Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

flazio wrote: »
    I wouldn't be using the pandemic as a reason to develop amenities like this. The vaccine will be readily available by the time work is finished and life would return to normal.
    Another point is that Bord na Mona used to run a tour train around their bog outside of Shannonbridge. Clearly didn't do all that well and doesn't run anymore. Would suggest that the light rail idea is a non runner.
    Clonmacnoise is close to a village called Belmont which has a double lock gate on the Grand Canal. If they ever develop the Grand Canal Greenway like the one on the Royal Canal you have the makings of a great cycling holiday. Set off from Dublin down the Royal Canal to Mullingar, Old Rail Trail to Athlone, this new route to Clonmacnoise, join the Grand Canal route in Belmont, back to Dublin.
    There's talk as well about developing on Bord na Monas bog lines west of the Shannon which ran on Grand Canal route into Ballinasloe.

A lot of posters here claim they want to make Ireland accessible to all. Not every is able to or wishes to hop on a bike or shanks mare it everywhere.
    Just because an attraction is not around now doesn't follow that it wasn't popular in its time and worthy of revival now in the era of eco tourism and in an area which will be hard hit in the wake of turf industry wind down, esp if you know nothing of the reasons behind the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

flazio wrote: »
    I wouldn't be using the pandemic as a reason to develop amenities like this. The vaccine will be readily available by the time work is finished and life would return to normal.
    Another point is that Bord na Mona used to run a tour train around their bog outside of Shannonbridge. Clearly didn't do all that well and doesn't run anymore. Would suggest that the light rail idea is a non runner.
    Clonmacnoise is close to a village called Belmont which has a double lock gate on the Grand Canal. If they ever develop the Grand Canal Greenway like the one on the Royal Canal you have the makings of a great cycling holiday. Set off from Dublin down the Royal Canal to Mullingar, Old Rail Trail to Athlone, this new route to Clonmacnoise, join the Grand Canal route in Belmont, back to Dublin.
    There's talk as well about developing on Bord na Monas bog lines west of the Shannon which ran on Grand Canal route into Ballinasloe.

I don't think the pandemic is being used as an excuse, it's just landed in the timeline. I'm not sure if they've pinned down these routes exactly, but I know, regarding the Eurovelo, they were exploring taking the route down to Clonmacnoise and cross to Galway, on the Shannon there over two years back. Maybe it's all still on the table and there's an element of public participation still to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Greaney wrote: »
    I don't think the pandemic is being used as an excuse, it's just landed in the timeline. I'm not sure if they've pinned down these routes exactly, but I know, regarding the Eurovelo, they were exploring taking the route down to Clonmacnoise and cross to Galway, on the Shannon there over two years back. Maybe it's all still on the table and there's an element of public participation still to play.

I would hope that any 'temporary' cycleways put in place will be monitored for use and potential issues, Dublin seems to be taking it very proactively with clear process for requesting improvements. The more info can be gathered from these temporary changes the more chance of good permanent structures being put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Update from Cavan here and some pictures here.

Should be able to mark that one green on the map soon enough.

Update from Cavan here and some pictures here.

Should be able to mark that one green on the map soon enough.

Haha, just finished adding the specific route to the map when i saw this post! Will be happy to turn it green at the end of the month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Chatting to a mate earlier. The new weir across the Shannon at Meelick was days from completion, but the builder went bust recently...

However, the design incorporated a walk/cycle way across the top of it linking Galway and Offaly at Victoria lock. A Fort on the island was tidied up a but too to make it a bit more attractive for a stop.

Mentioning as its part of the 'potential' Shannon blue route

Grassey wrote: »
    Chatting to a mate earlier. The new weir across the Shannon at Meelick was days from completion, but the builder went bust recently...

However, the design incorporated a walk/cycle way across the top of it linking Galway and Offaly at Victoria lock. A Fort on the island was tidied up a but too to make it a bit more attractive for a stop.

Mentioning as its part of the 'potential' Shannon blue route

Found an image of where it was in early June, definitely at an advanced stage

https://twitter.com/struccie/status/1271565726537613313/photo/1

I was in Athlone at the weekend (cycled both the royal canal from Ballymahon to Mullingar and the old rail trail from Mullingar to Athlone as part of a loop). I was really disappointed to see no progress on the section beyond the white gates to Montree following the installation of the underpass to the railway line in Easter 2019. Googling seems to suggest they're aiming for completion of that section by Easter 2021, with preliminary drilling underway for the bridge across the Shannon.

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/06/06/preliminary-site-work-starts-for-greenway-bridge-over-shannon/

Here's a view from earlier this week.

Work begins on €5.6 million greenway by the River Dodder
    WORK STARTED TODAY on a multi-million euro greenway by the River Dodder in Dublin.

South Dublin County Council is building three new pedestrian and cycle bridges, 750 metres of new path and 2.6km of upgraded paths.

This phase of the project will cost approximately €5.6 million.

https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/transport/cycle-tracks-and-greenway-schemes/dodder-greenway-route/

• Advertisement

Local authority urged to back Clonmacnoise to Athlone greenway campaign

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/07/15/council-urged-to-back-athlone-to-clonmacnoise-greenway-idea/

Grassey wrote: »

Just looking through the SDCC plans there, no sign of Lucan to Celbridge works for the Grand Canal?

A new one to add to the map, copied from the cycling forum :D

I'm struggling to find the exact route, though White bridge as mentioned in it is located here.
    Soon one will hopefully be able to cycle all the way from Dublin along the Royal Canal and holiday at Centre Parcs.

http://www.longfordcoco.ie/longfordcoco/services/regeneration/outdoor-recreational-infrastructure-scheme/newcastle-woods-to-the-royal-canal-greenway.html

'This walk represents a significant piece of infrastructure in the delivery of a high quality, off-road network of trails throughout County Longford. It links the Newcastle Woods and the recently opened White Bridge and Center Parcs with the Royal Canal Greenway. This piece of work will allow users to travel from Dublin along the Greenway and into Center Parcs. This will increase the attractiveness of Longford and the wider Hidden Heartlands as a destination of choice for holiday makers.'

Managed to figure out the route through the wood, looks like they have put together a series of nice trails in there, not sure how it links in to the Royal. Would appreciate some documentation if anyone is down that way!

Yeah I hope it's not via the N55 as per the map update, although it would explain why I didn't see an obvious connection when I was on the canal greenway itself!

Strange that there's no obvious route available through searching though. Did you piece that together using Google Earth or did you find something on it?

Yeah I hope it's not via the N55 as per the map update, although it would explain why I didn't see an obvious connection when I was on the canal greenway itself!

Strange that there's no obvious route available through searching though. Did you piece that together using Google Earth or did you find something on it?

Pieced together using a fairly up to date satellite image viewer satellites.pro

I planned to have a search for a route map for it but didn't have time last night

I tweeted the Royal Canal Greenway account on Twitter in response to their tweet about this, will let you know if they reply.

Edit, here you go. So it follows the River Inny which is a much better answer!

https://twitter.com/royalgreenway/status/1286307842526531584?s=19

Saw a paper clipping [donegaldemocrat] that Donegal County Council have applied for funding for 4 new projects:

* Muff to Quigleys Point
    * Buncrana to Carndonagh
    * Carrigans to Castlefinn (part of Foyle Valley Greenway)

Greenways also planned for:
    * Burtonpoint to Letterkenny
    * Ballybofey to Donegal town (via Barnsemore gap)

Work is underway:
    * 10km Muff to Derry route
    * Planning submitted for route between Derry and Bridgeend (which is to continue along old LondonDerry and Lough Swilly Line, to Tooban, then Monorcunningham to Letterkenny)
    * NWRD have released funding to recruit a resouce to carry out further feasibility studies into more cross border routes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Great to see the above post about Donegal.

Given the coalition Government's policy on cycling facilities funding, it would be fantastic to see other councils being proactive and getting ducks in a row to unlock some of this funding for Greenways.

In particular, Cork County Council and the incredible wasted asset that is the West Cork Railways (yes there is going to be issues with land acquisition but there are some stunning structures there that could be reused - plus a fantastic route into Cork City from the SW).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Burtonport to Letterkenny? Oh that’s very interesting! Curious what the route for that could be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

MJohnston wrote: »
    Burtonport to Letterkenny? Oh that’s very interesting! Curious what the route for that could be

Presumably it would be along the old railway line

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonderry_and_Lough_Swilly_Railway

Presumably it would be along the old railway line

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonderry_and_Lough_Swilly_Railway

Selfishly, that would be an excellent route - I've family up in Falcarragh.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Selfishly, that would be an excellent route - I've family up in Falcarragh.

Unselfishly it would be a fantastic route! Passes through some of the most stunning scenery in Ireland!

Unselfishly it would be a fantastic route! Passes through some of the most stunning scenery in Ireland!

A branch to Glenveagh wouldn't go amiss!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

marno21 wrote: »
    Great to see the above post about Donegal.

Given the coalition Government's policy on cycling facilities funding, it would be fantastic to see other councils being proactive and getting ducks in a row to unlock some of this funding for Greenways.

In particular, Cork County Council and the incredible wasted asset that is the West Cork Railways (yes there is going to be issues with land acquisition but there are some stunning structures there that could be reused - plus a fantastic route into Cork City from the SW).

West Cork not a hope as a long distance trail or set of trails, Donegal is a more realistic prospect as the land there generally is far less developed from an agri point of view.

Over 25 new greenways planned with €4.5m funding
    The Minister said he was particularly pleased that greenway proposals in Longford, Roscommon and Offaly had been included in the funding ...
    Projects allocated funding include the Barrow Valley Greenway in Carlow, the Cavan Railway Greenway, the West Clare Railway Greenway, and the Fingal Coastal Way in Dublin.

Also

97-000-funding-for-kildare-grand-canal-greenway-from-sallins-to-clonkeen.html

funding-awarded-to-develop-plans-for-two-new-athlone-area-greenways/

200-000-funding-announced-for-works-on-suir-blueway-tipperary.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

As above...
    Funding awarded to develop plans for two new Athlone-area Greenways

The Government has today announced funding towards the development of 26 new Greenway projects, including a 'Lough Ree Greenway' and another that would link Athlone with Shannonbridge in Offaly.

The two local initiatives are at an early stage of development and they were awarded funding today for feasibility work that would allow the plans to progress further.

Read Full Story

Also seen:

€140K for design and environmental study of 17km of Connemara Greenway from Clifden to Kylemore Abbey
    €100K for design and environmental study of 8km of Connemara Greenway from Clifden to Derriglimlagh
    €75K foncept and feasibility design for Quietman Greenway - Athenry to Milltown

Full details below
    Link to article

Minister Eamon Ryan, T.D. Minister for Climate Change, Communications Networks and Transport, today announced funding of €4.5m to 26 Greenway Projects. The funding was allocated under the Carbon Tax Fund 2020 and provides support for feasibility, planning and design for Greenways around the country.

Minister Ryan stated: “I’m delighted to be able to announce this funding today, that will support the Greenways Strategy and help local authorities prepare Greenway projects to be ready for construction funding in the coming years. These greenways will encourage tourism in the future, and will also provide a safe, segregated space for people walking and cycling”

Minister Ryan added; “I’m particularly pleased that a number of Greenway proposals in the areas supported by the Just Transition Fund have been funded today – these projects in Longford, Roscommon and Offaly will benefit from this funding and follows the recommendation in Kieran Mulvey’s report for greater co-operation between local authorities in the area.”

The inclusion of funding for the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Greenway is particularly important in terms of continued work on a cross-border basis and shows our commitment to “New Decade, New Approach” as set out in the Programme for Government.”

Minister Catherine Martin TD, Minister for Media, Tourism, Art, Culture and the Gaeltacht, also welcomed the announcement: “Greenways can play an important role in supporting local communities to create jobs and bring visitors to areas of the country that might not otherwise experience tourism. As we have seen over the course of the lockdown, people are eager to get out into nature and avail of the stunning scenery in our country.”

521449.jpg

521450.jpg

521451.jpg

• Advertisement

Time to get busy updating the map I suppose :D

Advertisement