Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you believe happens when we die

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

To you. That's the point I was making. It is an entirely personal subjective response to the reality you perceive. But it says nothing ABOUT that reality OTHER than your response to it.

But you being amazed there is "something" does not mean "nothing" is the default and there being "something" is actually remarkable. It seems that way to you is all. Perhaps there being "something" is the default and is not at all remarkable. And there being "Nothing" would be truly weird and unusual and remarkable or even impossible. Who knows?

The awe we might feel at reality around us should pretty much NEVER be used as a basis for assuming anything factual about that reality.

But we do not know it "happened from nothing", thats the problem. The Big bang was the sudden expansion of a singularity of infinite density and mass. That is not "nothing". It is as much the opposite of nothing as I am able to imagine.

To my knowledge we have no evidence that suggests there ever was "nothing". We simply do not know whether there ever was, or not. It is an open question.

And until someone answers that question, I will neither assume there ever was nothing, nor will I assume there always was something. I remain neutral and open on the question.

We do have a resident poster who claims to be a Theoretical Physicist, or a secondary school teacher, or both. He usually drops in when this conversation comes up. Maybe he will drop in and say more on this than I have. But to my knowledge, as I said, we do not know there ever was "nothing".

I quote from this article on modern Physics

"The laws of physics as we understand them make it eminently plausible that our universe arose from nothing - no space, no time, no particles, nothing that we now know of."

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141106-why-does-anything-exist-at-all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

That I am aware of. I am also aware that Laurence Krauss wrote a book on how a universe COULD come from nothing.

But what you might be missing here is that saying it is " eminently plausible " is just discussing how possible it is. It does not one bit suggest it DID come from nothing. We still do not know.

It might seem a subtle difference but in fact there is a chasm of difference between "We have evidence X is possible or plausible" and "We have evidence X actually happened".

When I say that nothingness or somethingness as default is an open question I am referring to the latter. I have no issue at all with the former at this time and it is what your link is about.

It is all interesting stuff. And it is great that such articles tell us what is POSSIBLE. But the reality is we still do not know. And until we do I remain neutral on the question of whether "nothing" ever was a reality. And while I share your awe that anything exists at all.... and I really do.... I will not extrapolate from my subjective awe to any assumptions about that reality.

Nobody can be fully objective as as you say we are bound by the limits of our minds. However, i can't see how 'somethingness' is the default.

Scientists believe in a 'block-universe’ where time and space are connected, otherwise known as spacetime.The theory, which is backed up Einstein’s theory of relativity, states that space and time are part of a four dimensional structure where everything thing that has happened has its own co-ordinates in spacetime.
    This would allow everything to be ‘real’ in the sense that the past, and even the future, are still there in spacetime – making everything equally important as the present.'

Time may be/is an illusion too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

We tend to ignore the majority of data that does not fit a pattern and notice only what we imagine does fit the pattern. And hence see a pattern that is not there. This is how people can think prayer works, that taxi drivers are bad, or that they are psychic.

It is called confirmation bias. We see data that fits our pre-conceived notion of a pattern and simple "miss" the data that does not. Our brain is actually evolved to do this. We can imagine a pattern from a small amount of data. We do not need to see the entire leopard behind a tree to discern there is a lepord there. We see a bit of fur and a few spots and our brain fills in the blanks.

For those who haven't already seen it, the ball counting video illustrates rather nicely, though you do have to concentrate on the question being asked

Humans can see patterns that aren't there, fair enough but they can also make out ones that are too.

Anyway, the most unbiased tool we have, I believe, is mathematics and what is seems to tell us about the universe. Some of what it seems to be saying is amazing to most people.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Anyway, the most unbiased tool we have, I believe, is mathematics and what is seems to tell us about the universe. Some of what it seems to be saying is amazing to most people.

I disagree. Mathematics is simply a very concise descriptive language. It can be, and often is, used to describe things that are purely abstract that don't correspond anything physical. We learn more about the universe through speculative theory followed by searching for observations that support or undermine that theory. Sometimes the observations come first. Mathematics is a tool that can help us both develop the theory and understand the observations but it is just a tool.

smacl wrote: »
    I disagree. Mathematics is simply a very concise descriptive language. It can be, and often is, used to describe things that are purely abstract that don't correspond anything physical. We learn more about the universe through speculative theory followed by searching for observations that support or undermine that theory. Sometimes the observations come first. Mathematics is a tool that can help us both develop the theory and understand the observations but it is just a tool.

Can be but sometimes predictions are made by mathematical formula that are then proved by experiment or later observation as with Einstein's theorys.

Death might be meaningless if time is an illusion.

Can be but sometimes predictions are made by mathematical formula that are then proved by experiment or later observation as with Einstein's theorys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd suggest these are classes of search rather than predictions, e.g. intersections of lines, inflexion points found chasing derivatives, functions of best fit etc.. which are used to locate most probably position of observable phenomena. The prediction is done by the person who suspects the existence of the phenomenon in the first instance.
    Death might be meaningless if time is an illusion.

Not sure if I even understand that. Could you elaborate?

'The theory, which is backed up Einstein’s theory of relativity, states that space and time are part of a four dimensional structure where everything thing that has happened has its own co-ordinates in spacetime.
    This would allow everything to be ‘real’ in the sense that the past, and even the future, are still there in spacetime – making everything equally important as the present.'

If true it really means that time or the past is an illusion and still exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

To you. That's the point I was making. It is an entirely personal subjective response to the reality you perceive. But it says nothing ABOUT that reality OTHER than your response to it.

But you being amazed there is "something" does not mean "nothing" is the default and there being "something" is actually remarkable. It seems that way to you is all. Perhaps there being "something" is the default and is not at all remarkable. And there being "Nothing" would be truly weird and unusual and remarkable or even impossible. Who knows?

The awe we might feel at reality around us should pretty much NEVER be used as a basis for assuming anything factual about that reality.

This is a very valid point. Just because something amazes us, does not mean it is in and of itself amazing. Take something really spectacular like Niagara or Angel falls or even something like a supernova or a black hole devouring a whole solar system - to me those things are amazing, but in reality they are mundane, they are in fact the only thing which could possibly result from the preceding circumstances over millions, billions of years. They are in "reality" anything but amazing, they are mere default situations.

You think of the most unlikely thing that's ever happened, and the fact that it did happen means the actually probability of it happening was 1. You may not have been able to predict it before hand but that says more about the limits of your ability to accurately compute probability than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭monara

Peregrinus wrote: »
    And, by definition, of no interest to yourself either.
    I agree

This is a very valid point. Just because something amazes us, does not mean it is in and of itself amazing. Take something really spectacular like Niagara or Angel falls or even something like a supernova or a black hole devouring a whole solar system - to me those things are amazing, but in reality they are mundane, they are in fact the only thing which could possibly result from the preceding circumstances over millions, billions of years. They are in "reality" anything but amazing, they are mere default situations.

You think of the most unlikely thing that's ever happened, and the fact that it did happen means the actually probability of it happening was 1. You may not have been able to predict it before hand but that says more about the limits of your ability to accurately compute probability than anything else.

What is the probability of a supreme being? In an infinity of time in a multiverse?

What is the probability of a supreme being? In an infinity of time in a multiverse?

Omnipresent kind of negates any added value for infinite time and a multiverse. Pretty sure the people who invented God weren't really thinking this far ahead ;)

Your post was an unreadable mess I am afraid. Between your formatting and your decision to ignore things as being off topic (not your call) there is not much left to reply to.

My apologies for the mess due to my ignorance of the quote system which has now been set right, I think, by the moderator. But you read the mess very well and I thank you for the trouble you went to in doing that.

I find myself in broad agreement with your reasoning subject to the few caveats I set out below. Your perceptive analyses on this and my previous posts have helped me clarify some of my ideas.
    We see data that fits our pre-conceived notion of a pattern and simple "miss" the data that does not. Our brain is actually evolved to do this.
    I agree. We have all had experience of this.
    our brain has evolved towards false positives rather than false negatives

I agree and am considering the epistemological and other implications of this. The bias in interpreting empiric phenomena does not seem to have affected the development of our sciences over the past few hundred years. But then again it may.

The bias may also have affected the development of all our philosophies (theist and atheist) and I have to give this some thought.

Theist apologists have for a long time acknowledged this bias in relation to non-empiric concepts (such our topic) with a tendency towards the positive. Augustine of Hippo (354 - 430) famously described this bias in relation to the soul. But the existence or otherwise of these concepts as realities lies outside the scope of empiric proof and this seems the general view of posters in this thread.
    Thinking there are patterns there which are not, and confirmation bias, are two things the methodology of science is designed to negate.

Again I have to agree. It is important for science to shatter illusions and on that I'm sure we all agree.
    I can understand it without declaring they are fit for a mental institution.
    Nothing I have said however suggests that, or suggests I think that. You have made this bit up entirely on your own without anything from me.

I agree. The suggestion was entirely my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Omnipresent kind of negates any added value for infinite time and a multiverse. Pretty sure the people who invented God weren't really thinking this far ahead ;)
    Plus, ona common conception of God, the supreme being isn't part of the universe (or multiverse) at all, but precedes it, metaphysically speaking, in something lke the way an author proceeds a book.

You might argue that the observed existence of one quite short book implies the existence of an author, even though we'll admittedly never observe the author by examining the book. But I don't think you could argue that the existence of a large number of very long books implies the existence of an author any more strongly. If any book can exist without an author to account for it, then why not all of them? If no book can exist without an author to account for it, then one book is sufficient to prove that there is an author.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Depends what you mean by a supreme being I suppose. Something that exists outside of the normal laws of nature i pressume?

Could some super advanced kid be running the whole universe we know as a game on his phone? I suppose so.

Could he be governed by completely different laws of nature? I suppose he could.

But i think he would have to be governed by some laws of some nature. I think the odds of any being existing completely outside of nature is zero.

They said that if you had a group of monkeys typing away for infinity you would eventually get the complete works of Shakespeare!

If you have an infinity and perhaps of multiverses an all powerful being could exist at one point. If that is ever possible then it has or will if you accept that time is an illusion we are probably part of that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Are the multiverses identical or entirely random in all aspects?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Nobody can be fully objective as as you say we are bound by the limits of our minds. However, i can't see how 'somethingness' is the default.

So? There are lots of things, especially in Quantum Theory, that I can not see because it is so off and strange and weird. It does not stop it being true however. Things like "Action at a distance" for example and quantum entanglement.

Again it is just subjectivity. Subjectively it is weird or odd to you. But so what? That does not tell you what is actually true or false.

• Advertisement

There are lots of things, especially in Quantum Theory, that I can not see because it is so off and strange and weird. It does not stop it being true however.
    Yes there are lots of things we cannot see which might be true. And then again, they might'nt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

monara wrote: »
    Yes there are lots of things we cannot see which might be true. And then again, they might'nt.

True.

Often everything the experts say is taken as gospel and fact, when in fact it is only a theory.

I agree. There are millions of experts (and smart alecs) with millions of unproven and unprovable theories but only one reality. ( I think).

I will neither assume there ever was nothing, nor will I assume there always was something.

But at least we do all agree that there is something now. Just in case some of our posters might be thinking they did'nt exist after all.

They said that if you had a group of monkeys typing away for infinity you would eventually get the complete works of Shakespeare!

Who said this? No one on this thread I hope.:pac:

Infinate monkey theorem!

see below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

Implies that anything is possible with an infinity to do it.

• Advertisement

Infinate monkey theorem!

see below

Thanks. Very interesting. Does this mean that with an infinity of time we could make gods of ourselves?:pac:

Thanks. Very interesting. Does this mean that with an infinity of time we could make gods of ourselves?:pac:

Hail Monara!

Apologies to any supreme being.

Alas we'd need to be immortal to have enough time to do this which leaves us with an almighty chicken and egg problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Infinate monkey theorem!

see below

So are you saying if I had infinity to do the lotto twice a week, I would eventually get 3 numbers?

NIMAN wrote: »
    So are you saying if I had infinity to do the lotto twice a week, I would eventually get 3 numbers?
    With an infinity of time you would get all the numbers, and all the time you needed to enjoy your winnings.

• Advertisement

Hail Monara!

Apologies to any supreme being.
    No apologies necessary. I forgive you.

But we do not know it "happened from nothing", thats the problem. The Big bang was the sudden expansion of a singularity of infinite density and mass. That is not "nothing". It is as much the opposite of nothing as I am able to imagine.

Well that clears up everything very nicely. And if you don't know what a singularity of infinite density is you don't know nothing.
    ]

At that point no one knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Prayers are answered all the time. It's just that often the answer is "no".

Scrap the cap!

And I understand from physicists that the elements from which our bodies are composed began formation at the Big Bang, 16 billion years ago or so; so we were a long time coming. And physicists assure me that if we were reduced to these elements only, we would be microscopic particles invisible to the naked eye; and that the particles of all the people on earth would fit into a cube the size of a cube of sugar. I am not a physicist but take it for what its worth.

Aaaagggghhh! Pop-science overload!

The big bang is estimated to have occurred 13.8 billion years ago - close enough I suppose!

Hydrogen (the simplest element, atomic number 1) formed within minutes of the BB along with very small quantities of other very light elements. Helium (atomic number 2) made up about a quarter of the mass of the early elements, lithium (atomic number 3) only a billionth.

Hydrogen and helium clouds can collapse under their own gravity to form stars. All heavier elements - including the basis of life, carbon - had to wait until these stars reached the end of their lives and exploded into supernovae until they could be formed. Even for the largest (shortest lived) stars, this is tens of millions of years. (Our sun is estimated to have a 10 billion year lifespan and we're about halfway through.)

Elements vs. molecules is a question of chemistry i.e. atoms bonding electronically together. The atoms themselves don't change. Confusion can arise because the word "element" describes both a fundamental type of atom (i.e. a unique atomic number), and a pure sample of a substance composed of atoms all with the same atomic number. So if you changed all the molecules in your body into their elemental form, your body would no longer exist but all of the atoms which made it up would remain entirely unchanged.

Now it is true that atoms consist almost entirely of empty space - but the only way to squash away this empty space is within an extremely dense object - a black hole or a neutron star which both can arise from the core of dying stars. When the star stops "burning", depending on its mass there is no longer enough energy to stop gravity collapsing it to the point where atoms can no longer exist within it. Gravity on the surface of a neutron star would be about 100 billion times greater than on Earth. 1cc of neutron star would weigh about 400 million tonnes. If the average weight of a human (including children) is 50kg, and there are 8 billion of them, then total human mass is about 400 billion tonnes.

So you would need about a litre of this super dense neutron star stuff to fit in all the particles of all the people on earth :)

Scrap the cap!

NIMAN wrote: »
    True.

Often everything the experts say is taken as gospel and fact, when in fact it is only a theory.

Gravity is a theory, but if you leap off the top of a building you still fall...

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If the average weight of a human (including children) is 50kg, and there are 8 billion of them, then total human mass is about 400 billion tonnes.
    8,000,000,000 * 50 = 400 billion kilos, or /1000 = 400m tons.

