Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330e

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A nice review. Can you confirm that the car can only be started with the petrol engine running? Is there no way to start the car in e-mode?

Do you reckon its feasible to drive this car in electric mode all week long, with charging daily and 20-30km daily commute? Did you receive any dos and don't from BMW before test driving?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DaveHumphreys

A nice review. Can you confirm that the car can only be started with the petrol engine running? Is there no way to start the car in e-mode?

Do you reckon its feasible to drive this car in electric mode all week long, with charging daily and 20-30km daily commute? Did you receive any dos and don't from BMW before test driving?

Thanks.

The car always starts in e-mode and then uses a high-voltage starter-generator to kick the petrol engine into life when it's needed. Although in theory you can run the battery flat, the manufacturer puts in a safety net to ensure the battery isn't fully drained, so it will always start in e-mode, even if you've not charged it for a while.

As for driving it daily without using petrol, that's exactly what BMW wants owners to do. It says the majority of its customers (not just for PHEVs, but for all BMWs) only do 30km a day - well within the EV range. So in theory if you're able to charge it every day you can run it without using petrol in the majority of cases.

We didn't get any specific dos or don't from BMW during our test drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭stesaurus

88HP equivalent in electric mode. Seems low, does it have the same feel as a normal EV while in electric mode, I.e instant power?

s.welstead wrote: »
    88HP equivalent in electric mode. Seems low, does it have the same feel as a normal EV while in electric mode, I.e instant power?

What's more relevant is the 250Nm of torque from the electric motor which is instant. Remember, this isn't an outright performance car, but there is enough to keep you interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks.
    All reviews seem to skip over whether or not the car will drive from start in EV.
    It's quite a big issue for someone that might have a 3 or 4 mile school run each day or similar.

• Advertisement

What's more relevant is the 250Nm of torque from the electric motor which is instant. Remember, this isn't an outright performance car, but there is enough to keep you interested.

Impressive, same as the i3 so.

mickdw wrote: »
    All reviews seem to skip over whether or not the car will drive from start in EV.
    It's quite a big issue for someone that might have a 3 or 4 mile school run each day or similar.

It does, I've answered this just above.

It does, I've answered this just above.

Apologies. Was busy reading reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That's damn interesting, so its a very feasible EV for short journeys.

For some reason BMW themselves say it starts in Auto EV mode.

From their own bulletin:
    "When the vehicle is first started, the default AUTO eDrive setting is activated, with both engine and electric motor working efficiently together and all electric driving
    when charge allows up to 80km/h. Over this speed, during high demand or with low SOC (State of Charge) of the battery, the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) will
    assist."

Unless you mean the same thing? i.e, if there is enough charge in the battery, it will always start in just E mode? If there isn't enough charge, it will start with both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Irish Times review is quite positive for both the 330e & 225xe

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/first-drive-bmw-s-new-plug-in-hybrids-in-3-series-and-2-series-1.2515168

I look forward to seeing less and less diesels on the road :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Only heard of this car thanks to this thread. Wow. The reviews are glowing. I really, really want this car.

Any models arrived in for test drives in Dublin yet?

EDIT: Charging would be a pain though, I don't like the idea of having to run a cable to the car on the driveway every night.

Elessar wrote: »
    Only heard of this car thanks to this thread. Wow. The reviews are glowing. I really, really want this car.

EDIT: Charging would be a pain for me though, driveways don't lend themselves well to keeping things plugged in from inside all night.

You'll get a free outside charger from the ESB. You don't charge a car with a plug thrown in the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Do you really get a plug point put in by the esb? I just assumed for home charging you could plug into a normal socket.

Voodoo
    Any word back from the dealer on deal on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,146 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

USB charger comes with the car lads. :D

carsfan wrote: »
    Do you really get a plug point put in by the esb? I just assumed for home charging you could plug into a normal socket.

Voodoo
    Any word back from the dealer on deal on one?

Yes, ESB still have free charge points but may stop this year as it's only supposed to be for the 1st 2000. It's not a standard outdoor socket on the home chargepoint. You'll get a cable with the car that you will use on the ESB Street chargers and will also be used for your at home chargepoint.
    I'm not sure about the phev's but on the full EV i3 you also get what we call a granny cable. It's a standard 3 pin on one end so can be used anywhere but it is a fair bit slower than the chargepoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So the claimed 148mpg is a farce and only gets 60mpg in reality.
    Why not just dump the engine, use the battery technology from Tesla and get 200+ miles range?
    Even better when Tesla launch their 3 series competitor who's really going to pick the 3 series over it?

Blazer wrote: »
    So the claimed 148mpg is a farce and only gets 60mpg in reality.
    Why not just dump the engine, use the battery technology from Tesla and get 200+ miles range?
    Even better when Tesla launch their 3 series competitor who's really going to pick the 3 series over it?

I wouldn't say farce. It would actually be possible to achieve and even better if you had an available work charger and a standard commute.
    Commute 30km, charge up and head home 30km. No petrol used.

I wouldn't say farce. It would actually be possible to achieve and even better if you had an available work charger and a standard commute.
    Commute 30km, charge up and head home 30km. No petrol used.

I suppose but it's playing with numbers...
    i doubt on my 160km a day driving I'd get 148mpg :D

I suppose but it's playing with numbers...
    i doubt on my 160km a day driving I'd get 148mpg :D

Definitely not for you but it's a combined figure. As with any mpg claims you just use it as a comparison against similar vehicles. So in this case compare it against other plug ins.
    160km a day you should look up a Nissan Leaf 30kW. It could handle that without needing a charge until you got home. How much on fuel would you save then?

Definitely not for you but it's a combined figure. As with any mpg claims you just use it as a comparison against similar vehicles. So in this case compare it against other plug ins.
    160km a day you should look up a Nissan Leaf 30kW. It could handle that without needing a charge until you got home. How much on fuel would you save then?

about 300 a month i'd say but I'd be bored off my head.
    I was getting about 30mpg on my santa fe so said to hell with and bought a 07 e92 320d coupe for weekday driving (about 800km a week) and get at least 50mpg from it..I love the car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

about 300 a month i'd say but I'd be bored off my head.
    I was getting about 30mpg on my santa fe so said to hell with and bought a 07 e92 320d coupe for weekday driving (about 800km a week) and get at least 50mpg from it..I love the car :)

Bored off your head? Have you driven a Leaf? You might be very pleasantly surprised if you haven't.

Bored off your head? Have you driven a Leaf? You might be very pleasantly surprised if you haven't.

I have actually...I know its fantastic for it's 0mpg etc but I'd pick my car over it every day.
    This is my 3rd bmw and I love them..sure they have flaws but every car has.
    If they were bigger i'd get one of them and get a petrol 335i or something for weekends but too small for me at the moment.

Yeah the Leaf ain't boring, except in styling! People really need to dispel their opinions on EV's and take a test drive.

Elessar wrote: »

EDIT: Charging would be a pain though, I don't like the idea of having to run a cable to the car on the driveway every night.

It says alot that bmw have pitched this at 330i pricing in most markets.I read a quote stating that it should cost no more than the higher end petrol versions.
    Getting it as we are at bottom end pricing is very interesting.

mickdw wrote: »
    It says alot that bmw have pitched this at 330i pricing in most markets.I read a quote stating that it should cost no more than the higher end petrol versions.
    Getting it as we are at bottom end pricing is very interesting.

We're not, the EV grants are bringing the price down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Yeah the Leaf ain't boring, except in styling! People really need to dispel their opinions on EV's and take a test drive.

What do people with EVs do when they have to do a longer journey? Hire something else?

A place I worked at had Leafs/Leaves as pool cars and they were impressive to drive, but even a 10 mile journey had us worrying if it wasn't fully charged to start with.

I'd say my next car will be a hybrid, but I'd not consider a full EV. Too restricted.

What do people with EVs do when they have to do a longer journey? Hire something else?

A place I worked at had Leafs/Leaves as pool cars and they were impressive to drive, but even a 10 mile journey had us worrying if it wasn't fully charged to start with.

I'd say my next car will be a hybrid, but I'd not consider a full EV. Too restricted.

Worried about a 10 mile journey lol Range anxiety is a big issue at first for anyone but it fades quickly.
    If you need to go further we just fast charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Worried about a 10 mile journey lol Range anxiety is a big issue at first for anyone but it fades quickly.
    If you need to go further we just fast charge

...yeah but I drive to the Alps three times a year :-)

...yeah but I drive to the Alps three times a year :-)

Yeah no EV for you so!!!

• Advertisement

We're not, the EV grants are bringing the price down

I'm aware of that. My point is that it's a very interesting purchase, a no brainer really at the price we can have it for when bmw are placing it as a 330i competitor.
    I can imagine the new 530e will sell a good few when released.
    Mercedes c class with near identical tech and power is interesting too. I think its going to be alot more expensive though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement