Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Great thanks - here are the steps to see what "APN URL" your Automower is using

After entering PIN code> MENU> ACCESSORIES> AUTOMOWER CONNECT> "Eneter PIN code again" > NETWORK> APN SETTINGS

same url .tcxn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

He did give some reasons, better build, free software updates via the app, 6 year warranty and a few others I can't remember now. Just wondering if anyone here has more independent opinions

Hi I purchased a L350i earlier this year and posted about it earlier in this thread. Overall to date I'm happy with the machines performance and I have a large garden in 3 seperate areas with multiple trees etc wired off.

Machine has lost settings once or twice after the S/W updates but I got it set up and running again. You could still send it out manually until re configured.

I'd clarify the warranty, you mention 6 years, I understood it is two on my machine so best to check.

Electrical consumption is outstanding, I cut 1.5 acres for between 1.00 and 1.20 euro per week(5 -6 Kwhs).

I cant comment on durability other than to say I've had no issues to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimellard182

Thanks for the reply. The 6 year warranty is for the 4.0 elite models I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

E30i wrote: »
    Hi I purchased a L350i earlier this year and posted about it earlier in this thread. Overall to date I'm happy with the machines performance and I have a large garden in 3 seperate areas with multiple trees etc wired off.

Machine has lost settings once or twice after the S/W updates but I got it set up and running again. You could still send it out manually until re configured.

I'd clarify the warranty, you mention 6 years, I understood it is two on my machine so best to check.

Electrical consumption is outstanding, I cut 1.5 acres for between 1.00 and 1.20 euro per week(5 -6 Kwhs).

I cant comment on durability other than to say I've had no issues to date.

I just saw your post on the L350i. I was just looking at this model myself as I have about 2 acres (well I have 3-3.5 but for now would lawn 2) which would consist of 3 zones with some slopes and a run across a driveway. Did you install the machine yourself? Where did you get it, does it come with GSM connection already and can you tell me about any anti-theft protection? I know the husquvarna ones have the pin and t hen the blacklisting from husky themselves but not sure about the ambroglio ones.

Would really love to hear anything you can tell me on this as I'm really torn between the 2 of them.

I just saw your post on the L350i. I was just looking at this model myself as I have about 2 acres (well I have 3-3.5 but for now would lawn 2) which would consist of 3 zones with some slopes and a run across a driveway. Did you install the machine yourself? Where did you get it, does it come with GSM connection already and can you tell me about any anti-theft protection? I know the husquvarna ones have the pin and t hen the blacklisting from husky themselves but not sure about the ambroglio ones.

Would really love to hear anything you can tell me on this as I'm really torn between the 2 of them.

Hi
    Prob a good idea to ask your dealer if there is anyone local who has purchased one and maybe you could take a look at their setup which should help you make up your mind. I don't do my slope as it is too steep, dealer installed and returned a couple of times to sort out teething issues and I'd suggest it is worth it if you can stretch to that. However if I was installing one again I would be tempted to have a go myself.

I don't go across a driveway but if it has access I wouldn't see this as an issue. I dealt with Doyles in Carlow (Malcolm) and found them fairly good.

It comes with GSM connection for 2 years and then I thinkyou have to pay for it or buy a token or something but I'm not sure it is all worked out. Note the data allowance is only 2mb per month which I found insufficient.

I mentioned this to the dealer and also popped off an email to Ambrogio on this but didn't receive a reply. That was about 2 months ago.

Machine has a PIN and if it removed from the area it cannot be used without the PIN. Bottom line they cant use it to cut but you don't have it either!!

Hope this helps with your decision. The Husqvarna was just to small for my area. 6,000 sqms v 7000 for the Ambrogio.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Prob a good idea to ask your dealer if there is anyone local who has purchased one and maybe you could take a look at their setup which should help you make up your mind. I don't do my slope as it is too steep, dealer installed and returned a couple of times to sort out teething issues and I'd suggest it is worth it if you can stretch to that. However if I was installing one again I would be tempted to have a go myself.

I don't go across a driveway but if it has access I wouldn't see this as an issue. I dealt with Doyles in Carlow (Malcolm) and found them fairly good.

It comes with GSM connection for 2 years and then I thinkyou have to pay for it or buy a token or something but I'm not sure it is all worked out. Note the data allowance is only 2mb per month which I found insufficient.

I mentioned this to the dealer and also popped off an email to Ambrogio on this but didn't receive a reply. That was about 2 months ago.

Machine has a PIN and if it removed from the area it cannot be used without the PIN. Bottom line they cant use it to cut but you don't have it either!!

Hope this helps with your decision. The Husqvarna was just to small for my area. 6,000 sqms v 7000 for the Ambrogio.

Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be any other dealers within Ireland that I can see other than Doyles Wholesales. Can I ask, how much did it set you back?

So what happens when it runs out of data, you don't get any connection or updates or anything from the machine or do you get billed?

What were the teething issues? Obviously if I was installing it myself I wouldn't want to have any issues I couldn't sort myself or have to send it back to where ever I got it from.

Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be any other dealers within Ireland that I can see other than Doyles Wholesales. Can I ask, how much did it set you back?

Dermot Casey in Cork?

So what happens when it runs out of data, you don't get any connection or updates or anything from the machine or do you get billed?

What were the teething issues? Obviously if I was installing it myself I wouldn't want to have any issues I couldn't sort myself or have to send it back to where ever I got it from.

I paid the list price for the machine.

Can't contact the mower over the Internet when it runs out of data until the start of the next month.

Minor cabling issues where the machine was hitting a corner or too close or too far away from the edge.

I paid the list price for the machine.

Can't contact the mower over the Internet when it runs out of data until the start of the next month.

Minor cabling issues where the machine was hitting a corner or too close or too far away from the edge.

That sounds pretty good alright. Was the installation expensive, I suppose thats the main question?

Has anyone else had an Ambrogio mower and can share any experiences? I'm finding it difficult to get many reviews of them online. I kinda want a bit more information before dropping 3.5k on one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hi all. Anyone have ideas or solution for a mower that keeps getting stuck on the trampoline? I could make an island of the trampoline with the boundary wrote but I want the grass underneath it to be cut also. I have a 1200r. Tried a few things but nothing successful. Any ideas that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

It might help to post a pic of the trampoline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Hi all. Anyone have ideas or solution for a mower that keeps getting stuck on the trampoline? I could make an island of the trampoline with the boundary wrote but I want the grass underneath it to be cut also. I have a 1200r. Tried a few things but nothing successful. Any ideas that work?

Is it getting stuck on bars that connect some of the supporting legs and curve up somewhat above ground level?

That was the case with our trampoline and what I did was dig out trenches to the appropriate depth underneath those bars (took the top sod off first), dropped the trampoline in and then backfilled and replaced the top sod. Has the added bonus of making the trampoline very secure so no need to anchor it in any other way to protect against strong winds.

Mower has never had an issue with the trampoline since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I am considering buying either a Robomow RX20u or a Yardforce SA500ECO (or the SA600H). My layout is somewhat complicated, probably requiring a zoned design.
    49f3fa0031eec8cb546d05967ea72c86.png

That's why I am tending towards the robomow cause it says it can cope with zones, haven't really dug into how to achieve that. The issue is the edge separating the two main rectangular areas which is level with the most right area and fairly grown out on the other side but still noticable i.e. it most likely needs to be separated.

The ground is clay, fairly level, a bit bumpy in places, grass growth is vigorous. That's why I am also considering the Yardforce because of the bumpy spots, figuring if it can cope with slopes it can cope with a few bumps and depressions.

Now only one of the models (YF 600H) has a rain sensor, the other two allegedly can/will mow in rain (obviously an important topic , xD). I've seen feedback that the YF copes well with rain.
    The Robomow is the only one with app control, another reason why I am leaning towards that one.

https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/yardforce-sa500eco-2019
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/yardforce-sa600h-2019
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/robomow-rx20u

Incidentally, do you need to use the supplied perimeter wire (as I will need more xD) or can you get some equivalent wire cheaper at your local co-op/hardware store?
    Sorry for all the question, would appreciate any input.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

I'm planning on buying a robotic lawnmower in the next 18months, in relation to the charging unit will allowing for an external socket be sufficient ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats the crack for the winter folks, when do people generally warehouse the mowers and what do you do with the connections etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

thebackbar wrote: »
    I'm planning on buying a robotic lawnmower in the next 18months, in relation to the charging unit will allowing for an external socket be sufficient ?

Yes and No. It will do fine if its within reach of the place where you plan to put the docking station AND it doesnt involve a cable strewn across a footpath etc. Its asking for trouble if you leave it exposed.

Also, the transformer, which will be within a few feet of that socket needs to be weather protected. You cant leave that out in a puddle of water or having 30C sun hitting it all day.

So, it depends on where the socket is placed relative to the docking station and how weather proof the whole thing is.

Cyrus wrote: »
    whats the crack for the winter folks, when do people generally warehouse the mowers and what do you do with the connections etc?

Bring it in when the grass stops growing!
    Usually around early Nov timeframe.

I bring in the mower and docking station. I wrap the ends of the boundary wire in insultating tape and cover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

What is the widest cut electric mower you can buy? Who sells it?

Thanks, in advance.

Edit: not battery powered - mains operated

Poulgorm wrote: »
    What is the widest cut electric mower you can buy? Who sells it?

Thanks, in advance.

Edit: not battery powered

You're in the wrong thread so! ;)

KCross wrote: »
    You're in the wrong thread so! ;)

What thread should I use? - Thanks

Good Lord, how silly of me. Apologies.

Someone should delete my contribution. I don't know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankirish

Last year I left my charging station out all winter. I made sure the 430X was fully charged before I brought it into my shed. Periodically I would let the mower out on the lawn over the winter just to keep the grass level and to not let it get to long for the spring. I probably took it out 4 to 5 times over the course of the winter for 24 hours at a time.

I have an old fish box with a cavity block on top for weight that I use to cover the charging station in the event of heavy snow etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Frankirish wrote: »
    Last year I left my charging station out all winter. I made sure the 430X was fully charged before I brought it into my shed. Periodically I would let the mower out on the lawn over the winter just to keep the grass level and to not let it get to long for the spring. I probably took it out 4 to 5 times over the course of the winter for 24 hours at a time.

I have an old fish box with a cavity block on top for weight that I use to cover the charging station in the event of heavy snow etc.

Thats my next project so ... a cover for the charger for over the winter ! deff will have to run the mower a few times over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Personally, I would leave the connectors as-is out of convenience. If they corrode I would just replace them. If you wanted to save the old ones, you could wrap them in Denso or Bitumen tape to weatherproof them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Personally, I would leave the connectors as-is out of convenience. If they corrode I would just replace them. If you wanted to save the old ones, you could wrap them in Denso or Bitumen tape to weatherproof them.

you cant cut the connectors every year surely you start to run out of wire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/parts-accessories/installation/connector-protection-box/590855001/#

you cant cut the connectors every year surely you start to run out of wire!!

If they corrode I would just replace them.

No one said every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Couple of question to all.
    My husky 430x has a couple of LEDs that are broken on one light.
    I know it's not a functional issue and it won't affect it and it won't get penalty points but wondering if there is any easy way to replace?

Also, what are people doing regarding servicing? I have mine 14 months and have no issues but considering if I should get it officially services (whatever that actually entails). I clean my husky regularly and change blades etc. Just wondering what is the norm and what is typical service cost. Thanks

bauney wrote: »
    Also, what are people doing regarding servicing? I have mine 14 months and have no issues but considering if I should get it officially services (whatever that actually entails). I clean my husky regularly and change blades etc. Just wondering what is the norm and what is typical service cost. Thanks

The service will do very little for you. They will just check the basics, that its running right (spin the motor etc).

The main benefit of the service is to get the firmware updated. You probably wouldnt notice any change if the mower is handling your layout without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

KCross wrote: »
    The service will do very little for you. They will just check the basics, that its running right (spin the motor etc).

The main benefit of the service is to get the firmware updated. You probably wouldnt notice any change if the mower is handling your layout without issue.

Any idea how to replace broken LEDs?

bauney wrote: »
    Any idea how to replace broken LEDs?

I doubt it will be easy. You will need to dismantle the mower to remove the board that the LEDs are on. There might be a youtube disassembly video for your mower that could show you this. Then you will need to desolder out the old LEDs and solder in similar ones. If they are through-hole leds this might not be too difficult a step, but if they are surface mount you will need to be a bit more skilled with the soldering iron.

I am curious, how did they break anyway? I would have thought they would be recessed well into the body of the mower where they couldnt get physically hit. Do you have a photo or more details of the mower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

FYI: The McCulloch ROB 1000 has dropped in price on Amazon to £700
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0Y4IK7/

Advertisement