The density of neutron stars is in the region 3.7×10^17 to 5.9×10^17 kg/m3, so the average comes out at 4.8×10^17 kg/m3. 400 billion kilos at 4.8×10^17 kg/m3 indicates a volume of 8.3 ×10^-7 m^3, or 0.83 cubic centimeters, 830 cubic mm (cube of 9.4 mm edge). The internet suggests that the average sugar cube has an edge of 0.465 inches, around 11.8mm giving a volume of 1643 cubic mm. So, humanity occupies 830 cu.mm, while the sugar occupies 1643 cu.mm, so the estimate that the collected mass of humanity would occupy the same space as a cube of sugar is off by almost exactly 50%.

Conclusion - one sugar cube of your average neutron star would almost balance two complete doses of humanity.

Pop science indeed!

D'oh!

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    8,000,000,000 * 50 = 400 billion kilos, or /1000 = 400m tons.

The density of neutron stars is in the region 3.7×10^17 to 5.9×10^17 kg/m3, so the average comes out at 4.8×10^17 kg/m3. 400 billion kilos at 4.8×10^17 kg/m3 indicates a volume of 8.3 ×10^-7 m^3, or 0.83 cubic centimeters, 830 cubic mm (cube of 9.4 mm edge). The internet suggests that the average sugar cube has an edge of 0.465 inches, around 11.8mm giving a volume of 1643 cubic mm. So, humanity occupies 830 cu.mm, while the sugar occupies 1643 cu.mm, so the estimate that the collected mass of humanity would occupy the same space as a cube of sugar is off by almost exactly 50%.

Conclusion - one sugar cube of your average neutron star would almost balance two complete doses of humanity.

Pop science indeed!

Calculus :eek:

*backs slowly out of thread*

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Calculus
    Arithmetic!

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Arithmetic!

Numbers with symbols and squiggly things!!

All God's language, Maths.

All God's language, Maths.

There is no God.

:D

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    There is no God.

:D

Translate to mathematics is zero, a number!

What have I done? :eek:

Scrap the cap!

Translate to mathematics is zero, a number!

A number invented by the Mesopotamians and employed by the Persians to create the jebra (algebra) used in the maths above. God had sweet FA to do with it, Allah for the win :pac:

A number invented by the Mesopotamians and employed by the Persians to create the jebra (algebra) used in the maths above. God had sweet FA to do with it, Allah for the win :pac:

Surely mathematics is a way to describe the workings of the universe and its processes and predates any invention and is more of a discovery of the laws of the cosmos.

Surely mathematics is a way to describe the workings of the universe and its processes and predates any invention and is more of a discovery of the laws of the cosmos.

It's obviously open for debate, but I personally go with the notion that mathematics is a very succinct and precise language for describing ideas. As such, it is a human construct which is evolving with us as we explore and refine abstract notions. Much like other human languages, there are multiple ways to describe or express the same thing. e.g. we can define relationships between points in space geometrically, trigonometrically, using vectors, using matrices and using quaternions or various mixtures of the same. We can describe the same objects in space using Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, barycentric coordinates etc... and most likely someone will come up with other ways of describing the same thing more eloquently.

I personally don't hold that mathematics need have any relationship to the physical universe and is better thought of in the abstract.

It's obviously open for debate, but I personally go with the notion that mathematics is a very succinct and precise language for describing ideas. As such, it is a human construct which is evolving with us as we explore and refine abstract notions. Much like other human languages, there are multiple ways to describe or express the same thing. e.g. we can define relationships between points in space geometrically, trigonometrically, using vectors, using matrices and using quaternions or various mixtures of the same. We can describe the same objects in space using Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, barycentric coordinates etc... and most likely someone will come up with other ways of describing the same thing more eloquently.

I personally don't hold that mathematics need have any relationship to the physical universe and is better thought of in the abstract.

It may not need to have a relationship to the universe but the physical universe needs a relationship to it.

Interesting extract below..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis#Observability

• Advertisement

What have I done? :eek:
    You Committed an Error in a forum where Incorrect Thinking is Not Permitted!

Your friendly forum moderators will consult their Handmaid's book for a suitable corrective.

Advertisement