Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options
1161162163164165167»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd say after seeding and pin it in with the provider plastic stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭SocialSpud

Thanks. My main concern is that I would damage and trample on the new grass as I walk on it and will be on my knees as I peg the wire down etc. Am I overthinking it?

Leave those sections free of seed then put cable down then seed. Probably over thinking it though. You'll sort it 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Managed most of the day, started at 12 and was out 3 or 4 times. Then it started to rain, and down she went...

Dug a wee track with the right wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hi all

Still have not set up my Greenworks mower but plan on doing so soon…

Have a LIDL Parkside one working away so have an idea what needs to be done, but am still stumped on how to wire the narrow strip between relevant lawn areas..So, the initial area to mow is a back area where the charging station will be located but larger area to be mowed is a rectangular front lawn that is fairly straightforward (few trees etc). However, to get from the back lawn area that will be mowed out to the front lawn, the mower will travel along a narrow lawn part at the side of the house that has a laurel hedge and kerb either side of it…Its about a meter wide (at narrowest) and 60 feet long before it opens out into the large front lawn. The instructions state that you should use a Guide Wire (essentially the same wire) in such instances and Splice and Guide Wire connectors are provided.

So you would if I understand it correctly (I probably dont!) create 1 loop on the back lawn into the splice, then run the guide wire out from the splice along the narrow strip into another splice and also bring 2 wires out of the splice to create the front lawn loop….

Its the only way I can see it working…Does that sound feasible and correct??

Would I also have to run the guide wire from the splice back to the base charger I wonder?

Thanks in advance for help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

My understanding of loops and guide wires is that you have ONE loop to be the boundary of the whole area to be mowed, then the guide wire for you would go from the base out through the narrow path to the middle of the far point of the front lawn. This is just my thoughts and I am sure that there are far more experienced users here to help

Guide wire creates 2 loops as its attached to the middle of the big loop. Guide wire can provide power on a non connected cable it needs to be connected at either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Few before & after pics, 2 weeks in.

And around the back:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭amacca

Anyone have any recommendations for outdoor plugs for charging stations out of interest

Not sure I fully understand, sorry..

Are you saying I am correct in my understanding in that I should create an initial loop area for the back area and then run the 2 guide wires into the splice connector and then the guide wire out from this splice through the narrow area to the next area and create another loop using another splice??

Thks

• Advertisement

Plenty on Amazon, haven't purchased yet but lots of reviews etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭denismc

As, the other poster said lots on amazon, you can buy them "unwired" so you can feed the lead through a hole in the wall of your shed or garage and connect them to standard 3 pin socket, its a fairly simple diy job.

Depending on the mower model you will have one or more guide wires, one for the main area and one for your secondary area.

Your loop wire should be continuous going from the base station around the main area, across the passageway around the secondary area, back across the passageway and back to the base station. Where the boundary wire crosses the passage way the outgoing and the return wire need to be at least 1 metre apart. The secondary guide wire goes through the middle of your passage way.

thanks but maybe again i am being stupide…but my marrow area is only a meter wide so its impossibel for them to be that far apart??

I just read the manual for the Greenworks mower and it says that the minimum passage width is 60 cm, it also says that the guide wire needs to be 30 cm from the boundary wire so if the guide wire goes through the middle of your 1m passage then it should work, although if it was me I would try to widen that passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭LubaDriver

Sunshine and mowing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Those stripes are impressive, can they do a centre circle and couple of penalty areas though? 🤣

Advertisement