Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

Carnacalla wrote: »
    cologne looks like it will also be moved to Shannon.

Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

cgill wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

Its listed on Shannon airports wikipedia page and is also on German wings booking page.

Its not confirmed, but looks likely.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. Very disappointing news...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Looking at the routes bookable for summer 15 so far, it doesn't look like it will be a record-breaking year for Knock. Birmingham and Liverpool both down to 5-pw. Gran Canaria, Eindhoven, Prestwick, Kaunas and Cologne all removed from airline websites. Manchester not bookable but Flybe are supposed to be reviewing routes there so it's still early days yet. Ryanair have not yet officially announced their summer schedule as they have for all the other Irish airports, so still staying hopeful for some new route announcements...

I'm getting worried ! NOC - LGW doesn't seem to be open for booking 😭 I will be devastated if this route is pulled 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Locker10a wrote: »
    I'm getting worried ! NOC - LGW doesn't seem to be open for booking 😭 I will be devastated if this route is pulled 😥

EI said they'd fly a DUB/ BHD - LGW - NOC - LGW - DUB/ BHD didn't they?

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »

I was looking last night and they were bookable and the flights were with an A320. The timetable suggests that it will be operated on a W-route from DUB.

I was looking last night and they were bookable and the flights were with an A320. The timetable suggests that it will be operated on a W-route from DUB.

What surprises me about the route is that ryanair have not yet tried to compete. I would of thought they would operate a lgw route from knock to "knock" out Aer Lingus

What surprises me about the route is that ryanair have not yet tried to compete. I would of thought they would operate a lgw route from knock to "knock" out Aer Lingus

They did this years ago when easyJet did the route , easy pulled out and then so do ryanair! So I imagine Knock airport learned a lesson there and won't allow it again! No way is there a market in NOC for two airline operating the same route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

So I imagine Knock airport learned a lesson there and won't allow it again!

European competition rules apply.

If RYANAIR choose to start a route from Gatwick to Knock there is very little the airport can do to stop them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If RYANAIR choose to start a route from Gatwick to Knock there is very little the airport can do to stop them.

They're very unlikely to provide any subsidies or incentives for any other operator on an existing route, though. Its a lot more effort to underhandedly bump someone off a route when you've to bear the full cost :pac:

(not that it stops companies, Stagecoach buses in the UK were renowned for doing 1p fares on unsubsidised routes till the existing operator folded or sold out)

• Advertisement

Kaunas moved to Shannon and cologne looks like it will also be moved to Shannon.

Thats the Shannon bailout by the taxpayer in action. The government have distorted the market to Cork and Knocks detriment.

Shannon with out any debt and a massive land bank provided by the taxpayer can now undercut any other airport and entice airlines to move there.

Mcsharry despite the threats from government should of continued with his anti competitive case that he was bring to the European courts.

Munster people are only now starting to realize that Cork airport is been ripped to shreads due to the anti competitive effects of the bailout of Shannon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057083007&page=27

This government can never again say they want balanced regional development because they have unbalanced any balance there was, as for Enda Kenny he wouldn't get elected to a town council in the west at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Thats the Shannon bailout by the taxpayer in action. The government have distorted the market to Cork and Knocks detriment.

Shannon with out any debt and a massive land bank provided by the taxpayer can now undercut any other airport and entice airlines to move there.

Mcsharry despite the threats from government should of continued with his anti competitive case that he was bring to the European courts.

Munster people are only now starting to realize that Cork airport is been ripped to shreads due to the anti competitive effects of the bailout of Shannon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057083007&page=27

This government can never again say they want balanced regional development because they have unbalanced any balance there was, as for Enda Kenny he wouldn't get elected to a town council in the west at this stage.

Oh god, not again , PPLLLEEEEEEEASE.

Oh god, not again , PPLLLEEEEEEEASE.

Thats the reason for the Ryanair route transfers from KnocK and Cork to Shannon. PPLLLEEEEEEASE....Theirs no denying that, :). Of course the fact that you spend most of your time posting on the Shannon thread you are unlikely to agree to something so obvious.

Thats the reason for the route transfers from KnocK and Cork to Shannon. Theirs no denying that, PPLLLEEEEEEASE....:). Of course the fact that you spend most of your time posting on the Shannon thread you are unlikely to agree.

OR, just an outside chance here, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, offering a flight from shannon and dublin, Ryanair reckon they can get people from almost anywhere in the republic to travel to either of these airports and only have to offer 2 flights. Combines Ryanairs costs, POSSIBLY.

Anyway, no, maybe you are right, your idea may be right, but there are other possibilities. Unless you say you work for Ryanair and have insider information??????

Thats the reason for the Ryanair route transfers from KnocK and Cork to Shannon. PPLLLEEEEEEASE....Theirs no denying that, :). Of course the fact that you spend most of your time posting on the Shannon thread you are unlikely to agree to something so obvious.

And in relation to your extra bit of information about "spend most of my time posting on the shannon thread", your information is as accurate and factual as everything else you post.

Anyhow, like I said on my previous post, this is about Knock airport.

MayoMaffia, I understand your support for knock airport, but Shannon is not to blaim for every single problem and you will adventually have to get over the fact that it received slightly more government funding thank knock, rightly so. The DAA caused the debt of Shannon, so they should pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mod note: Keep it civil and on topic,the Shannon v Knock v Cork stuff has been done to death and if this descends into another flaming war it'll be getting locked.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Shannon has better transport links,and links to mid west south and south connaught for sightseen etc
    World class services and facilities, larger pax catchment area plus selection of destinations for transferring pax upto and including American customs pre clearance.
    Maintenance facilities on site and larger facility with plenty of gates and parking and of course airport is open 24/7 allowing more freedom when scheduling flights.

The fact is shannon has a lot more to offer airlines and its a choice for airlines of shannon international standard or knock regional standard. Pax are voting with there feet numbers are way up on last year and Ryanair and Germanwings want to capitalise on shannons resurgence, who knows it may not be the last services transferred to Shannon,

Yeah they can't stop them but they can choose to not offer offer them the same taxes and fees and incentives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Not anti Knock here but living in Galway I can be in Shannon in 45 minutes with the motorway, the motorway ended at Gort but work is now underway to bring it to Tuam via Athenry which will make Shannon a very attractive Airport with a motorway all the way for City and County passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Aerohead wrote: »
    Not anti Knock here but living in Galway I can be in Shannon in 45 minutes with the motorway, the motorway ended at Gort but work is now underway to bring it to Tuam via Athenry which will make Shannon a very attractive Airport with a motorway all the way for City and County passengers.

That motorway will eventually head north towards Knock as well.
    Only thing to consider then will be the flight prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

flazio wrote: »
    That motorway will eventually head north towards Knock as well.
    Only thing to consider then will be the flight prices.

The way flights are being pulled from Knock at present it may not be open whenever that happens, that motorway is a long time away, we are lucky to be getting the bit they are working on at present.

The motorway will only go to tuam

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

The motorway will only go to tuam

The road though from Tuam to Knock is good bar a few miles from Miltown to Ballindine. Knock can't compete with Shannon, that is the sad reality of it. If Knock continues its steady growth it will be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Shannon can only ride the magical unicorn for so long. While more and more flights may be leaving Knock, its clientele is going to change IMO. If Aer Lingus Regional want to expand, or Loganair, FlyBe, BA (Overly optimistic but who cares) the facilities are there. The only competitive airport between Derry and Shannon is Knock, remember.

man98 wrote: »
    Shannon can only ride the magical unicorn for so long. While more and more flights may be leaving Knock, its clientele is going to change IMO. If Aer Lingus Regional want to expand, or Loganair, FlyBe, BA (Overly optimistic but who cares) the facilities are there. The only competitive airport between Derry and Shannon is Knock, remember.

Shannon re-started in 2013, an airport essentially with no money. No debts anymore either. If they can sustain the low prices now they can sustain them forever.

Was your last point sarcasm? It made me laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Councillors in Galway are going to try to get commercial flight back to Galway Airport, all going well it will re-open in the next few weeks, no reason why not now that the economy is on the up again.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Councillors in Galway are going to try to get commercial flight back to Galway Airport, all going well it will re-open in the next few weeks, no reason why not now that the economy is on the up again.

Really? Open to scheduled flights? Is their a market anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Really? Open to scheduled flights? Is their a market anymore?

Well the people who flew from Galway have not gone away and I am sure if flights were back they would use them , after all the population is now almost 100,000

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well the people who flew from Galway have not gone away and I am sure if flights were back they would use them , after all the population is now almost 100,000

You have far better transport links to Dublin now from galway and I doubt any airlines would put in any routes.

Advertisement