Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭kerno

Anyone who dislikes Foley has to be a cranky old ****..
    He brightens up most peoples days.. :)

Well if you hate him how has he won the Meteor Best Regional Dj 3 years in a ROW..And his Show is the only show that has increased listeners year on year..

Ray foley is GOD...!!!

http://rayfoleyshow.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭subtle_as

ill agree with you there but the posters on here will tell you that, firstly, you must work on foley's show or are some sort of obsessed fan cos if ur on here supporting foley you must be him... cos god forbid he had supporters on here!!!!!

secondly, in relation to Ray winning 3 meteors in a row, they'll claim its cos of foley beggin for votes, without realising that people may vote regardless, cos he's the best of the lot up for the vote and that he deserves it!! Foley is good at what he does. His show is different compared to everything else on air!

I get that he's a love/hate dj cos ppl don't get his persona on air and think that's how is 'in real life', but shure, you can't please everyone!

Best of luck to KC, he will have a bit more leeway then Foley does in his slot at the mo, but that's all to do with the time he's on air.

Also, best of luck to KC's fill ins, big shoes to fill but im sure ye'll be grand! ppl shouldn't judge whoever it is before they actually go on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

seems like a really normal lad that has done ridicoulsly well for himself, i remeber the days of the blast well, great show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

kerno wrote: »

Well if you hate him how has he won the Meteor Best Regional Dj 3 years in a ROW..And his Show is the only show that has increased listeners year on year..

Ray foley is GOD...!!!

He appeals to the lowest common denominator who are obviously very easily pleased. Can't stand him.

But that's just my opinion. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

panama wrote: »
    He appeals to the lowest common denominator who are obviously very easily pleased. Can't stand him.

But that's just my opinion. :cool:

lol well i dont personally consider myself lowest common demoninator

he appeals to me, his show is very simple, he does stupid and funny stuff for 2 and a half hours and has the craic.

it just seems to me that the more successful someone is the more people that jump on the snipe and degrade bandwagon.

He's a Marmite DJ, you'll either love him or hate him, your not wrong to hate him, im not wrong to love him. I find his brand of humour amusing, i love the laura byrne stuff, i enjoy feedback with JP and Lazy Radio is a 10 minute segment once a week that is just a bit of fun on a friday as you cruise towards the weekend, closely followed by happy hour, which as a fan of cheese, sits fairly well.

Silly games like Ah Ye OK and Ray or JP or Foleys Friday Faceoff are just a bit of craic, and sometimes the banter you get with the caller is better than anything foley could have come up with.

All being fair its a simple show with a simple output, he's got a loyal following and is one of the few DJ's increasing listenership. throw the meteors out the door if you think their worth nothing, without them he's still one of the best DJ's in ireland and i wish him every success in the future.

remember 4 years ago Darcy was top DJ, he didnt even get nominated this year. how things have changed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rovers Chris

I really Enjoy His show,With all the doom and gloom over the last year I`ve turned over from Eamon Keane On Newstalk the show would put a smile of your face.Ray and J.P. bounce off each other really well.The show works really well with J.P. knowing his role on the show.Well Done on the Award And P.s. Love The Show

The Ego has landed

loving this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Excaptain

kerno wrote: »

Ray foley is GOD...!!!

I see Ray Foley has a boards.ie account!

Shockingly bad show. I can't understand why he has won that award once never mind 3 in a row.
    Can somebody explain to me why he plays theme music from 80's cartoons? It seems to go on forever too.

He's won 3 awards because he is the best DJ on Irish Radio, show me a better DJ and i'll give them a try but Foley is the afternoon delight at the moment

and he plays cartoon theme tunes and tv themes on a friday, once a week, for 10 minutes

not really forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Excaptain

and he plays cartoon theme tunes and tv themes on a friday, once a week, for 10 minutes

not really forever

But why does he play them?
    I listen to Phantom myself. Its not a DJ thing, I just like the music.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with Phantom from time to time, but afternoon radio in work, Ray Foley is the DJ of choice at the moment

he plays them as part of a segment called Lazy Radio, which also ties in with a tour.

Its a Lazy radio for Friday to kick off the show and then 1 till 2 he plays what he call happy hour which would be 80's 90's and 00's selection of cheesy pop tunes.

He does a Live DJ set tour on a thursday night around the country about once a month, different county every time. normal DJ till about 12,1ish then Foley takes over, plays you regular night out music and happy hour mix, then kicks into the theme tunes for about 20 minutes then goes back to fun dancey music

Its a pretty solid night out

hope that helps explain it a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

I'm just getting bored of Foley - I used to listen to him 4 years ago when i came back from Australia and thought it was good, then didnt listen for a couple of years as I couldnt listen to radio at work but lost my job b4 xmas and have been listening on and off since and its the exact same format as 4+ years ago.... same segments as someone outlined above.

He's annoying too with his "king" title he adopts for himself and waffling on for 10mins about puttin oil in his door lock! I've decided not to tune in today cos i know it will be unbearable to listen too.

I like JP, he is genuinely funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Phantom sux.

3 Meteor awards aye. That is a feat if ever I did see one. Well done Ray.

*Tips Hat*

What I do find annoying is the people on here who, when someone gives a dj praise (Mostly Foley), they reply with "Hey Ray" "Ah I see Foley has a boards account" As if it's abnormal that a talented presenter has fans.

People who mock him are just sour ****s. Probably bitter wannabe failed djs who are jealous of Ray's success.

Also, how people seem to have a deep hatred for him personally without ever meeting him.

I severly dislike The Strawberry Alarmclock on Fm104 and Nikki Hayes' show (I really hate the gutts off them), but I don't have anything against the presenters themselves!!!

did you hear there Nikki Hayes refusing to say who won the meteor saying if the DJ was a chocolate bar, he'd eat him.

loved the reply about new awards for DJ's who were put up against ray foley and got moved to weekends.

im against sniping comments, but since its self defense and not him starting it, i say alls fair
    I'm just getting bored of Foley - I used to listen to him 4 years ago when i came back from Australia and thought it was good, then didnt listen for a couple of years as I couldnt listen to radio at work but lost my job b4 xmas and have been listening on and off since and its the exact same format as 4+ years ago.... same segments as someone outlined above.

He's annoying too with his "king" title he adopts for himself and waffling on for 10mins about puttin oil in his door lock! I've decided not to tune in today cos i know it will be unbearable to listen too.

I like JP, he is genuinely funny

Not trying to sound funny, but its a free radio station, with many surrounding it
    twist the dial a bit and try for something different. Rest assured, 1 tuning out someone else will tune in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Well, in this day and age, what the heck is wrong with candyfloss radio? I enjoy the Friday show an awfull l,ot and the way he reacted to the flooding last year and did a fundraiser was both funny and for a good cause.

We always give out about sterile radio and how the shedules are full of the same stuff day in day out, I have no problem with so-called low brow radio (or funny and entertaining if you want) right in the middle of the day.

It is aannoying that he is up against my favourite DJ of them all on 2FM though, but thats what those presets are for I suppose, just flick around during the few hours.

Not trying to sound funny, but its a free radio station, with many surrounding it
    twist the dial a bit and try for something different. Rest assured, 1 tuning out someone else will tune in

Whoa, he wasn't being snipy. That was an honest opinion of the show, and although it was a negative one, it's the most decent negative reply I've seen yet.

hehe think you quoted the wrong bit there

but yeah ok its fair, wouldnt be a fan of the way nikki hayes went about it, she deserved the reply foley gave her

what kind of idiot DJ goes after a cheeky chappy like foley. he's going to respond in kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Excaptain wrote: »
    I see Ray Foley has a boards.ie account!
    This is the final warning, and I'm not just singling you out, no more insinuating that anyone who posts in favour of a DJ is the DJ or works in the station.

It is getting tiresome and ends now.

Oh woops.

Anyway, that was hilarious, The Nikki Hayes thing. I like the fanbase foley has. Always ready to defend him against ne'er do wells and often provide him with material to use on air.

God help that Hayes one. She's slipping slowly off the radio radar - the radiar if you will.

Gets coat and walks off.

Hahahaha today is a great show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DJ_U4EA

Had the misfortune to be listening today when the 3 of them were sniping at Nikki Hayes like classroom bullies. It was actually patethic to listen to, on top of king prat himself inflating his ego every 5 seconds. Some people say the attitude of him is just a wind up, but I'd have to ask the same people: when did listening to some gob****e gloating about himself every day of the week become funny? In response to what Nikki Hayes said about him, she hit the nail on the head to be honest and if he had to respond, it could have been done in a witty and decent manner if he had the IQ to think of an intelligent response.

But no, he spends nearly 10 minutes with his 2 arse kissers absolutely taking it overboard and beyond a bit of fun, it was just insult after insult about somebody who called him straight on what he is. If you can't accept criticism without launching into a tirade about it, get the **** off the radio. If you can't accept criticism regarding this "wacky egotistical" but supposedly "only for a laugh" persona you have, then equally - get the **** off the radio. I certainly won't be tuning into his show again anyway, its just beyond patethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i had the mistfortune of listening to him today for 5 minutes while in the car....i have never heard such a self-gloating ego maniac on the radio as him......fair enough congrats on the award but be humble dont get drawn into childish insults and just smile... nope not foley..... i turned over the station after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Can't understand the "Used to Hate him, but now I Love him" school of thought. Why would anyone continue listening to a show they hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I think the ray fley show is greatto be honest. He is funny and has a bit of craic with ann and j.p as well as with any listeners who call in to the show.

His on air persona of someone who loves himself is a parody, you must remember this, when he is bigging himself up and calling himself the king etc, it is a tongue in cheek bit of self praise.

He knows he is not the best in the world, his self praise is actually a way of putting himself down as you will hear the others in the background moan that he has gone and done it again. Anyonethat comes on the show makes fun of him and his persona too....he is kind of like that kid in school with few friends but tells his mum how great he is and how everyone loves him.

it's all a bit david brent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

DJ_U4EA wrote: »
    Had the misfortune to be listening today when the 3 of them were sniping at Nikki Hayes like classroom bullies. It was actually patethic to listen to, on top of king prat himself inflating his ego every 5 seconds. Some people say the attitude of him is just a wind up, but I'd have to ask the same people: when did listening to some gob****e gloating about himself every day of the week become funny? In response to what Nikki Hayes said about him, she hit the nail on the head to be honest and if he had to respond, it could have been done in a witty and decent manner if he had the IQ to think of an intelligent response.

But no, he spends nearly 10 minutes with his 2 arse kissers absolutely taking it overboard and beyond a bit of fun, it was just insult after insult about somebody who called him straight on what he is. If you can't accept criticism without launching into a tirade about it, get the **** off the radio. If you can't accept criticism regarding this "wacky egotistical" but supposedly "only for a laugh" persona you have, then equally - get the **** off the radio. I certainly won't be tuning into his show again anyway, its just beyond patethic.

I have no idea whatsoever how people still think he is serious with stuff like this. I think I'm going to invest in some 'down with this sort of thing' signs to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What did Nikki Hayes say about Foley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

the ego has landed!
    and i like it alot. its just a bit of craic.
    brightens up my day anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

kraggy wrote: »
    What did Nikki Hayes say about Foley?

if he was a choclate bar he'd eat himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

jm99 wrote: »
    if he was a choclate bar he'd eat himself :D

Not much of an insult really. Not to mention it's probably true. Foley seems very sensitive to even the mildest criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I thought the DJ Jayo segment they had on Fri was hilarious - the bit where JP was the work experience DJ with the thick Dub accent

Anyone who didn't get a chuckle out of that must have the sense of humour of a stone

Advertisement