Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you believe happens when we die

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

monara wrote: »
    Yes there are lots of things we cannot see which might be true. And then again, they might'nt.

True.

Often everything the experts say is taken as gospel and fact, when in fact it is only a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭monara

I agree. There are millions of experts (and smart alecs) with millions of unproven and unprovable theories but only one reality. ( I think).

I will neither assume there ever was nothing, nor will I assume there always was something.

But at least we do all agree that there is something now. Just in case some of our posters might be thinking they did'nt exist after all.

saabsaab wrote: »
    They said that if you had a group of monkeys typing away for infinity you would eventually get the complete works of Shakespeare!

Who said this? No one on this thread I hope.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Infinate monkey theorem!

see below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

Implies that anything is possible with an infinity to do it.

• Advertisement

Infinate monkey theorem!

see below

Thanks. Very interesting. Does this mean that with an infinity of time we could make gods of ourselves?:pac:

Thanks. Very interesting. Does this mean that with an infinity of time we could make gods of ourselves?:pac:

Hail Monara!

Apologies to any supreme being.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Alas we'd need to be immortal to have enough time to do this which leaves us with an almighty chicken and egg problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,101 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Infinate monkey theorem!

see below

So are you saying if I had infinity to do the lotto twice a week, I would eventually get 3 numbers?

NIMAN wrote: »
    So are you saying if I had infinity to do the lotto twice a week, I would eventually get 3 numbers?
    With an infinity of time you would get all the numbers, and all the time you needed to enjoy your winnings.

• Advertisement

Hail Monara!

Apologies to any supreme being.
    No apologies necessary. I forgive you.

But we do not know it "happened from nothing", thats the problem. The Big bang was the sudden expansion of a singularity of infinite density and mass. That is not "nothing". It is as much the opposite of nothing as I am able to imagine.

Well that clears up everything very nicely. And if you don't know what a singularity of infinite density is you don't know nothing.
    ]

At that point no one knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Prayers are answered all the time. It's just that often the answer is "no".

Life ain't always empty.

And I understand from physicists that the elements from which our bodies are composed began formation at the Big Bang, 16 billion years ago or so; so we were a long time coming. And physicists assure me that if we were reduced to these elements only, we would be microscopic particles invisible to the naked eye; and that the particles of all the people on earth would fit into a cube the size of a cube of sugar. I am not a physicist but take it for what its worth.

Aaaagggghhh! Pop-science overload!

The big bang is estimated to have occurred 13.8 billion years ago - close enough I suppose!

Hydrogen (the simplest element, atomic number 1) formed within minutes of the BB along with very small quantities of other very light elements. Helium (atomic number 2) made up about a quarter of the mass of the early elements, lithium (atomic number 3) only a billionth.

Hydrogen and helium clouds can collapse under their own gravity to form stars. All heavier elements - including the basis of life, carbon - had to wait until these stars reached the end of their lives and exploded into supernovae until they could be formed. Even for the largest (shortest lived) stars, this is tens of millions of years. (Our sun is estimated to have a 10 billion year lifespan and we're about halfway through.)

Elements vs. molecules is a question of chemistry i.e. atoms bonding electronically together. The atoms themselves don't change. Confusion can arise because the word "element" describes both a fundamental type of atom (i.e. a unique atomic number), and a pure sample of a substance composed of atoms all with the same atomic number. So if you changed all the molecules in your body into their elemental form, your body would no longer exist but all of the atoms which made it up would remain entirely unchanged.

Now it is true that atoms consist almost entirely of empty space - but the only way to squash away this empty space is within an extremely dense object - a black hole or a neutron star which both can arise from the core of dying stars. When the star stops "burning", depending on its mass there is no longer enough energy to stop gravity collapsing it to the point where atoms can no longer exist within it. Gravity on the surface of a neutron star would be about 100 billion times greater than on Earth. 1cc of neutron star would weigh about 400 million tonnes. If the average weight of a human (including children) is 50kg, and there are 8 billion of them, then total human mass is about 400 billion tonnes.

So you would need about a litre of this super dense neutron star stuff to fit in all the particles of all the people on earth :)

Life ain't always empty.

NIMAN wrote: »
    True.

Often everything the experts say is taken as gospel and fact, when in fact it is only a theory.

Gravity is a theory, but if you leap off the top of a building you still fall...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If the average weight of a human (including children) is 50kg, and there are 8 billion of them, then total human mass is about 400 billion tonnes.
    8,000,000,000 * 50 = 400 billion kilos, or /1000 = 400m tons.

The density of neutron stars is in the region 3.7×10^17 to 5.9×10^17 kg/m3, so the average comes out at 4.8×10^17 kg/m3. 400 billion kilos at 4.8×10^17 kg/m3 indicates a volume of 8.3 ×10^-7 m^3, or 0.83 cubic centimeters, 830 cubic mm (cube of 9.4 mm edge). The internet suggests that the average sugar cube has an edge of 0.465 inches, around 11.8mm giving a volume of 1643 cubic mm. So, humanity occupies 830 cu.mm, while the sugar occupies 1643 cu.mm, so the estimate that the collected mass of humanity would occupy the same space as a cube of sugar is off by almost exactly 50%.

Conclusion - one sugar cube of your average neutron star would almost balance two complete doses of humanity.

Pop science indeed!

D'oh!

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    8,000,000,000 * 50 = 400 billion kilos, or /1000 = 400m tons.

The density of neutron stars is in the region 3.7×10^17 to 5.9×10^17 kg/m3, so the average comes out at 4.8×10^17 kg/m3. 400 billion kilos at 4.8×10^17 kg/m3 indicates a volume of 8.3 ×10^-7 m^3, or 0.83 cubic centimeters, 830 cubic mm (cube of 9.4 mm edge). The internet suggests that the average sugar cube has an edge of 0.465 inches, around 11.8mm giving a volume of 1643 cubic mm. So, humanity occupies 830 cu.mm, while the sugar occupies 1643 cu.mm, so the estimate that the collected mass of humanity would occupy the same space as a cube of sugar is off by almost exactly 50%.

Conclusion - one sugar cube of your average neutron star would almost balance two complete doses of humanity.

Pop science indeed!

Calculus :eek:

*backs slowly out of thread*

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Calculus
    Arithmetic!

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Arithmetic!

Numbers with symbols and squiggly things!!

All God's language, Maths.

All God's language, Maths.

There is no God.

:D

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    There is no God.

:D

Translate to mathematics is zero, a number!

What have I done? :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

Translate to mathematics is zero, a number!

A number invented by the Mesopotamians and employed by the Persians to create the jebra (algebra) used in the maths above. God had sweet FA to do with it, Allah for the win :pac:

smacl wrote: »
    A number invented by the Mesopotamians and employed by the Persians to create the jebra (algebra) used in the maths above. God had sweet FA to do with it, Allah for the win :pac:

Surely mathematics is a way to describe the workings of the universe and its processes and predates any invention and is more of a discovery of the laws of the cosmos.

Surely mathematics is a way to describe the workings of the universe and its processes and predates any invention and is more of a discovery of the laws of the cosmos.

It's obviously open for debate, but I personally go with the notion that mathematics is a very succinct and precise language for describing ideas. As such, it is a human construct which is evolving with us as we explore and refine abstract notions. Much like other human languages, there are multiple ways to describe or express the same thing. e.g. we can define relationships between points in space geometrically, trigonometrically, using vectors, using matrices and using quaternions or various mixtures of the same. We can describe the same objects in space using Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, barycentric coordinates etc... and most likely someone will come up with other ways of describing the same thing more eloquently.

I personally don't hold that mathematics need have any relationship to the physical universe and is better thought of in the abstract.

smacl wrote: »
    It's obviously open for debate, but I personally go with the notion that mathematics is a very succinct and precise language for describing ideas. As such, it is a human construct which is evolving with us as we explore and refine abstract notions. Much like other human languages, there are multiple ways to describe or express the same thing. e.g. we can define relationships between points in space geometrically, trigonometrically, using vectors, using matrices and using quaternions or various mixtures of the same. We can describe the same objects in space using Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, barycentric coordinates etc... and most likely someone will come up with other ways of describing the same thing more eloquently.

I personally don't hold that mathematics need have any relationship to the physical universe and is better thought of in the abstract.

It may not need to have a relationship to the universe but the physical universe needs a relationship to it.

Interesting extract below..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis#Observability

• Advertisement

What have I done? :eek:
    You Committed an Error in a forum where Incorrect Thinking is Not Permitted!

Your friendly forum moderators will consult their Handmaid's book for a suitable corrective.

Advertisement