Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

Ah, its probably the 2 new bridges.

Bridges always be slowing things down!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've given up being annoyed at how long that cycle path is taking to build. Over a decade in planning at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can see the one in North Strand getting a bit ropey at some stage. Already gangs of locals hanging out there, with horse and trap, and sh*te all over the greenway. It may not be the most pleasant place when the shorter days come along, but at least it's lit up and there appear to be cameras too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I can see the one in North Strand getting a bit ropey at some stage. Already gangs of locals hanging out there, with horse and trap, and sh*te all over the greenway. It may not be the most pleasant place when the shorter days come along, but at least it's lit up and there appear to be cameras too.

I walked it the day after opening. It was really crowded and no scruff bags about but I can definitely see it being taken over by the local teenagers. It's only a matter of time until someone will be mugged along that stretch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Contract awarded for the lifting of rails and sleepers on the Waterford-New Ross line, plus construction of 2 bridges

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/163614/0/1?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

MJohnston wrote:
    2.2km of cycleways along Seapoint Avenue, DLR from Newtown Ave to York Road completed:

And now to start on Carysfort Ave to be finished by end of month.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/transportation-infrastructure/carysfort-avenue-mobility-interventions

And Newtown Park ave
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news/installation-protected-cycle-lane-newtownpark-avenue

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I walked it the day after opening. It was really crowded and no scruff bags about but I can definitely see it being taken over by the local teenagers. It's only a matter of time until someone will be mugged along that stretch.

I got sent a video on whatsapp this evening of about 50 little scumbags in a mass brawl at the Luke Kelly statue, the entrance to the greenway, lol.
    Apparently it was Pearse St V Sheriffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cars-to-give-way-for-sandymount-cycle-path-1.4324957?mode=amp
    A one-way car ban is to be implemented on Strand Road, the scenic coast road in Sandymount, to accommodate a two-way cycle track along Dublin Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I got sent a video on whatsapp this evening of about 50 little scumbags in a mass brawl at the Luke Kelly statue, the entrance to the greenway, lol.
    Apparently it was Pearse St V Sheriffer.

Must be the video I seen on Tiktok (since been taken down). Imagine being stuck on the Greenway with that happening.

https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news/mallon-announces-opening-new-walking-and-cycling-path-blaris-lisburn

A new walking and cycling path, to be known as the ‘Blaris Greenway’, has been officially opened by Minister Nichola Mallon.

The new 1.4 kilometre traffic-free path links Blaris Road to Sprucefield Retail Park and Sprucefield Park & Ride. It will provide a direct link to enable people to walk or cycle on to Union Locks, Lisburn and the Lagan Towpath.

The Blaris Greenway, links both Sprucefield Retail Park and the Sprucefield Park & Ride to Lisburn and onwards to Belfast City Centre via Union Locks and the Lagan Towpath to give 20 kilometres of virtually traffic free walking and cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/news/mallon-announces-opening-new-walking-and-cycling-path-blaris-lisburn

A new walking and cycling path, to be known as the ‘Blaris Greenway’, has been officially opened by Minister Nichola Mallon.

The new 1.4 kilometre traffic-free path links Blaris Road to Sprucefield Retail Park and Sprucefield Park & Ride. It will provide a direct link to enable people to walk or cycle on to Union Locks, Lisburn and the Lagan Towpath.

The Blaris Greenway, links both Sprucefield Retail Park and the Sprucefield Park & Ride to Lisburn and onwards to Belfast City Centre via Union Locks and the Lagan Towpath to give 20 kilometres of virtually traffic free walking and cycling.

This ties in to a potential route across to Moira, where it could rejoin what remains of the Lagan Navigation. Its a real shame that its vanishingly unlikely we will ever see canal linking Belfast to Dublin again...

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Was down in Dungarvan last week and cycled some of the Greenway. Was excellent apart from the weather.

As a keen hobby cyclist I was happy to continue as far along as I could, only problem was I was with my partner and another couple that wouldnt generally cycle, plus I was on a rented bike. I'll be bringing my own bike next time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/concerns-surface-over-intimidation-on-new-royal-canal-cycle-path-1.4331573

Hardly open a wet week and the local scumbags are ruining it for everyone already. Imagine what it'll be like when dark evenings kick in. I think many of us will stick to the old roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Hardly open a wet week and the local scumbags are ruining it for everyone already. Imagine what it'll be like when dark evenings kick in. I think many of us will stick to the old roads.

What an awful shame that would be. Once again the work-shy, simple vermin are ruining or attempting to ruin vital infrastructure in our towns and cities.

A lot has been highlighted about the scrote culture this week. The authorities and judicial systems absolutely need to get tough on them, for the sake of society as a whole

no.8 wrote: »
    What an awful shame that would be. Once again the work-shy, simple vermin are ruining or attempting to ruin vital infrastructure in our towns and cities.

A lot has been highlighted about the scrote culture this week. The authorities and judicial systems absolutely need to get tough on them, for the sake of society as a whole

That area in particular where the greenway passes through is rough af. People will be attacked trying to get to and from work. The gangs of kids seem to be getting bigger around there, my last gfs place looked onto Sheriff st and some of the stuff we'd see from the balcony...
    There's already been scramblers and horses and kids blocking the path on decent citizens. Unless there are garda there full time this will probably just become a no go area, although the morning commute should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The kids (by the by, they are 100% kids, so the "work-shy" label used above is...weird) are attacking the houses on Sheriff Street with stones. And the Sheriff Street residents were the ones saying they didn't want permeability here.

So it's relatively unlikely these kids are from Sheriff Street, more likely they're coming down from the flats on North Strand.

I recommend reading this Irish Times story on the problem to understand more of the nuance:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/concerns-surface-over-intimidation-on-new-royal-canal-cycle-path-1.4331573

MJohnston wrote: »
    The kids (by the by, they are 100% kids, so the "work-shy" label used above is...weird) are attacking the houses on Sheriff Street with stones. And the Sheriff Street residents were the ones saying they didn't want permeability here.

So it's relatively unlikely these kids are from Sheriff Street, more likely they're coming down from the flats on North Strand.

I recommend reading this Irish Times story on the problem to understand more of the nuance:

In fairness although they're kids, I'm pretty sure they're already work shy. I read the times article, but no doubt the kids from the estate they're throwing stones at will be up to no good on the greenway too. The whole area is the dregs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is something i've been worried about in relation to the proposed stretch between castleknock and coolmine railway stations - if it's built on the castleknock side of the canal (as many local residents want), it will result in a 2km stretch without any entry/exit points - the greenway will be 'trapped' between the railway line and the canal.
    so if you did meet someone you wanted to avoid, and you're already three quarters of the way along the section, you'd have to backtrack one and a half kilometres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

this is something i've been worried about in relation to the proposed stretch between castleknock and coolmine railway stations - if it's built on the castleknock side of the canal (as many local residents want), it will result in a 2km stretch without any entry/exit points - the greenway will be 'trapped' between the railway line and the canal.
    so if you did meet someone you wanted to avoid, and you're already three quarters of the way along the section, you'd have to backtrack one and a half kilometres.

I'd be far less worried about that than the North Strand section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bombidol2

I live on Ossory Road just facing the new bridge down to the greenway and it's been hell since it opened. I was really looking forward to it opening as we've been watching its development for three years. A new place to walk the dog, a quick way to point village for then cinema etc. But all that's happened is me calling the cops twice a day because of little scumbag kids shooting rockets at each other and at my road. The poor dog is going to have a heart attack as he's sensitive to fireworks at the best of times. Now it's happening outside our door.

I've called the police twice a day for two weeks now and not once have I seen a garda present over there. It's honestly ruined the area for me and we are now considering moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Garda presence is definitely warranted, but wouldn't be a long term fix, definitely needs to be a push to massively reduce the incidence of scrotes hanging around, especially at peak times. Some good after schools programmes etc, maybe coupled with those super annoying high frequency noise generators along this stretch, have them play during the key time for commuters etc, wouldn't be too problematic for anyone passing through but would discourage young people hanging around.

It's new so it's obviously going to be popular for a while but fingers crossed it dies down soon. I really believe the only thing that will work is bicycle garda or foot patrol every hour or so for a while.

Garda presence is definitely warranted, but wouldn't be a long term fix, definitely needs to be a push to massively reduce the incidence of scrotes hanging around, especially at peak times. Some good after schools programmes etc, maybe coupled with those super annoying high frequency noise generators along this stretch, have them play during the key time for commuters etc, wouldn't be too problematic for anyone passing through but would discourage young people hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

bombidol2 wrote: »
    I really believe the only thing that will work is bicycle garda or foot patrol every hour or so for a while.
    While I can't see that happening, CCTV installation would help in targetting when to do the patrols.

Was on the phone to store street station yesterday about kids with fireworks and they said they would check the cctv and send someone down. They didn't.

serfboard wrote: »
    While I can't see that happening, CCTV installation would help in targetting when to do the patrols.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

bombidol2 wrote: »
    Was on the phone to store street station yesterday about kids with fireworks and they said they would check the cctv and send someone down. They didn't.

Who is your local TD or Councilor? Could you contact them and maybe give details of what's happened and the lack of reaction from the Guards?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Who is your local TD or Councilor? Could you contact them and maybe give details of what's happened and the lack of reaction from the Guards?

Or contact Hazel Chu, our Green Party Lord Mayor.

lordmayor@dublincity.ie

After all, she did open it recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The social problems of inner city Dublin might be best kept on a dedicated thread as harsh as that sounds or it could end up dominating this one!

Mod: Leave the modding to the mods please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Waterford Greenway account on fb saying that it's closed near the Ballyvoyle tunnel due to fallen trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Work has started close to me on the Barrow Blueway, roughly from a little east of Glenaree bridge to lock 20 at Ballyteague.

523752.jpg

Hopefully they'll make good progress back towards Rathangan.

I understand there's another site close to Athy but haven't seen that myself.

Edit: changed source of photo

Advertisement