Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

k mac wrote: »
    Also I have not brought in the base yet. What do ye do with the wires going to the base ?? Just tape them up I presume, can they be damaged if they get damp??

I put them all into an old plastic lunchbox so they wouldn't get wet. There must have been the scent of an old ham sandwich still in it, as my golden retreiver, who ignores the mower, savaged the box, tearing off one of the connectors :mad:
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Also I have not brought in the base yet.

Is there much to lifting the base and bringing it in doors - is it the norm to bring in along with the unit. I like you have a 430x which I'm going to bring in this week. It got stuck to-day because of all the leaves stuck around the rear wheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

On battery
    Was chatting to a fellow who has a Nissan Leaf 5yrs or so... he does notice poorer battery performance in cold weather in terms of less umph and less distance. Guess same applies to robot mowers.

Would a little insulated garage with frost protection be better in the long run rather than disconnecting and bringing inside etc. Something like a little dog kennel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Have brought in my 430x after its first season, gave it a clean and into the garage. Does anyone take off the cover when cleaning

Always, there's a truck more grass cuttings trapped under there I find,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

49801 wrote: »
    On battery
    Was chatting to a fellow who has a Nissan Leaf 5yrs or so... he does notice poorer battery performance in cold weather in terms of less umph and less distance. Guess same applies to robot mowers.

Anything with a Li-ion battery suffers in the exact same way, so yes the robots suffer too but they are not cutting the grass for the winter so it doesnt affect them in reality.
    49801 wrote: »
    Would a little insulated garage with frost protection be better in the long run rather than disconnecting and bringing inside etc. Something like a little dog kennel

Bringing it in is easier and obviously more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

KCross wrote: »
    Anything with a Li-ion battery suffers in the exact same way, so yes the robots suffer too but they are not cutting the grass for the winter so it doesnt affect them in reality.

Bringing it in is easier and obviously more secure.

Most winters the grass doesn't stop growing here. I have to give the husky the odd day out or come spring it will be far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Zzippy wrote: »
    Most winters the grass doesn't stop growing here. I have to give the husky the odd day out or come spring it will be far too long.

Same here. I put it out this year for a dry week in January and brought it back in again for a few months.

Just start at a high cutting height and it manages fine and then drop it down over a few weeks. A bit patchy for a few days and then all is well!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

KCross wrote: »
    ...Bringing it in is easier and obviously more secure.

More secure inside yes but when it's powered off it can no longer be located by GPS if it is stolen !

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Alfie1 wrote: »
    More secure inside yes but when it's powered off it can no longer be located by GPS if it is stolen !

it should be covered under home insurance if you specify the item on your policy.
    as its indoors.
    dbl check on your policy.
    I'm with Allianz and they have cover for indoors (locked house / shed).
    i don't know take a picture to prove you have it inside with todays newspaper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Anyone see any good deals for Black Friday,.

I have a 100 meter square garden and keeping an eye out for a suitable machine.

The only one I can find on offer on Amazon is this one.

Anyone know if Yard Force is any good.

Trouble is they don't deliver to Ireland so not sure if there is a way around that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KXLM1CF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Barr wrote: »

Trouble is they don't deliver to Ireland so not sure if there is a way around that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KXLM1CF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I got a Yard Force SA600H (I installed it in September, was out and about for about 4 weeks, very happy with it so far. Now safely tucked away under the bed in the spare bed room as grass is all squishy anyway. Will bring it back out for some runs when (if) everything dries out a bit).
    I got it here:
    https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/lawn-and-pool-robots/lawn-mowing-robots

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

The Yard Force AMIRO400 is £244.83 in the Amazon Warehouse. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07KXLM1CF//

You could use one of the parcel services to get it delivered to Ireland. Like parcel motel, addresspal, etc.

Alternatively, the Flymo 1200r is £394.32 in the Amazon Warehouse. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00C70LUQ4//

Thanks , they both look value to be fair .

I have used Parcel Wizard before so may give them a try.

Would Flymo be considered a better brand or is it a muchness between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the flymo is a rebodied husqvarna if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Thanks , they both look value to be fair .

I have used Parcel Wizard before so may give them a try.

Would Flymo be considered a better brand or is it a muchness between the two.

Sorry, I dont know the Yard Force one to comment on it. As Cyrus mentioned the flymo is a rebadged Husqvarna 105 along with a few other brands and models like Gardena. I have the flymo myself and find its grand, no major issues.

Cyrus wrote: »
    the flymo is a rebodied husqvarna if that helps

I've no idea whether that is a good or a bad thing to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Worx m700 down to £549 on amazon.co.uk, I'm raging because I bought last week at £650 when it was reduced from £850. Was onto amazon this morning and they won't refund difference unless I return the order and buy again

Had to order through addresspal to get it delivered over from the uk due to the battery, could get complicated trying to return it so I'm probably s.o.l., plus my credit card is maxxed after black Friday so I can't afford to buy another one and return the first :-P

Oh well, seems like a good offer all the same

Tails142 wrote: »
    Worx m700 down to £549 on amazon.co.uk, I'm raging because I bought last week at £650 when it was reduced from £850. Was onto amazon this morning and they won't refund difference unless I return the order and buy again

Had to order through addresspal to get it delivered over from the uk due to the battery, could get complicated trying to return it so I'm probably s.o.l., plus my credit card is maxxed after black Friday so I can't afford to buy another one and return the first :-P

Oh well, seems like a good offer all the same

Was it expensive through addresspal ? I was thinking going this route as well for a Yard Force via Amazon . Any issues with size , weight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

Weighed 17kg, they charged €13.49 for a home delivery

Tails142 wrote: »
    Weighed 17kg, they charged €13.49 for a home delivery

Not bad at all.

I've seem those Worx for sale in B&Q , not sure how much they are tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭k mac

Have the mower brought in and cleaned with a few weeks but only getting round to bringing in the base now. What does everyone do just tape up the cables?? If water gets into them can they be damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Finially after a year of thinking about it, I bit the bullet and bought the 430x moments ago from Germany at €2450.

Great deal for it.

Looking forward to a lazier summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

McCullogh ROB 1000 down to £549 on Amazon in Lightning sale today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0Y4IK7/

Hope this is good value as just bit the bullet with Addresspal delivery.

My garden is probably a little over the 1000m2 - should I be OK with this model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

So my ebay seller cancelled the order on me,, But I'm actually delighted they did.

I wanted to go with GPL from the get go but they were 300 more than the ebay one i found.

I missed the 430X Black Friday deal but chatted with them, they were very nice and actually dropped the price to 2400 from 2890.

Shipping is free and their support is top notch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

McCulloch ROB 1000 down to £569.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0Y4IK7

Cheapest it's been since March

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=428&h=256&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

It’s a Flymo 1200r with a body kit though so still relatively expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

The Flymo only does up to 400m2 and the McCulloch does up to 1000m2 though.

Pique wrote: »
    The Flymo only does up to 400m2 and the McCulloch does up to 1000m2 though.

itll be a bigger battery buts its a consideration depending on garden size for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankirish

Have brought in my 430x after its first season, gave it a clean and into the garage. Does anyone take off the cover when cleaning, I just used a brush and cleaned what I could , worst was the mushed leaves around the wheels. I have heard people say they try to bring there mowers into the house as the battery will last longer but I don't know only place I will get it in is the attic and its a bit awkward for up there.
    Also I have not brought in the base yet. What do ye do with the wires going to the base ?? Just tape them up I presume, can they be damaged if they get damp??

Yes, take off the cover, it's just a matter of lifting the corners/pulling upwards one at a time, the top is connected to 4 joysticks. you can still leave the cables connected, just be careful that you don't over stretch them. You'll see there is a build up of grass under the cover and around the joystick areas. I added the wheel brush kit to my mower back in October and to be honest it makes a difference when cleaning, it actually stops a lot of the grass from building up on the rear/drive wheels and making it's way under the top cover. Hopefully it will do the same during the heavy growth season.

I bring my mower into my shed when it's fully charged. I switch off the power switch underneath adjacent to the carrier handle. I leave the docking station out all year round. I just cover it with a plastic fish box and add a concrete block on top of it to stop it blowing away. The box is just to protect the base unit from any potential snow from building up on it. I switch off/plug out the base unit when not in use.

I prefer to leave it out as I let the mower out for a 24-36hr continous run ever 3-4 weeks just to keep the lawn even. I normally let the blades up to setting 5 or 6 for the winter cuts.

Advertisement