Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330e

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I thought Golf Rs were going for around €40k, or has that low price ceased? If they're still going for €40k it's an absolute bargain for the amount of performance on offer!

By the time you add delivery,metallic,dsg,leather you are over 49k to get an R.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

carsfan wrote: »
    By the time you add delivery,metallic,dsg,leather you are over 49k to get an R.

Leather isn't standard:eek:? Presumably there's alcantara at least? Alcantara is nicer than leather, very rare but it's well worth having it if you can. Metallic is of course essential. I wouldn't bother with the DSG, though, don't get me wrong I've driven cars with it and I do like it (if this was a diesel I'd say DSG all the way) but I think a performance car like a Golf R should have a manual gearbox, petrol engines are far more fun to drive than diesels and part of that is a decent manual gearbox in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Alacantara is standard yes. Leather is 2k, pricey option imo. A 5 door dsg with metallic should be around 45k I'd say if buying straight.

Golf R and 330e are two very different cars aimed at doing different things obviously. I'd like to test drive the 330e when it lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I just realised bmw also do a hybrid (not a plug in) 5 series - 3.0 straight six turbo petrol plus electric, competitor to gs 450h
    Its an performance car so fuel consumption is low 20s mpg but would make a nice alternative for someone not doing a whole lot of miles.
    Is there a used one for sale in the country? No
    Did any actually sell here? I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The salesman I enquired with sent me this yesterday:

http://www.businesscar.co.uk/tests/2016/bmw-330e-test-drive-review

That recharge port is just asking for some scumbag to kick it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Actually drove the R, loved it and was offered a very good deal for a 161 coming from my gti but and I know people will say its stupid when you're contemplating a car of this price I was put off by 570euro road tax, sub 30 mpg, 50 grand for a golf!, plus the fact that VW have brought out cheap "R line" body kits for every golf model that make them look the same as the proper golf R.
    It is a savage car and I can't take anything away from the driving experience but in day to day driving probably not much better than my golf gti.

The R-lines look nothing like a real R to be fair...

I don't want to veer off topic but to me anyway at first glance the R lines do resemble the R especially from the front(quad exhausts at back or not make it easier here).Obviously somebody who knows their cars can tell the difference easily enough.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Alacantara is standard yes. Leather is 2k, pricey option imo. A 5 door dsg with metallic should be around 45k I'd say if buying straight.

Golf R and 330e are two very different cars aimed at doing different things obviously. I'd like to test drive the 330e when it lands.

Thanks for that. Alcantara is lovely. So really the only thing it needs IMHO is metallic, I'd certainly be sticking with the manual 'box if I was ordering one and now that I know there's alcantara as standard, I certainly wouldn't be bothering with the leather option either. To anyone thinking of ordering a Golf R, try alcantara first before simply ticking the box for leather - it's not money well spent if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I don't want to veer off topic but to me anyway at first glance the R lines do resemble the R especially from the front(quad exhausts at back or not make it easier here).Obviously somebody who knows their cars can tell the difference easily enough.

The r line doesn't add quad exhausts. It simply just adds small side skirts a different front and rear bumpers. The R stands out in comparison to cars with r line kit. Much lower stance than the normal golfs with an r line kit.

Just on plug in hybrid the GTE seems like a decent performer. Was looking at one when changing but only one VW garage in Ireland has the equipment to service the hybrid side of the car.

Do you think this will happen with BMW initially??

The alcantara on the R is in combination with normal cloth so doesn't look great in my view but each to their own. DSG makes the car smoother and faster in the real world but again whatever you prefer.
    R line makes regular golf look good.I know it doesn't have quad exhausts! I meant that it is an obvious way to differentiate a real R from a regular golf at the back.

Re. servicing, I never thought of that potential prob. but can't imagine the batteries need any much attention. Will ask the question if I ever get to drive one.

BMW just announced the new 740e which has same set up as X5 40e

• Advertisement

Got some pricing finally on the 330e.
    What they are doing and it makes perfect sense is knocking the 2.5k vrt rebate of the actual quoted price.
    They are then taking the 5k grant off any deposit payable so in my case the figures were for 30 percent deposit But the deposit payable by me is down by 5k.
    The result is an m sport with original price of 53550 is now 51050 with a gfv of 24243. A monthly of 414 with deposit of 10,300 from me and 5k from seai making the deposit of 30 percent.

The se is around 9k deposit and 395 monthly.

Hard to see any serious equity left in the car at end of deal though.

Those figures look ok to me?
    That is not expensive motoring for a brand new premium car which if your use is right for a hybrid should have cheap fuel costs and good performance.
    Mick could you let me know what dealer you're talking to. PM if you prefer.
    The lad I'm dealing with still didn't know the prices are up on bmw's own website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

mickdw wrote: »
    Got some pricing finally on the 330e.
    What they are doing and it makes perfect sense is knocking the 2.5k vrt rebate of the actual quoted price.
    They are then taking the 5k grant off any deposit payable so in my case the figures were for 30 percent deposit But the deposit payable by me is down by 5k.
    The result is an m sport with original price of 53550 is now 51050 with a gfv of 24243. A monthly of 414 with deposit of 10,300 from me and 5k from seai making the deposit of 30 percent.

The se is around 9k deposit and 395 monthly.

Hard to see any serious equity left in the car at end of deal though.

Does anyone have any solid figures for the equity left in a 320d after 3 years? The equity in this is key. I'd really like one of these.

Edit: the cheapest 131 m sport in Joe Duffy is asking 30k and that's a 316d. This is a much better machine I can see 10k being left in it if they prove good to live with. My interest in these is high but will keep an eye on this thread and elsewhere on the internet I don't have an urgent need to change, also let the salesmen learn a bit about them first!

bmwguy wrote: »
    Does anyone have any solid figures for the equity left in a 320d after 3 years? The equity in this is key. I'd really like one of these.
    It sure is the main issue.
    If there was 5k equity I'd be very happy as I was looking at putting 14k in now as deposit. With this deal, put in 10 k, hold the 4k and throw it at the next car.
    still I don't believe they will offer 29k when going back in 3 years. After all its just over 50k new - 60 percent retained value - I doubt it.

Did the dealer say anything about any further discount on a straight deal ?
    If the grant goes in the meantime that will push the residual up I suppose but an all new 3 series will be around in 3 years.
    If the car is very cheap to run over the time keeps that would be a saving in itself.

Did the dealer say anything about any further discount on a straight deal ?
    If the grant goes in the meantime that will push the residual up I suppose but an all new 3 series will be around in 3 years.
    If the car is very cheap to run over the time keeps that would be a saving in itself.

If the grant goes, the car will be worth more but still be harder to move into a new one.
    Mercedes pricing on the c350e will be interesting. I've a feeling it will be significantly higher?

I reckon the merc will be a more expensive less well equipped car at a higher interest rate.
    Based on the figures you have Mick I can't see much equity but the 5k saved on the initial deposit has to be factored in as a bonus, to have for the next deal.

I reckon the merc will be a more expensive less well equipped car at a higher interest rate.
    Based on the figures you have Mick I can't see much equity but the 5k saved on the initial deposit has to be factored in as a bonus, to have for the next deal.

The mercedes will be more or less current model in 3 years time . This 3 series will be finished. That's a major issue for me.

There is a very positive review of the 330e in the Sunday business post today. Says it's the best buy of all 3 series models now.

There is a very positive review of the 330e in the Sunday business post today. Says it's the best buy of all 3 series models now.

Its a bit simplistic to say it's best buy. If you are doing 1000 miles per week, it's the wrong car.
    It is certainly a great option for Someone wanting petrol

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Its a bit simplistic to say it's best buy. If you are doing 1000 miles per week, it's the wrong car.
    It is certainly a great option for Someone wanting petrol

Sounds like it's the best buy for just about everyone except Taxi drivers and some sales reps.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Sounds like it's the best buy for just about everyone except Taxi drivers and some sales reps.

Or anyone who does long distance journeys, you're never going to get the claimed fuel economy if you go from say Galway to Cork, 50 mpg is the best you'll get (and that's still really good for a petrol, but I bet a 320d would do at least 55 mpg on a similar run plus the fact that diesel is cheaper).

It's supposed to be a good car to drive as well, because despite the considerable extra weight, the batteries are mounted very low down in the car so the handling isn't really any worse than a standard 3 series.

Yeah
    There's no doubt that if you do longer journeys you're better in a diesel. but if a fair bit of your driving is urban or shorter distances then this will be good. Never mind that you don't have to listen to a diesel racket.

Or anyone who does long distance journeys, you're never going to get the claimed fuel economy if you go from say Galway to Cork, 50 mpg is the best you'll get (and that's still really good for a petrol, but I bet a 320d would do at least 55 mpg on a similar run plus the fact that diesel is cheaper).

It's supposed to be a good car to drive as well, because despite the considerable extra weight, the batteries are mounted very low down in the car so the handling isn't really any worse than a standard 3 series.

Well nobody only does long distance driving. If it'll only be 10% worse than a diesel on a long journey then it arguably makes the 320d pointless for all drivers as it'll perform much better on short journeys, has around 250bhp and will be more refined than even a 6 cylinder diesel.

I have a 520D which is obviously heavier than a 320d but only get 40mpg in mixed driving around Dublin. Usually get close to 50mpg on a long journey driving around 140. A 5 series version of this would make total sense for me and any other Dublin-based driver. There's a lot of 520D's in Dublin. Plus cities would be much quieter cleaner places with more cars like this.

I like this car but no way will it be within 10 percent of a diesel on a long run.
    I'm currently driving a 1.8 turbo petrol and get about 30 mpg.
    Driven similarly I'd expect the bmw 2.0 turbo to be only marginally better given the energy recovery onboard.
    As I say I don't think it's the car for anyone doing a lot of miles but if the typically daily drive can be done on electric or even 50 percent of the daily drive, You would be beating the diesels hands down.
    It also had the other market, people who would buy a petrol 3 series regardless of economy. The fact that you get a 330 for entry level money makes it a no brainer for that market too.

I have a 2.0 petrol golf gti.
    On a longer journey I can get 38-40 if I take it very very easy but usually low 30's is more likely. If I could get 45 plus on a longer journey with similar performance to what I have that would be good.
    A diesel on a longer journey is obviously better but not in town or stop start driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

We have a diesel bmw in the house. Monday to Friday the engine never even warms up. In that time it would do 75 miles. It gets the odd longer run at the weekend, but still doing more than 50 miles in a day would be rare for it. This type of car would make a lot of sense for that type of driving. Electric assistant to reduce mpg nearly all the time that came from charging at home/work.

More economical
    More powerful
    Much more refined

A lot of urban situations I imagine would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 volcan132

Hi all, I expect to be in the market for a new car in the near future. I have to admit the 330e really catches my eye. One thing in particular is giving me pause for thought. My daily work commute is 25 miles each way of which 20 miles each way are on rural roads of 80/100 km/h speed limits. Am I silly to be even thinking of a hybrid?

volcan132 wrote: »
    Hi all, I expect to be in the market for a new car in the near future. I have to admit the 330e really catches my eye. One thing in particular is giving me pause for thought. My daily work commute is 25 miles each way of which 20 miles each way are on rural roads of 80/100 km/h speed limits. Am I silly to be even thinking of a hybrid?
    You won't do it on all electric but id imagine with a full fill of electricity on board, it would make for excellent mpg over the entire journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have a 520D which is obviously heavier than a 320d but only get 40mpg in mixed driving around Dublin. Usually get close to 50mpg on a long journey driving around 140. A 5 series version of this would make total sense for me and any other Dublin-based driver. There's a lot of 520D's in Dublin. Plus cities would be much quieter cleaner places with more cars like this.
    the 530 e is due out next year, 25 mile electric only range...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement