Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Depresses the hell out of me there are so few retweets of that.

Everybody knows the 1% are deliberately crashing the economy to avoid paying tax on the billions they already own and they make another 8 billion on vulnerable people's misery when sterling tanks.

Now they need a war to distract while the clock is counting down. What's the betting the UK will go to war before October 31st if parliament go back? To keep the house distracted?

We are watching a stand off between what money can buy (and that includes the monarchy who have Cayman Island accounts to protect as well) and the actual democratic process in the UK.

You would hope the people win, but so far it seems the money is winning.

A war before Brexit deadline day? Against who and what reason would be given for such an act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrankPoll.

A war before Brexit deadline day? Against who and what reason would be given for such an act?

Wmds

45 mins from a missile strike

They just make sh1t up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Sophie Ridge (Sky) is actually tweeting this like it is news.

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1175676131175030784

This was pointed out three years ago. Its the fundamental reason we have the backstop ffs.

Sometimes journalists ask "stupid" questions to elicit a clear policy position for the dozy public, something being known for three years means it's long since drifted off into the stupefying ether of the UK's domestic politics where Ireland is seen little and heard even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    I really don't like this terminology, friendship aside, we are not and have never been an ally of the UK. We are a non-aligned country, we are not allies of the UK in NATO or any other alliance.

Ally....partner....we're splitting hairs here. The GFA has a whole section on promoting UK - Ireland relations. The close links between the two countries are obvious : the CTA, the two countries shared the same currency for 50 years, citizens can vote in the other's general elections etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Strazdas wrote: »
    Ally....partner....we're splitting hairs here. The GFA has a whole section on promoting UK - Ireland relations. The close links between the two countries are obvious : the CTA, the two countries shared the same currency for 50 years, citizens can vote in the other's general elections etc

Yes we have close links, but we are specifically not allies, and more broadly the trend in Irish/British relations is one of increasing divergance over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Yes we have close links, but we are specifically not allies, and more broadly the trend in Irish/British relations is one of increasing divergance over time.

I would argue they were moving closer together in the period 2011-16 : the Queen's visit, the President's state visit to the UK three years later. UK / Irish trade lessening over time is a separate matter.

The referendum result threw a massive spanner in the works and has soured everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,696 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

From the previous thread:

It's easy to forget that 5 years ago, there was no hope of ever leaving the EU in the minds of many, that's why they didn't think about it.
    Now they've been given hope, a referendum and a favorable result that shows a majority (of voters) want to leave, now they want it to happen.

That is not "brainwashing", it's a suppressed aspiration that now has a real possibility of happening. So it's foremost in their minds and they want it done.
    Well, possibly. But very few of them seem to have given any thought to how it might be done, and very few seem at all bothered by the fact that the opportunity to do it is being squandered by the shambolic incompetence of the political leadership of the Brexit movement.

It seems to that the Brexit movement is still largely fuelled by wishful thinking, rather than an engagement with reality. We probably all engage in a bit of wishful thinking when all other avenues are closed to us, and we find it consoling. But to prefer wishful thinking when you actually have a real chance to achieve something you claim to want, to sabotage your own position in this way, is just . . . well, a bit disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,696 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I would argue they were moving closer together in the period 2011-16 : the Queen's visit, the President's state visit to the UK three years later. UK / Irish trade lessening over time is a separate matter.
    I wouldn't see those things as evidence of the UK and Ireland "moving together", but as evidence of them normalising their relationship as independent sovereign states.
    The referendum result threw a massive spanner in the works and has soured everything.
    Yes.

fash wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DPhinnemore/status/1175832293363126273
    More "project fear for you but not for me".

That tweet has aroused more anti-British sentiment in me than living on the border for twenty years surrounded by two families full of Ra heads did. Didn't expect to ever feel this way.

Giving them the option to revoke unilaterally was a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭prunudo

It's already started to play out, not war but military action.
    http://news.sky.com/story/saudi-arabia-drone-attacks-johnson-refuses-to-rule-out-military-action-11817540

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

prunudo wrote: »

He's hardly going to have a Blair moment of is own?

I'd like to think Parliamentarians(if they are recalled) won't be duped into wasting time in the house on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭prunudo

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    He's hardly going to have a Blair moment of is own?

I'd like to think Parliamentarians(if they are recalled) won't be duped into wasting time in the house on this.

No, but its another distraction, take peoples mind away from constant Brexit news in the media. Also portrays them to the little Englander brexiteers as the big super power of the world like the old days telling the bold foreign countries to behave.

On another note, Thomas Cook ceasing to trade
    while not directly Brexit related, it is a timely warning. The collapse of big well known companies and the effects it has on the general public could become more common should the UK government contuine on a no deal path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Against us for being big bad bullies and not allowing them to leave on their terms, etc, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

prunudo wrote: »
    No, but its another distraction, take peoples mind away from constant Brexit news in the media. Also portrays them as the big super power of the world like the old days telling the bold foreign countries to behave.

On another note, Thomas Cook ceasing to trade
    while not directly Brexit related, it is a timely warning. The collapse of big well known companies and the effects it has on the general public could become more common should the UK government contuine on a no deal path.

They did actually warn 4 months ago that Brexit was causing them problems - it was roundly derided by the pro-Brexiteers as a failing business using Brexit as an excuse.
    Though you'd have to acknowledge that travel agencies selling packages have struggled in the internet era.
    Brexit may well have tipped them over the edge though, speeding up what may have been a slower and more controlled end-game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Corbyn waffling in an interview. Well, I guess not waffling - he's always been anti-EU. This is one major reason this Brexit farce has gone on as long as it has - an opposition leader failing to oppose.

https://www.politico.eu/article/corbyn-brexit-uk-better-off-outside-eu-with-right-deal/

• Advertisement

Corbyn not even expressing an opinion

How anyone could vote for Him..

Boris just as bad with the no-deal charade

What is the the point of wasting everybody's time and airtime with the no deal nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

FrankPoll. wrote: »
    Corbyn not even expressing an opinion

How anyone could vote for Him..

Boris just as bad with the no-deal charade

What is the the point of wasting everybody's time and airtime with the no deal nonsense

No Boris is not 'just as bad' - Boris is infinitely worse.

Labour are not responsible for Brexit. Labour are not responsible for 'no deal'. Labour are not responsible for the illegal suspension of Parliament.

Labour are in opposition. While it can be better to be clear on policy - it is their prerogative not to be. I would argue though that the Labour position is perfectly clear. Vote for us and you get another referendum. They are offering a democratic route to revocation of A50. What else is it that people want? They are not in government.

This attempt to paint a picture where Corbyn is in someway responsible in a manner that exceeds this current line of Tory disaster capitalists is reprehensible and mindless to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

They did actually warn 4 months ago that Brexit was causing them problems - it was roundly derided by the pro-Brexiteers as a failing business using Brexit as an excuse.

I have heard the same about British Steel, and I expect to hear it about more UK businesses - a lot more if Brexit ever happens.

Toyota, Airbus, Nissan, Mini - we will be hearing for many years that these businesses were all badly run by foreigners and deserved what they got when Brexit hits them.

lawred2 wrote: »
    This attempt to paint a picture where Corbyn is in someway responsible in a manner that exceeds this current line of Tory disaster capitalists is reprehensible and mindless to me.

Reprehensible, yes, but it isn't mindless. Clever people with very deep pockets are funding the relentless drumbeat that everything is Corbyn's fault.

My post went from Corbyn not expressing an opinion to being blamed for everything

• Advertisement

Reprehensible, yes, but it isn't mindless. Clever people with very deep pockets are funding the relentless drumbeat that everything is Corbyn's fault.

it's mindless from the drones that parrot it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My post went from Corbyn not expressing an opinion to being blamed for everything

You said Boris was "Just as bad" as Corbyn. Which is wrong, because Corbyn has been in opposition since before Brexit got started, so he has not been in charge of a single one of the disastrous decisions taken by the UK Government.

Personally, I would have been happier with a robust supporter of the EU as leader of the opposition, and Corbyn clearly isn't a fan. But that does not make any of this his fault.

And since the Tories started imploding, he has made several good moves, and is now offering a route to a 2nd Referendum with a revoke A50 option, exactly what the People's Vote folks have been looking for.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another tweet which should frighten those in the UK who like the separation of the government and judiciary...
    https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1175865988551716864

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

As a Leader of the Opposition in a time of crisis, Corbyn is useless. His political ideology is at variance with most party voters and the large majority of the British public. His position on Brexit is at variance with party members and most MPs. He remains a charisma free zone. He has dithered and prevaricated on Brexit (probably deliberately so) to the point where nobody can say what Labour's position is on Brexit. Even if there were a definitive position, it would change tomorrow. His failure to lead throughout the Brexit fiasco is a disgrace. It is no wonder that his approval rating have been consistently dire despite the dreadful performances of May and Johnson. He is the Tory party's best friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

In another ironic twist of some sort, Thomas Cook has ceased operations taking with it thousands of jobs. They warned that Brexit was playing a role but were told not to blame Brexit for the poor running of the company. Those passengers now affected by the closure will have some degree of cover thanks to the EU and the regulations they have put in place for this exact scenario.

What is baffling to me is that people would still think Brexit is a good idea, even after countless examples of the good the EU has done for people in the UK.

Enzokk wrote: »
    In another ironic twist of some sort, Thomas Cook has ceased operations taking with it thousands of jobs. They warned that Brexit was playing a role but were told not to blame Brexit for the poor running of the company. Those passengers now affected by the closure will have some degree of cover thanks to the EU and the regulations they have put in place for this exact scenario.

What is baffling to me is that people would still think Brexit is a good idea, even after countless examples of the good the EU has done for people in the UK.

They have been fed lies by the Tory press for decades. It's akin to a religion at this stage.

You said Boris was "Just as bad" as Corbyn. Which is wrong, because Corbyn has been in opposition since before Brexit got started, so he has not been in charge of a single one of the disastrous decisions taken by the UK Government.

Personally, I would have been happier with a robust supporter of the EU as leader of the opposition, and Corbyn clearly isn't a fan. But that does not make any of this his fault.

And since the Tories started imploding, he has made several good moves, and is now offering a route to a 2nd Referendum with a revoke A50 option, exactly what the People's Vote folks have been looking for.

I phrased it badly, it's hard to take him seriously when he sits on the fence

All this alleged blame on corbyn is like a reverse conspiracy theory

I phrased it badly, it's hard to take him seriously when he sits on the fence

All this alleged blame on corbyn is like a reverse conspiracy theory

you'll admit that that's a long way from Boris being almost as bad as him...

lawred2 wrote: »
    you'll admit that that's a long way from Boris being almost as bad as him...

Well they're both clowning around with brexit

Is any of the disaster capitalist theories applied to bj proven

• Advertisement

As a Leader of the Opposition in a time of crisis, Corbyn is useless. His political ideology is at variance with most party voters and the large majority of the British public. His position on Brexit is at variance with party members and most MPs. He remains a charisma free zone. He has dithered and prevaricated on Brexit (probably deliberately so) to the point where nobody can say what Labour's position is on Brexit. Even if there were a definitive position, it would change tomorrow. His failure to lead throughout the Brexit fiasco is a disgrace. It is no wonder that his approval rating have been consistently dire despite the dreadful performances of May and Johnson. He is the Tory party's best friend.

I understand that you don't like him, I am not a fan myself, but Brexit is not his fault.

He could have been winning medals for leadership and charisma since the referendum and Brexit would have proceeded in exactly the way, because Corbyn has not been in charge. The only real measure of his leadership since then was the 2017 election, where he ran a good campaign and outperformed the polls robbing May of her majority.

Since Boris lost control, Corbyn has acted sensibly to block No Deal and he has adopted a policy which gives a route to Remain if that is what the electorate want, or a softer Labour Brexit if Leave wins the next referendum which it may well do.

You should perhaps consider that you are influenced in your personal dislike for the man by the relentless media hate campaign against him, a campaign which attacks every Labour leader, but is even more intensely anti-Corbyn because even the weakly left wing media like the Guardian are captured by the Blairites and hate Corbyn too.

Well they're both clowning around with brexit

Is any of the disaster capitalist theories applied to bj proven

There are proven "disaster capitalist theories" about Brexiteer politicians. And Johnson is the Brexiteers' favourite glove puppet.

I understand that you don't like him, I am not a fan myself, but Brexit is not his fault.

He could have been winning medals for leadership and charisma since the referendum and Brexit would have proceeded in exactly the way, because Corbyn has not been in charge. The only real measure of his leadership since then was the 2017 election, where he ran a good campaign and outperformed the polls robbing May of her majority.

Since Boris lost control, Corbyn has acted sensibly to block No Deal and he has adopted a policy which gives a route to Remain if that is what the electorate want, or a softer Labour Brexit if Leave wins the next referendum which it may well do.

You should perhaps consider that you are influenced in your personal dislike for the man by the relentless media hate campaign against him, a campaign which attacks every Labour leader, but is even more intensely anti-Corbyn because even the weakly left wing media like the Guardian are captured by the Blairites and hate Corbyn too.

I'm considerably more nuanced than you might think I am. You can blame the media but that's an easy way out. Johnson gets a much harder time than Corbyn in The Guardian, The Mirror, The New Statesman and The Independent. Similarly, most interviewers and reporters on Channel 4, BBC and Sky lean towards Remain and consequently tend to challenge Johnson more than Corbyn.

The Tory media have hammered Corbyn. That's down to their obvious bias but he's also given them a lot of ammunition. In leadership, personality matters. Johnson is infinitely more charismatic than Corbyn and that matters greatly. That's not how it should be but it's how it is. As it happens, I think that Corbyn is a man of deep integrity. His problem is his demeanour and personality, his political ideology and his indecisiveness. This isn't Tory propaganda, these are facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Another tweet which should frighten those in the UK who like the separation of the government and judiciary...
    https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1175865988551716864

I think this is a non-runner, it is in relation to a power known as nobile officium, which is basically a gap filling power, though it can be used even where there is no gap to be filled in the interests of justice.

It can also be used on the basis of the alleviation and amelioration of law and process, perhaps even this is the angle they will attempt but it's not clear, and then the issue of separation of powers comes into play, I have questioned Jolyon on this specific topic twice to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Spain is looking for reciprocal treatment for the citizens in the UK and British citizens in Spain.

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1176011727856685056?s=20

So essentially it comes down to how the UK will treat Spanish citizens post Brexit, that will determine how their citizens are treated in Spain. Thank goodness for those immigrants from the UK that they have a compassionate and empathetic Home Office that will ensure they will only get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Spain is looking for reciprocal treatment for the citizens in the UK and British citizens in Spain.

[snip]

So essentially it comes down to how the UK will treat Spanish citizens post Brexit, that will determine how their citizens are treated in Spain. Thank goodness for those immigrants from the UK that they have a compassionate and empathetic Home Office that will ensure they will only get the best of both worlds.
    That cannot come as a surprise:direct reciprocity has been the EU baseline position in the negotiations about citizens' rights ever since Article 50 was triggered.

Already well-familiar with UK's HO and ambient politics of the time, and fully expecting the rethoric to only get dialled upward, it is one of the main reasons why we brexoded to LU rather NL, DE or FR (LU is significantly more multicultural than any other EU member state, with a cross-party political bias to match, and the non-trivial advantage of short-distance/short-term legislative initiative inherent to micro-countries). A gamble, sure, but a well-calculated one.

There are proven "disaster capitalist theories" about Brexiteer politicians. And Johnson is the Brexiteers' favourite glove puppet.

Says who

Is there really a handful of capitalists sending Britain to the wall

My assumption is no deal is s bluff but a bad one so al the disaster capitalist talk is misplaced IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Says who

My assumption is no deal is s bluff but a bad one so al the disaster capitalist talk is misplaced IMO
    It was recently reported that short positions against UK plc currently run north of £8bn. Linked several times in the preceding thread (it was around 2-3 weeks ago IIRC). I understand that's the stakes, not the expected gains.

IIRC still, Odey took £200m of short positions against the £ immediately prior to the 2016 referendum and, aided by Nigel Farrage's "they won-wait-we won" bit of abracadabra bitches-PR on referendum night, made north of £800m, so that gives you an idea of what disaster capitalism moves can net you.

No deal is what I would call a half-bluff: no.10 has and continues to use it as a bluff, but it is, still and until the UK either gets a deal or revokes Art.50, the automatic legal outcome of the live Art.50 deadline as last extended. So it can perfectly well happen, by accident or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Try as I might, I just can't understand the logic of creeps like Michael Gove.
    Gove: Tories will collapse if UK is not out of EU by October 31

Rebels who do not back the PM will bring ruin on the party, warns the minister in charge of no-deal preparations

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gove-tories-will-collapse-if-uk-is-not-out-by-october-31-d2mkbpjj9

What he is saying is the survival of the Tory party is more important than the evisveration of the UK in a No Deal crashout. That's madness. The height of irresponsibility and selfishness. How he can say that without blushing is beyond me, what a cretin.

• Advertisement

Says who

Read the last two pages. There is a man called Crispin Odey bankrolling Boris, and he was very keen for silencing parliament as far back as July. He wants a No Deal crashout at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭quokula

What he is saying is the survival of the Tory party is more important than the evisveration of the UK in a No Deal crashout. That's madness. The height of irresponsibility and selfishness. How he can say that without blushing is beyond me, what a cretin.

Because the UK media give them a complete free pass on any scrutiny, so they can brazenly say stuff like that and most voters don't even realise the implications.

Says who

Here's two to get you started. Crispin Odey, a major donator to Boris Johnson. Ben Habib, a Brexit Party MEP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'm considerably more nuanced than you might think I am..

You aren't though. :P

Anyone who criticises Corbyn is brainwashed by the right wing media. God forbid you can form an opinion by yourself without the aid of the telegraph.

Corbyn is right on more things than the tories when it comes to politics, but on Brexit he has been poor. He should have been calling for a second referendum a long time ago and making an argument to remain.

Their is no Brexit that won't hurt the people who he represents and supposedly fights for. You may such a stance is politically naive, but if somehow Brexit happens, then he has to take some blame for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I can't read the article, he isn't backing a no deal is he?

Just saying vote for the Boris deal or the party is ****ed?

Doubt the Boris deal would be great, but would be some effort for it to be worse than no deal.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    You aren't though. :P

Anyone who criticises Corbyn is brainwashed by the right wing media. God forbid you can form an opinion by yourself without the aid of the telegraph.

Corbyn is right on more things than the tories when it comes to politics, but on Brexit he has been poor. He should have been calling for a second referendum a long time ago and making an argument to remain.

Their is no Brexit that won't hurt the people who he represents and supposedly fights for. You may such a stance is politically naive, but if somehow Brexit happens, then he has to take some blame for it.

In fact, had a committed Remainer been leader of Labour in June 2016, the current debacle wouldn't exist. Yet again, Corbyn was watery at best. His lack of commitment was a decisive factor in Leave's win.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I can't read the article, he isn't backing a no deal is he?

Just saying vote for the Boris deal or the party is ****ed?

Doubt the Boris deal would be great, but would be some effort for it to be worse than no deal.

There is no Boris Deal. There is the May negotiated WA and there is a No Deal crashout.

The EU are kind enough after all this time and all this time wasting to still accept fresh ideas or a change of position on red lines, but nothing is forthcoming and it doesn't look like anything serious will be tabled. Cherries, cherries and more cherries.

What Gove is effectively saying is that the UK must leave on Oct 31 - deal or no deal - to save the Tory party. Never mind the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Patser

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1176011727856685056?s=20

I wonder is it pure coincidence Spain come out with this, a few days after the UK Dept for Brexit posted a few tweets directly aimed at the damage a no deal would do to Spain - UK imports billions in cars, fruit and veg, also British tourists spend millions in Spain, so we can mess you up Spain.

Today Spain responds 100,000s retired UK ex-pats live here, who'll suddenly find their lives a lot harder, most will have to return home and their Spanish homes will be worthless. Your problem then UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Patser wrote: »
    I wonder is it pure coincidence Spain come out with this, a few days after the UK Dept for Brexit posted a few tweets directly aimed at the damage a no deal would do to Spain - UK imports billions in cars, fruit and veg, also British tourists spend millions in Spain, so we can mess you up Spain.

Today Spain responds 100,000s retired UK ex-pats live here, who'll suddenly find their lives a lot harder, most will have to return home and their Spanish homes will be worthless. Your problem then UK

UK brought to its knees, having to go hat in hand to Europe, by the combined might of Ireland, Spain and Luxembourg. Bluster'll only get you so far, BoJo's at his 'level of incompetence'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Patser wrote: »

Don't forget the added burden placed on the NHS of that many pensioners suddenly arriving home.

Also the beautiful irony will be that many likely voted for brexit yet when they return they wont be eligible for the NHS as you need to be a resident for 6 months'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In fact, had a committed Remainer been leader of Labour in June 2016, the current debacle wouldn't exist. Yet again, Corbyn was watery at best. His lack of commitment was a decisive factor in Leave's win.

Nothing much Corbyn could do in June 2016.
    Cameron never reached out to him for cross-party support at all because it wasn't needed. Because Dave was an absolute expert at winning these things (2 elections, AV voting, Scotland, 100% success rate, mr invincible) and didn't need anyone sharing the credit.
    So Corbyn was pretty much side-lined by the leaders of the Remain campaign, and the broadcasting rules which require equal coverage of both sides concentrated on the 'government' side.

Corbyn gave a few weak interviews, and a few actually excellent written columns which got roundly ignored.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement