gdpr-consent

Dont like that one Sean!! - 2.52!!

I put in last years 10m and 5m times prior to running 2.52 in Rotterdam and I get 2.56.

Damo - which Model did you get?

Longest Run prior to Manchester.
    Plan has a 26m easy run in it

Out of interest will this be the furthest you've gone in a training run yet?

Not as flashy as some of them with digital screens, but it has a couple of attachments and a carry bag, 3 speed settings on it too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TKV21XZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭browne_rob5

Dont like that one Sean!! - 2.52!!

I put in last years 10m and 5m times prior to running 2.52 in Rotterdam and I get 2.56.

The results from the Slate predictor were a good bit out for me too. Runners World was fairly accurate.

Looking forward to following you in Manchester Alan. You're going very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great report AK. Well done on a massive pb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant run Alan; massive achievement to break the 60 minute mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Did I ever mention the day I went sub 60???

Catching up... super stuff. Delighted for you! It sounded like a tough enough day in the wind, but you had more than enough to deal with that and get well under. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Rarely post outside of my own log any more. But had to jump in here to say wow well done. That is such a milestone to tick off. Great running and I enjoyed the straight to the point report. Really pleased for you.

(that 26M training run, it's going to be just a little bit longer right?)

• Advertisement

Thanks folks - I cant use the 'Quote' to reply function in work.........

Ariana & OFAR: yep - I've went 24m in training runs, never 26. And I might just keep it to 26 to mess with peoples OCD :)

Advertisement