Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

lawred2 wrote: »
    Whatever about Shane Horgan but Gordan Darcy is beyond a joke.

Shane Horgan is like Roy Keane compared to how much a sycophant Darcy is.

It’s the absolute commitment to calling every single player by their nickname that breaks my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Is there no podcast today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah very late coming out

jones wrote: »
    Yeah very late coming out

Which means it's presumably very Lions focused, with a bit on Man Utd.

I'm ok with that. Just I like to listen whilst working - and the park and a few cans are calling if they don't upload it soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Whatever about Shane Horgan but Gordan Darcy is beyond a joke.

Shane Horgan is like Roy Keane compared to how much a sycophant Darcy is.

I think Rugby as a private school sport seems to have produced carbon copies of the same corporate middle management types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Should just let Simon take the helm of the rugby coverage.

Himself and Eoin today were as if not more interesting than any previous rugby segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I watched the video of the Spanish presenter following Real's exit from the CL - SC played his opening report on Thursday's pod, it was all about Hazard.

"He looks like Michael Parkinson fell into a vat of Brylcream" was an absolute bang-on description of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Does anyone know how to save old second captains shows to a device so they can be listened to offline later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

Does anyone know how to save old second captains shows to a device so they can be listened to offline later?

Just download them using whatever podcast app you're using. I use pocketcasts on Android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

The Patreon new episode email includes an mp3 link for each epsiode.

jones wrote: »
    Just download them using whatever podcast app you're using. I use pocketcasts on Android

How do you tell the app you are a patreon rather than just give you the free to all content?

healy1835 wrote: »
    The Patreon new episode email includes an mp3 link for each epsiode.

I would only have emails for when I was a subber. I’m looking to download stuff from last year when I wasn’t.

I would only have emails for when I was a subber. I’m looking to download stuff from last year when I wasn’t.

Would the enitre episode list be on their page on the Patreon website?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

How do you tell the app you are a patreon rather than just give you the free to all content?

You have to insert your private RSS they send you when you sign up in to the add podcast URL on the podcast app you choose.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Would the enitre episode list be on their page on the Patreon website?

Yes, in a hard to navigate way. It gives a link for each episode on MP3 format.

Here’s an example ..

https://c10.patreonusercontent.com/3/eyJhIjoxLCJwIjoxfQ%3D%3D/patreon-media/p/post/41704096/aa05b7bc7ac1469d97386649e255d437/1.mp3?token-time=1620691200&token-hash=y_WkTeylCpnOVk-HP7PzaV9JRQuTQMXjRPgQiT0-2ic%3D

If anyone knows how I use these links to tell apps I’m a patreon supporter, then let me know. I don’t even know how to use that link to access the pod offline to be honest.

• Advertisement

redbuck wrote: »
    You have to insert your private RSS they send you when you sign up in to the add podcast URL on the podcast app you choose.

Now I think we are in business. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Good discussion on Serie A today. James Horncastle always comes across as a perfect gent, would like to hear him contributing on a more regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah Horncastle is always so good. Doesn't go overboard with anything, can have a laugh but very smart and knowledgeable.

Can't believe they get on marcotti more than him!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Aidric wrote: »
    Good discussion on Serie A today. James Horncastle always comes across as a perfect gent, would like to hear him contributing on a more regular basis.

Fully agree really enjoyed that. Should be on a bit more with you know who managing over there next season. A monthly catch up would him would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭atilladehun

He's fairly prolific on other TV and podcasts as well as his writing. I'd say it's rare he can fit them in his schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He's on the Totally European Football Show every Tuesday. Usually a good listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I was already a pretty big Ken Early fan before.

But I just heard him use the word “fulsome” correctly and I swear to god, I jizzed in my pants.

The first journalist I think I have ever heard use the word correctly. What a man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

There was a bang of John Delaney off that interview today with Owen Keegan. Utterly unprepared in any way, ruffling through papers in search of figures without any success, and unconvincing answers for the majority of the questions put forward to him.

Absolutely shambolic, you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

cmac2009 wrote: »
    There was a bang of John Delaney off that interview today with Owen Keegan. Utterly unprepared in any way, ruffling through papers in search of figures without any success, and unconvincing answers for the majority of the questions put forward to him.

Absolutely shambolic, you know!

He didn’t do a great job, but the uproar over the project has been a bit over the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That interview turned into an absolute train wreck by the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I have to say I hadn't great hopes when I saw todays episode was an interview with some stiff from Dublin City Council on about the white water rafting project. Hilarious stuff, they really went after him. Some really awkward moments but a great listen

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

He didn’t do a great job, but the uproar over the project has been a bit over the top

Yeah. It was a shambles of an interview alright, but I don't understand the animosity to the proposal.

That was a tough listen. Admittedly I'd only heard snippets of radio segments and seen the headlines about the project...but good God, Owen Keegan wouldn't fill you full of confidence about it. I loved how Eoin just casually threw in 'You're a bit of a kayaker yourself Owen?' towards the end, making Keegan's pretty sketchy pitch even sketchier :)

A project catering for the well off like this was never likely to be well received by the Second Captains team. The guy was on a hiding to nothing, I wonder why he thought to go on. He may have been dumb enough to think a sports show would be sympathetic to the idea.

A niche project but hardly an exclusively upper class pursuit.

Not sure what you mean there really

It's not like they were proposing a pitch for polo..

• Advertisement

A niche project but hardly an exclusively upper class pursuit.

Not sure what you mean there really

It's not like they were proposing a pitch for polo..

It’s not polo no, polo is played by royalty and the super rich.

Kayaking would be a pursuit favoured by the well off in the main. Eoin alluded to this in the interview by casting espersions on whether the working class locals would have an interest in the facility.

Never do anything different whatsoever if the consideration is whether poorer folk would have any interest..

Plus it never prevented the state funding rugby related initiatives

Never do anything different whatsoever if the consideration is whether poorer folk would have any interest..

Plus it never prevented the state funding rugby related initiatives

I agree on the first point.... i think.

I don’t follow your second.

Overall I’m not scandalized as the lads are by the idea. Ken seemed to want to pour scorn on it without fairly considering it.

Overall If Cardiff, London and Glasgow has one and they’ve been successful then we should consider having one without the pantomime act.

I want ireland to have better sporting facilities, it needs it, white water rafting would be down my priorities however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Right, you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

There was a very successful kayak business on the royal canal which catered for lower income groups. A privately booked female person slipped and sued and they had to close.

Bike park Ireland had to close due to insurance

Play centres all over Ireland are closing due to insurance

Blueway waterpark, rathbeggan lakes closed. Aqua dome in Tralee almost closed?

Until the insurance situation in this country is addressed, we will have less and less activities amenities for ourselves and our kids

It’s not polo no, polo is played by royalty and the super rich.

Kayaking would be a pursuit favoured by the well off in the main. Eoin alluded to this in the interview by casting espersions on whether the working class locals would have an interest in the facility.

What might the working class locals have an interest in?

Yes, they should be considered, but do their interests need to be placed so much further up the totem pole than say people renting nearby, workers in the area, general population?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Keegan isn’t a good speaker and his ummhs and ahhs at the start of each question didn’t help him. But I didn’t really think of that as car crash stuff.

I don’t really get the hate for this project. There’s prob better things it could be used for, but I don’t think it would be that bad an idea. And picking holes in the cost is silly, as these things are once off tourist attractions, €200 between 8 people isn’t really that much for this kind of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Lads I can't figure out why there's uproar over a white water rafting facility in Dublin City centre? I mean there's clearly a massive public need for one, with people crying out for it. And it's not like there's a housing crisis or anything that the council could better spend its money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Yes, they should be considered, but do their interests need to be placed so much further up the totem pole than say people renting nearby, workers in the area, general population?

It's a ridiculous facility to have in that area and short-sighted. Ken was completely correct when wrapping up the pod that this facility will be a bonsai version of a proper facility, like that in Cardiff.

The area of George's Dock is limited in terms of space and expansion. There would be no room to further develop the facilities in say 10 or 20 years time due to it being surrounded by listed buildings and IFSC. There's no parking around the area to boot. OK, there are plenty of transport options, bus, rail, Luas. Though ease of parking, such as at the National Aquatic Centre, would increase the appeal and accessibility.

It's just typical DCC half-arsed approach and there is not a chance this comes in anywhere near the agreed cost by the time it's operational, if it goes ahead.

I should just say, I'm never usually this negative! Also, I'm from the city centre and would like to think such facilities would be of great benefit to the local community, but I don't see that being the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I like the sound of the whole project but it's just the location that's the issue, like this is the business centre of the city, don't think many tourists hang around there

if this was a long one of the canals just outside the city centre than there wouldn't be as much up roar

Now if someone ends up doing well at the Olympics then it'll be a great boost for the project

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I really don't understand why anyone is saying the location is bad. If the space is there and currently unused, why is a five minute walk from O'Connell Street less palatable than somewhere like where the Aquatic Centre is? Seems perfect for tourists really. Could see it as a great activity for stag parties etc.
    Also, kayaking or white water rafting may not currently be a popular hobby for the locals, but that's mainly because there's nowhere to do it! Could see it being hugely beneficial to the youths of the locality, particularly if it was provided at the price of the cost of running. I think the guest today did a particularly poor job of highlighting that though.
    I know it sounds like a pretty out there idea, but if it ended up being self sufficient as a business I'd have no problem at all with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

It's incredible how someone can get to the top of an organisation like DCC with such poor communication skills

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Keegan certainly sounds like the kind of bumbling idiot who you would expect ends up being trusted with 25+ million of public funds to blow on a project nobody wants (or in the case of the disadvantaged local youths, have even been asked if they'd be interested in. Astonishing in itself he openly admits that)

His justifications are:

For swift water rescue training (his point that only 1 such facility exists in the world is incredible, has he asked why only 1 exists?)
    Attract more tourists (have to fill all those boutique hotels his council granted pp for instead of housing for locals I suppose)
    and incredibly niche sports training.

25 million (will be more & we all know it) on that thin premise? from a man paid 6 figures and answerable to no rate paying voter. What a country. We could do incredibly useful things with that sort of money like improved cycle facilities/lanes, more community gyms or that type of craic.

Keegan certainly sounds like the kind of bumbling idiot who you would expect ends up being trusted with 25+ million of public funds to blow on a project nobody wants (or in the case of the disadvantaged local youths, have even been asked if they'd be interested in. Astonishing in itself he openly admits that)

His justifications are:

For swift water rescue training (his point that only 1 such facility exists in the world is incredible, has he asked why only 1 exists?)
    Attract more tourists (have to fill all those boutique hotels his council granted pp for instead of housing for locals I suppose)
    and incredibly niche sports training.

25 million (will be more & we all know it) on that thin premise? from a man paid 6 figures and answerable to no rate paying voter. What a country. We could do incredibly useful things with that sort of money like improved cycle facilities/lanes, more community gyms or that type of craic.

It’s not that niche if Glasgow, Cardiff and London all have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

It’s not that niche if Glasgow, Cardiff and London all have one?

They don't have ones that cost 25 million of public money and are basically glorified training centres for 1000 odd firefighters (and a few drainage staff shur, y'know?) that no other country deems necessary. Oh and a fancy new (architecturally significant) office for the lads too of course, was forgetting about that.

• Advertisement

They don't have ones that cost 25 million of public money and are basically glorified training centres for 1000 odd firefighters (and a few drainage staff shur, y'know?) that no other country deems necessary.

The main use would not be for training firemen. It would be a recreation attraction.

It probably would be a profitable enterprise.

My main issue with the guy was him seemingly trying to portray the much needed Dalymount upgrade as something slightly frivolous compared to this Kayaking centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

dulpit wrote: »
    Lads I can't figure out why there's uproar over a white water rafting facility in Dublin City centre? I mean there's clearly a massive public need for one, with people crying out for it. And it's not like there's a housing crisis or anything that the council could better spend its money on.

Money can't be spent on two different things at the same time of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

If it cost a couple of million then maybe I could see some justification. But €25 million? Serious Bertie Bowl vibes off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Genuinely cannot get over that interview. Not far off Eoghan Harris appearance on drive time last week in terms of a car crash. Keegan seemed completely unprepared for any sort of questioning and had no answer or no knowledge on something I'd have assumed he should have been familiar with. Not knowing about the Coolock pools opening hours and trying to compare this to Dalymount Park, honestly it was baffling.

When this idea was initially made public I couldn't actually believe that it had got this far without someone saying "lads, seriously?" but listening to this interview its not that surprising considering the chief executive has little or no grasp of either the project, the community its going into or the wider picture.

Some basic facts and figures were beyond him, not knowing how much the cost was, not knowing if it included VAT and brushing it off as "I thought it 25m was inc. VAT". Honestly, it was a staggeringly inept performance. It says a lot though that neither him or his advisors did any bit of research or preparation before agreeing to this interview as he clearly wasn't prepared for the line of questioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

25 million, 8 of which is publicly funded.

I didn't get why there was such a negative reaction to the project either to be honest. The city is badly in need of things to do. However the interviewee didn't come across very well or sell it.

On the other hand, you could sense Eoin and Ken were out for blood from the get go and weren't open to hearing the arguments for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement