Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

The people who make these decisions dont spend time drinking pints in pubs

They hate them

We have a seriously unhealthy relationship with alcohol in this country, this week has exposed that. People going nuts that the pubs wont open in a pandemic and people trying to excuse a drunk driving TD.

What about only 8 but from 5 different households? Its a pile of nonsense at this stage, i can see the rationale behind the guidelines but its unenforceable and nobody is taking it seriously anymore

Whether its enforceable or not doesn't matter, we need to take collective responsibility for keeping the virus suppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There is undoubtably a big pub culture in Ireland. However there is also a not insignificant anti-pub element who would close all the pubs tomorrow if they could. Virus or no virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

There is undoubtably a big pub culture in Ireland. However there is also a not insignificant anti-pub element who would close all the pubs tomorrow if they could. Virus or no virus.

Going to the pub is someone's private business in peacetime. At present, it's a risk to population health. If publicans can't run them sensibly, then they should deal with closing temporarily. Some have already proven that they can't do a sensible job, so I think the whole sector will needs to share the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Poorside wrote: »
    And who is going to actually police that? Guards come to your door, you don't have to let them in without a warrant.

Ha! That's a joke, the Gardai have no more than 2 cars to cover my local area in Dublin which has a population of about 80,000+
    The chances of them showing up to inspect a house party... Zero!

Can't have a holiday, can't go for a pint... Fire up the BBQ and bring trays of cans.. let's party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

True, the slogan for Ireland is now "Céad míle F**k off..."

We're closing what many tourists come here for our famous welcome and pub culture, and you're not welcome here anyways....You'll be refused service from any tourism related business and treated like a leper...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭rodders999

The people who make these decisions dont spend time drinking pints in pubs

They hate them

There are two bars in the Dàil to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

As the saying goes: You won't smell like roses if you shīte in a bucket.

Correct decision from this government

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Some Professor said that earlier; 'love to know how you're safer in a pub by buying a €9 sandwich as opposed to one who doesnt? '

They should be all shut or all open.

Restaurants and places serving good reopened.

Not pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

boombang wrote: »
    I support this. Was out in a restaurant with the in laws on Sunday. Some well meaning acquaintance comes up, buckled, hugs and kisses half of our group, shakes hands with the other. I know it's just because he was pissed, but there's nothing we could do but smile awkwardly. There's no telling drunk people. We'll not be back to pubs or restaurants in a while after that experience.

Drink and COVID don't mix.

Theres a pub in Cornwall thats installed an electric fence to police social distancing, I kid you not

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-53389977

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So many of these pubs are not going to reopen at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People in other countries obey rules and wear masks.

Not the Irish though. Rules don't suit the Irish.

That is absolute rubbish.

Most Irish people are complying with requirements.

The vast majority of people complied with travel distance restrictions.

You can't apply something like that to nationalities, it's human nature.

They're always be a considerable minority who don't follow rules due to ignorance and/or stupidity but it's the exact same in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Theres a pub in Cornwall thats installed an electric fence to police social distancing, I kid you not

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-53389977
    Presumably they will be prosecuted for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Irish people think that (other) Irish people are disobedient and ignore rules. A grain of truth in that but hugely exaggerated. Our citizenry is way more compliant, for good or ill, than generally gets acknowledged.

A corresponding belief is that Europeans/Northern Europeans/Germans/Scandinavians (delete as appropriate) are perfectly compliant.

In fact the authorities in Stockholm closed down a number of restaurants due to lack of enforcing social distancing.

And from France in April:

French police hand out 900,000 lockdown fines including to holiday home owners

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

My €2.5k “staycation” (shudder..) will be some craic so..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That "anti-pub element" may include general people against recreational addictive drugs, or indeed those against all recreational drugs including non addictive ones.

There could also be others (like myself who drinks heavily) who would love to just see the pathetic hypocrites suffer for shits n giggles even though I would suffer myself. Not just pubs closing but any outlet selling recreational drugs that might lead to loss of inhibitions that may lead to greater risk.

The amount of sad idiots who still make out like they do not understand the meal rules is pathetic "durrr, I'm a stoopid ignorant moroooon, what difference does eating make", you're fooling nobody, and I am genuinely feeling pity if you genuinely are that stupid. Unable to realise why laws are already in place in restaurants or for pubs with children. Some seem to think they look smart if they pretend to be idiotic ignorant cunts, I still don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Risteard81 wrote: »
    There won't be a surge because the so-called disease simply isn't here.

The State has no right to shut any business or to tell people how to live their lives.

The disease simply isn’t here, sure, so thousands of medical personnel the world over, including virologists are making **** up.

We are seeing the almost 26,000 people in this country who had had covid, given an incorrect diagnosis. The 1748 people who have died, and their deaths attributed to covid were misdiagnosed too ? Ok.

Would you like to elaborate in as technically detailed a manner as possible to inform us as to the information that leads you to make-believe ... “the disease simply isn’t here”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Simon Harris and Varadker were on an absolute mission to try and end the drinking culture in Ireland over the last 4 years. They have been constantly lobbied by health Quangos and NGOs to go after alcohol. NPHET is run pretty much entirely by health professionals who no doubtedly have links or are apart of the anti-alcohol lobby. This is their golden ticket.

It is 100% an anti-alcohol thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

rubadub wrote: »
    That "anti-pub element" may include general people against recreational addictive drugs, or indeed those against all recreational drugs including non addictive ones.

There could also be others (like myself who drinks heavily) who would love to just see the pathetic hypocrites suffer for shits n giggles even though I would suffer myself. Not just pubs closing but any outlet selling recreational drugs that might lead to loss of inhibitions that may lead to greater risk.

The amount of sad idiots who still make out like they do not understand the meal rules is pathetic "durrr, I'm a stoopid ignorant moroooon, what difference does eating make", you're fooling nobody, and I am genuinely feeling pity if you genuinely are that stupid. Unable to realise why laws are already in place in restaurants or for pubs with children. Some seem to think they look smart if they pretend to be idiotic ignorant cunts, I still don't get it.

I understand the meal rules but they are nonsense. If I want go tomorrow sit down for 105 or whatever ridiculous number it is now have a few pints and go home,. I shouldn't have to eat overpiced food too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ablelocks wrote: »
    it's a good thing - from what I've seen, social distancing is not happening effectively in shops or restaurants. Not at the beach or on the streets. Not at all in sports training I'm involved in or by supporters at the challenge matches I've been to. There isn't a hope in hell that a pub can operate and not be a focal point for COVID 19.

Think about it - the people who are getting out and about as it is aren't doing what they're supposed to do.

If the pub's reopened on Monday, it would coincide with the restart of most GAA (and other sports) matches. So on the weekend of the 25th, people will go to a match, congregate in the ground, roar and shout and then go to the pub!

If Covid could talk this is what it would ask for - a perfect opportunity to reset and tear into us again.

Look at the evidence from around the world in countries that have eased their lockdowns.

I love going to the pub (or used to) but this is just asking for our hospitals to be overloaded again and all our efforts over the last 5 months will have been in vain.

This btw is a brilliant post, spot on and some...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Simon Harris and Varadker were on an absolute mission to try and end the drinking culture in Ireland over the last 4 years. They have been constantly lobbied by health Quangos and NGOs to go after alcohol. NPHET is run pretty much entirely by health professionals who no doubtedly have links or are apart of the anti-alcohol lobby. This is their golden ticket.

I have to ask if you honestly believe this? “Let’s use the pandemic to close the pubs lads waheeeey”

Do you ever stop and think before posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

My €2.5k “staycation” (shudder..) will be some craic so..

Why are you saying 2,5k ?

Would you be willing to admit that we have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol in this country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

almostover wrote: »
    Would you be willing to admit that we have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol in this country?

Yes, that won't change because the pubs are closed. People who want to drink will drink for cheaper now, meaning they have more money for more alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

boombang wrote: »
    I support this. Was out in a restaurant with the in laws on Sunday. Some well meaning acquaintance comes up, buckled, hugs and kisses half of our group, shakes hands with the other. I know it's just because he was pissed, but there's nothing we could do but smile awkwardly. There's no telling drunk people. We'll not be back to pubs or restaurants in a while after that experience.

Drink and COVID don't mix.

A locked fool in a restaurant isn't indicative of how people will behave in their quiet local.

Hope you enjoyed your meal btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Trying to get my head around Michael Martins assertion "I hope the TWSS extension will help" I'm assuming a vast majority of pubs currently closed have temporarily laid off staff, equally with zero revenues the prudent decision would have been for staff to go on the PUP so I'd doubt very much any extension of TWSS is of any benifit to publicans or staff affected.

The government seem hell bent on either ending PUP or certainly reducing it but at the same time happy it seems to pay up to 75% of payroll for business's shut and it likely TWSS costing far more. I get the concept but surely are they not the same. I also get expenses, losses etc but they are separate issues.

It's seems statistically TWSS more palatable than PUP

So PUP = €350 PW unless reduced to €203 pw
    TWSS = €2800 PM average PM but mostly higher.

Both essentially doing the same thing, maintaining income for those laid off. (Although businesses back trading can continue to claim TWSS to cover most of payroll)

Surely TWSS should be aimed at those who have returned to work and PUP maintained and Aimed at those currently laid off.

Businesses currently back trading as normal and still availing of TWSS is another story

Some businesses never closed, are making profits and are still claiming this payment for their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Some businesses never closed, are making profits and are still claiming this payment for their employees.

It is alarming and I see on other threads, employees back working full hours for 75% of wages, also some reports of tax being deducted despite the fact TWSS is not taxes at source.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Padraig Cribben of the VFI on Newstalk this morning calling for the ban of alcohol sales in supermarkets to stop house parties so pubs can eventually open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The idea that they are doing this because some people don't like drink and see an opportunity is clearly nonsense, and worse on you if you really think this.

The government are taking their advice from the people in public health who are dealing with mass idiocy like house parties in Killarney where tens of people are getting infected. They can see what way the numbers are looking, and it's not looking good. So we need to get some control back before we can move ahead with further reopenings.

Wear a mask. Stop going to house parties. Physical distancing from other people. That's what will get the pubs opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm assuming that Revenue will get to these companies at some point and the money will be paid back? Should be pretty easy to to figure out which companies are doing this based on tax return I'd hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement