Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING:Risk Of Disruption,High Ground Snow/Ice Likely For Northern Regions, Sat/Sun.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Done this up to highlight the RISK
    I'm not discounting low level snow, good chance too but unsure if it would be much. Ice will be a problem.

192968.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

^^^^^^^^^^^
    One of those arrows literately points at my house:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

hmmm the thread title is very conservative. I prefer my threads with the icon4.gif. Much more dramatic and accurate.

EDIT by Redsunset
    You had Saturday-Snow Showers as thread title in your one. Nothing too dramatic bout that. This one has been adjusted to suit guidance in somewhat reliable time frame. No point in going off the rails just for the sake of creating excitement. This is not a competition to see who can come up with the best cinema title.

Met Eireann have upgrade the risk this morning of snow falling to lower levels too, so a stronger warning is issued here in thread title.

Saturday : Rain will continue to clear all parts by late morning or early afternoon, with sunny spells developing. Scattered showers will occur, mainly in developing. Scattered showers will occur, mainly in Ulster, Connacht and west Munster, some of hail, with a risk of thunder. It will turn very cold, with an increasing risk of wintry showers of sleet or snow on hills, but possibly at lower levels on Saturday night. Max. daytime temperatures 5 to 9 Celsius, with moderate to fresh, west to northwest winds, easing overnight. widespread frost overnight, with a risk of icy stretches. Min. 0 to minus 2 C. Some fog also, as winds slacken.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

still no severe weather warning on the northern ireland forecast

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

A lot colder than of late with wintry showers and strong winds, especially on Saturday with some snow to low levels. Wet and windy weather returning on Monday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_radar.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Interesting overnight runs with the big 3 all showing -8 uppers over much of the country by Sunday.

That's fine, but they are saying some snow to lower levels too. What would it be like higher then. Could be blizzard like at times in heavy bursts with fresh winds. All that is being done on this end is to highlight the risk and that is all it is at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

I know its not the same when you have no snow on low levels but if you do get the opportunity to wonder into the mountains you will be grateful you did. The last period of snow I had there was nothing but wet surfaces in town, you wouldn't believe there was snow anywhere but up the mountain at only 350m it was awesome with many drifts above the knee.

Anyway I hope you guys get to see a good snow fall before this winters end, take pictures for us if you get any

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Interesting overnight runs with the big 3 all showing -8 uppers over much of the country by Sunday.

Should ensure a nice frost in Waterford on Sunday morning Mick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

maw368 wrote: »
    I know its not the same when you have no snow on low levels but if you do get the opportunity to wonder into the mountains you will be grateful you did. The last period of snow I had there was nothing but wet surfaces in town, you wouldn't believe there was snow anywhere but up the mountain at only 350m it was awesome with many drifts above the knee.

Anyway I hope you guys get to see a good snow fall before this winters end, take pictures for us if you get any

Sorry, a bit OT, but following this point, if this weekend (or some other time) there is a higher ground snow event including munster, where would be a good and safe place you could drive to with kids to show them the snow etc? Stupid question probably but can you drive partially up the Galtees, the Comeraghs, the Cork/Kerry border mountains, etc and, if so, would that be a stupid thing to do? My little fellas is as mad about snow as me so if there was snow that we could go to within an hours drive or so (from Cork City) I'd happily make the excursion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

maw368 wrote: »

Sorry, a bit OT, but following this point, if this weekend (or some other time) there is a higher ground snow event including munster, where would be a good and safe place you could drive to with kids to show them the snow etc? Stupid question probably but can you drive partially up the Galtees, the Comeraghs, the Cork/Kerry border mountains, etc and, if so, would that be a stupid thing to do? My little fellas is as mad about snow as me so if there was snow that we could go to within an hours drive or so (from Cork City) I'd happily make the excursion.
    Head out to macroom,take a left before the town heading for inchigeelagh but turn for kilmichael at tooms bridge instead of inchigeelagh.It gets very mountainy up that direction.

Alternatively take the road for millstreet out of macroom(turn right at the top edge of town watch for the sign,instead of continuing towards killarney) .
    Just north of carriginima (a tiny village with 1 school,a pub and church) take a road west and head in the direction of the mullaghanish rte transmitter.
    Loads of other options that I'm sure the locals will post on.
    Bring food,blankets,drinks,a few flasks of tea,2 charged phones (leave 1 off unless you need it),have a 4wd with a full tank and tell people where you are going and when to expect you back.
    Mobile Reception will be flakey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is it likely to get that far south, or will they peter out as they move down the country? What's the chances of the Wicklow Mountains getting snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Is it likely to get that far south, or will they peter out as they move down the country? What's the chances of the Wicklow Mountains getting snow?
    Its a northwesterly so yes west Munster is in the firing line for showers.
    Less likely to have showers on the Wicklow mtns than down in west cork.
    Its lake effect showers caused by cold air moving over the Atlantic this time so proximity to the Atlantic matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Macy0161 wrote: »

Was going to ask this myself I planned to attend a stargazing session organised for Saturday night up the Wicklow mountains. I take it we only need to worry about ice on the roads and not snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Calibos wrote: »
    Was going to ask this myself I planned to attend a stargazing session organised for Saturday night up the Wicklow mountains. I take it we only need to worry about ice on the roads and not snow.

I don't think you could rule it out by any means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There'll probably be a few light showers in Wicklow but coming across the whole country obviously they won't be as heavy as on the north & west coasts

Seen quite a bit of snow in the hills here this winter so haven't been too excited about this set up but it'd be nice to get a covering here in the town, haven't seen a single flake fall here since the storm on December 13th. Should be some nice squally showers about regardless of what they happen to fall as so an interesting day of weather ahead at long last

• Site Banned Posts: 22 frogcheese

let it snowwwww HO HO HO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

I've got to be up in Roundwood 19:00 to possibly 22:00 on Saturday - bad idea? I don't mind light snow, cold or ice, but would rather not have to trek home through a few cm's of snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hopefully doesnt snow too much around Athlone. Big golf match on Sunday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I can guarantee we won't see any snow down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I can't believe my name is associated with the thread title :eek::o

Maybe a tad OTT! I didn't write it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I know this is off topic but,when i am on the main page for the weather forem it is showing unwritten posts in every forem but when i click and go inside there are no new messages, is anyone else experencing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

ZX7R wrote: »
    I know this is off topic but,when i am on the main page for the weather forem it is showing unwritten posts in every forem but when i click and go inside there are no new messages, is anyone else experencing this?[

Ya sometimes. Probably a glitch in the boards system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

We need to be on the lookout for an organised comma system or even a polar low moving down from the north during Saturday night. Scotland or northern England would probably be more in line but it could affect Ulster too for a time. The models aren't showing it at the moment but I reckon a satellite watch could be a good idea during Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Su Campu wrote: »
    We need to be on the lookout for an organised comma system or even a polar low moving down from the north during Saturday night. Scotland or northern England would probably be more in line but it could affect Ulster too for a time. The models aren't showing it at the moment but I reckon a satellite watch could be a good idea during Saturday.
    That means some windy weather corect su, how far inland would yoy expect it to track

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

g0g wrote: »
    I've got to be up in Roundwood 19:00 to possibly 22:00 on Saturday - bad idea? I don't mind light snow, cold or ice, but would rather not have to trek home through a few cm's of snow!

Snow is the very last thing you should worry about! :cool:

ZX7R wrote: »
    That means some windy weather corect su, how far inland would yoy expect it to track

Well probably not that windy but an organised band of showery precipitation, which would probably fall as snow in the north (but more likely Scotland). Upper charts show the vort max driving force for this strongest over Scotland.

On IR satellite imagery we should see a clear slot behind the frontal cloudband, then showers getting into the north. Behind these we should see larger bright enhanced cumuli forming a cluster as it heads southeastwards. Watch for that during the afternoon and evening. This band of showers would survive longer over land due to the upper forcing, but it could be that Scotland and down through northern England gets the fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Met Eireann says:
    Saturday : Rain will continue to clear all parts by late morning or early afternoon, with sunny spells developing. Scattered showers will occur, mainly in Ulster, Connacht and west Munster, some of hail, with a risk of thunder. It will turn very cold, with an increasing risk of wintry showers of sleet or snow on hills, but possibly at lower levels on Saturday night. Max. daytime temperatures 5 to 9 Celsius, with moderate to fresh, west to northwest winds, easing overnight. widespread frost overnight, with a risk of icy stretches. Min. 0 to minus 2 C. Some fog also, as winds slacken.

Note "very cold" is maxima of 5 to 9C (seasonal average) and a "risk" of icy stretches as temps plummet to a Siberian 0C to maybe even....-2C :eek:

So...some ice on your car and if you're really lucky a bit of frozen graupel for a few hours overnight.

I'm, like, soooo excited :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

I can't believe my name is associated with the thread title :eek::o

Maybe a tad OTT! I didn't write it!

Really?? Whose thread are we following then:confused:?

• Advertisement

Really?? Whose thread are we following then:confused:?

The title was changed by another moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement