Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Tuesday/Wednesday (5/6 January 2010)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    thanks deep. was just gonna post asking you how heavy it was. All i got at the moment is high cloud approaching from the north. It looks to be coming directly at me in a S or SSW flow. Keep us posted on how things are in Choooom

No probs Wolf. The shower came in very quick. I was watching an anvil head to the far north while walking around town but did not think much. By the time I got back home the shower was beginning to hit. I am still shocked at how rapidly it moved in. :)

Visibility is now very much reduced. A sure sign the snow is intensifying :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

extremely heavy snowfall here!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

so the snow has slapped me hard in the face for my turning my back on it and being so negative. if this is what happens when i throw a rant i think i'll do it more often:pac:
    It worked for BB before as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001051245&sat=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thanks Nachs. I think it is the same shower you are getting, getting seriously heavy now!

yep i instructed it to go down to you without breaking up. let's hope it makes it as far south as possible without dying so others get it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Turned very heavy here now for the last 15mins or so, proper big flakes everything is white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Su Campu wrote: »
    Near whiteout at Knock airport, visibility 250 moters in snow, broken clouds clouds at 200ft

Met Eireann were absolutely bang on with their forecast of snow mainly being in the NW.

Will be interesting to see what comes in from the Irish Sea tonight. Precip does look confined to costal counties though, I cannot see showers getting far beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

yep i instructed it to go down to you without breaking up. as let's hope it makes it as far south as possible without dying so other get it too.

Good man. Save some for us too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Still bright and sunny in D3 :(

there is nearly an inch of snow lieing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eireanbo

anyone no what the roads are like to longford did it get any snow have to drive there tonite from wexford...no snow down here today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Proper heavy snow for last 20 mins, at least 1 cm now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

If you looked at the sky out the window here in Rathmines you would think it was the middle of summer - Clear blue sunny skies

Total white out conditions here now. This is the real thing! :D Everything turning white with very dark sky and very much reduced viability. Absolutely magnificent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Certainly going to slip by here anyway.

We're getting darker here. Huge dark cloud just off the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If you looked at the sky out the window here in Rathmines you would think it was the middle of summer - Clear blue sunny skies

same in kilkenny, the frost on the grass has thawed in the sun

Precip going to hit Galway City within a half hour. I hope it's the white stuff for you.
    http://www.sat24.com/image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001051300&sat=

Total white out conditions here now. This is the real thing! :D Everything turning white with very dark sky and very much reduced viability. Absolutely magnificent!
    pics Deep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The precipitation seems to be dying out just as it approaches the east coast (that last shower for Dublin is an example)

With a northwest wind at Dublin airport and a temperature of -2°C, I would imagine this cold air is killing off the warm inflow a few miles offshore. We'll need those stronger northeasterly winds later for things to change

Looks from the radar like some showers may hit Dublin soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Pangea wrote: »
    We are too busy enjoying the snow , we forgot to look at the radars :pac::pac:
    Sweet!!

Just left college to get the 1pm bus to Donegal, Cancelled Grrrr!
    No how am I going to get home to enjoy this nice snow!!

just going to have to wait to see can be get home at 3..
    Bus Eireann you b*****ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A few flakes starting to fall & the sky is looking v. promising :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Looks from the radar like some showers may hit Dublin soon enough

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

The wind will push those toward Wales :(

We have one hope, thats snow showers moving down from Scotland. Which wont arrive until very late tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Precip going to hit Galway City within a half hour. I hope it's the white stuff for you.

beginning to snow in galway city:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

when are the winds expected to turn NE?

pics Deep!

My hands are too cold + I am shaking with excitement. but will do my best!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

clouding over now in South Galway, may just get some snow soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

pissed off with all these anti climaxes keep hearing about. Thought we were goin wake up to some snow this morning but nothing and we prob wont see any today or tonight either. All this cold weather and only 1 day of snow (new years day) pisses me right off:mad:

..........rant over, thanks for listening:o

Fionagus wrote: »
    A few flakes starting to fall & the sky is looking v. promising :D:D:D

From Tuam, with love... ;):D

IvySlayer wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

The wind will push those toward Wales :(

We have one hope, thats snow showers moving down from Scotland. Which wont arrive until very late tonight.

:(:(:(

Can only hope that gale warning holds true for later so !

nifheorais wrote: »
    beginning to snow in galway city:D
    looks like its dying as it spreads south. West Clare and extreme west kerry are going to see the last of it and it will be much lighter by then.

0.5c here. cloud cover increasing. NE breeze.

• Advertisement

JonnyM wrote: »
    pissed off with all these anti climaxes keep hearing about. Thought we were goin wake up to some snow this morning but nothing and we prob wont see any today or tonight either. All this cold weather and only 1 day of snow (new years day) pisses me right off:mad:

..........rant over, thanks for listening:o

i hope it works for you too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

very heavy snow here south mayo, north galway/ conemmara. near white out. when is this shannon radar going to be back online?

Oh yeah it will be snow, no doubt! No thawing here today yet, and had a few nice flakes already 5-10m ago. The real deal is coming too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Not holding my breath for the east at the moment, looking very sunny here... think we got our bucket load on new years and that's it!

looks like its dying as it spreads south. West Clare and extreme west kerry are going to see the last of it and it will be much lighter by then.

0.5c here. cloud cover increasing. NE breeze.

sorry to hear that WolfeIRE.:(

Snow getting much lighter now again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jenzz wrote: »
    when are the winds expected to turn NE?

Later. :o

Although looking at http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ wind has gone NNE at the IOM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Stopped in south sligo for now and left about an inch behind. The ground and grass has been white here since December 19th.

snaps wrote: »
    when is this shannon radar going to be back online?

Probably when we don't need it (as usual)

Snow getting much lighter now again.

same here. it got lighter over the last 10 minutes. there is a decent covering now. so if that's all there is so be it. it was brilliant to see heavy snow reducing visibility. i've not seen snow like that for a good while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I do hope we get a decent covering tonight or tomorrow. Navan has missed out a lot during this cold spell. Just 2 small dustings in 2 weeks that don't even last the day
    Gonzo wrote: »
    from post in other thread

''Can anyone hazard a guess if it's likely to snow Navan/Dunshauglin area with these coming bands? Took me 3 hours to drive from Navan to Blanchardstown this morning and i'd like to determine if i should head home early today and what conditions are likely tomorrow? Cheer!''

Unlikely to see further snow in Dunshaughlin/Navan for most of today, maybe a chance of some snow showers later 2night and 2moro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Galwy are currently experiencing SNOW ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

The snow that fell last night in Wset Dublin (1.5 cm) really enhanced things. Total whiteout in Castleknock/Clonsila with snow and ice everywhere from cars to all roads etc. No thaw either.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

From Tuam, with love... ;):D
    Proper snow falling now and the sky is very dark to the north
    Thanks for sharing guys :D:D:D:D:D

There'll be No work done here today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Fionagus wrote: »
    Proper snow falling now and the sky is very dark to the north
    Thanks for sharing guys :D:D:D:D:D

There'll be No work done here today!!

Share it over here to the east yous greedy buggers!!! :P

same here. it got lighter over the last 10 minutes. there is a decent covering now. so if that's all there is so be it. it was brilliant to see heavy snow reducing visibility. i've not seen snow like that for a good while.

Getting another thick blasht of it here now. Seriously fecking heavy now. Probably what you got about 15mins ago Nacho. Near fog conditions too. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

ffarrell wrote: »
    The snow that fell last night in Wset Dublin (1.5 cm) really enhanced things. Total whiteout in Castleknock/Clonsila with snow and ice everywhere from cars to all roads etc. No thaw either.:D

But would love to have more, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

just started snowing here, looks like the proper dry type also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

seems more heading south from sligo?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, now that's what I call a proper snowing :)
    Not heavy yet, but certainly mid-strength :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement