Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Frankirish wrote: »
    You’re right it sounds dodgy! Is the seller genuine and has the original sales receipt? Does the charging station and transformer come with it? If you answer “No” to any of these questions then I’d stay clear of it as it’s more than likely stolen!!!
    Have to agree, sounds very dodgy, what's reason for sale, if pin was genuinely forgotten I'm sure Husqvarna would resend same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I know this sounds throughly dodgy but bear with me. I'm looking at a Husqvarna Mower that has 'lost' it's PIN code. Can you not get the dealer to look it up for you?

It can be decoded via an encrypted code that displays on the panel and is then decoded by the distributor in Dublin via their software.

They will presumably ask for proof of ownership. At least I’d hope they would!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

They should.

It's their product after all, not in their interest to make them attractive to thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

I know this sounds throughly dodgy but bear with me. I'm looking at a Husqvarna Mower that has 'lost' it's PIN code. Can you not get the dealer to look it up for you?

I’m sure if the seller provides proof of ownership to Husqvarna the pin will be recovered. Otherwise it’s a dead ducky ( as it should be).

If they can’t provide this proof and trying to sell it to you please report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

one stolen in cavan a couple of weeks ago

edit: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=757852534666623&id=201057320346150
    Husqvarna Auto robotic lawnmower, model 330X product number 967168203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ok folks i am going to re lay my boundary wire as i couldn't find the break. can i test the circuit with a 10cm loop before i start (to make sure its not something else).

Also i had the wire buried but the placement wasnt perfect so may surface lay it this time and bury later. what mower height is high enough that it wont chop the wire (flymo 1200r but same as the entry level husqys i think)

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I tested a mower before with a 2m boundary wire loop around it. 10cm should allow you to test the base station alright. But you could also temporally short the two connectors with a pliers, for example, for the same effect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cyrus wrote: »
    ok folks i am going to re lay my boundary wire as i couldn't find the break. can i test the circuit with a 10cm loop before i start (to make sure its not something else).

Also i had the wire buried but the placement wasnt perfect so may surface lay it this time and bury later. what mower height is high enough that it wont chop the wire (flymo 1200r but same as the entry level husqys i think)

thanks all

I thought I had a wire break recently, couldn't find it anywhere though. Took the mower in to the dealer and turned out the charging station had a faulty circuit board or something, there was no problem with the boundary wire. Might be worth checking with dealer before you relay the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Hi, a quick one. If I'm installing a Husky 450X, what height should the grass be, max, at installation?

Hi, a quick one. If I'm installing a Husky 450X, what height should the grass be, max, at installation?

i gave a cut with a push mower to a couple of inches before unleashing husky for the majority.
    was a small area with thin grass at 4 - 5 inches and it got through it after numerous passes - looked hideous for a few days but got it under control.

you should give it a cut for one last horrahhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Starting to look seriously at getting one of these

Still some flower beds and trees to put in so maybe it's too early?

Also the kids really want a dog so id likely need to bury one of those perimeter cables that keep the dog from roaming
    I have got different answers as to whether this dog wire would interfere with the automower perimeter wire

One installer says no bother but another lad says it will
    Has anyone any experience of this in their own set up?

What are people being charged for updates/service by dealers?

septicsac wrote: »
    What are people being charged for updates/service by dealers?
    i was quoted 140 for a update, service and clean a few months ago.
    its going strong (450X). I must check the current software version on it to see if i'm far behind but do not foresee myself parting with 140 this year

Shaunoc wrote: »
    i was quoted 140 for a update, service and clean a few months ago.
    its going strong (450X). I must check the current software version on it to see if i'm far behind but do not foresee myself parting with 140 this year

I paid 150 recently, first update since installed, General clean and check over and new blades, seemed a lot for 150€, but think it has to go for one update within initial 12 months to keep warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

IMHO, that is very expensive. Considering blades are around 10 a penny and only require to unscrew one Philips screw for each. A clean is more work but you dont need to be skilled to do that, it is the same as a normal mower. I doubt that the update software costs the dealer anything such as a subscription or licence, but I could be mistaken. Physically, all they have to do is hook a USB printer cable from the mower to a PC and run the update software.
    They have locked consumers out of performing software updated on the older models themselves, which is a pity.

Agree it is expensive for clean up, new blades and update. Think they check balance of blade holder disk as well, but still quite expensive. Will be checking with Husqvarna re requirements to maintain warranty and doing most of it myself in future if it's OK to and leave with dealer every 2 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

So just have my Husky about 2 years now and absolutely love it.

Have just less than an acre here and Husky has been mowing it quite contently for about 18 months no problems (other than the usual ending up in a flower bed every so often due to inaccurate buried cable)

However then after 18 month strange problems started to occur.

Firstly I had the dreaded "flashing blue" light at the charging station - which was not broken wire or corroded terminals. Dealers brought station back to his shop and it worked fine but refused to work here at our home. With no solution found he just replaced the charging station circuit and all seems ok.

Then about 3 months ago the mower started reporting "connectivity error", just stopping and powering itself down. I would restart it and the same thing would happen about 5 to 10 mins later. When this was reported to the dealer he thought it just needed a firmware update but that didn't work. So now he has just replaced the motherboard on the 450X and still the problem exists.

Anyone else experiencing these "connectivity error" problems and a possible solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I have a remote area of lawn, 20 metres from the main lawn and across a driveway.
    I'm laying two perimeter wires (and a guide wire) to "join" both areas.

Given that I don't want it to mow the area of driveway that the mower will cross, how far apart should I run the perimeter wires?
    The guide wire will presumably be halfway between both. Machine is a 430X.

exaisle wrote: »
    I have a remote area of lawn, 20 metres from the main lawn and across a driveway.
    I'm laying two perimeter wires (and a guide wire) to "join" both areas.

Given that I don't want it to mow the area of driveway that the mower will cross, how far apart should I run the perimeter wires?
    The guide wire will presumably be halfway between both. Machine is a 430X.

i have 2 connected lawns with a 1.5 metre strip (boundary wire running along each) about 4-5 metres in length. Guide wire straight down the middle. Working well enough. I have never seen it trapped in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Zzippy wrote: »
    Cyrus wrote: »

thanks all

I thought I had a wire break recently, couldn't find it anywhere though. Took the mower in to the dealer and turned out the charging station had a faulty circuit board or something, there was no problem with the boundary wire. Might be worth checking with dealer before you relay the whole thing.

I had the same on a 450x after 18 months. PCB replacement required.

Its just over 2 years old and both wheel motors have replaced - one at 15 months, one at 25.

So far all covered under warranty but a pain in the neck having to return the mower/entire unit to the dealer, then wait a week or two for repairs. By the time it's back, the grass is in rag order and it takes 2-3 more weeks to recover. When it's working its great. But I fear the ongoing costs - parts are not cheap. Nor was the mower to begin with ðŸ™

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

Borzoi wrote: »
    I had the same on a 450x after 18 months. PCB replacement required.

Its just over 2 years old and both wheel motors have replaced - one at 15 months, one at 25.

So far all covered under warranty but a pain in the neck having to return the mower/entire unit to the dealer, then wait a week or two for repairs. By the time it's back, the grass is in rag order and it takes 2-3 more weeks to recover. When it's working its great. But I fear the ongoing costs - parts are not cheap. Nor was the mower to begin with ðŸ™

I was just about to post on this subject myself. I've had my 450x since April 2017 and just recently started to experience problems. I'm having some ongoing guide wire issue but not a big deal. However 2 months ago one of the wheel motors went. It was 360 to replace (it did include the annual "service") but got it covered under warranty. I can hear the same grinding sound coming from the other wheel motor so I fear it's on the way out. Also, not a big deal, one of the headlights is dimmer than the other. I'm wondering if it's a loose connection or possibly some water in the electronic. The dealer found a puddle in the base of the mower. Not sure how it got in. He dried it all out but may have been done condensation on the motherboard. I love my mower but worried that once out of warranty it will cost me a fortune to maintain.

Does anyone know what the issue is with the wheel motor? They are brushless so you would think they would last longer than 2 years. I saw somewhere online that others blame the plastic bearings ceasing up. Bad design if that is the case.

Must be the newer models have different wheel system then as I have a 430X and no issue with wheels and its on its 6 season and still on its original battery too!

The main issue I've had is the transformer blowing... twice. Covered under warranty and i've put in a surge protector the last time to see if that helps things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bucky400

Advice needed

Currently looking to purchase automower for what I deem a relatively complex lawn spanning across two properties. Total size is around 2500 meter squared.

Option 1: Husqvarna 430x
    Option 2: Husqvarna 450x

430x meets the 2500 capacity but local dealer believes I could need the 450x because it has 3 guide wires. Also the Husqvarna website says the 430x would be wrorking for 20 hours a day vs 12 hours a day for the 450x. From reading this thread it also seems like the 430x may be more reliable as a few issues reported with the 450x after 18 months use.

Will attach sketch of area once I have enough posts to attach an image (Looks like I cant do that until I have 25+ posts and been a user for 10+ days so if anybody wants to give advice I can send sketch via Private message) and any advice would be welcome regarding which model to choose and whether I need 2 or 3 guide wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimellard182

Ambrogio

Hi anyone have any recommendations good or bad on Ambrogio automowers. My local dealer is telling me Ambrogio definitely the better choice over husqavarna. He can supply both husqavarna and Ambrogio. Looking at Ambrogio 4.0 elite or husqavarna 430x.

Hi anyone have any recommendations good or bad on Ambrogio automowers. My local dealer is telling me Ambrogio definitely the better choice over husqavarna. He can supply both husqavarna and Ambrogio. Looking at Ambrogio 4.0 elite or husqavarna 430x.

I dont know anything about Ambrogio but why does the dealer recommend them over Husqvarna?

If he thinks they're better he should detail the reasons..... or maybe its because he has more margin on them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimellard182

He did give some reasons, better build, free software updates via the app, 6 year warranty and a few others I can't remember now. Just wondering if anyone here has more independent opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lfc1234

I got the Ambrogio 4.0 elite very happy with it.

So just have my Husky about 2 years now and absolutely love it.

Have just less than an acre here and Husky has been mowing it quite contently for about 18 months no problems (other than the usual ending up in a flower bed every so often due to inaccurate buried cable)

However then after 18 month strange problems started to occur.

Firstly I had the dreaded "flashing blue" light at the charging station - which was not broken wire or corroded terminals. Dealers brought station back to his shop and it worked fine but refused to work here at our home. With no solution found he just replaced the charging station circuit and all seems ok.

Then about 3 months ago the mower started reporting "connectivity error", just stopping and powering itself down. I would restart it and the same thing would happen about 5 to 10 mins later. When this was reported to the dealer he thought it just needed a firmware update but that didn't work. So now he has just replaced the motherboard on the 450X and still the problem exists.

Anyone else experiencing these "connectivity error" problems and a possible solution?

SO as an update to this.... seems like the problem is quite common on French and German Husqvarna Automower sites. Much head scratching from dealer... still x appears on communication front panel indicating Automover cannot establish data connection via mobile operator to Huskvarna webservers.

Motherboard is completely new - thought now is that main dealer did not correctly update operator APN URL in APN settings of Automer Connect menu.

Mine is currently set to "husqvarna.tcxn". Could some kind person with a fully working Automower connect Phone app to a 450X please tell me what their machine APN URL is set to? (Vodafone??)

Very frustrating. if you don't have the problem, count your lucky stars, seems like a lot of folks have it around the world.

Also from browsing - I came across this URL -

https://robomaeher.de/blog/iphone-smartphone-app-automower-connect-fuer-automower-330x320-gprs-modul/

very informative - especially the statement.

New: Husqvarna takes over the costs for SIM card and data volume for 10 years:
    As of 2016, the Connect module can already be ordered with a SIM card at no extra cost, the SIM card is provided by Husqvarna and, best of all, the cost of traffic is covered by Husqvarna for the first 10 years after activation of the SIM card. After 10 years, you can take over the contract (conditions not yet known), alternatively you can replace the Husqvarna Sim card with your own SIM card.

The traffic per month amounts to approx. 20-30mB.

SO as an update to this.... seems like the problem is quite common on French and German Husqvarna Automower sites. Much head scratching from dealer... still x appears on communication front panel indicating Automover cannot establish data connection via mobile operator to Huskvarna webservers.

Motherboard is completely new - thought now is that main dealer did not correctly update operator APN URL in APN settings of Automer Connect menu.

Mine is currently set to "husqvarna.tcxn". Could some kind person with a fully working Automower connect Phone app to a 450X please tell me what their machine APN URL is set to? (Vodafone??)

Very frustrating. if you don't have the problem, count your lucky stars, seems like a lot of folks have it around the world.

Also from browsing - I came across this URL -

https://robomaeher.de/blog/iphone-smartphone-app-automower-connect-fuer-automower-330x320-gprs-modul/

very informative - especially the statement.

New: Husqvarna takes over the costs for SIM card and data volume for 10 years:
    As of 2016, the Connect module can already be ordered with a SIM card at no extra cost, the SIM card is provided by Husqvarna and, best of all, the cost of traffic is covered by Husqvarna for the first 10 years after activation of the SIM card. After 10 years, you can take over the contract (conditions not yet known), alternatively you can replace the Husqvarna Sim card with your own SIM card.

The traffic per month amounts to approx. 20-30mB.
    Have you dummies guide to get to that APN thingy and I'll check on mine later

• Advertisement

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Have you dummies guide to get to that APN thingy and I'll check on mine later

Great thanks - here are the steps to see what "APN URL" your Automower is using

After entering PIN code> MENU> ACCESSORIES> AUTOMOWER CONNECT> "Eneter PIN code again" > NETWORK> APN SETTINGS

Advertisement