Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I find it odd that they are using their Lauda subsidiary to operate this route instead of just Ryanair. I wonder why. It's a summer seasonal service replacing a year round service but it certainly is better than nothing.
    Those flights are viewable in the booking engine. It is either the first or last round trip of the day and it is about 1h20m shorter than a trip to the Canaries. They can squeeze an additional short day flight in to the day using that plane but I can't see that for certain. Certainly they are flying out of Palma first thing in the morning and back again from Knock last thing at night.
    ...and Lauda staff are not on the same terms as Ryanair pilots so cost of operating the flight is potentially cheaper.
    That Friday flight time from Knock is very, very attractive. They'll fill that plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I find it odd that they are using their Lauda subsidiary to operate this route instead of just Ryanair. I wonder why. It's a summer seasonal service replacing a year round service but it certainly is better than nothing.

With Ryanair closing bases, there will have to be some juggling around of which base operate which routes. Aircraft availability will be a factor too.

Lauda have a base at Palma so why not?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It’s Ryanair’s way of wiggling out of hard fought for staff terms and conditions, Ryanair are making staff redundant and closing bases because they’ve been forced to recognise unions, so they’re expanding via their wholly owned subsidiary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any chance of NOC to Cologne returning in summer 2020?

I doubt it, but ye know more than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Geuze wrote: »
    Any chance of NOC to Cologne returning in summer 2020?

I doubt it, but ye know more than me.

Yes will be returning next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

eastmayo wrote: »
    Yes will be returning next summer.

I'm surprised.

When I saw fares of 25-40 during summer 2019, I assumed this meant fares were being driven down to try to fill the plane.

I assumed these sort of fares during July/Aug were too low and unsustainable.

I'm happy to be wrong.

The flights are not loaded onto website yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Geuze wrote: »
    I'm surprised.
    The flights are not loaded onto website yet.

Normal for this time of year. Barcelona and Canaries still operating but the remaining Spanish, Italian and German routes have come to the end of their summer season in October.

2019 schedules being worked out and loaded in coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Another new airline at Knock next summer (sort of).

Malta Air will be operating the Cologne route.

Another new airline at Knock next summer (sort of).

Malta Air will be operating the Cologne route.

This they already were this summer
    In any case it’s still Ryanair and still Ryanair livery on the aircraft

Locker10a wrote: »
    This they already were this summer
    In any case it’s still Ryanair and still Ryanair livery on the aircraft

Yes, Malta Air is a subsidiary of Ryanair, hence the (sort of) in my post.

This route was operated by Ryanair, not Malta Air, in 2019. Malta Air have not yet commenced operations.

I believe Malta Air aircraft will have their own livery.

• Advertisement

Yes, Malta Air is a subsidiary of Ryanair, hence the (sort of) in my post.

This route was operated by Ryanair, not Malta Air, in 2019. Malta Air have not yet commenced operations.

I believe Malta Air aircraft will have their own livery.

Oh ok, it’s just I’ve seen photos on Instagram of Malta air aircraft on the ground in Knock so I think it’s nothing new tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

806,000 passengers in 2019, up 4.5%

Lauda to PMI begins April 2nd
    Ryanair to GRO resumes July 4th (reduced season for 2020 only operates for 8 weeks)

Ryanair TFS and ACE ended on January 2nd
    Flybe to EDI reduced from 4x/wk to 2x/wk for S20 (bar July and August where it will remain at 4x/wk)
    Albastar/TUI to PMI not operating for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very good year for knock, pity it seems it won't continue into next year, however every business of any type needs a plateau for a period, constant increases aren't sustainable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

JCX BXC wrote: »
    every business of any type needs a plateau for a period, constant increases aren't sustainable.

:confused:

Has Knock reached capacity or market saturation?

Graham wrote: »
    :confused:

Has Knock reached capacity or market saturation?

Did I say it has?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Just wondered if there was a reason that increases are unsustainable.

One of the major yardsticks of success for a business is growth. If growth has stopped because it is unsustainable, it's not unreasonable to ask why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Worrying news RE flybe tonight
    https://news.sky.com/story/regional-airline-flybe-in-frantic-bid-to-stave-off-collapse-11907407
    Airline accounted for 98,700 pax in NOC in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Shn99 wrote: »
    Airline accounted for 98,700 pax in NOC in 2018.

Ouch... possible serious hit!!

Flybe safe for now. I think the capacity on Manchester and Birmingham would be picked up anyway in the long run, either by new operators of those routes or extra capacity on East Midlands and Liverpool. Edinburgh would be less safe, but judging by the reduction in rotations it may not survive longer term even if flybe/Virgin Connect does.

Loganair are noticeably expanding from the Scottish airports, wouldn't be surprised to see them take on Knock to Edinburgh at some point in future. Their size of plane may be a good fit for what is a thin enough route.

I'd also think MAN/BHX are fairly likely to be taken up if Flybe collapses, however I'm struggling to think of an airline that would operate the route. Perhaps Ryanair, although with such a large aircraft type and the fact they already operate to nearby airports wouldn't exactly be great for sustainability and frequency.

• Advertisement

I think Ryanair would only plug any gap by adding rotations to their existing routes. Aer Lingus Regional would possibly be an option for BHX and MAN. Anyway, not an issue for now.

Is there an A380 landing in Knock on Friday for scrappage ? Or just a rumor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Not arriving Friday...Towards the end off month.

Still a rumour, but looks like it!

Certainly be a sight to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭6541

Anyone know the time so one could go and view ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Where exactly is the Eir Trade facility at Knock airport?

I'm guessing break up of larger jets is done out in the open at their facilities as they are only 20,000 square feet so won't handle anything big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

eastmayo wrote:
    Not arriving Friday...Towards the end off month.

Why would they be scrapping this plane. I thought all that fleet would still be relatively young?
    I've flown on them a number of times with Etihad. Great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Why would the be scrapping this plan. I thought all that fleet would still be relatively young?
    I've flown on them a number of times with Etihad. Great experience.

Various reasons are at play such as costs to operate/maintain, airport facilities etc, and to note it is not the first A380 for the chop.

Some airlines are reducing their A380 fleet or offloading them altogether. Second hand market for the planes is virtually non existent.

I have flown on the upper deck of an A380 and found it a great experience, but four engine planes aren't cost effective enough compared to B777s and A350s. Hopefully some will still fly for years but the A380 is one Emirates board decision away from a fairly quick death.

• Advertisement
Advertisement