Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330e

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Blazer wrote: »
    I have actually...I know its fantastic for it's 0mpg etc but I'd pick my car over it every day.
    This is my 3rd bmw and I love them..sure they have flaws but every car has.
    If they were bigger i'd get one of them and get a petrol 335i or something for weekends but too small for me at the moment.

Not just the 0mpg, it's a great car to drive - it'll beat most cars from the lights, and the battery in the base makes it very flat through corners. I'm not sure why you think it's small - it's only fractionally smaller inside than my previous Lexus GS300, a larger car than a 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

carsfan wrote: »
    Do you really get a plug point put in by the esb? I just assumed for home charging you could plug into a normal socket.

Voodoo
    Any word back from the dealer on deal on one?

No word on the PCP deal no. Will post if I hear something.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Not just the 0mpg, it's a great car to drive - it'll beat most cars from the lights, and the battery in the base makes it very flat through corners. I'm not sure why you think it's small - it's only fractionally smaller inside than my previous Lexus GS300, a larger car than a 3 series.

I mean small as in my family needs...with 2 kids that's 2 baby seats and the missus likes to bring half the house with her when travelling...
    I'll put it this way..the 5 series was too small so I downgraded to a santa fe and regretted it every day since. I swore as soon as I could I'd get another bmw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

@DaveHumphreys, as you are the only one to have driven this car could I ask would you have one over a 320d? Does it have the shove in the back that a torquey diesel gives when up and running?
    Do you think it will be a success in Diesel obsessed Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

@DaveHumphreys, as you are the only one to have driven this car could I ask would you have one over a 320d? Does it have the shove in the back that a torquey diesel gives when up and running?
    Do you think it will be a success in Diesel obsessed Ireland?

Worth noting that most of the reviews are UK based ones, in the UK the car only makes sense if you're a company car driver, who admittedly make up the majority of buyers in this class, it's more expensive than a like-for-like 330i and almost the same price as a 330d for private buyers. Also the diesels are so efficient that the car tax savings of the 330e are insignificant (£20 or €26 a year).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I got a PCP quote for 330e se & Msport.
    Firstly, no mention of rebate so the figures are all wrong.

Anyway, without the rebate, they are quoting

se at 447 per month with 30% deposit of 14800 on a 3 year deal with a gfv of 21 761 on a retail price of €49,520

M sport 465 per month with 30% deposit of 16000 with a gfv of just over 24k.

3.9% in both cases.
    Ive asked them about the rebate but from my own calcs, the 30% deposit would reduce by 2250 and the monthly would drop to under 390 quid allowing for gfv to drop by about 44% of 7500 too.

A bit bonkers they haven't got the 7.5 k rebate on the figures as it will completely change them?! Are those figures on a car with zero options.
    Any word on when a demo will be available?
    Have they had any much interest in the car?

I wasnt in with the dealer just e mailed last week and he came back today saying he was slow in responding due to waiting for gfv values from bmw finance. Seems like after all the delay, someone didnt do their homework.
    I dont know re demo but id wager mine was the first query with that dealer seeing as they are not aware of the rebate.

I wasnt in with the dealer just e mailed last week and he came back today saying he was slow in responding due to waiting for gfv values from bmw finance. Seems like after all the delay, someone didnt do their homework.
    I dont know re demo but id wager mine was the first query with that dealer seeing as they are not aware of the rebate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There's a slight doubt over the grants when it comes to PCP deals as they could be considered commercial and not private I believe. Initially BMW weren't quoting the full grants and then when they realized Nissan were allowing it they decided to include it.

You may want to get a quote from either Joe Duffy or Kearys who are used to pricing up PCP on the i3.

Well then they need to not quote for pcp at all then as who is going to sign up for finance on a deal that is pricing the car 7500 dearer than the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Will BMW not see the grant as a separate agreement between the customer and the state. As far as they are concerned the costs are what has been sent to you?

They have no control of the grant and it could change at any time.

I believe the max deposit they will allow is 30%, so maybe best to reduce the deposit by 7.5k as this is effectively what will happen.

You will pay 30% deposit to BMW (14,800) but get a cheque later from the state for 7,500. So your effective deposit is 7,300.

The rest of the figures remain unchanged.

However, it is more complicated for BMW as government schemes will impact GFV. If the grant is pulled it will put GFV up, if it is doubled it will put it down (not that that will happen)

You won't get a cheque for the grants. It's not any kind of rebate. It has to be processed by the dealer and you never see the money. So they do control it.

The schemes won't impact the GFV, guaranteed is in the name. It would impact the value at the time the deal ends so you could end up with more equity if the grants disappear or you hand back the keys as the car is worth less due to higher grants etc.

s.welstead wrote: »
    You won't get a cheque for the grants. It's not any kind of rebate. It has to be processed by the dealer and you never see the money. So they do control it.

The schemes won't impact the GFV, guaranteed is in the name. It would impact the value at the time the deal ends so you could end up with more equity if the grants disappear or you hand back the keys as the car is worth less due to higher grants etc.

Fair enough about the rebate being handled by the dealer.

What I meant by the GFV being impacted is that it may be difficult for BMW to decide on a GFV currently with the grant part being uncertain for them, they don't want to be to reserved and keep it safe and low as many buyers focus solely on the monthly payments and this will put them up.

But if they keep it high, future EV incentives could cause a situation where people are handing back cars with a market value less than the remaining finance owed.

Regardless of what the GFV, it's still 3.9% apr on the same car so total cost is unchanged.

I can't see the government giving you a grant cheque of 7.5 k on a car you don't own.
    I think another poster voodoo melon said the dealer told him bmw get the grant and reduce the price accordingly.
    They probably just haven't worked it into their system yet.
    I was thinking about this car however and wonder if in 3 years will it be a dinosaur in terms of hybrid tech ?
    If we buy now are we early adapters that may rue our decisions? Are we Betamax buyers when the forthcoming tesla etc are the vhs versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The grant is different between private and business customers, so perhaps that's why BMW are wary of publishing it. I've also been informed (not sure how true it is) that if you've had any sort of SEAI grant for any works, you won't qualify for the grant.

I can't see the government giving you a grant cheque of 7.5 k on a car you don't own.
    I think another poster voodoo melon said the dealer told him bmw get the grant and reduce the price accordingly.
    They probably just haven't worked it into their system yet.
    I was thinking about this car however and wonder if in 3 years will it be a dinosaur in terms of hybrid tech ?
    If we buy now are we early adapters that may rue our decisions? Are we Betamax buyers when the forthcoming tesla etc are the vhs versions?
    You could think that way about petrol/diesel also. You could also say the same about buying a new phone or anything relying on latest tech, there's always something new on the horizon that will outperform the current crop.
    If you're in the market though and it makes sense then go for it. Silly to hold off indefinitely.
    R.O.R wrote: »
    The grant is different between private and business customers, so perhaps that's why BMW are wary of publishing it. I've also been informed (not sure how true it is) that if you've had any sort of SEAI grant for any works, you won't qualify for the grant.
    Yes originally they had considered PCP as being a commercial lease and would only qualify for the 3800 and not the full 5k. It probably does need to be clarified where PCP falls under.
    First I've heard of not qualifying for the grant, you mean like grants for home improvements? I can't see that being true.
    Sure wouldn't that also impact anyone going for their 2nd EV purchase and not qualifying 2nd time around? Which hasn't been the case at all.

You could think that way about petrol/diesel also. You could also say the same about buying a new phone or anything relying on latest tech, there's always something new on the horizon that will outperform the current crop.
    If you're in the market though and it makes sense then go for it. Silly to hold off indefinitely.

I think carsfan has a point though. This is new tech completely for the mainstream from BMW. Phones and tech in your example for the most part evolve gradually. This is the first offering from BMW in this market and there is definitely more risk associated with being an early adopter. However, if this type of vehicle really takes off, the risk could apply to the 318d where in 5 years time no one wants one.

Im damn sure it will alter the gfv as offered from day one by bmw. The one as offered today was about 44 percent of retail price.
    If the car is then retailing at 7500 less due to government funding, that same gfv would be about 52% of retail price. Manufacturers generally dont go that high on the gfv

• Advertisement

I think the standard gfv on the 3 series is about 44 per cent on all models. No reason it should be different for this I suppose. Would give some peace of mind that you could hand it back if values dip badly on them.
    Any indication how long the 3.9 per cent will apply though?

The 3.9% is only until the end of the first quarter. New rates will be published in April. That can't be true about the SEAI grant, I think I availed of it to get a new boiler recently which effectively saves you peanuts, hardly grounds to stop me applying for a considerably larger one for a vehicle?

Frank Keane's had a large flow chart of how the grant application works, I should have taken a picture of it.

If you order before the end of March, do you think you could get the 3.9 rate even if the car not delivered until few weeks later but deal done ?
    In case the rates go up?
    I have a feeling bmw will maintain the rates however as they are getting beaten in sales well by Audi. 3 series figures were low enough if I remember .

I reckon they'll stay the same too. Yes you can place the order now and get this quarter's rate.

Still not sure what way this is panning out for me yet, a test drive will reveal all. Currently pumping cash in to the 7 series now too for suspension and transmission service which is diluting my thinking somewhat.

Yeah but you own your 7 series, with a pcp you won't but this may not matter.
    I do think you will find any 3 series even well kitted out to feel inferior, they are built to a lower quality level as they are a different price point.
    Still a good place to be but not the same level of luxury.

I wouldnt be making a big deal of the pcp.
    Its not magic. One can still come up with affordable repayments if putting up 13 or 14k as deposit and taking on traditional finance just over 5 years instead. That would leave you in a very similar position at year 3
    Sure, the payment might be 5 hundred plus going this way but even with the pcp, you would want to be saving an extra 100 per month to boost available deposit as there wouldn't be 13k equity in the car at year 3 on the pcp

Keane's rang me today with some prices. He asked me if i'd seen all the reviews popping up online, I said I had. He reckons now its going to be a popular car here.

I mentioned the potential problem regarding PCP and the grant, he said he had the "grant people" in a meeting on their premises that very moment (they run training courses at their dealership), said he'd find out for sure what way it was going to pan out.

Anyways I was half asleep when he rang me, but these are the figures I got. He simply subtracted the grant from the retail price and worked the figures out based on that.

I choose a deposit of €10,000.

Deposit €10,000
    Monthly payments of €772
    GFV €24476

Total price €62,268.

Thing is, I *think* he said he based those figures on a retail of €65,000 (like the first page).

So €65,000-€7,500 grant is €57500.

€62,268-€57,500 = €4768 interest which can't be right.

Might be a bit of a mixup regarding delivery and related charges.

Is this for the big spec car you had on the configurator?
    3.9 per cent apt I presume. Any mention is a demo. My dealer guy rang me today but I couldn't take the call. will try to get more info tomorrow.

Aye, the big spec. They're hefty monthlys, but the difference in the maximum deposit and €10k goes a long way towards making a dent in them.

What do you reckon a €65k 330e would be worth after 3 years? €35k? Not a bad equity figure of €10k to play with if so.

No word on a demo yet, he hung up agreeing to get me a date for a demo and to nail down the PCP/grant deal. He said the grant works much the same way as disability purchases work, its BMW that do the hard work, not the customer.

• Advertisement

A lot for a 3 series at the end of the day.
    Might be a sought after car in Dublin alright, less so in country dealers where diesel still the boss.
    I was thinking, if you drive say a 100 miles do you run out of electricity at some stage and then effectively have a 320i with the extra weight of the batteries?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement