Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neworder79 wrote: »
    The opening times aren't rigid, they change every day to suit the schedule, E.g. the 6.30 service from Stansted (also open until 22:00 a few weeks back to accommodate an Italian charter).

The public transport doesn't run outside the standard opening hours, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Does anyone know know does flybe fly to leeds in the winter or is it just for the summer? It looks like they don't have any winter schedule on there website yet.

lol, Dermot Mannion is gone from Aer Lingus you know! I doubt they'll make such a (costly) error again...

There are no Heathrow connections at all to the West or North West via Knock, i think one would do quite well even from local business needs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MyNameis.com

There are no Heathrow connections at all to the West or North West via Knock, i think one would do quite well even from local business needs...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭finchkerry

Good news out of Knock recently..

Passenger numbers up 10% compared to June 2011, almost 70,000 passengers used the airport last month, busiest summer in history forecasted (from their twitter page)

Although I did hear that ryanair are pulling some of their European routes in September. I feel Knock really need a few other airlines into the airport to decrease the over reliance on Ryanair.

Any word on new routes coming? I thought a route to eastern Europe might do well or increased flights to London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭finchkerry

Great new for Knock Airport, long may it last, August would naturally be a busy month. This taken from knocks Facebook page....

IWAK: We are delighted to say that August was the busiest month in the airports history with almost 90,000 passengers using the airport. Indeed this summer has been the busiest summer ever at the airport and we would like to say a big thank you to all our customers and friends for continuing to support your local airport -we very much appreciate your support and we are proud to be able to provide connections to over 28 International destinations for the people of the West and North West of Ireland

finchkerry wrote: »
    Great new for Knock Airport, long may it last, August would naturally be a busy month. This taken from knocks Facebook page....

IWAK: We are delighted to say that August was the busiest month in the airports history with almost 90,000 passengers using the airport. Indeed this summer has been the busiest summer ever at the airport and we would like to say a big thank you to all our customers and friends for continuing to support your local airport -we very much appreciate your support and we are proud to be able to provide connections to over 28 International destinations for the people of the West and North West of Ireland

Things are will get alot tougher for all these smaller airports, Kerry, Cork, SNN and Knock. Less and less disposable income = less flights and less weekend trips to Europe for stags and the like. Although with immigration some of the UK destinations may expand. The poor summer has really helped these airports. Good to see Knock still growing through all this and providing employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Although with the demise of BMI Baby this week that's one less route they have now

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Air lingus regional has replaced bmi babys route to birmingham and flybe has replaced the manchester route...so no routes lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

eastmayo wrote: »
    Air lingus regional has replaced bmi babys route to birmingham and flybe has replaced the manchester route...so no routes lost.

But an ATR and a dash 8 only replace about half the seats lost from the bmi Boeing 737 so a cut in seats by 50% on those routes but correct to say that the routes are not lost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

But an ATR and a dash 8 only replace about half the seats lost from the bmi Boeing 737 so a cut in seats by 50% on those routes but correct to say that the routes are not lost

Indeed, capacity has dropped....however these could actually allow these routes to operate in the further weakening of the economy.
    No point flying a 50% full B737 when the ATR or Dash 8 can operate the same route at less cost and at 80+ load factor. I think more secure but less traffic is a better option than uncertain/less sustainable higher traffic levels.

Tenger wrote: »
    Indeed, capacity has dropped....however these could actually allow these routes to operate in the further weakening of the economy.
    No point flying a 50% full B737 when the ATR or Dash 8 can operate the same route at less cost and at 80+ load factor. I think more secure but less traffic is a better option than uncertain/less sustainable higher traffic levels.

Would agree 100%. Whilst I have never flown out of here, it's great to see a regional airport not relying on a certain "ultra low fares" airline (as they now describe themselves) for all routes. Spreading the routes amongst reputable airlines pretty much guarantees good routes and reasonable prices and doesn't allow one airline to hold the airport over a barrel. As for the reduction in capacity, as you said, an 80% full ATR or Dash 8 is much better than a 40% 737.

This airport does seem to be the good news story of aviation in Ireland at the moment. Despite not have a city right beside like the other 3 bigger airports, it appears to be getting a large catchment area and the locals seem to be supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Does Knock airport have any Aircraft based their? Ryanair doesn't, neither do Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nothing commercial but there is a Connaught flying club

flazio wrote: »
    Nothing commercial but there is a Connaught flying club

That must be very annoying for holiday makers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That must be very annoying for holiday makers.

Why? What difference to holiday makers does it make if a plane is based in the airport? 99% of people don't care where the plane came from as long as it's there when they're due to board.

Why? What difference to holiday makers does it make if a plane is based in the airport? 99% of people don't care where the plane came from as long as it's there when they're due to board.

It is annoying because the flight times are not great.
    Say if Im going to malaga,

I go on the flight over at 12:00pm and land at 2:00pm (Local time, presuming a simple 3 hour flights.) Coming home you might leave at 7:00am and land at 11:00am.

Although its only a small difference, If dublin has a flight with better flight times, even if it costs a little more I would book that flight.

It is not a MAJOR thing, its just a small set back.

Trust me, Shannon, Cork and Dublin each have the same problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Knock flights do not yield enough to justify them having better times and the costs involved with based aircraft - pretty simple really. The craft can make more cash elsewhere at those times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I go on the flight over at 12:00pm and land at 2:00pm (Local time, presuming a simple 3 hour flights.) Coming home you might leave at 7:00am and land at 11:00am.

Although its only a small difference, If dublin has a flight with better flight times, even if it costs a little more I would book that flight.

That may be your opinion, but most people I know would prefer not to have to be in the airport at 5am for a 7am flight and be at their destination 2hrs before they can check in. Especially those with kids. And the time travelling to Dublin from the West/South coast would make it even more unappealing.
    It is not a MAJOR think, its just a small set back.

There are actually a lot of early morning flights from all these airports (especially Dublin), but they're mainly to European cities or the US rather than sun holiday destinations.

I guess that this pic will go here:

14556357614_4c73f4889f_s.jpgKnock airport from the air by tearbringer, on Flickr

• Advertisement

It is not a MAJOR think, its just a small set back.

The Spanish/Portuguese/Lithuania Flights goes over mid-morning perfect for Holidaymakers. Arrive at Airport at 9 with Carry on luggage and board at 9:20, depart 9:40.

Children and parents get a full night sleep.

I've done the three hour drive to Dublin, followed by queues for everything for a six o'clock flight. You basically don't go to bed at all as you leave at 1am. Then you miss out on a full day when you arrive. Kids will not tolerate that.

The German, Dutch and Italian flights go around lunch time and could be a bit earlier but most users of the Airport are thankful to have a choice of destinations and would rather that over traveling long distances to busy airports. 99.9% of people wouldn't know or care if a plane was stationed at Knock or not, its no "set back" to them.

The Spanish/Portuguese/Lithuania Flights goes over mid-morning perfect for Holidaymakers. Arrive at Airport at 9 with Carry on luggage and board at 9:20, depart 9:40.

Children and parents get a full night sleep.

I've done the three hour drive to Dublin, followed by queues for everything for a six o'clock flight. You basically don't go to bed at all as you leave at 1am. Then you miss out on a full day when you arrive. Kids will not tolerate that.

The German, Dutch and Italian flights go around lunch time and could be a bit earlier but most users of the Airport are thankful to have a choice of destinations and would rather that over traveling long distances to busy airports. 99.9% of people wouldn't know or care if a plane was stationed at Knock or not, its no "set back" to them.

Im not up for an argument and frankly I couldn't care less about the times of knocks flights.

Several of the people I know would rather leave their local airport at 6am rather than leaving the airport that is in the holiday destination at 6am.

Fair enough, it may not be worth the extra airport charges and its fine the way it is, its just a Minor set-back. It won't effect me and I'm sorry I pointed it out.
    Its not the journey out from knock that has a bad time, its the journey home.

If dublin has a flight with better flight times, even if it costs a little more I would book that flight.
    Frankly I couldn't care less about the times of knocks flights.

Carnacalla, it fairly transparent to anybody that's been on Boards for a while exactly what you have been trying to do. There is very few of your posts that are not negative towards Knock, why i don't know. If you don't care about flight times in Knock why come onto the Knock Thread and complain about planes not been based there and their flight times.

But to come on and then completely contradict yourself within a few posts is just foolish. If you want to pluck holes in Knock's operations at least try something better than flight times because they are very suitable for Knocks clientele even if they do not suit the several people you know that want to leave in the middle of the night :rolleyes:

Must admit, I have been put off flying to/from certain airports, not just knock, most of the oths aswell, by a very early flit on the way home. A 6am flight back to anywhere in Ireland is a very early start, often even worse if being picked up by a tour company shuttle bus. Usually means almost losing the previous nights holidays, as with 3 small kids its hard enough, without a 3am rise.

Oddly enough, doesnt bother me as much from this end. Its almost like losing the previous night here is ok, but losing it on holidays is a lot worse. Maybe it is!!!!

Anyhow, my point is, 6am return flight from hols is a no-no for us, back to any Irish airport

Must admit, I have been put off flying to/from certain airports, not just knock, most of the oths aswell, by a very early flit on the way home. A 6am flight back to anywhere in Ireland is a very early start, often even worse if being picked up by a tour company shuttle bus. Usually means almost losing the previous nights holidays, as with 3 small kids its hard enough, without a 3am rise.

Oddly enough, doesnt bother me as much from this end. Its almost like losing the previous night here is ok, but losing it on holidays is a lot worse. Maybe it is!!!!

Anyhow, my point is, 6am return flight from hols is a no-no for us, back to any Irish airport

Thank you. Thats a problem assosiated with Aircraft not being located in Knock.

Thank you. Thats a problem assosiated with Aircraft not being located in Knock.

Not just knock though. I know from recently looking at a canaries flight from Shannon that the return left at 6am approx and we decided not to do that route because of the return time. I suppose the problem in knock may be worse, because they don't overnight any planes there, meaning every departure must have an earlier return flight departure. Obviously, Dublin with the biggest amount of flights wouldn't suffer as much.

Personally, I would travel the 2/3 hours to get to dublin to avoid the early return flight, if I had to. But like others said, if the opportunity presented itself, local flights are best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Personally, I would travel the 2/3 hours to get to dublin to avoid the early return flight, if I had to. But like others said, if the opportunity presented itself, local flights are best.

I feel 100% the same way as do many others, no one wants to return from their holiday at 6am ! They want to go on their holiday at 6am and have the whole day there! My mother cant stand not travelling in the morning, be it a train or plane she is getting, when she is going away it has to be in the morning! And I totally understand why! Its difficult to please everyone though!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Some great images from this Cologne route passenger.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=70654106@N00&q=EIKN

Back to my original point. The fact that ryanair don't base planes at Knock must be annoying for holiday makers. The reason being is no one likes leaving their holiday at 7am in the morning.

• Advertisement

Back to my original point. The fact that ryanair don't base planes at Knock must be annoying for holiday makers. The reason being is no one likes leaving their holiday at 7am in the morning.

I doubt that any airline factor in "annoying pax" to their financial assessment of aircraft basing.

The fact is that Knock does not merit the logistical investment to base aircraft. Airlines are managing to operate flights with aircraft from elsewhere. This will continue until the market increases enough to merit the investment in basing an aircraft there.

Advertisement