Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I kind of lost it a bit this evening. I’ve been cocooning since the lockdown ( actually a few days before that), now that the teaching stuff is finishing up, I’m a bit lost as to what happens next. Not certain I’ll be returning to teaching at all. No exam work coming up. I’ve so much to be grateful for but I admit it’s been a tough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I kind of lost it a bit this evening. I’ve been cocooning since the lockdown ( actually a few days before that), now that the teaching stuff is finishing up, I’m a bit lost as to what happens next. Not certain I’ll be returning to teaching at all. No exam work coming up. I’ve so much to be grateful for but I admit it’s been a tough day.

Hope you feeling a bit better today PG. Uncertainly can be tough and can lead to the mind racing and thinking too many things. I know its an old adage however one day at a time.......

Thanks TRS30. Better day today. Have a plan to get painting this week so rounding up bits and pieces for that. Can’t go get the paint myself though. Miss just going in and getting things myself.

Good to hear :)

Just on the paint, we order some recently for the kids from Baker Ross, so might be worth looking at.

PS. Just reread your post and you didn't specify what kind of painting, so could be any kind, D'oh! I assume you guessed my suggestion related to art paint!

Yes it’s house paint ! I love Baker Ross , I just sent off a kit of stuff from them off to my little cousins to keep them busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

At around midnight when I'm looking for my picture for the Christmas Countdown before they may have been a car, bus number, product,etc. Now I nearly always get a picture of a man in a suit and saying the amount of Covid-19 cases they are.

At around midnight when I'm looking for my picture for the Christmas Countdown before they may have been a car, bus number, product,etc. Now I nearly always get a picture of a man in a suit and saying the amount of Covid-19 cases they are.

Unfortunately the world we live in these days :(

Ps, lovely the variety of the countdown pictures :D is that Nicholas Cage film any good??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, I love the variety!

Only a week and a half and we will be into the hundreds! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Guys bear with me but I have a weird sense that the whole summer this year is going to be a bit of a write off due to the C19 restrictions. It’s almost like we are all waiting to kick off normality again

I’m almost pining for September time to come and then October and really get into the festive spirit!

It's not just your weird sense- of course the whole summer will be a write off!

We just have to focus on Christmas now. Which is nothing new here, to be fair. :D

• Advertisement

As has been said before 2020 will be remembered as.......Christmas 2019, two months of post Christmas blues, lockdown, Christmas 2020 build up :)

We're into the 200's!

I was on Facebook last night and a pop up ad come up for Smyth's saying you could register to receive there big Catalogue!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I was on Facebook last night and a pop up ad come up for Smyth's saying you could register to receive there big Catalogue!

Vaguely remember getting an email each year when the kids were ickle about the big Christmas catalogue, was always around exam time IIRC so that makes sense.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

18765690_1700417389998362_3750027589181950213_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=2d5d41&_nc_ohc=dc6OI9ybrXIAX9E4Kyx&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=3355c97fa04f3dd39e7806708cdcff18&oe=5EFAA53D

Hope everyone had a good long weekend and managed to enjoy the amazing weather. Seems like I spent most of mine running around with sun cream in my hand trying to make sure no one got burnt!

Getting very close the one hundreds in the countdown, always a big milestone for us Christmas nerds :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

P20 is your only man for sun protection.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Getting very close the one hundreds in the countdown, always a big milestone for us Christmas nerds :cool:

This day week is day 199!!!

As I've said a few times now, once we reach that date the countdown really seems to accelerate, then when we get into the double digits we're half way through September and starting to see stuff appearing in shops etc.

I'm so looking forward to the build up this year, I just hope & pray we avoid a covid backlash that would mean further restrictions or lockdowns as I'll put my hands up & admit that I'm not sure I'd have the mental/emotional strength to go through all this again.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I think Christmas will be effected a bit by Covid. A few companies who have to prepare or order for Christmas in the months between March and July have been greatly affected or simply not been staffed.

Hopefully it's just a few things that we feel a knock on from this, I saw a show once and a Christmas pudding factory make theirs in March so they can mature.

The Christmas spirit is in us here so it's the people we spend Christmas with not the stuff that comes with it :)

I think Christmas will be effected a bit by Covid. A few companies who have to prepare or order for Christmas in the months between March and July have been greatly affected or simply not been staffed.

I was only reading recently that a lot of the press launches for christmas in the UK start around June, and that this year they were expected to be very low key & possibly virtual affairs (normally they're big things with the media in attendance and quite secretive) so theres already an impact.

I had a post on here recently as well about a client of ours already feeling the an impact on their christmas preparations... mad to think how far out so many things start unbeknownst to most of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Hopefully it's just a few things that we feel a knock on from this, I saw a show once and a Christmas pudding factory make theirs in March so they can mature.

The Christmas spirit is in us here so it's the people we spend Christmas with not the stuff that comes with it :)

Just panicked a bit there when you mentioned there might be no Christmas Puddings this year:mad:

Thankfully I still have one in the kitchen dated to Feb 21:D

I was going to eat it but might hoard it now!!

You are right though, Christmas Spirit and our families will see us through this year please God, and for many more to come.

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Thankfully I still have one in the kitchen dated to Feb 21:D
    Me too. :D

Posy wrote: »
    Me too. :D

Me three.

I also think the ads are going to be cringy basically reminding us of the year!

Oh nooo- I already want to forget about this year, and we're not even half way through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Don't a lot of Christmas TV and specials get filmed this time of year in preparation?

I think I remember pictures got leaked last year around June of the Gavin and Stacy one off and they had fake snow floating down over Barry Island.

Don't a lot of Christmas TV and specials get filmed this time of year in preparation?

I think I remember pictures got leaked last year around June of the Gavin and Stacy one off and they had fake snow floating down over Barry Island.

Yea, a lot of Christmas things start happening around now in certain industries so will obviously be some impact this Christmas. DvB has touched on some personal experience he has with the food industry.

Hopefully those that do have to start this early are able to find ways to get what they need done or are impacted as little as possible.

I think most of us need the second half of 2020 to be a million times better than the first half!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I also think the ads are going to be cringy basically reminding us of the year!
    I am hoping the majority of ads will stay clear of the cringy route!
    However, as Christmas for many is about family and loved ones, some ad scripts could well be about recognising health workers and remembering those who are not longer with us.
    Some weeks ago, I had thought about the nurse in the Boots ad, which I first watched in our "classic ads" thread. There might be a few ads similar to that.
    We'll see, anyway !

I do think they'll work something out for food stuff at Christmas. They'd certainly be local bakeries, etc who'd be doing stuff and it's generally nicer than the shops.
    The supermarkets will also probably pull it out as well. The stock might be a bit later and the special offers mightn't be as plentiful.

Also,
    149 days until Halloween!

• Advertisement

Also,
    149 days until Halloween!

That's only 150 to the adverts starting on TV... yay!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement