Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭DvB

An ex girlfriends birthday was Christmas eve & she hated it, never got anything more than a token small gift to mark the occasion and any extended family that gave her siblings a few quid or suchlike on their birthday just gave her the same gift as her siblings on Christmas day but would always say it was for both, miserable gits. I used to try & make an effort for the 4 years we were together & get her something specific for each day & bring her out the weekend before to just celebrate her birthday & then let christmas look after itself. Felt sorry for her at the time. Not anymore though :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There is a new baby due in our family on 22nd December this year! A Christmas baby...I'll have to remember this thread and be the cool auntie who buys a separate Christmas and birthday gift (well I would have anyway :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Tubs has given an interview! :)

https://www.her.ie/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-reveals-more-details-about-the-late-late-toy-show-2019-and-we-cant-wait-478212

Any clues on the theme there? The computer games comment is a little cryptic.

"I should be a bit vague about this, as it's too far away and I don't want to give anything away.

"I met somebody during the summer and they told me a nice story of their dad being on the Late Late Show with Gay Byrne some years ago.

"It had to do with her father, whose a good vintage now, and computer games - which I don't like, but we show them on the show anyways.

"Something started to percolate in my head. The theme started percolating in my head, and I thought, 'I think we know where we're going to go now.'

"We're going to have fun - [but] we always have fun on the Late Late Toy Show."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,432 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

68495909_2376354375775210_8855133931876384768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQlYr1BMo-PNQaAMgRB2_7IDExmcK5DUA5Gn7oThHPMBKjG6RMWxX8GolAxl6e9HGfs&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=6afe119ad996607ff7a81f17107af5ef&oe=5E0B887C

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Christmas holidays in work approved. It’s on!!! Christmas is coming!!!

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »

I had mine submitted back in january :D as I'm looking to use up 6 days leave this year (we usually need to leave 3 for christmas) to give me a full 2 weeks off.

Did it last year for the first time & found it a great break, alot of our clients do the same so you're not coming back to a sh*tstorm of stuff that happened while you were off, so will be aiming to do that every year if I can.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

So exciting! Do you have long off? We’re very casual where I work so I don’t need to book time off. Just had a look at the calendar and I’d say I’ll finish up on the 20th and back in on the 6th.

So exciting! Do you have long off? We’re very casual where I work so I don’t need to book time off. Just had a look at the calendar and I’d say I’ll finish up on the 20th and back in on the 6th.

Thats what I'm doing too.
    Office is open on Monday 23rd & even though that'll be a nothing quiet day I'd rather have finished up on the Friday & enjoy a few days build up.

Office opens back on Thursday 2nd but again little will happen so prefer to see out the 2 weeks & have a few days to relax before heading back to the grind on the Monday. I dread that day more than any other on the calendar, nothing worse than coming back to work after christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'll finish on the 20th I'd say; sometimes the university will close on the 23rd if it's a Monday, as it's closed on Christmas Eve anyway, so just to save money with electricity etc I'd say and not opening for the sake of a half day in the week, they give the day sometimes. Either way, I'll still finish on the 20th and take a half day on the 23rd if I have to, cos we'd still get a half day on the 23rd anyway if we had to come in!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm finished the 20th and back the 2nd... Jan is criminally busy for me in work so I can't take the 2nd and 3rd off, but at least I'll be going back to a short week to ease the pain haha.

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    I dread that day more than any other on the calendar, nothing worse than coming back to work after christmas.

I think we all dread that day :eek:

I think we all dread that day :eek:

I suspect all of us on here feel that. Its January, its miserable, and thoughts of next Christmas seems so far away...

Anyway, I'll worry about that in 20 weeks! for now its all about the start of the build up. Love when we get into september and little by little christmas stuff starts appearing.

DvB wrote: »
    I suspect all of us on here feel that. Its January, its miserable, and thoughts of next Christmas seems so far away...

Anyway, I'll worry about that in 20 weeks! for now its all about the start of the build up. Love when we get into september and little by little christmas stuff starts appearing.

It's already begun in the shops now!

Dunnes have the usual tins of sweets on offer at the mo for €7... I was tempted last night... very tempted!

Dunnes have the usual tins of sweets on offer at the mo for €7... I was tempted last night... very tempted!

Brilliant!:D Glad its not just me thats tempted. When I mentioned it to the Mrs she went nanas, said I wasnt to get any until the weekend of the toy show as over the last few years I started stocking up early (especially when the price drops further) and we must have gone through 5 or 6 of them before & over christmas (all quality street might I add!!)

Christmas cake recipe and ingredients in the Aldi leaflet.

69017623_2382698498719424_4695269354772627456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQkArvN4_Juza1BKvUxpBpmFhW78inIWqBtaCrZXvzOHHJhPuG9ZgS1xgvIresr0DY8&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=4e37b9a869a19a7e4f7dfb2cfcaadb15&oe=5E1625D6

The hard drive on the Sky box had to be reset and I lost all my Christmas programs/movies!

The hard drive on the Sky box had to be reset and I lost all my Christmas programs/movies!

Oh no!!! :(

I still have Scrooged saved on my virgin media box. I reckon it’s only a matter of time before the box screws me over tho.

68956350_440640166794920_1692683350503849984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_oc=AQkl1VPJ96P_5Qiy8NL7CREDi_O9qi6U2kbRlsEmzPFwAZvWpCfg8_lU-ghktTMuyMM&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub3-1.fna&oh=40de64dcbbf7f413019fa0db1d17de64&oe=5DDC9315

Is it just me or does it really feel Christmassy lately. Even with the currently clammy warm weather??

A couple of days last week before the move weather returned it felt like December.

I baked some biscuits this weekend and I’ve definitely found a brilliant recipe for making Christmas cookies. I’ve bookmarked the recipe so I’ll pop it up here at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Saw a really fun suggestion for secret Santa: Has to be bought on Wish! Mentioned it at work as we’re on a bit of an AliExpress buzz at the moment (I’ve introduced a few colleagues in the last week or two 😂) and someone threw in the suggestion that you type “a..” into google/autocorrect and whatever it suggests is what you have to search for!

Is it just me or does it really feel Christmassy lately. Even with the currently clammy warm weather??

No, I'm with you, have felt a christmas stirring of sorts in the last couple of weeks, with the kids going back to school this week you really get the feeling we're entering the final countdown phase. More people talking about it too.

School uniforms and heavier jackets (no idea why, it’s lovely out) on the bus this morning.

School uniforms and heavier jackets (no idea why, it’s lovely out) on the bus this morning.

It's roasting out, prob parents looking to get value for the cost of those jackets haha :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Saw a woman walking to work this morning with a tub of Heroes in her hand!

miamee wrote: »
    Saw a woman walking to work this morning with a tub of Heroes in her hand!

She's the real hero of that story! :pac:

A mother saying. You wanted this jacket so your going to wear it!

Very much enjoying picturing the grown adult in the North Face jacket having an argument with his mother this morning. :pac:

Very much enjoying picturing the grown adult in the North Face jacket having an argument with his mother this morning. :pac:

haha I thought you were on about school kids wearing heavy jackets :D:D:D

• Advertisement

First purchases for 2019!(Well the Heroes are for later)
    68946248_2385021025153838_7474511995882962944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQkg-fwNPqth2z1lwj33Ws8onZ26lG0AD0VBpIV6uXs-ZwLvpWG2nA94kF6NahMnac4&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=3251f08b05fe95708908031cc521a72a&oe=5E15919F

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement