Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Monday AM: 4.6m around the local area - 8:05 pace

Monday PM: a few miles down to the Khyber and then 8x13 sec hill sprints with 1 min recovery. - 5.8m total.

10.4m for the day

Tuesday: Session was - 24/18/12/6/4/3/2/2mins starting at MP and getting faster each rep.

2m down to the PP and done some stretching.

24 mins - 3.60m - 6:40 pace (Down the Upper Glen & up the S bends - $h1t - too fast - story of my life)
    18 mins - 2.73m - 6:35 pace Up the North Road
    12 mins - 1.84m - 6:30 pace
    6 mins - 0.94m - 6:24 pace
    4 mins - 0.65m - 6:12 pace (recovery changes from 3mins to 2mins)
    3 mins - 0.49m - 6:09 pace
    2 mins - 0.33m - 6:08 pace
    2 mins - 0.34m - 5:56 pace

Great session - felt strong and capable on all reps.

2m home.

16:68m for the day

Wednesday: legs felt great from the off so just went with how I felt - it was like they had an engine attached to them - I should be tired, but was still happy to motor along at a decent clip (see what I did there......)

10m @ 7:25

Passed my highest monthly mileage today - currently registering 278m - should clear 300 for the 1st time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Best of luck on Sunday A!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday A!

Thanks for the best wishes for my long run :)

(My marathon is on November 27th :):) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I included you in my (very long) tracker list nonetheless :p which pace group are you running with, 3.20 or 3.30?????

Thanks for the best wishes for my long run :)

(My marathon is on November 27th :):) )

I knew that!

A long run of 26.2 miles still deserves some good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

All the best with the long run Sunday, don't do anything stupid and don't let RunningKing take over!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Enjoy Sunday, should be nice to be able to soak it all up without being under pressure to go for a time!

I'm not doing the full distance folks, just a 22m long run with 13 or so at MP.
    I'll be removing the chip.

I'm not doing the full distance folks, just a 22m long run with 13 or so at MP.
    I'll be removing the chip.

I couldn't do that. I'd be too tempted to do the whole thing and get caught up in the atmosphere. So will you join up 4 miles in or step out with 4 miles to go?

RedRunner wrote: »
    I couldn't do that. I'd be too tempted to do the whole thing and get caught up in the atmosphere. So will you join up 4 miles in or step out with 4 miles to go?

Joining in at the zoo (4m mark) as I know I wouldn't stop at 22m if I started at the start line!!

I'm looking fwd to the FB comments about the cheater who jumped in at mile 4........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Joining in at the zoo (4m mark) as I know I wouldn't stop at 22m if I started at the start line!!

I'm looking fwd to the FB comments about the cheater who jumped in at mile 4........

I wouldn't worry too much about that, it's not like you have any distinguishing features that could easily identify you...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Hope you're not wearing the club top so :D sure enjoy it anyway, might catch up after....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

So you jumping in with the Elites or the walkers A ?:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll buy a pint for anyone who captures this cheating on video.

Thursday: Took a rest day to go to Parnell Park with my girls to watch Castleknock Seniors beat St Judes in a tactical masterclass. Roll on the final on Saturday.

Friday: 7.3m@7.47 around the PP - legs felt good.

Saturday: Just an easy few miles to the MSB grass track and 5x40secs sprints. Legs felt a bit dead - like they do the day before a Marathon except, I'm not doing a Marathon :)

4.8m

Sunday: I had planned to jump in at the Zoo - but ended up running the whole thing...........

Nah - that didn't happen. Lets start again.

My plan was to jump in at the 4-5m mark. I got a lift down to the 'Hole in the Wall'pub and jogged over to Chesterfield - watching as the Sub 3 wannabees went by.
    I jogged down a bit and seen the 3:20 pacers in the distance, so went behind a tree - removed my other t-shirt (the one hiding my number as I was running from the HITW pub) and promptly joined the group pretending to tie my shorts like I just had a pit stop.

Must say - I felt like a total fraud and had contemplated not joining at all at one stage.

I ran a bit with Beep Beep but found it too bumpy, so moved a bit ahead - The run through Castleknock was immense - love the support there.
    Had good company with a Raheny lady chasing 3:20, as we swapped some stories and she fell back with the pace group.

I hit 13.1m in fine fettle and this is where my race began. I planned to do 13.1 at MP (6:45) but after a few mins I was finding it tough!!
    I played mind games with myself - I'll just do 4x3m / I'll do 2x6m / but after about 5-6m I started to feel comfortable and in a rhythm.
    I didn't push up any of the hills and also ran with TomWaits (Statss) for a few mins - he looked like he was struggling, so was delighted to meet him at the end and hear his time.
    I met a couple of the MSB crew and ran a bit with them, but they were struggling so went off again.

The last mile is amazing and it felt great to run down the straight - with 800m left, I could feel the beginnings of a strain in the front of my lower leg, but that was the only discomfort throughout.

Finished with 3:07 on the clock (2.39 time on feet for me) -

Felt great at the end - no discomfort, legs felt fine - had a chat with some of the MSB crew and waited for Sean to see if he got his PB. Had a chat with OP & TRR at the end.
    TRR walking funny, but he also runs funny so its all relative.

A few 'what if's' floating around my head this evening - but we cant live by 'What ifs' - I learned a lot from the run that'll help me next month.
    • I made a few nutrition mistakes on Sat eating too late.
    • I got my hydration bang on - only a few sips of water needed on the course.
    • I took 2 gels but felt I didn't need them - both different types, both went down fine.
    • Wore new shorts - no chafing - result.
    • Long socks are the marathon sock of choice.

Happy with the session - 1 more 22m long run next week.

22.57m @ 7:04 pace. My last 13.1m done in 1:28:39.

72m for the week, with 2 great sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

AMK, the Rosie Ruiz of boards:)

Finished with October with a short 4.8m@8:11 pace run to pick up the car (via the PP :) ) from the pub after last nights exertions.
    Quads a bit sore, but no different to the 3/4 Mara.

318 miles for the month- highest ever by a long way(about 45 miles).

Spent a great evening tonight picking my way through the reports/times/FB posts from DCM (accompanied by a glass of wine of course) - even got to see myself on video at at the finish line :) (think 'expectation v reality' :) )

Some great performances out there - Dublin Marathon is pretty special - think I might look to pace it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Dublin Marathon is pretty special - think I might look to pace it next year.

You should.
    How did it go last time you did it?? :p

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You should.
    How did it go last time you did it?? :p

My time was bang on - the course was 5 seconds too long :P

Monday: 4.8m @ 8.11

Tuesday: 9.4m @ 7:52 - legs felt great as I went for a headlamp led ramble around the PP - legs felt great fatigue wise, but quads still a little 'meh'.
    The Deer were on the pathways, kinda frightening when 50 pairs of eyes are reflecting at you from 5 yards!!

Wednesday: Session - 30mins MP / 4x5mins @ 10k / 30 mins MP

I was unsure if I should do this or not, given the Marathon session on Sunday......gedditt.....but the legs were feeling ok and I'm off to the US on Sunday for a few days so my opportunities for this session would be limited in the coming 10 days or so. I comtemplated doing it as part of the weekend long run, but ended up just going out to get it done.

2miles warm up to the PP and set off down the North Road.
    the 30 min MP section took me to the end of the road by the Khyber. I jogged for 3 mins and set off on the 4x5min 10k paced sections on the Conyngham Road - there are marking every 100m or so on a good stretch here for 1600m - so I used them and recovered for 2 mins.

The 2nd MP section brought me into the Park at Park Gate street and up Chesterfield to the turn at Myos and finished near where the 7 mile mark was at the Marathon. Jaysus, this was tough and was delighted to finish.

Paces for the session:
    30 mins MP: 4.5m@6:40 pace

5mins: 0.82m@6:05 pace
    5mins: 0.83m@6:03 pace
    5mins: 0.81m@6:11 pace
    5mins: 0.82m@6:06 pace

Quite happy with these - the 2mins recovery was fair - An additional 3 mins recovery before starting the 2nd MP stuff.

30 mins MP: 4:44m@6:44pace - That climb from the bottom of C'Field out past Myo's was hard work - thought about quitting a few times.

1.5m back home.

16.85 miles for the day

Felt very wiped after that session - wasn't made any easier watching a dour Spurs lose again at Wembley.
    Something is not quite right in Pooch Land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Got to love those Steve Way sessions, nice going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

tang1 wrote: »
    Got to love those Steve Way sessions, nice going.

Agreed. They're two great MP sessions to get under your belt. Keep your eye on the timer though. Make sure you don't leave those legs in the oven for too long or they will be overcooked ;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Agreed. They're two great MP sessions to get under your belt. Keep your eye on the timer though. Make sure you don't leave those legs in the oven for too long or they will be overcooked ;)

Yeah, that was a massive consideration before doing it.
    Following this week's long run, I've a few days away with work to allow anything that may be overcooked to cool down :)

It's a fine balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's one of the strangest training runs I think I've heard of! Sounds very beneficial though, glad it worked out. So what's so good about long socks - genuine question?

That's one of the strangest training runs I think I've heard of! Sounds very beneficial though, glad it worked out. So what's so good about long socks - genuine question?

The 22.5 with 13.1 @ MP or the 30MP/4x5/30mp???

The latter is from the Bournemouth AC training plan - its a 12 week progressive plan built by Steve way and has a lot of similar 'sandwich runs' built into it - all progressive - so on its own it looks daft - but as a progression, it works very well as the legs are very tired on the final 30 min of MP.

The former could have been a lot more strange had I of ran the whole thing :p

Thursday: 30 mins recovery - the day started with a 5:30am meeting, so wasn't feelingthe love for this. Cold and wet 30 mins.

3.3 miles @ 9min pace

Friday: Off work today so started with a nice lap of the park at an easy pace. Lovely day but just a tad nippy - I may or may not of been wearing gloves. But they were thin ones.

Off to wicklow today with the family.

7.5 miles @ 7:58 pace

Saturday: As I'm flying to the US with work on Sunday morning, I needed to get this done today. Not ideal as it would be a 3rd tough run in 7 days and I am old.

I had in my mind the thoughts of doing a 2:55 run for time on feet - I was doing it solo again so I opted for a route that didn't contain the P.Park. Not that I'm sick of it, but just a comment that someone made to me recently (from our club) about our club always being in the PP and that wasn't ideal Marathon Prep.

Ran on the canal to Leixlip and back out to St Catherines park and back along the canal, ran past my house at about 15 miles into it - wasn't tempted to leave it. Legs were tired for the weeks activities but carried on, back onto the canal and carried on to Ashtown before turning back home for 21 miles.
    Didn't quite make the 2:55 time on feet target, but was on a timeline so left it at 2:45 - not a bad compromise after the 2 quality runs since last Sunday.

I had 1 gel en route and no water - feeling quite good afterwards and not very hungry/thirsty - this is actually something I'm noticing more and more during this cycle - I'm not eating loads after my long runs, just the usual amount, maybe a little extra later on in the day. I take this as a good sign of adaptation??

Pace wise, I wasn't too interested in the pace, just getting it done - that being said, the 2nd half of the run was faster than the 1st half. Once I left the hilly St Catherines park the pace picked up naturally.

21.1m @ 7.47

I'm into the taper now and after 2x18/1x19 /8x20+ mile runs I'm fairly confident I'm hitting peak and tapering at the right time.

63m for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thursday: 30 mins recovery - the day started with a 5:30am meeting, so wasn't feelingthe love for this. Cold and wet 30 mins.

3.3 miles @ 9min pace

Friday: Off work today so started with a nice lap of the park at an easy pace. Lovely day but just a tad nippy - I may or may not of been wearing gloves. But they were thin ones.

Off to wicklow today with the family.

7.5 miles @ 7:58 pace

Saturday: As I'm flying to the US with work on Sunday morning, I needed to get this done today. Not ideal as it would be a 3rd tough run in 7 days and I am old.

I had in my mind the thoughts of doing a 2:55 run for time on feet - I was doing it solo again so I opted for a route that didn't contain the P.Park. Not that I'm sick of it, but just a comment that someone made to me recently (from our club) about our club always being in the PP and that wasn't ideal Marathon Prep.

Ran on the canal to Leixlip and back out to St Catherines park and back along the canal, ran past my house at about 15 miles into it - wasn't tempted to leave it. Legs were tired for the weeks activities but carried on, back onto the canal and carried on to Ashtown before turning back home for 21 miles.
    Didn't quite make the 2:55 time on feet target, but was on a timeline so left it at 2:45 - not a bad compromise after the 2 quality runs since last Sunday.

I had 1 gel en route and no water - feeling quite good afterwards and not very hungry/thirsty - this is actually something I'm noticing more and more during this cycle - I'm not eating loads after my long runs, just the usual amount, maybe a little extra later on in the day. I take this as a good sign of adaptation??

Pace wise, I wasn't too interested in the pace, just getting it done - that being said, the 2nd half of the run was faster than the 1st half. Once I left the hilly St Catherines park the pace picked up naturally.

21.1m @ 7.47

I'm into the taper now and after 2x18/1x19 /8x20+ mile runs I'm fairly confident I'm hitting peak and tapering at the right time.

63m for the week.

Jazus you've some amount of sessions/long runs done, if you don't go solid sub 3, I'm checkin into the Auld Folks Home.

You're in great Nick and have set yourself up nicely

TbL

Jazus you've some amount of sessions/long runs done, if you don't go solid sub 3, I'm checkin into the Auld Folks Home.

You're in great Nick and have set yourself up nicely

TbL

I'm taking nothing for granted.
    Cramps are enemy #1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

I suffered really badly from cramps in Berlin, doing it back again id run the first 10k 30-45 seconds slower than marathon pace and probably on feel more than the watch.
    Worth considering as im convinced i was on the edge too early rather than hydration issues solely.
    I realise that its a hard one to square, putting yourself behind schedule early, but i know youre prone to cramps like myself and its such a headscratcher trying to figure out the reasons. Its also a recipe for a good negative split too though imo.

• Advertisement

I suffered really badly from cramps in Berlin, doing it back again id run the first 10k 30-45 seconds slower than marathon pace and probably on feel more than the watch.
    Worth considering as im convinced i was on the edge too early rather than hydration issues solely.
    I realise that its a hard one to square, putting yourself behind schedule early, but i know youre prone to cramps like myself and its such a headscratcher trying to figure out the reasons. Its also a recipe for a good negative split too though imo.

thanks for that - yeah, I'm pretty sure with me its not a hydration issue but a physiological one.
    I also think this marathon will boil down to confidence. I feel in better than 2:59 shape but will I have the confidence to try and better it and possibly cramp up?

This is one of the reasons I've taken the approach that I have with this marathon regarding long runs with 4 that included 10-13m at MP (plus the sort of midweek sessions that I'm doing).

I'm still at sorts with regard my pacing plan for the race and wont firm up on it for a while. But the 1st 5k will be the slowest :) (I hope)

Advertisement