Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

bauney wrote: »
    Any idea how to replace broken LEDs?

No idea, mine doesnt have them. I would have thought just a plug 'n play but you'd have to open up the unit to do it.

Never saw the point of them anyway. Its not like its actually using them to see where its going! :)

If anything they just attract attention to the fact that there is a €2k+ piece of equipment roaming the lawn at night. The less people see my mower the better as far as Im concerned! I'd leave them broken! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Oops silly mistake. Upon inspection I see that there was a leaf stuck if front of the lights blocking soon light.

Oops silly mistake. Upon inspection I see that there was a leaf stuck if front of the lights blocking soon light.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Good to hear that it doesnt require a drastic fix! :)

Put the leaf back in there and find another leaf for the other side! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Tun_80

Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice, i will be purchasing a 430x in the coming weeks and dont know whether to buy online or from local dealer, the price difference is huge but im afraid it will come back to haunt me if anything goes wrong with it and not being able to go back to dealer. The 430x is €2300 online from swedish stores and 3k from most dealers here. If i buy online i will be doing the setup myself and and should end up saving about €1500 altogether, but my wife wants to buy local and pay the instillation cost. The online model is also the upgraded model with the led headlights which the local dealers does not. What would ye do? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Tun_80 wrote:
    Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice, i will be purchasing a 430x in the coming weeks and dont know whether to buy online or from local dealer, the price difference is huge but im afraid it will come back to haunt me if anything goes wrong with it and not being able to go back to dealer. The 430x is €2300 online from swedish stores and 3k from most dealers here. If i buy online i will be doing the setup myself and and should end up saving about €1500 altogether, but my wife wants to buy local and pay the instillation cost. The online model is also the upgraded model with the led headlights which the local dealers does not. What would ye do? TIA

1500 is a decent holiday
    I went self install like many and no complaints so far, but ya never know

Shaunoc wrote: »
    1500 is a decent holiday
    I went self install like many and no complaints so far, but ya never know

+1

If you are happy to self install (<1 day of effort depending on lawn size) then thats the way to go. Its not complicated if you can read a manual.

If something goes wrong with the mower itself then I'd assume Husqvarna will still give you warranty at your local dealer particularly if you buy from an EU country.... unless someones has said that a dealer refused warranty because they didnt sell it?... I doubt it though. Warranty repairs are welcome at any dealer as they charge it back to the HQ so its business for them, not an expense.

Keep the €1500 in your arse pocket.

+2
    16 months ago I had the same dilemma. Buy online or buy from local husqavarna and them to install it.
    I would be decent enough at DIY jobs around the house so I bought online and installed myself. Saved myself approx 500.
    Very simple to install and get working. No issues and my lawn looks brilliant all year round. Very simple to move and adjust later if needed too which i did.
    The decision depends on your lawn layout, DIY competence, afford the extra expense with getting someone to install it.
    Go for it and buy online and self install it, you will learn more and us board nerds can guide you through ðŸ˜
    PM me if you want more information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

+3

Saved just over 2K purchasing and installing my self.

Top tips ! Buy the heavy gauge wire it's arround 250 euro for 500 meters. depending on how much you want, but it will allow you to block off additional plants, trees etc.
    Buy a tone tester in case of breaks or damage to the cable in the future.it speeds up the repair process no end !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭staples7

Tun_80 wrote: »

+4 if you look for my posts you will see one where I had a small issue after buying online ( manufacturing error where cable wasn’t connected properly to motherboard) local dealer came out fixed it back at his Workshop and brought it back. He was paid mileage and labour by husqvarna. He says anything goes wrong for first 2 years it’s covered no matter where you buy. Hope that helps.

Like mentioned above I also needed to buy more cable after. 2 guide wires take up a lot!

And one season in one of the best purchases I’ve ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

staples7 wrote: »
    +4 if you look for my posts you will see one where I had a small issue after buying online ( manufacturing error where cable wasn’t connected properly to motherboard) local dealer came out fixed it back at his Workshop and brought it back. He was paid mileage and labour by husqvarna. He says anything goes wrong for first 2 years it’s covered no matter where you buy. Hope that helps.

Like mentioned above I also needed to buy more cable after. 2 guide wires take up a lot!

And one season in one of the best purchases I’ve ever made!

from the online shop bought from at the time there was a 5 year warranty.
    I hope not to test it. Nor can i remember the T&Cs now
    but i take great comfort from your story!

Edit: Zurich will cover the Husky for fire and theft as it has gps, pin and alarm features. They just need the serial # on their side. 750 excess though. Better than a kick in the ass however

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Separately, also i'm looking at home insurance today and I think Zurich are confident they will add the mower to policy with excess of 750
    better than where i'm at currently with Allianz

I'm with Aviva, am going to see what story is with them - will update this if I can find out to-day. UPDATE - Aviva Home Insurance don't off cover. Seen as too high risk by them.

NOTE: Am hoping to replace my ride on mower with a robotic one in next couple of weeks.

Tun_80 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat at the moment myself. I had a ride on mower - deck is gone, needs replacing (€450 cost) - have had it 15 yrs. so it's probably a good time for a change. With trade in dealer will do 430X + Full installation for 3K. Any thoughts.

coxy123 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat at the moment myself. I had a ride on mower - deck is gone, needs replacing (€450 cost) - have had it 15 yrs. so it's probably a good time for a change. With trade in dealer will do 430X + Full installation for 3K. Any thoughts.

Pay the 450 buy a new deck ,replace it, sell the ride one, and order and install the 430x your self.

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Pay the 450 buy a new deck ,replace it, sell the ride one, and order and install the 430x your self.

I'd be lucky to get 550 for it even with replacement deck I think!! Check https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/castlegarden-ride-on/23015362

coxy123 wrote: »
    I'd be lucky to get 550 for it even with replacement deck I think!! Check https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/castlegarden-ride-on/23015362

Option B, spend 2,510.60 online, do the install your self, buy the deck and keep the ride on just in case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Just wondering when are the best bargains available on the husqvarna mowers online ? Do they ever appear as black friday deals ? Im looking at getting a 315.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

Josieg wrote: »
    I was just about to post on this subject myself. I've had my 450x since April 2017 and just recently started to experience problems. I'm having some ongoing guide wire issue but not a big deal. However 2 months ago one of the wheel motors went. It was 360 to replace (it did include the annual "service") but got it covered under warranty. I can hear the same grinding sound coming from the other wheel motor so I fear it's on the way out. Also, not a big deal, one of the headlights is dimmer than the other. I'm wondering if it's a loose connection or possibly some water in the electronic. The dealer found a puddle in the base of the mower. Not sure how it got in. He dried it all out but may have been done condensation on the motherboard. I love my mower but worried that once out of warranty it will cost me a fortune to maintain.

Does anyone know what the issue is with the wheel motor? They are brushless so you would think they would last longer than 2 years. I saw somewhere online that others blame the plastic bearings ceasing up. Bad design if that is the case.

Just fyi the other wheel motor started to give up last week. It's off being replaced under warranty. I heard somewhere that the newer wheel motors are a different design due to wear problems. Does anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭staples7

Starting to think about raising the height from level 2 slowly back up over next few weeks before nights get frosty. I’m presuming grass is more at risk from damage otherwise? Absolutely delighted with the finish up to now. weed and feed really brought it on early summer. Will reduce hours too as no need to be going 24/7 as it was. Undecided if I’ll take it to dealer for service as I only have machine since March and it’s software got updated a few months back. I never leave blades go over 6 week mark (Amazon have 30 for 10 quid so what’s the point :)) I’ll obviously give her a really good clean out at some stage but I do give it a very quick clearing of built up grass pretty regularly especially in wet weather. (Has been blocked a few times in this v wet weather this week)

Any tips from the seasoned guys very welcome!

• Advertisement

Great to hear you are impressed. Not surprised.
    I have the exact same impression and do the same things (cheap blades, cleanup of grass every week when its wet). I have the mower (husky 430x) for 16 months now. Before i brought it in last year (nov) i had it a 8/9, however last winter was very mild and the grass was still growing every so slightly. So the mower had hard work to starting last year when i let it out at level 10 but it managed it over a few weeks in feb/mar. I might try to leave it out longer this year if weather permits i think.

I started at beginning of year at 10 and worked down until i saw what was the perfect level. anything above 5 seemed like the grass was still long. Neat but a touch long. At level 4 i found it was looking just right. Never thought of going further. I will start upping it a few levels now before winter. Have you any photos of you level 2 grass? interested in seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Hi folks, great thread!

I'm looking at Husqvarna mowers with Connect from Sweden online, will I run into data/mobiles issues with these?

Have any folks here experienced warranty issues when buying online from overseas?

And finally;

With regard to boundary wire, I have to buy a lot and it seems stupidly priced for PE 2.7mm wire, Husqvarna prices are over 50c per 1m, other Chinese retailers (I bet its made in the same factory) have the same specs for 8c a meter. What are your thoughts?

Many thanks,

K

Ketron wrote: »
    With regard to boundary wire, I have to buy a lot and it seems stupidly priced for PE 2.7mm wire, Husqvarna prices are over 50c per 1m, other Chinese retailers (I bet its made in the same factory) have the same specs for 8c a meter. What are your thoughts?

If you are sure its the same grade wire then of course buy the chinese stuff. Its not like it's some super duper high tech wire... its just wire, but it does need to be the right grade to be able to withstand many many years of use under the ground.

If you could get a sample of both and compare you'd know for sure then.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Yea, I agree. Wire is pretty much wire. The official stuff is stupid expensive. I ended up using standard household 1.5mm sq. 220v wire from ebay. I think it ended up around a quarter of the price. The insulation type isnt as highly rated as the Husky stuff, but it is thicker, so I am hoping it will last close to as long. Its been down for 18months now and ive handnt had any issues bar when the lawnmower cut it itself.

Thanks folks, the wire i went with is the standard 2.7mm PE insulated wire. Cant see it being much different to the Husky wire unless it somehow has a higher resistivity or has subpar build quality.

My local dealer is coming very close to the online price so I'm going to go with them for convenience (and insurance if I have warranty issues) so all my questions have been answered. I'm doing the donkey work of laying the cable with a spade, would love if I could rent the machine!

Wish me luck! Thanks again!

Thanks folks, the wire i went with is the standard 2.7mm PE insulated wire. Cant see it being much different to the Husky wire unless it somehow has a higher resistivity or has subpar build quality.

The Husqvarna cable is a good bit stronger than your standard off the shelf wire. Any cable will do initially, its how it holds up over time is the thing.

I'm doing the donkey work of laying the cable with a spade, would love if I could rent the machine!

Forget the spade. Just peg it down. It will be out of sight in a few weeks and much easier to adjust after if needs be.

KCross wrote: »
    The Husqvarna cable is a good bit stronger than your standard off the shelf wire. Any cable will do initially, its how it holds up over time is the thing.

Forget the spade. Just peg it down. It will be out of sight in a few weeks and much easier to adjust after if needs be.

I'll bury the cable for the front lawn just to ensure it lasts. The back lawn I'll have to lay around 550m+ as well as guide wires so might go with the overground method to save time.

Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭blackbox

Just moved into a house with very steep slopes in the garden. Has anyone got a Husqvarna AWD mower? Are they on sale in Ireland yet?

blackbox wrote: »
    Just moved into a house with very steep slopes in the garden. Has anyone got a Husqvarna AWD mower? Are they on sale in Ireland yet?

How steep is steep?
    The standard mower can handle 45 degree slopes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭blackbox

KCross wrote: »
    How steep is steep?
    The standard mower can handle 45 degree slopes.

They say 45%, which is only 24 degrees. It is steeper than that.

Advertisement