Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I am a huge Ray Foley fan. So much so that, in radio terms, he's my hero. (After Moyles)

He's like marmite, some love him, some hate him.

He's an excellent DJ, presenter and I think he's very funny.

I don't like the fact people say "He copies Chris Moyles"... eh... how? None of the features are the same. The jingles? Moyles didn't invent sung jingles! And plus, Moyles used to copy other DJs when he was younger, so say he does copy him, Moyles is *was* no better.

I like Ann and JP (Although they do lick up to him a tad too much and say his name after EVERY sentence... "Yeah Ray" "Oh no problem Ray" "Of course Ray") Adelle is brilliant imo.

He landed his 1st national radio gig at 23, got a daytime slot at 25, he's won two Meteors and two (Or three) PPIs AND he's not even 30 yet.

He's quite possibly one of the most successful radio DJs in the country. Any Dj would be doing well to be half that successful.

Although one thing I HATE is lazy radio. Ray, please for the love of sweet liquid christ drop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

ha,started to download his podcasts for the first time. So refreshing to hear radio presenters swear to their heart content!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Swearing is cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Swearing is cool.
    I can relate to somebody who swears. Lets vote for him in the Meteors :pac:

Swearing is cool.

Ah I'd love to hear Pat Kenny come out with a good aul "Ah for F*CK SAKE!!" on air.

• Advertisement

I'm not a fan of the swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

ha,started to download his podcasts for the first time. So refreshing to hear radio presenters swear to their heart content!

I stopped listening to the podcast cos of the amount of swearing!

Love the show though! For people in the shticks that haven't got Dublin radio, its good fun compared to the rest of the crap at lunch time. And I'm 25 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Swearing is cool.

Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'd listen to Foley - but only in small doses.

The parts that irratates me are firstly, when they do occasioanally find something funny, they just murder it and drag it out for so long it becomes nothing but irratating.

And secondly, as someone previously says, the constant, pathetic begging for votes for about 3 months every year for the last 3 years or so. You know how he begs people to send 'NDJ4' to whaever number - I was actually considering starting a campaign to get people to vote for 'NDJ3' (even though I have no idea who that is) - Just like how the X-factor song got beat for Christmas Number 1. If he wins this year, I might just do it next year. Who's with me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sophielc

I didn't like him the first few times I heard him but after a while forgetting to switch off after the Ray d'Arcy show I started finding his show funny.
    Like he says: "it's just a bit of fun for your lunchtime" so shouldn't be taken too seriously. Fine, he can be a bit immature sometimes but with D'Arcy starting to take himself so seriously, it's refreshing to hear Foley fooling around afterwards.
    I like the lazy radio show, it reminds me of shows I used to watch as a kid, I get to laugh out loud at his John Bombsquad character and I don't get to laugh out loud a lot these days, so he must be doing something right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Laois_Man wrote: »

And secondly, as someone previously says, the constant, pathetic begging for votes for about 3 months every year for the last 3 years or so. You know how he begs people to send 'NDJ4' to whaever number - I was actually considering starting a campaign to get people to vote for 'NDJ3' (even though I have no idea who that is) - Just like how the X-factor song got beat for Christmas Number 1. If he wins this year, I might just do it next year. Who's with me? :D
    Excellent idea!! So next year text "NDJ3" for Pat Kenny....I can picture it now!

Anyway the other runners this year are actually;
    Best Radio DJ – National

Ian Dempsey – Today FM
    Damien Farrelly – 2FM
    Tony Fenton – Today FM
    Ray Foley – Today FM
    Larry Gogan – 2FM
    Dan Hegarty – 2FM

None of the nominees would exactly win a Sony it has to be said! The meteors DJ awards just seem more of a promotional vehicle for the phone company than anything else. If they were serious about the credability of the award they would have a judging panel rather than a popularity contest.

Jaysus Larry Gogan's up for an award?

He's barely alive!

He must be nearly 130 years old at this stage! The old fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

sophielc wrote: »
    I didn't like him the first few times I heard him but after a while forgetting to switch off after the Ray d'Arcy show I started finding his show funny.
    Like he says: "it's just a bit of fun for your lunchtime" so shouldn't be taken too seriously. Fine, he can be a bit immature sometimes but with D'Arcy starting to take himself so seriously, it's refreshing to hear Foley fooling around afterwards.
    I like the lazy radio show, it reminds me of shows I used to watch as a kid, I get to laugh out loud at his John Bombsquad character and I don't get to laugh out loud a lot these days, so he must be doing something right.
    My thoughts exactly. I found that hilarious. I am a fan of ray foley. He does come off self centred and immature, but he is funny and has a good crew behind him. That eh yeah ok game has to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 djlinehan

i'm a big fan of daytime today fm......that said i find darcy getting a bit preachie ...... but i do like to switch off (my brain that is) and listen to foley....yes his jingles are repetitive and he is vain..... and his ego need constant stroking , but he makes me smile to my self and thats all i need....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Not a big fan of the show, but it was on here in work and a listener texted in to say this guy sounds like Inda Kinny:

http://www.last.fm/music/Mint+Royale/_/Sexiest+Man+in+Jamaica

Know what, he's right. It was bugging me who the singer reminded me of!

Not a big fan of the show, but it was on here in work and a listener texted in to say this guy sounds like Inda Kinny:

http://www.last.fm/music/Mint+Royale/_/Sexiest+Man+in+Jamaica

Know what, he's right. It was bugging me who the singer reminded me of!

that was hilarious,hopefully they'll put together some soundbytes of kenny over the music

And he just won a Meteor Award!

Well done Foley. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

hey....love the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Fago_25 wrote: »

Great :rolleyes:

We'll never hear the end of this.

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Great :rolleyes:

We'll never hear the end of this.

Which is why we love him! renember?

<snip> Mod edit.</snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Well done Foley. :)

A Meteor Award? Lol.

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    A Meteor Award? Lol.

Yes. a... a meteor award. Somwething wrong? Jealous?

you're jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

His show is pure ****e. I love today FM in general but I turn off when i hear him. Only Matt Cooper is on in the evenings, their is a chance I would never tune back to Today Fm.
    They giggle at stupid things, its like a studio full of dumb blondes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

its just a bit of fun for your lunchtime brian

nothing too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Yes. a... a meteor award. Somwething wrong? Jealous?

you're jealous!

Of course I am. It's the meteors man! Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

I like foley, i'm a rep so get to listen to the radio alot during the day. I also listen to BBC radio cuz I work in the UK too and just in my humble opinion Foley also listens to BBC and has modelled his radio show on some of the more successful radio shows. Why not, if it works use it. However I do find him irritating at times when he keeps going on about being ''The King'' I expect more is to come after winning yet another award tonight. May tune out for a few weeks till he calms down. Its his wife I feel sorry for. Imagine living with him

i think everyone's problem here is that your all taking him way more serious than your meant to.

He only does the king thing as a piss take. He's having a laugh, i dont know why people cant just take it at face value as it is. he's just having a laugh on the radio, just relax and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

i think everyone's problem here is that your all taking him way more serious than your meant to.

He only does the king thing as a piss take. He's having a laugh, i dont know why people cant just take it at face value as it is. he's just having a laugh on the radio, just relax and enjoy it.

That would be all well and good if it was funny. Which it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Just a point out but you seem in the minority here??? I guess his taking the piss/having a laught is wearing thin for alot of people - That seems to be the majority so far:eek:

• Advertisement

ah ive been listening to foley for 3 years now

its light entertainment and about as humerous as anything else on the radio, maybe he could mix it up a bit more but to be fair, 3 meteor awards in a row, he's doing something right when the other DJ's wernt even given a chance by the bookies

Advertisement